Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race All Stars -- "If I Were In Town..." 2 Hrs. Episode -- 04/01/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Charla and Mirna continue to impress despite finishing fourth. They are what the word "teamwork" is all about. I really like how Mirna is always there with encouraging words to help Charla get through the tasks. I doubt Charla would have made it through that final Roadblock if not for Mirna's constant encouragement. I also like how Mirna's not afraid to give Charla some tough love when the moment calls for it.

I was really shocked by how poorly Charla and Mirna were treated in Poland. Are Polish people generally that rude and abrasive? Thank god they found that cute young girl to help them get to the X-ray place. I suspect tourism to Poland is going to take a significant hit after viewers see how badly Charla and Mirna were treated by the locals. Especially that sleazy cab driver who tried to rip them off. It's things like this that make me glad I live in America.

Uchenna and Joyce need to go next. They bring very little to the show.
Old 04-02-07, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silt
A+

This was a great night for The Amazing Race!!! hahaha

Should be a good race to the finish from here, hope Charla tops herself in the upcoming episodes.
Old 04-02-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I suspect tourism to Poland is going to take a significant hit after viewers see how badly Charla and Mirna were treated by the locals. Especially that sleazy cab driver who tried to rip them off. It's things like this that make me glad I live in America.
I guess I was watching a different show. On the show I was watching I saw Mirna be pushy with the locals like every other week and insanely crying to get what she wants. They are attractive young women after all so the cab driver should want to lead them around for free.
Old 04-02-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one time where AR editing didn't matter with who would be going home. You could see Eric and Danielle coming up the path when Joe and Bill got checked in.
Old 04-02-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I was really shocked by how poorly Charla and Mirna were treated in Poland. Are Polish people generally that rude and abrasive?
No, someone called ahead and told the country that Mirna was a bitch.
Old 04-02-07, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Charla and Mirna continue to impress despite finishing fourth. They are what the word "teamwork" is all about.
Teamwork. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! All Mirna did was rag on Charla the whole episode.
Old 04-02-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was perhaps the most poorly planned leg I've ever seen on this show. Already mentioned that because of the Intersection, the Guidos really had little chance to build a 30 minute gap over anyone. Even more stupid was putting the Fast Forward at the same point as the Intersection. First they ensure that 3 teams will have a huge gap on the other 3 teams, then ensure that the first 2 teams that actually get there will use the FF as they will have a 4-hour window to complete the FF task with no other competition.

The Intersection is the worst idea ever on this show. The whole point is to be the best team and this possibly links a good team with a shitty team based on pure luck. Stupid idea.
Old 04-02-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
It was like an old garbage can falling over - twice.

The Intersection was an interesting concept, although I can't say it particularly well-placed this leg. It made it almost impossible for the Guidos to make up 30 minutes - the only way they really could have done it was driving to the castle (and the other team getting lost). I also didn't care for coupling the FF with it. The 2 teams absolutely knew that they could take the FF and take their time doing it, knowing they had a 4-hour cushion to get it done. There was zero risk factor in taking the FF, plus it was a remarkably easy FF.

The best part of the intersection was D&K trying to hide from Mirna and Schmirna so they could draw a better team to partner with.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-02-07 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 08:46 AM

Good episodes, but lousy race planning. On one hand, you'd love to reward superior teams that get ahead by sustaining double-digit hour leads, but I understand that's bad TV. I have no doubt there was some producing hands in the "Wait for your charter bus tomorrow afternoon" to get the teams bunched a little more.

Intersection is fine, but poorly placed this time. If the non-eliminations are truly random, they didn't have a choice. I agree that having the FF at the Intersection was just a bad idea. I miss having one FF per game available to all teams. Made for exciting days seeing the two teams in last racing to the FF against one another. I'd also like to see something like a Fork In The Road or Extended Detour where teams have a chooice in going to other countries to do tasks ("Continue the Race in Paris, France or Hamburg, Germany") and have them meet back up at the Pit Stop.
Old 04-02-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wouldnt they have had a yield by now?

Danielle and Eric are the worst racers ever. The Beauty Queens can really win this if they step up and race smart like last night. They only got screwed at the intersection. I love the Cha cha's and wouldnt mind if they won, but they gotta get serious and just more intense about it, but its not really their style. The rest can all go at one time for all I care. It will take many months of therapy to get the picture of Charla throwing up over the trashcan.
I think Mirna was especially rude to the cabdrivers. I was expecting them to walk away.
Old 04-02-07, 10:02 AM

I've said it before in these threads, but this show really needs to clean house behind the scenes, because the people there now have almost completely run out of creative ideas (and intelligence) when planning legs. Aside from the Charla faceplants, the final roadblock (if you can call walking down a street leading a horse a task) was the same "dress the racers in funny outfits" BS that helped make Family Edition the disaster that it was.
I was really shocked by how poorly Charla and Mirna were treated in Poland. Are Polish people generally that rude and abrasive?
A whole country full of people who hate Mirna? Doesn't sound too bad to me.

I don't usually believe in producer interference, but I'm really tempted to call bullshit on this scene:

Mirna: Doesn't anyone here speak English
Conveniently-Appearing English Speaker: I speak English!
Mirna: Do you know where (small, inconspicuous x-ray clinic) is?
Conveniently-Appearing English Speaker who happens to know location of small Polish x-ray clinics: Yes!
Old 04-02-07, 10:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't find it unlikely that somebody who works or lives in the area would know where a clinic, no matter how small, is. I could direct people to several small businesses near my home or work that I myself have never visited.
Old 04-02-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
No, someone called ahead and told the country that Mirna was a bitch.

Seriously, I guess she got frustrated that her fake accent wasn't instantly decipherable by Polish speakers.

The best from Mirna and Schmirna though, other than the horse incident, was the comment about tuning the pianos. "I'm sure one of them is loose, let's just tighten them all." I wasn't sure whether to laugh or be horrified.

I'm enjoying all the other teams though... wouldn't have a problem with any of them winning it.
Old 04-02-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung

Seriously, I guess she got frustrated that her fake accent wasn't instantly decipherable by Polish speakers.

The best from Mirna and Schmirna though, other than the horse incident, was the comment about tuning the pianos. "I'm sure one of them is loose, let's just tighten them all." I wasn't sure whether to laugh or be horrified.

I'm enjoying all the other teams though... wouldn't have a problem with any of them winning it.

I'd love to know what she scored on her LSAT.
Old 04-02-07, 10:26 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Forget about asking if they speak English, once they were asked if they speak.
Old 04-02-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Charla and Mirna continue to impress despite finishing fourth. They are what the word "teamwork" is all about. I really like how Mirna is always there with encouraging words to help Charla get through the tasks.
Mirna, is that you? And if not, can I have some of what you're smoking?
Old 04-02-07, 10:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I can't believe that travel agent let Mirna sit there and yell at her for seven hours.
Old 04-02-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was surprised that Mirna and Charla managed to tone down their Ugly American schtick while they were at Auschwitz. I expected them to say something obnoxious in a fake German accent.
Old 04-02-07, 10:43 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 1pm/5pm bus rides were arranged at that time to make sure the teams got bunched up, logistically it had to happen, hell the other teams were leaving as phil was still checking in the arriving guidos.

So that meant phil then had to get on a plane and / or whatever mode of transport to get to the next checkin in double quick time.

It's not the best part of the race, but its how it works.
Old 04-02-07, 11:14 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I wasn't happy that it was the BQs who got hurt by the Intersection, it is a reminder to the teams that they can't take anything for granted. The BQs weren't really hustling at that point because they had a big lead over half the field and it ended up biting them. I kind of like the suggestion above about giving teams a choice of countries in which to do the next task. To take that idea further, how about splitting the teams up and making each individual do a different task and then come back together at some point? That would ensure that one strong team member can't just carry a weaker member. They could do that at this point in the race because there is less than half the field left. They'd have about the same camera/sound requirements as at the beginning of the race.
Old 04-02-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Charla and Mirna continue to impress despite finishing fourth. They are what the word "teamwork" is all about. I really like how Mirna is always there with encouraging words to help Charla get through the tasks. I doubt Charla would have made it through that final Roadblock if not for Mirna's constant encouragement. I also like how Mirna's not afraid to give Charla some tough love when the moment calls for it.

I was really shocked by how poorly Charla and Mirna were treated in Poland. Are Polish people generally that rude and abrasive? Thank god they found that cute young girl to help them get to the X-ray place. I suspect tourism to Poland is going to take a significant hit after viewers see how badly Charla and Mirna were treated by the locals. Especially that sleazy cab driver who tried to rip them off. It's things like this that make me glad I live in America.

The Amazing Race - Bizzaro Edition
Old 04-02-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You mean other than having won the race?
Old 04-02-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that was a great couple of legs. It was nice to finally see Dustin and Kandice back in top form. It's too bad they got screwed in the end. They made the best of it tho and still managed to finish first among the pack they were with. I expect them to do well the rest of the way and come down to it with Cha cha cha and Uchenna and Joyce.

After listening to some of the things Uchenna has said the last couple of episodes, he seems like a deep, interesting guy. He and Joyce, although boring, are great people I think and I've enjoyed having them around. They, especially Uchenna, is really taking in all of the stuff they are seeing.

Has anyone ever tried out for TAR? I am trying to talk my buddy Chris into doing it with me.

The intersection stuff is a shame, because the Beauty Queens would have been clearly in first for the second leg of this episode, too. Sucks. They stay positive and happy tho...I like that. They don't complain about shit, they just deal with it and make their lemonade. It shows that they have stepped it up the last couple weeks.

Dustin in the Gap Knight line... She could go medieval on my ass anytime.
Old 04-02-07, 01:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung

even better was that they thought the angle tool was to clean the strings because they were dirty, not to actually find the problem string.
Old 04-02-07, 03:19 PM

Thank God that half pint doesnt live near me. Everytime I see her I want to punch her in the face... she reminds me (and acts) like an aunt of mine. I havent punched my aunt though

Loved seeing her fall on her face. I was reminded on Linguo losing power and shutting down. Great idea to break the fall with your face, dumbshit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.