Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also in the kill Nikki club.
Old 02-07-07, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by achau9598
Perhaps it is Sylar that causes the explosion in NY. After all, he appears to be gaining powers just as much as Peter. Maybe another Peter/Sylar encounter could cause it.
Has he, though? I'm trying to remember, but haven't we only seen him exhibit telekinesis, which he got from the first person he killed? I can't remember seeing him show any other powers.
Old 02-07-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
We know he froze the people before killing them.
Old 02-07-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xVladx
Has he, though? I'm trying to remember, but haven't we only seen him exhibit telekinesis, which he got from the first person he killed? I can't remember seeing him show any other powers.
We also saw how he aquired that power, and, then, are led to believe that he has been further acquiring the power from those that he has killed, thus, his interest in Claire. I'm completely convinced of it, until the show or comic points out otherwise.
Old 02-07-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kill the Stripper, Save the show.

I agree that Dr. Who is competing with Hiro for the most entertaining part of the show.
Old 02-07-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by johnglass
I was under the impression that all of the heroes powers manifested at about the same time. Was this ever mentioned in the show, or was it just speculation by some posters? We obviously know this isn't true since Claire and her mom have had their powers for at least 15-16 years.
I thought that there was a voiceover at the beginning of the first episode which said something about how a group of people across the globe had just recently begun to notice powers or something like that. I initially thought the implication was that everyone had gotten their powers at around the same time, but now it seems like others may have had theirs for longer (Claire, her mother, possibly the invisible man, etc.)

Originally Posted by shumway
We also saw how he aquired that power, and, then, are led to believe that he has been further acquiring the power from those that he has killed, thus, his interest in Claire. I'm completely convinced of it, until the show or comic points out otherwise.
That was my assumption as well. I think his character has even said as much. I doubt it's that he only absorbs the most recent power. If that were the case, he'd only be remembering things really well at the moment.
Old 02-07-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
I have a question/gripe ...

Last week's ep ended with Sylar and HRG face-to-face and Sylar asking "How's Claire?"

Now, in the little "last week portion" of this ep we see Sylar escaping - something that actually wasn't shown last week (or was it?). So they kinda spoiled it, because then they go and show the actual escape a little later.
They've done the "fudging cliffhanger of the previous ep and the tease of the current ep events" thing a few times. One particularly bad one was where Claire was on the autopsy table and ends an episode with "holy ----," but the next episode just plays the scene differently.
Old 02-07-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well they keep shooting him with no effect so he has some kind of healing power.
Old 02-07-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Demontooth
Well they keep shooting him with no effect so he has some kind of healing power.
I assumed he was stopping the bullets with telekinesis.
Old 02-08-07, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure how well known this is, but according to pretty much all of the spoiler sites, the following is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. This is a big spoiler:

Spoiler:
A hero dies very soon. March 5th episode to be precise. It's a female hero. I read on E's site yesterday that it's the character you would not expect to die, given her powers, and that she is shot by another hero. (It also seems like that part was removed, since I can't find it anymore) We know that Matt and Ted Sprague would be holding the Bennetts hostage, so it definitely seems like Matt will shoot and kill Claire. Of course this could be a "foiler" but you never know. Also, Claire has already died in the past so who knows if she will stay dead.
Old 02-08-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,851 Likes on 1,955 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Not sure how well known this is, but according to pretty much all of the spoiler sites, the following is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. This is a big spoiler:

Spoiler:
A hero dies very soon. March 5th episode to be precise. It's a female hero. I read on E's site yesterday that it's the character you would not expect to die, given her powers, and that she is shot by another hero. (It also seems like that part was removed, since I can't find it anymore) We know that Matt and Ted Sprague would be holding the Bennetts hostage, so it definitely seems like Matt will shoot and kill Claire. Of course this could be a "foiler" but you never know. Also, Claire has already died in the past so who knows if she will stay dead.
Spoiler:
Having read the episode synopses and various spoiler sites, it's not too hard to come to that conclusion.

From what I've read, the "hero" who "dies" will be shot by another "hero."

Sounds like Ted (Nuke-boy) and Hana (Wireless) will take the Bennett family hostage, and Matt will shoot Claire. I say Matt, because it sounds like he's going to be crossing paths with Ted/Hana and, since he's a cop, it's not unreasonalbe that he'd be packing heat. Or maybe someone picks up Matt's gun, like Peter?

I'm not really sure how a bullet could kill Claire since she was already dead for several hours with a piece of wood stuck in her brain.

If she does die, then I have to wonder how that will fit into the whole "save the cheerleader, save the world" thing. If she dies, does that mean the world is fucked? Or did they only need to prevent Sylar from absorbing her powers? It was never fully explained what she needed to be saved from, and why it would save the world.

Considering Hiro's ability to travel backward in time, it's also not unreasonable to think that at some point, Hiro would either travel back to save her if she's so important. He already went back to give Peter the message and made reference to some kind of disturbance in the time-continuum. Maybe Claire's death ties into that somehow?
Old 02-08-07, 08:11 AM

I agree that that looks like what they're aiming for, but I guess I've just gotten too used to misdirection in shows. They've built him up as being able to absorb powers, but they've really only showed him using TK, or doing stuff that could be explained as TK (like surviving being shot).

I'm just bringing it up as a possibility .
Old 02-08-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, like the memory/learning girl from the diner that he killed, how are they going to demonstrate those powers? It's not like we see him in a normal situation where he could be demonstrating that. We also do not know the powers of anybody else that he has killed besides the ones that they featured on the show, which means that he could bust out with some crazy ability at any point that we did not know he had. Couple that with the tidbit from the comic where HRG tells Eden's lousy father that she died to stop someone from obtaining her gift and this would have to be one hell of a misdirection. Also, I wouldn't say that he 'absorbs' their powers, it was, at least as far as I am concerned explained that he essentially figures out what part of their brain is 'broken' that gives them their abilities and then copies it or something in his own way. That was how I interpreted it from the reveal on him where he gains his TK powers.
Old 02-08-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xVladx
I agree that that looks like what they're aiming for, but I guess I've just gotten too used to misdirection in shows. They've built him up as being able to absorb powers, but they've really only showed him using TK, or doing stuff that could be explained as TK (like surviving being shot).

I'm just bringing it up as a possibility .
I still think the frozen father at the breakfast table from the 2nd or third episode shows he has some sort of freezing power as well, though we didn't see him actively use it.

Still, I suppose it is possible he used TK to open the freezer and blow freezing air out enough to freeze a human in mid-bite and further coat him to where he was still encased hours later when the feds showed up.

Also, I still say he clearly had Eden's power there right before HRG showed up to save the day.
Old 02-08-07, 10:38 AM

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Having read the episode synopses and various spoiler sites, it's not too hard to come to that conclusion.

From what I've read, the "hero" who "dies" will be shot by another "hero."

Sounds like Ted (Nuke-boy) and Hana (Wireless) will take the Bennett family hostage, and Matt will shoot Claire. I say Matt, because it sounds like he's going to be crossing paths with Ted/Hana and, since he's a cop, it's not unreasonalbe that he'd be packing heat. Or maybe someone picks up Matt's gun, like Peter?

I'm not really sure how a bullet could kill Claire since she was already dead for several hours with a piece of wood stuck in her brain.

If she does die, then I have to wonder how that will fit into the whole "save the cheerleader, save the world" thing. If she dies, does that mean the world is fucked? Or did they only need to prevent Sylar from absorbing her powers? It was never fully explained what she needed to be saved from, and why it would save the world.

Considering Hiro's ability to travel backward in time, it's also not unreasonable to think that at some point, Hiro would either travel back to save her if she's so important. He already went back to give Peter the message and made reference to some kind of disturbance in the time-continuum. Maybe Claire's death ties into that somehow?
Spoiler:
I think clearly, Claire is dead meat, and personally I'm not sad about this. First of all, Sylar is never going to stop pursuing her, unless she is taken out of the picture. Secondly, how many invincible characters do you want? Now that Peter is figuring out the usefulness of his power, we don't need Claire anymore.
I think the whole "Save the cheerleader, save the world" message from Future Hiro was JUST so Peter would be able to absorb her power.
Old 02-08-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucky
Spoiler:
I think clearly, Claire is dead meat, and personally I'm not sad about this. First of all, Sylar is never going to stop pursuing her, unless she is taken out of the picture. Secondly, how many invincible characters do you want? Now that Peter is figuring out the usefulness of his power, we don't need Claire anymore.
I think the whole "Save the cheerleader, save the world" message from Future Hiro was JUST so Peter would be able to absorb her power.
Spoiler:
If that was the case, then we might as well call it the "Peter & Sylar" show.
Old 02-08-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Spoiler:
Catchy, I like it.

Old 02-08-07, 12:54 PM

Spoiler:
Hey, don't forget Hiro!

Spoiler:
Actually, I think Sylar will be done at the end of Season 1. I'm thinking he & Peter will square off again, but this time Peter will actually know how to use his powers and he will defeat Sylar with the element of surprise.

Then again, maybe that's a Season 2 thing. The bomb in New York might be the finale this season.
Old 02-08-07, 01:41 PM

I think "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" could be re-named as "meet" the cheerleader, save the world... IE Peter having met Claire and learned her power may have been all that was needed to "save the world". Something else to consider...Peter has met and come into contact with Sylar so peter should be able to TK as well once he learns how to control his powers better.
Old 02-08-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Imagine how great it will make Peter feel to remember how he felt around Sylar to be able to harness his power, heh.
Old 02-08-07, 01:48 PM

I don't think Peter will be able to use Sylar's powers - I think being around Sylar is actually what made Peter sick... either because he was sensing too many powers at once, or because Sylar's powers aren't "natural."
The two characters are very similar, but they are also complete opposites.
Old 02-08-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Claude described Peter as an Empath (and clearly not the first). Sylar seems to be more of a mimic/leech. He certainly isn't empathetic

Peter's healing ability isn't going to do much for him if he keeps getting disabled momentarily after being wounded.
Old 02-08-07, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
It should've been NX-2000. That would've been more accurate.
[34YearOldVirginLivingInMom'sBasementStarTrekTool]
Technically, it should have been NCC-2000. Excelsior only had the NX-2000 designation during the experimental "trans-warp" tests. By the time Sulu got a hold of her she was back to the standard NCC prefix.
[/34YearOldVirginLivingInMom'sBasementStarTrekTool]
Old 02-08-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daveg27
[34YearOldVirginLivingInMom'sBasementStarTrekTool]
Technically, it should have been NCC-2000. Excelsior only had the NX-2000 designation during the experimental "trans-warp" tests. By the time Sulu got a hold of her she was back to the standard NCC prefix.
[/34YearOldVirginLivingInMom'sBasementStarTrekTool]
wow.