Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office "Business School" 02/15/07

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait, so we should be excited about Abrams for next week, yet we shouldn't give Whedon credit now?
I'm not excited for Abrams. It's just more of a general "Why do they keep hiring guest directors?" question.

Due to the way The Office is presented as a fake documentary (with certain rules they have to follow direction-wise) and the tightly scripted nature of television in general, it doesn't really allow an outsider to add their personal touches to the show. I think the non-famous directors are doing just fine on the show.

Where can you find the writers for each episode? IMDB seems to be incomplete, I agree that the writers are the biggest factor and would like to see who wrote the last couple (Ben Franklin and Phyliss Wedding).
Wikipedia understands your frustration and has fixed the problem.
Old 02-16-07, 01:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, there's no reason to bring in these directors except its sweeps and they know all the fanboys will watch. "ZOMG JOSS *swoon*"
Old 02-16-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,151 Posts
To be fair, I didn't know Joss Whedon was directing until I saw his name in the credits. I rarely read future info about the shows I watch. Takes the fun out of watching them.
Old 02-16-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone find a link to the Rashida Jones pics in this weeks EW??
Old 02-16-07, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Kelly: "Oh, don't hurt it, it's a poor defenseless creature..."

(bat flys out of meeting room)

"...AHHHH! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT!"

Old 02-16-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, didn't realize wikipedia had such a good layout for TV shows.
Old 02-16-07, 02:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Thanks, didn't realize wikipedia had such a good layout for TV shows.
It depends on the show. Some have HUGE amounts of information, including the tiniest minutiae about each episode. Others have only one small article about the entire run of the show.
Old 02-16-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regarding the deleted scenes - just what was Meredith's bleeped punchline?
Spoiler:
Sounded like, "Because Roy used his (cock?) to peck the rice out of her (something)?"
Also, real dick move from Filippelli there.
Old 02-16-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
anyone find a link to the Rashida Jones pics in this weeks EW??
Yes, sir.

Justjared.com, by way of OfficeTally.com.

I'm a Pam/Jenna guy, but Karen/Rashida is awfully damn cute in these pics, I must say. . .
Old 02-16-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know if Greg Daniels is still doing "King of the Hill," or if he has left that entirely for "The Office"?
Old 02-16-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
Wasn't that his bf?
Michael: "I wonder if he knows."
Old 02-16-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Oh, totally. What was she saying when she was on the ground. I couldn't make out what she was mumbling.
Originally Posted by redskull
Anyway, back to the show--did anyone see the closed captioning of what Angela was mumbling on the floor? I thought it sounded like a prayer chanted over & over, but I couldn't hear her properly because the furnace kicked on right then (thanks, 15 degree temps! Global warming my ass!)
Originally Posted by Mordred
What was she saying when she was on the ground? Sounded like the Lord's Prayer to me. Hysterical stuff.
"God, This is Angela Martin, please don't let that stupid thing come anywhere near me."

Thanks to elizabethdawn at the TWOP boards.
Old 02-16-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't laugh as much as I usually do (Creed was funny as was Dwight with the garbage bag). I thought it was more sweet than funny, but I liked it just as much as any other episode.
Old 02-16-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Yes, sir.

Justjared.com, by way of OfficeTally.com.

thank yooou!
Old 02-16-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably the top rewind moment for me this episode was when Dwight was at the water cooler, and the camera pulls back, and there's Jim standing right behind him looking at his neck and Dwight realizes he's there and does that cringe shoulder-roll away from him. That was classic.
Old 02-16-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Karen was a flat character today, but she seems to be most of the time, unless she's pining over Jim.
Actually, the flat acting from Karen was great in this ep, and appropriate, since the character Karen was "acting" in this episode, playing along with Jim's prank. I think Rashida Jones is a much better actor than her character Karen is.
Old 02-16-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Office fans are the most inconsistent fans I've ever encountered.

Half of you were bitching up a storm that Jim convinced Dwight that "Ben Franklin" might have been the real Ben Franklin. Saying things like "I don't like it when Dwight is made to look like a complete idiot blah blah blah." But not one of you complained that Jim convinced him he was a VAMPIRE?!?!? Make up your minds!
To be fair, I think there are many more real people in the world that believe in vampires than believe that Ben Franklin is still alive. Unless.... Ben Franklin is a vampire too! OMG, it all makes so much sense!
Old 02-16-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redskull
Question: I saw a promo on Comedy Central last night for some show with Oscar in it. Is he leaving the Office, or was he filming this new show during his European "vacation?"
He was filming it during his character's vacation. If the Comedy Central show gets picked up for a second season, I'm thinking that Oscar may have to choose between the two shows.
Old 02-16-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
He was filming it during his character's vacation. If the Comedy Central show gets picked up for a second season, I'm thinking that Oscar may have to choose between the two shows.
I don't think that'll be an issue. Oscar has already said he wouldn't mind another free vacation on the company's dime. They could easily work that into the series again and have it be really funny.
Old 02-16-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Any monkey that can hold a camera... It could've been worse. This thread could've been titled "Joss Whedon's the Office"..
Actually, the director usually doesn't man the camera, that's the cinematographer's job, and it's not as easy as it looks.

As a self-proclaimed "Joss Whedon zombie," I'd just like to say that while I think it's super-cool he directed this episode, I didn't know before it aired, and had it not been pointed out in this thread, I probably still wouldn't have known. I think the direction was solid, but it was built on a solid cast and production team and great writing.

I personally don't see a problem with the guest directors. Looking at wikipedia, Amy Heckerling directed the last episode of the first season and nobody bitched about that. At worst it allows the cast and crew to hang out with some cool directors, who obviously are fans of the show.

Are they hyping the guest directors in ads for the show? Because I didn't even know that Harold Ramis directed the great "A Benihana Christmas" episode.
Old 02-16-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Was Ryan's demotion to the Annex "really" done so he can appear in the show less and work as writer more behind-the-scenes?

I mean, everyone in the main office area has to be in the scene for a large an episode, even if they have no lines and are just in the background. While Kelly is played by a writer too and she's already in the Annex and appears in just a few scenes in each episode, but isn't seen for the rest of the time. So maybe moving Ryan is for the same reason.
Old 02-16-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I personally don't see a problem with the guest directors. Looking at wikipedia, Amy Heckerling directed the last episode of the first season and nobody bitched about that.
That's 'cause Amy Heckerling doesn't have an annoying cult of zealots falling all over themselves about everything she ever does, all the time.
Old 02-16-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking at wikipedia, Amy Heckerling directed the last episode of the first season and nobody bitched about that.
Come on, dude. When was the last time you heard anybody talk about Heckerling? There's a big difference between people like Abrams and Whedon, who have successful TV shows and rabid Internet followings, to someone like Heckerling, whose glory days are long gone. According to IMDb, that one episode of The Office was her first directing job in 5 years. And anyways, Heckerling has a background in comedy, unlike Whedon and Abrams (yeah yeah, Buffy, Angel, Alias, Lost and Firefly all had/have their moments of humor, but I don't think anyone would call them comedies).

Are they hyping the guest directors in ads for the show? Because I didn't even know that Harold Ramis directed the great "A Benihana Christmas" episode.
I could have imagined this, but I swear when they ran promos for this show or the Thursday night lineup, they had "DIRECTED BY [RAMIS/WHEDON]" in giant letters on the screen. But like I said, that could have been my imagination. I know back when Abrams guest-directed an episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live, they hyped it, along with the episode of Live directed by Quentin Tarantino. And Live nowhere near as big as The Office.

I didn't know before it aired, and had it not been pointed out in this thread, I probably still wouldn't have known.
Precisely what I was trying to say in my earlier posts. What's the point of hiring him then if he doesn't bring anything new to the table? What's wrong with the other directors who have been there since day one of the show?

(Oh, and for the record, I am a fan of Whedon's stuff. And I didn't foam at the mouth or anything when I found out he was directing an episode. But he added nothing to the show, so I'm curious as to why he was hired. Shit, I'd be saying the exact same things if they hired my favorite director, Martin Scorsese, to helm an episode.)
Old 02-16-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boot
Probably the top rewind moment for me this episode was when Dwight was at the water cooler, and the camera pulls back, and there's Jim standing right behind him looking at his neck and Dwight realizes he's there and does that cringe shoulder-roll away from him. That was classic.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 02-16-07 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eh, it seems like the anti-Whedon folks have made a far bigger deal about it in this thread than the Whedon fanboys have.

Probably the best episode of an already top-notch season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.