Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life Without The OC

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life Without The OC

I seriously can't stand this anymore. I miss all the Seth bantar....the fights....Julie's quips...Sandy's bagel munching, Taylor's funny idiosyncrcies. I seriously do not understand why Fox pulled such a great show. I don't understand why Fox ended this show? I'm sure people are going to mention numbers, but that's just the fickle public.

I want Fox to bring The OC back dammit.
Old 03-16-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the 1st and 4th seasons but it was the show's own fault for getting cancelled after sputtering out in seasons 2 and 3.

In the end though, its hard to get worked up over a show only getting 4 seasons when brilliant shows like Firefly and Freaks and Geeks can't get even get 1.
Old 03-16-07, 08:15 PM
Banned

THis was a seminal show. The OC will go down as one of the great teen dramas of all-time.

Its not the shows fault...its stupid viewers who always want something new. I watched The OC from beginning to end, and I have never had as much fun watching a show.

My only real gripe was Jimmy Cooper. I would have loved to have seen Julie and Jimmy get back together in the end, after the horrible ordeal with Marissa.
Old 03-16-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dalvin
THis was a seminal show. The OC will go down as one of the great teen dramas of all-time.
This may be true, but one thing to remember is that many people consider the third season to be apsolutely horrible, and most fans didn't tune in for the fourth season. Now while it is a show worth remembering, it is still unclear if it will be remembered years down the line like "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Dawson's Creek"
Old 03-16-07, 10:55 PM
Suspended

I never even noticed it was gone.
Old 03-17-07, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
life without hearing about the OC is a good life, actually life without most of FOX's programming would be a good life, no more AI & i would be really happy.
Old 03-17-07, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nateman241
life without hearing about the OC is a good life, actually life without most of FOX's programming would be a good life, no more AI & i would be really happy.

I don't think you and I would get along to well as roomates.
Old 03-17-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Though I liked The OC and was glad the show went out on top creatively, I think it's best days were behind it.

Watch Friday Night Lights on NBC if your looking for a teen drama fix. IMO, one of the best new dramas this season.
Old 03-17-07, 01:30 PM

I seriously can't stand this anymore. I miss all the Seth bantar....the fights....Julie's quips...Sandy's bagel munching, Taylor's funny idiosyncrcies. I seriously do not understand why Fox pulled such a great show. I don't understand why Fox ended this show? I'm sure people are going to mention numbers, but that's just the fickle public.

I want Fox to bring The OC back dammit.
watch the dvds it's what they are there for
Old 03-17-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I loved the 1st and 4th seasons but it was the show's own fault for getting cancelled after sputtering out in seasons 2 and 3.
Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. If Josh Schwartz hadn't abandoned the show after its first season, it might not have gone into the crapper its next two years.

But look at the bright side. It reverse jumped the shark in its fourth season and finished on a high note with one of the better series finales I've seen. Plus Autumn Reeser has already been cast in a pilot for the fall.
Old 03-17-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Its not the shows fault...its stupid viewers who always want something new. I watched The OC from beginning to end, and I have never had as much fun watching a show.

My only real gripe was Jimmy Cooper. I would have loved to have seen Julie and Jimmy get back together in the end, after the horrible ordeal with Marissa.
Correction - it could have been a seminal show. Season One was GREAT. And that's hard with so many shows in the same vein. Season Two was not great, and season three was a giant turd. Did not bother with Season Four as I thought the S3 ending was a great series finale for me. Will watch S4 when it comes out on DVD.

Too bad this show couldn't make it. But it's nowhere near as good as a whole as you make it out to be.
Old 03-17-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Correction - it could have been a seminal show. Season One was GREAT. And that's hard with so many shows in the same vein. Season Two was not great, and season three was a giant turd. Did not bother with Season Four as I thought the S3 ending was a great series finale for me. Will watch S4 when it comes out on DVD.

Too bad this show couldn't make it. But it's nowhere near as good as a whole as you make it out to be.
Agreed. Season 4 wasn't even anywhere near as good as a lot of you are making it out to be, either, in my opinion. It had its moments, but it still paled in comparison to the first season.
Old 03-18-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone about the quality drop-off after Season 1...what I don't understand, is if you are really into the show and it's characters, why would you abandon it even if it gets crappy? Is it cause you have too much else to watch? I'm going to go with that one. Any spot freed up in your Tivo is a good riddance!!
Old 03-18-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Agreed. Season 4 wasn't even anywhere near as good as a lot of you are making it out to be, either, in my opinion. It had its moments, but it still paled in comparison to the first season.
I agree. Season 4 was definitely better than 2 and 3 but didn't reach the level of Season 1. I still enjoyed watching almost every single episode though and I am disappointed that the show was canceled but in the end, the show has to justify its existance and it didn't have the viewership anymore which was its own fault for letting the stories get so lame after Season 2.
Old 03-18-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like to pretend everything after Season 1 didn't happen.

Sort of like Boomtown.

Season 1 is by far one of greatest premiere seasons of a show, and let's all just enjoy that.
Old 03-18-07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I like to pretend everything after Season 1 didn't happen.

Sort of like Boomtown.

Season 1 is by far one of greatest premiere seasons of a show, and let's all just enjoy that.
Personally, I LOVED Season 1 yet found season 2 rather entertaining/worth while. Season 3 on the other hand I was a college freshman and gave up most of my shows the OC was one of the first casualties. From season 4 all I've seen in the series finale, but I'm excited to watch the DVDs this summer after all the praise.
Old 03-18-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with everyone about the quality drop-off after Season 1...what I don't understand, is if you are really into the show and it's characters, why would you abandon it even if it gets crappy? Is it cause you have too much else to watch? I'm going to go with that one. Any spot freed up in your Tivo is a good riddance!!
That is exactly it. As I get older I don't have time to continue to watch shows "Just Because". I did that with Buffy and even Voyager and was sorry I did. I barely have enough time to watch the things I Do like, so why continue to tivo things that aren't good just because they used to be entertaining. Schwartz cut back his involvement and moved on to other things but expected us to stay with the show even though it wasn't as clever as it was during the first season.

The show started out as a great series (I own season 1 on DVD) but the second and third season got pretty bad. I stopped watching half way through the third season after the lame plots they were trying to pass off on us. They also got rid of allot of the great characters like Ana and Luke which was a bit mistake.

I think some just need to let go. It's gone.
Old 03-18-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well...until this thread was brought up, I was already over the fact it was dunzo. I'm very glad I will have Season 1 to watch for the next 60+ years. OOOooh!
Old 03-19-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. If Josh Schwartz hadn't abandoned the show after its first season, it might not have gone into the crapper its next two years.

But look at the bright side. It reverse jumped the shark in its fourth season and finished on a high note with one of the better series finales I've seen. Plus Autumn Reeser has already been cast in a pilot for the fall.

Well, well said! Couldn't have put it any better myself.

I miss the show, too, but I'm happy that they at least went out on a high, and ended when they did - rather than sputter on for years after they should have ended. Say like 90210, there's a show that really could/should have ended after it's 4th or 5th season and been better for it.

On top of that, you also can't fault the actors for wanting to move on, too, which most of them did. If their hearts aren't in it, than the shows going to suck anyway. I also believe this may be another reason why this year was as good as it was. They pretty much all knew this was going to be their last year, and wanted to go out on the up - which they did.

Lastly, for the record, having just re-watched the entire series I can assuredly say that...
- Season 1 was one of the best debut seasons of any show
- Season 2 wasn't nearly as bad as most people make it out to be
- Season 3 was every bit as bad as they say
- and that Season 4 was in fact the best season they had since the first year.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-19-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-19-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya

Watch Friday Night Lights on NBC if your looking for a teen drama fix. IMO, one of the best new dramas this season.
Yes join us for a little FNL. I think there's a new ep this Wednesday. It may help fill your O.C. void.

Old 03-19-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Yes join us for a little FNL. I think there's a new ep this Wednesday. It may help fill your O.C. void.

Yeah, it might even be a football week!
Old 03-19-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

let's stop the O.C. and Friday Night Lights comparisons. The only thing they have in common is great parental characters and great teenage characters.

Dilon, TX is nothing compared to seeing the sweeping coastal shots of Orange County. Mrs. Coach's peers are nothing like the Newpsies. The party's aren't even close to the O.C.'s "ragers." Buddy Garrity is tame compared to Caleb Nichol. We don't have a band of the week playing at "The Bait Shop" or in Dilon's case, "The Boot Shack." I could go on and on.

And finally, we don't hate Street and Lyla's storyline nearly as much as everything Marissa.

I will say that Coach Taylor and Sandy Cohen are both awesome dads.

I do love FNL tho, I hope it gets another season!
Old 03-19-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I too miss such a great show.

I'm really annoyed with all of these terrifc shows that permier, only to have their creators abandon them and the result is a show that is substandard and get cancelled well before it should have.

A few if you will:

-- The OC
-- Felicity
-- Alias
-- Lost (arguable)

For contrast, a show that kept it together by having it's creators stick with:

-- Everwood
Old 03-19-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so 75% of your gripe is with J.J. Abrams!

although, Felicity ended right where it should have. It was about a girl becoming a woman in college. It was the proper time to end it. I don't think Felicity lacked quality in any seasons, for the most part.
Old 03-20-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
I too miss such a great show.

I'm really annoyed with all of these terrifc shows that permier, only to have their creators abandon them and the result is a show that is substandard and get cancelled well before it should have.

A few if you will:

-- The OC
-- Felicity
-- Alias
-- Lost (arguable)

For contrast, a show that kept it together by having it's creators stick with:

-- Everwood
I don't think Everwood is all that good of an example, personally. I didn't watch that show initially, but I started catching it mid 2nd season and liked it, and then really fell in love with the show after watching the first season dvd set. I felt that the last 2 seasons were more or less garbage compared to the first two. Some of the charm was still there from time to time, but it too lost it's way, in my opinion. Part of that I am sure had to do with the fact that I absolutely despised the character of Hannah and wasn't too keen on Scott Wolf being on the show either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.