Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'm really wishing you had a door right about now."
Old 01-20-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
"Kenneth, you and I have a lot in common. When I was your age, I put myself through college in Boston by paddling swan boats for tourists."

"Is that a euphemism for sex worker?"

Old 01-20-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Who will be the next person from "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" to appear on this show? That is 4 so far that I've seen: Conan, "Kenneth", "the Head", and that other guy that Jack tried to set Liz up with.

I can't remember "the other set up guy" so it may be the same persons but the the guy who plays the "Radio Crooner Ghost" who does the insulting songs on Conan was on too. I think he played some Executive. Is he the same person?
Old 01-20-07, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I can't remember "the other set up guy" so it may be the same persons but the the guy who plays the "Radio Crooner Ghost" who does the insulting songs on Conan was on too. I think he played some Executive. Is he the same person?
Yep, that's the guy I was talking about.
Old 01-20-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally saw it, good episode. Jack and Kenneth are hilarious together.
Old 01-20-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
"I'm going to be your bottom Kenneth. And you're going to ride me as hard as you can."
Funny episode, but whoever wrote that line doesn't know much about anal sex.
Old 01-20-07, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Funny episode, but whoever wrote that line doesn't know much about anal sex.
I'll admit it, I don't know much about anal sex.
Why doesn't that line work? (and please don't be too graphic)
Old 01-20-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll admit it, I don't know much about anal sex.
Why doesn't that line work? (and please don't be too graphic)
The top doesn't "ride" the bottom. It's the other way around.
Old 01-20-07, 12:00 PM

I didn't know that. I thought it was more like horseback riding, where the person on top is the rider. I've not heard of a horse riding a man (Sara Jessica Parker not withstanding).

But really, if a girl is on top of me, I consider her the rider. If it is missionary or doggy, I'd consider myself the rider.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 01-20-07 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Ahh technicalities. Haha.
Old 01-20-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Yeah maybe it means different things in different worlds(gay vs. straight). I assumed it was written to make it sound like Donaghy meant that Kenneth would be on top of him or even behind him. Either way Kenneth would be in the position of power depending on how you view this sort of thing.
Old 01-20-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know that. I thought it was more like horseback riding, where the person on top is the rider. I've not heard of a horse riding a man (Sara Jessica Parker not withstanding).

But really, if a girl is on top of me, I consider her the rider. If it is missionary or doggy, I'd consider myself the rider.
Well, that's exactly what I mean. Let me see... the girl in your example would be the bottom. The top doesn't refer to the person on top, it refers to the person doing the penetrating.

Any clearer?
Old 01-20-07, 12:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
The use of the word "ass-ache" had me laughing for a solid minute.
Old 01-20-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Well, that's exactly what I mean. Let me see... the girl in your example would be the bottom. The top doesn't refer to the person on top, it refers to the person doing the penetrating.

Any clearer?

If the one penetrating is lying flat on their back while the other is on top, I would say the top is riding, no matter the sex of the top. IIRC this is called the cowgirl/boy or reverse cowgirl/boy depending on the way the top is facing.
Old 01-20-07, 03:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Ha we'll soon have more posts than the Scrubs crowd!!

I rewatched it again, and liked Tracy's backstory this time..
Old 01-20-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
If the one penetrating is lying flat on their back while the other is on top, I would say the top is riding, no matter the sex of the top. IIRC this is called the cowgirl/boy or reverse cowgirl/boy depending on the way the top is facing.
I guess it's different for gay men. I've never heard of this. If the person being penetrated is on the top, they're riding the top.
Old 01-20-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that this was a fantastic episode. I am glad that they ended by showing the pilot, since the whole time I was thinking, "Man the suitcase with the gold would weigh a ton".

I love Thursday nights on NBC.
Old 01-20-07, 08:15 PM

I guess it's different for gay men. I've never heard of this. If the person being penetrated is on the top, they're riding the top.
Okay, here is how I see it, from my straight perspective:

"Riding the top" is just not a phrase that is used in straight sex.

I guess the difference is that straights don't define the term "top" as having anything to do with who is the penetrator; likely because in all but pretty rare/kinky straight sex, it is the guy who is the penetrator, so there has been no reason to create terminology for who assumes that role. This make "riding on top" have only a spatial/dominance reference among straights, as who is penetrating who isn't really a variable to be worried about.

"Riding" for straights also has nothing to do with who is being penetrated (again, probably because who is being penetrated isn't really up for much debate in straight sex - see above). It refers to either the spatial relationship between them, or the person who is more dominant/in control of the action at a particular time. But, even this isn't position-specific; for example, a man can be "riding a girl doggy-style", but if the guy stops moving for a while, and leaves the girl to do the majority of the work by thrusting herself back and forth on the guy, then at that point it would be acceptable to say "the girl is riding the guy". If they are both thrusting their bodies, it is acceptable to say they are "riding each other".

So, quickly, in straight sex:

Doggie Style: Man is on top (part spatially "top", part dominantly "top"), but depending on who is doing the bulk of the moving, that person is the one "riding" the other (less-moving) person. In cases where both parties are moving equally, they can be said to be "riding each other".)

Cowgirl: Girl is on top (spatially, and since she has more control of the motion/speed, can be considered on top from a dominance standpoint, also.) Also, since the girl tends to do the bulk of the moving in this position, she can be said to be "riding the guy".

(At least that is how I generally see things. To each his own.)

I hope this helps. Now that I write that all down, I can see how either sexual orientation could be confused by the others choice of phrase/words.

Of course, picking words like "top" that already have a couple meanings doesn't make things any simpler to understand. Might I suggest using "gnorkor" to define the penetrator and "gnorkee" to define the penetrated?

Now, does anyone have any interesting lesbian sex terminology they'd like to enlighten us with?
Old 01-20-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm kind of shocked. I'm straight, but I thought everybody these days understood top to mean penetrator and bottom to mean penetratee. Go figure.
Old 01-20-07, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'm kind of shocked. I'm straight, but I thought everybody these days understood top to mean penetrator and bottom to mean penetratee. Go figure.
In regards to straights also? You've never had a girl on top of you, and yet you were the penetrator?

When referencing gays, I agree with that. If you say "guy A is the top, and guy B is the bottom in that relationship", I would know what you meant.

If I said "Chris is riding on top of Pat", or some other sexually ambiguous names, with the "riding" and "top", both of which have different meanings in different contexts/cultures, things get confusing. Words themselves have no meaning, other than what we ascribe them.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 01-20-07 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In regards to straights also? You've never had a girl on top of you, and yet you were the penetrator?
That's not what "a top" is referring to at all from my experience. I'd characterize that as her riding me, though that term can be used many different ways. I could see how you could say girl is atop boy or woman is on top of man, but I haven't ever heard that used in the way you'd use top/bottom in the sense that you'd put an article or a possessive pronoun in front of it. I would propose that while top by itself may be ambiguous:

* "on top" means just what it sounds like
* "my top" or "a top" means somebody doing the penetrating
Old 01-20-07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
That's not what "a top" is referring to at all from my experience. I'd characterize that as her riding me, though that term can be used many different ways. I could see how you could say girl is atop boy or woman is on top of man, but I haven't ever heard that used in the way you'd use top/bottom in the sense that you'd put an article or a possessive pronoun in front of it. I would propose that while top by itself may be ambiguous:

* "on top" means just what it sounds like
* "my top" or "a top" means somebody doing the penetrating
Anyway, the whole confusion started from apparently...

In the gay realm, the bottom/penetratee rides on the top/penetrator (the top/penetrator is never said to be riding the bottom/penetratee)

In the hetero world, the man/penetrator can ride the woman/penetratee, or the woman/penetratee can ride on the man/penetrator, or they can be simultaneously riding each other, too.

I'm just gonna go with pitcher-reciever. Less confusing.
Old 01-20-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ass-ache, indeed.
Old 01-20-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re-watched this one today and laughed at the scene between Lemon and the Hair at the store much more now that I knew the twist.

"I have an Uncle who's a cop."
"We all have Uncles who are cops."
Old 01-21-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife and I burst into laughter and tears from the a "Tracy Jordan Christmas".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.