Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica...... worth it?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-18-07, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i realize i may be completely lambasted for this, but how good is this series? i was a fan of the old sci-fi series, does this in anyway resemble it or just a roundabout means of drawing people in? i have heard alot of really good things about this, but havent checked it out. start watching? are episodes available online? give up and go back into my cave? just trying to get an idea of what i may be missing.
Old 03-18-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first two seasons are very worth picking up on DVD. The first part of season 3 is good as well. Unfortunately the execs at Sci Fi have stepped in and screwed with the series, making the second half of season 3 almost unwatchable.
Old 03-18-07, 09:59 PM

is it still more scif or moreso political? (a reason i had a hard time watching Babylon5) i honestly dont know alot about the series as is right now
Old 03-18-07, 10:14 PM
Banned

Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it? <-- 3 page thread

Battlestar Galactica new series, good to buy blind?

Don't ask me why I did your search for you. I honestly don't know. I only linked you to a couple of the relevant threads though. Your own search will aid you greatly. I agree with MovieExchange though about this current season. The first two are must see.
Old 03-18-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Being Scifi does not necesarily mean it can't be political. There's plenty of both, esp here in Season 3. True, S3 has stumbled apparently due to network interference, but they've apparently backed off for the season finale and it's back to it's old ways: some really intense shit.

Regardless, the first two seasons are completely worth it, and a DVD collection would definitely feel incomplete without S3.

And just to sell the scif bit a little more, the fourth episode of S3 contains one of the most amazing attack sequences ever put to film. Makes the Picard Manuever look like a senior citizen ice cream social.
Old 03-18-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Being Scifi does not necesarily mean it can't be political. There's plenty of both, esp here in Season 3. True, S3 has stumbled apparently due to network interference, but they've apparently backed off for the season finale and it's back to it's old ways: some really intense shit.

Regardless, the first two seasons are completely worth it, and a DVD collection would definitely feel incomplete without S3.

And just to sell the scif bit a little more, the fourth episode of S3 contains one of the most amazing attack sequences ever put to film. Makes the Picard Manuever look like a senior citizen ice cream social.
Exodus part II beats out the episode of B5 where they finally go to war with earth as one of the most kick ass sci-fi episodes ever....

AAMOF, ALL of new Caprica kicks ass
Old 03-18-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a good show, much better than the old show but it is veryyy dry and very dark. Most people I know, who like Sci Fi, have given up on it for this very reason.
Old 03-19-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I thought the Picard manuever was that thing he did with his tunic.

If so, what Adama did in Exodus Part 2 was definitely more exciting
Old 03-19-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Season 1 is a must-see, IMO. Compelling performances, great action, awesome SFX and some original story-telling.

Season 2 is sort of hit-or-miss but the finale more than made up for any of that season's inconsistancies.

Season 3 has been a HUGE drag, but I'm confident the show will eventually get back on track.

So, not the season 1-'til now excellence of The Shield or Rome or The Wire, but definitely the best sci-fi on TV and worth a visit.
Old 03-19-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Might be showing nerd colors but isn't it the move where he has his ship go to warp for .01 seconds? To the other ship, it looks like the ship is in too spots.
Old 03-19-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Might be showing nerd colors but isn't it the move where he has his ship go to warp for .01 seconds? To the other ship, it looks like the ship is in too spots.
I'll proudly show my nerd colors: The original Picard Manuever referred to blasting into warp for a fraction of a second during a battle to appear to be in two places at once, thus confusing your opponent. A little bit after that, when they went to the two piece uniforms, Patrick Stewart was constantly adjusting his uniform top on camera, causing some of the cast and crew to also dub that "the Picard Manuever".

rant
While recently watching The Battle (where the Picard Manuever was introduced), I realized it's not really that big of a deal if you know it's coming. It's a psychological trick, one that I'm sure would make a shipload of Ferengi wet their shorts, but to someone like Riker (with folks like Data, Worf, et all) on the Enterprise with him, it shouldn't have been that scary. Riker makes a big deal of telling Data to come up with a counter manuever, but it's not really needed. All Riker has to do is pump all power into the forward shields, and stall Picard until they can destroy the mind control device. This is actually a very good example of poor writing, in that they could have easily had a character in the show say "it's only a psychological trick, since we know it's coming, we just have to figure out how to stall him". The show is enjoyable just to see what the Stargazer looked like, but it's certainly not the pinnacle of TNG's writing, and it quite frankly cheapens the legend of Picard by making The Picard Manuever so non-awe-inspiring. Even the staunchest of Klingon commanders would hesitate before trying to pull off the Adama Manuever.
/rant
Old 03-20-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it kind of sucks and is very highly overrated for some reason.

Early on the camera work was atrocious, which has been fixed more recently,
but the stories go nowhere and the humans make such idiotic decisions you
want them to die.

Plus this whole "Cylons as humans" thing is incredibly contrived and dumb.

Then again, you might like it, so why not check out an ep or two and see?
Old 03-21-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Just remember to start with the Miniseries first. The TV series carries on immediately after the Miniseries and anyone who hasn't seen that first will be completely lost.
Old 03-21-07, 06:32 PM

yes its worth it, an excellent show, one of the best on tv.
Old 03-21-07, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Season 1 is a must-see, IMO. Compelling performances, great action, awesome SFX and some original story-telling.

Season 2 is sort of hit-or-miss but the finale more than made up for any of that season's inconsistancies.

Season 3 has been a HUGE drag, but I'm confident the show will eventually get back on track.

So, not the season 1-'til now excellence of The Shield or Rome or The Wire, but definitely the best sci-fi on TV and worth a visit.

i would say season 2 was fantastic too, and season 3 most of it was great( especially the rescue mission on the planet was WOW!), the last few episodes have been so-so but they have been getting better
Old 03-22-07, 07:33 AM

There were a few episodes in season 3 that were sub-par but they are the exception, the rest of season 3 has been kick ass along with the first two seasons. I think the few episodes that weren't so great in this third season have really punished the show for some people here but when you look back most of the season has actually been good. The real problem is the standalone or "filler" episodes which are the ones I'm referring to, and even some of these episodes were pretty damn good.

Anyhow OP to answer your question, watch the miniseries and if you like it, you're going to like the series.
Old 03-22-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

If so, what Adama did in Exodus Part 2 was definitely more exciting
Is the Picard manuever like the venus butterfly from LA Law?
Old 03-22-07, 11:52 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

CAUTION: The miniseries lays the groundwork for the series BUT ... it's pretty mediocre compared to the series itself.
Old 03-22-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrE
CAUTION: The miniseries lays the groundwork for the series BUT ... it's pretty mediocre compared to the series itself.
People keep on saying that and frankly... I don't see it. While the series is great, I thought the mini-series was very good also. It's not like there's some dramatic shift from mini-series to series. Heck, if the mini-series was so mediocre, we wouldn't even have the series. Anyway, people should just watch and form their own opinions.
Old 03-22-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
People keep on saying that and frankly... I don't see it. While the series is great, I thought the mini-series was very good also. It's not like there's some dramatic shift from mini-series to series. Heck, if the mini-series was so mediocre, we wouldn't even have the series. Anyway, people should just watch and form their own opinions.
I agree 100%. I rented the mini-series on a whim without knowing much about the series and I immediately fell in love it.

Rent the mini. If you like this, you'll probably enjoy the series.
Old 03-22-07, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
I think it kind of sucks and is very highly overrated for some reason.

Early on the camera work was atrocious, which has been fixed more recently,
but the stories go nowhere and the humans make such idiotic decisions you
want them to die.

Plus this whole "Cylons as humans" thing is incredibly contrived and dumb.

Then again, you might like it, so why not check out an ep or two and see?
It sounds like you've watched a lot of this show, considering it kind of sucks and is very highly overrated.

I haven't seen yet, but I plan on checking it out one of these days.
Old 03-22-07, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
It sounds like you've watched a lot of this show, considering it kind of sucks and is very highly overrated.

I haven't seen yet, but I plan on checking it out one of these days.
Yeah I have tried really hard to like it, given the widespread acclaim, the fact that I like Sci-Fi, and my GF watches it. But, other than a few decent episodes here and there it hasn't really worked for me.

But yeah it pretty much sucks. The premise is weak and so is the execution.
Old 03-22-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So did I.
Old 03-23-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me, the new Battlestar Galactica is pretty much the best hard science fiction show I've ever encountered, with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel being the best sci-fi/fantasy shows. The miniseries hooked me entirely - gritty, intelligent, incredibly exciting and shockingly character driven for a miniseries. Season 1 was superb ("33" might have been the best and most fully formed premier episode of any series ever), season 2 was, if anything, somewhat underrated. I think the complaints about season 3 have more to do with too many stand alone/"filler" episodes than that they lack in overall quality or suffer from poor execution. The writing and directing has been uniformly top flight and the actors have been genuinely amazing. Some were just hired for the miniseries or an episode or two and much like James Marsters and Emma Caulfield from the Buffyverse shows, they've turned out to be incredibly lucky finds.

Some of the best episodes, IMHO:

Act of Contrition
Kobol's Last Gleaming, Parts 1 + 2
Home, Parts 1 + 2
Pegasus
Resurrection Ship, Parts 1 + 2
Lay Down Your Burdens, Parts 1 + 2 (Part 2 is scary good. Astonishing)
Occupation
Exodus, Part 2 (contains the greatest tactical space battle sequence ever filmed, TV or movies)
Unfinished Business
Old 03-23-07, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
I think the complaints about season 3 have more to do with too many stand alone/"filler" episodes than that they lack in overall quality or suffer from poor execution. The writing and directing has been uniformly top flight and the actors have been genuinely amazing.

I dissagree. I've been one of the most vocal critics of Season 3 and it has nothing to do with episodes being "filler". I have no problem with "filler" episodes of anything. My problem is with the plot lines, the writing, and the acting. Particularly the
Spoiler:
"bickering couples" story, the "final 5" story, the "algae planet" story (where Tyrol easily turned in the worst acting performance of any cast member this entire series IMO "I just need a little more time!") etc. etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.