Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Season 3 (BBC) General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
OMG, I'm running around the house like a madman! What a great episode! I've never seen the Doctor so desperate and trying to "catch up" with the villain.

I can not wait until next week....then I have nothing to do with my life until the next X-Mas story.
Old 06-24-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, about the only complaint I have with this episode is: the Doctor escapes from the far distance future in the very first scene! I was kinda hoping for a bit more there.

Now, we all knew the government guys with Martha's family would play into the season-long arc. How many knew the "Saxon" signs would? For that matter, how many even noticed them all season? I think I noticed one a few episodes ago, but promptly paid no attention to it.

I had forgotten until the Confidential that the actor playing the Master was in Life on Mars.

I wonder how the Confidential could get Eric Roberts to spare a few minutes out of his busy schedule for an interview?
Old 06-24-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You got to love big flying balls of death. And we get to see timelord city. Great episode all around.
Old 06-24-07, 05:41 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new companion Martha is a lot better than Rose too.
Old 06-24-07, 07:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm surprised everybody liked this episode so much. I thought the Master was too manic, nobody behaved in a realistic fashion, and the storyline was not at all engaging. The aging 100 years thing was ridiculous as well (plus it's been done before).

I did like the special FX, the jelly babies, and the Gallifrey flashbacks. Hopefully next week is good.

By the way, season 3 premieres early July on Sci-Fi channel.
Old 06-24-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
By the way, season 3 premieres early July on Sci-Fi channel.
I'll be there!
Old 06-25-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait. I know I can "obtain" the Season 3 eps by other means (like some friends have) but I'd like to have them week by week on Sci-Fi, something to look forward to.

From what I have gleaned this was a good season. How many "Girl in the Fireplace" caliber eps would ya'll say are in Season 3?
Old 06-25-07, 08:28 AM

Smith and Jones was a pretty good opener.

Episode 3 (Gridlock) was also classic Who. Good Stuff.

Then IMO it dragged until about episode Episode 7 (42)

Episode 8 (Human Nature), and Episode 9 (Family Of Blood) were some of the best that this series has had to offer. Right up there with Girl In The Fireplace.

Episode 10 (Blink) was a Doctor Lite episode that was just unbelievable...

And so far Episodes 11 (Utopia), and 12 (The Sound Of Drums) have been enjoyable. I'm not sure I would say they were as good as the last 3, but still better than the beginning of the season. They were fun for me because Captain Jack was back and we get The Master.....Jacobi and Simms have both given very different takes on The Master. Simms portayal is somewhere between the Joker, and the Mayor from Buffy.

We'll see how the last one goes.

Last edited by Evil; 06-25-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 08:43 AM
Cool New Member

For me, the only two episodes that dragged the series were the Dalek episodes. Everything else has been very good. The last for eps I've seen (Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink, and Utopia) have really raised the bar. I can't believe the Daleks have actually been the low point this series!
Old 06-25-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though I've watched all the episodes so far via brain implants, I'm still going to watch them on CBC - I think season three's been way better than season two.
Old 06-25-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TwilightZone
I can't believe the Daleks have actually been the low point this series!
Agreed. How depressing is that? Thought 42 was a bit 'meh' as well, but overall the seasons been more hits than misses.

Like the Valeyard said. It's gonna be a looong summer without Who. I get my episodes straight from the source. I refuse to watch the Sci-Fi channel broadcasts since those bastards tend to cut the episodes for commercials.
Old 06-25-07, 11:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'm surprised everybody liked this episode so much. I thought the Master was too manic, nobody behaved in a realistic fashion, and the storyline was not at all engaging. The aging 100 years thing was ridiculous as well (plus it's been done before).
Unrealistic behaviour on a tv science fiction show? What were they thinking of?

Although the aging thing was done before, the link was a deliberate one - telegraphed ahead - so can't fairly really be ascribed to failure of the imagination.
Originally Posted by Chew
Well, about the only complaint I have with this episode is: the Doctor escapes from the far distance future in the very first scene! I was kinda hoping for a bit more there.
With one bound, he was free. A staple of pulp fiction/adventure stories to which maybe this is a knowing nod?
Now, we all knew the government guys with Martha's family would play into the season-long arc. How many knew the "Saxon" signs would? For that matter, how many even noticed them all season? I think I noticed one a few episodes ago, but promptly paid no attention to it.
Listen to the background beat in the link I posted in May.
Originally Posted by Jadow
The new companion Martha is a lot better than Rose too.
I agree although I don't really like the unrequited love sub-plot.

I wonder whether everything will be wrapped up in episode 13 or if there'll be loose ends to be concluded in the Yuletide ep.

Last edited by benedict; 06-25-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Master is great. I love this guy. He is over the top, but I much prefer that in this series setting. A calculating Master might be a little boring? Even though there have been Saxon plants throughout the series, I almost wish they could have been laying seeds (like really doing it) since series 1. That isn't realistic, but a boy can dream. I'm pretty happy with how they've handled it, though I think the "bad wolf" foreshadowing was done a lot better (which is a compliment to that and not a knock on Saxon).

I thought this season got off to a shaky, albeit enjoyable, start. Boy have they really turned this ship around.
Old 06-25-07, 05:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Even though there have been Saxon plants throughout the series, I almost wish they could have been laying seeds (like really doing it) since series 1. That isn't realistic, but a boy can dream. I'm pretty happy with how they've handled it, though I think the "bad wolf" foreshadowing was done a lot better [....]
Not as far back as you'd've liked, but I believe that there was a headline relating to Saxon in a newspaper being read by the Peter Kay alien character in Season Two's Lite episode.
Old 06-26-07, 02:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You know what i love ?

When David Tennant's the Doctor runs, he runs like a typical nerd at school ! lol So it really sells the character as being non threatening on the surface but capable of deadly stuff.
Old 06-26-07, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by benedict
Unrealistic behaviour on a tv science fiction show? What were they thinking of?
Just because it's science fiction doesn't mean you can't have honest, human, reactions to what's going on. See Battlestar Galactica, for instance.

By the way, when they mentioned that everybody liked Saxon, but nobody could articulate why...did anybody else think of:
Spoiler:
Old 06-26-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't.
Old 06-26-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just because it's science fiction doesn't mean you can't have honest, human, reactions to what's going on. See Battlestar Galactica, for instance.
To be fair though, BSG is a totally different beast than Who is. The Master's maniacal bwa-hahaha evilness fit in well with the tone of the show I found.

The aging thing did seem like a weird device. He did that just to slow him up, right?
Old 06-27-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am catching up so just saw Blink the other night. I thought it was great.
Watched Utopia last night. Very interesting so far but how has Jacks personality changed back to the way he was before on DoctorWho?? He is not quite as fun or interesting on Torchwood.
Old 06-27-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
He is not quite as fun or interesting on Torchwood.
That's because Torchwood isn't as fun or as interesting.
Old 06-27-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's because Torchwood isn't as fun or as interesting.
True. Very true. They changed what was so likable about him and put him in with a bunch of other characters that...weren't so intereting and...
Old 06-28-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Helps that Who has better writers.
Old 06-28-07, 03:27 PM

(I hope this works, I always screw up embedding videos)

Whogasm:

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLnk-A1OkKk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>
Old 06-29-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(the link works fine, btw)
Old 06-29-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Here's an interesting BBC documentary on the history of Doctor Who (made in 1999 before the re-launch of the show) - in total it's 30 minutes long:

Doctor Who: Adventures In Time And Space (Part 1)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIfqBhO7ep8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIfqBhO7ep8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Doctor Who: Adventures In Time And Space (Part 2)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjfTe4abD4g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjfTe4abD4g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Doctor Who: Adventures In Time And Space (Part 3)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7SKks645SMA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7SKks645SMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Doctor Who: Adventures In Time And Space (Part 4)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/darnPy1uar0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/darnPy1uar0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Doctor Who: Adventures In Time And Space (Part 5)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieJknpLFcyE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieJknpLFcyE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.