Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "The Harriet Dinner, Part I" - 1/29/07

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked this episode, but I am getting kinda tired of Jack.
Old 01-30-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Anyone else think that Simon is a dick for picking on the writer?
I do. Simon is being a jackass and then turns around and wants respect fromt the writer. He should tell Simon to go fuck himself.
Old 01-30-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
I really enjoyed this episode as well.

The way I look at it, while they may be doing familiar story lines, it's the style in which they do them that makes it entertaining. Plus I really like most of the characters.

I'll take this over all the shit-coms on any day.
Old 01-31-07, 08:25 AM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
I finally watched this last night. If there are any fans of Dexter that watch this show...was that the Ice Truck Killer in the bed scene with Harriet?

Last edited by Geofferson; 01-31-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,437 Likes on 978 Posts
Sure looked like it.
Old 01-31-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What can I say, I'm a Sorkin fanboy. I've enjoyed every single episode (and I loved West Wing right to the end as well..still need to sit down and watch Sports Night all the way through). There's nothing about this show I don't like.
Old 01-31-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Is anyone else really hating the visual style of this show - even in HD it just looks ugly and really really soft.

I was hoping it wasn't my TV. This show looks horrible in HD, no matter what settings I use.
Old 01-31-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, it's not the best looking in HD terms. But then all of NBC looks suspect to me anyway.

I'm not sure I know exactly WHAT Simon is trying to do. Make the new black writer not be ashamed to write black themed skits? He was doing black-themed standup when they found him.

Is the new black writer afraid of being pigeon-holed into only writing with Simon, and wants to branch out?

With the both of them being asses to each other I've lost the point.

However I'm NOT tired of Matt/Harriet - Danny/Jordan - Jack - Hot Asian daughter.
Old 01-31-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
good lord. just tell the truth. Jack told you to take out some other girl. If lucy didn't understand it or got mad, then it's her loss.

matt gives horrible advice.

very sitcom-like. that, and the no cell service, bugged the crap out of me.

but i still love the show.
Old 01-31-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy

I'm not sure I know exactly WHAT Simon is trying to do. Make the new black writer not be ashamed to write black themed skits? He was doing black-themed standup when they found him.

Is the new black writer afraid of being pigeon-holed into only writing with Simon, and wants to branch out?

Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Old 02-01-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate the Simon storyline. Totally ruins the episode when it is on.
Old 02-01-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy

Yeah, I don't get it either. However, the writer is cute, so I don't really care.
Old 02-01-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This episode made me want to give up on this show. It's just not that good anymore, IMHO. Seeing how I hated this ep and it's a THREE PARTER, I might just close it down now. The dialog is stupid, I don't feel any sympathy for the characters, and the story lines are not interesting.

I love Sorkin, and I loved the premise for this show, but's turning more West Wing than it should. I hardly remember it's about backstage at a comedy show anymore.
Old 02-01-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I really liked this episode, but I am getting kinda tired of Jack.
I totally disagree. He's one of the best parts right alongside the Matt and Danny interactions.
Old 02-01-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I finally watched this last night. If there are any fans of Dexter that watch this show...was that the Ice Truck Killer in the bed scene with Harriet?
It sure was. He pops up in several shows
Old 02-02-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
I love this show, but this episode was a real piece of shit, filled with bad clichés that are way beneath Sorkin.

Not only are they clichés, they don't even make sense.

- Lying to the writer-girl about the date.
I mean, even if she didn't show up at the dinner, she would have still find out he was there since all their mutual friends are there too. So why even lie?

- Locked on the roof.
They may as well have gotten locked in a large meat-locker and reminisced about past episodes...

- Loose snake in the studio.
Three strikes, you're out!

I mean, all this shit all at the same time, makes me think Sorkin is just throwing up his middle finger, and in an ironic way giving the masses what he thinks they want and hoping that this familiar crap will bring in viewers, when all it's gonna do is lose the few he already has.
Old 02-02-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts
However, the writer is cute, so I don't really care.
Do you watch The Office?

The "writer" you like played the "Pam"-style character in the original, British version of The Office
Old 02-02-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
I think he ment the black (male) writer - Tracer's gay.
Old 02-02-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This show went from ridiculous to ridonkulous really fast with the coyote > ferret > snake bit, the lack of cell signal, and the "lying for no reason" junk. Grrr. I want to like this show, but this episode is making it hard.
Old 02-02-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
I think he ment the black (male) writer - Tracer's gay.
That is correct.
Old 02-02-07, 10:37 PM

Each episode that has aired since the Christmas break has been weaker than all the pre-January episodes IMHO. This recent batch seem to have been scripted to cater to notes coming down from network folks... more romantic interplay, less of the sketch show behind the scenes. I do enjoy the network politics, though.

I thought my HD set had lost its video settings when I viewed this past episode; it looked very soft--quite different any previous episode. I wonder if this was Timothy Busfield's choice (he directed this ep). Very distracting to me.

I want to see this show through to the end, but if it gets dumbed down, it will be hard to watch. I saw the potential in the first few episodes. It is smart, and expects its viewers to be smart, too. You can't get up to take a leak and make a snack and get everything out of it. I want to savor the dialog, the cadance, the cleverness (everything I USED to enjoy about Gilmore Girls, too before it went in the crapper this season),

I agree with the prior comment: worst episode so far.
Old 02-03-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 284 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Meteu185
This episode was stupid. The Matt/Harriet plotline is stupid. The getting locked on the roof is stupid. The no cell service is stupid. The Simon/Darius plotline is stupid.

I wish this show was about Jack trying to run a major television network. That and Matt giving $1 more to the group sex people is the only enjoyable part of this show.
I think we all saw the "locked on the roof" thing coming the second they went out the door, and that's just sad. And no cell service? Like everyone else, I thought that was lame.

I'm reserving judgment on the Simon/Darius thing until I see where it's going.

Oh, and BTW, polyamory isn't group sex. They're not swingers. Lots of FAQs abound if you want to find out more. I had a friend who was a polyamorist so I learned some about it from her.
Old 02-03-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 390 Posts
Finally got around to watching this episode last night - Not intending to echo most of the other comments already made, I have to agree that this was a disappointing episode, but one out the series is still a good record. It's still a better show than most so I won't be pledging to never watch again or anything like that.
Old 02-03-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
I think we all saw the "locked on the roof" thing coming the second they went out the door, and that's just sad. And no cell service? Like everyone else, I thought that was lame.

I'm reserving judgment on the Simon/Darius thing until I see where it's going.
Will it make it better if it turns out Danny did know they were going to get locked put there? That doesn't explain Jordan's lack of cell service though.