Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park - "Fantastic Easter Special" - 4/4/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 08:56 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My favorite part was Kyle and Jesus in the jail cell. "You can never tell Eric Cartman about this." I had wondered why Kyle specifically got dragged along until that scene.
Old 04-05-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
My favorite part was Kyle and Jesus in the jail cell. "You can never tell Eric Cartman about this." I had wondered why Kyle specifically got dragged along until that scene.
That was my fav part also. That, and Jesus' subsequent death. I have no idea why, I just thought it was hilarious.
Old 04-05-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha, poor Kyle. Only killing Jesus because he was asked to, but then to see him flail about the jail cell spurting blood everywhere and just suffering as a result was priceless. No quick and painless death for this Savior.

Would that murder and rebirth of Jesus be considered a Dogma reference?
Old 04-05-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Would that murder and rebirth of Jesus be considered a Dogma reference?
I would think that would be more of a Bible reference.

BTW...the Krull weapon is the Glaive.

As far as Jesus putting on sunglasses after he caught the Glaive, isn't that a Wesley Snipes/Blade reference?
Old 04-05-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I laughed my ass off when the guy said it was a double cross and he was holding 2 crosses. Really solid episode.
Old 04-05-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but in Dogma they had to kill a comatose God so s/he could reappear in the church to stop Affleck.

I don't recall in the Bible the part where someone had to kill Jesus so he could teleport to where he was needed.
Old 04-05-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Ah, I see your point. I was thinking of the general reference of him dying and resurrecting.

Gotta give Matt and Trey one thing. There's not too many people who can cram the Bible, Dogma, Bill Donahue, the Pope, Blade, Easter bunnies, ninjas and Krull into about a minute of airtime and actually make it make sense.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 04-05-07 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
You know ... this explanation of the connection between the Easter Bunny and Jesus is as good as any other I've heard. And that Pope hat does fit perfectly with rabbit ears.
Easter falls where it does on the calander because the Catholics were trying to convert the Pagans, and it's easier to do so when you Transmogrify their feasts and holidays into your own. Easter, originally Ostera was the Pagan feast of Rebirth and Fertility, because winter had ended and nature started the cycle of growth once more. That's where our current symbols for Easter come from.

"Eggs are for fertility, Bunnies are for shagging." - Eddie Izzard

Doc

PS - I'm perfectly FINE with Southpark's explanation though, heh.
Old 04-05-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts
Why the fuck would Matt & Trey reference Dogma? That's just retarded. Why does everything have to be a reference?
Old 04-05-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems perfectly natural since they were dealing with the Catholic Church.

Also, is South Park not a show that is based around social and cultural commentary, including pop culture? You're right, though. Krull is ripe for an homage but Dogma is retarded.
Old 04-05-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Why the fuck would Matt & Trey reference Dogma? That's just retarded. Why does everything have to be a reference?
Yeah, I thought it was a desperate pull myself.. I'm not saying it is or isn't or that it would be "retarded" if it was, but it seems a bit too vague to say it was unless you were really, really digging for it.
Old 04-05-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts
As far as Matt & Trey's sensibilities go, a random Krull reference is much more apt (as it's a movie they grew up on, and more fitting of an homage) and in-line with the sort of thing South Park does than any sort of reference to something like Dogma. Even if they wanted to reference Dogma, they would go about it very different than that, as in, they'd make it funny and little more obvious and pointed.
Old 04-05-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
As far as Matt & Trey's sensibilities go, a random Krull reference is much more apt (as it's a movie they grew up on, and more fitting of an homage) and in-line with the sort of thing South Park does than any sort of reference to something like Dogma. Even if they wanted to reference Dogma, they would go about it very different than that, as in, they'd make it funny and little more obvious and pointed.
Neither of us can argue this point. I see it as so closely parallel with Dogma that I'll consider it a reference, you don't have to. Fair enough. But you have to admit that your "Krull is more of an influence on them than Dogma" is just as hypothetical.
Old 04-05-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Easter falls where it does on the calander because the Catholics were trying to convert the Pagans, and it's easier to do so when you Transmogrify their feasts and holidays into your own. Easter, originally Ostera was the Pagan feast of Rebirth and Fertility, because winter had ended and nature started the cycle of growth once more. That's where our current symbols for Easter come from.

Weren't most Christian holidays taken from Pagan spiritual days. Christmas, Easter, All Saints day(though they just kinda stole that one and changed the meaning behind it). And if Matt Groening is right even April Fools Days.
Great Episode though, anything that cracks on the Catholic League is pretty damn funny.
Old 04-05-07, 03:13 PM

Bill Donohue was one of the Catholic leaders who tried to get DOGMA banned, so the reference would make sense.
Old 04-05-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another little detail I noticed:

The tv/monitor that showed the last supper was branded "Cony".
Cony (also coney, or spanish: conejo) is another word for rabbit.
Old 04-05-07, 04:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Another little detail I noticed:

The tv/monitor that showed the last supper was branded "Cony".
Cony (also coney, or spanish: conejo) is another word for rabbit.
That's interesting, especially since "CONY" has been the show's standard "fake TV brand" for quite some time.
Old 04-05-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paradicelost
Weren't most Christian holidays taken from Pagan spiritual days. Christmas, Easter, All Saints day(though they just kinda stole that one and changed the meaning behind it). And if Matt Groening is right even April Fools Days.
Great Episode though, anything that cracks on the Catholic League is pretty damn funny.

Exactly. That's what Transmogrification is all about. You steal their holiday and make it fit with one of yours. Say what you want about the Da Vinci Code's truthiness, but the facts that Brown nailed were the explanations of where our current symbols came from. God looks like Zeus because it made it easier to convert the Romans. "Halos" are depicted as Circular yellow discs behind heads because That is how the Sun God Ra was always shown and it made it easier to convert the Egyptians.

We have Christmas Trees because the Pagans used them to symbolize male sexuality, and Christmas Wreaths to symbolize female reproduction (The Pagans were all about sex). Ironic considering Catholicism is largely about the demonization of sex when at one of their holiest of holidays the whole family's sitted around what is essentially a giant Phallace with a green vagina hanging on their door.

Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 04-05-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 06:01 PM
Banned

The start of this episode (Stan's family sitting around discussing Easter) would make a great Jim Gaffigan bit.....oh, wait...
Old 04-05-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
I thought the episode was extremely disappointing considering the previous episodes. I did get laugh out loud at the ninjas jumping through the windows. I also laughed at Kyle murdering Jesus. Outside of that, it was average, at best.
Old 04-05-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. At first when Stan's dad came out of the bathroom I thought it was a Teen Wolf reference.

Possibly the two funniest things I've ever seen on South Park occurred in this episode:
"PEEEPS!"
and
the Krull Reference. At first it wasn't terribly funny, but the way Jesus caught the weapon when it came back had me laughing for a good 2 minutes.
Old 04-06-07, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's just that South Park has gotten to be so big, the majority of its audience expects Trey and Matt have some moral to each episode, and signific cultural references.

I watch each episode, and enjoy them, but miss when they were just funny without having to parody something specific.
Old 04-06-07, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh man, Cartman would love to hear about Kyle killing Jesus. I wish that could've been part of the episode.
Old 04-06-07, 08:26 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
the Krull Reference. At first it wasn't terribly funny, but the way Jesus caught the weapon when it came back had me laughing for a good 2 minutes.
I picked up on that as well though I thought, "they couldn't possibly be referencing Krull, could they?"
Old 04-06-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I picked up on that as well though I thought, "they couldn't possibly be referencing Krull, could they?"
Has anyone been able to find a screencap of that yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.