Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twenty Four (24) *Season Premiere* -Day 6: 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM - 01/14/07 and 01/15/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) *Season Premiere* -Day 6: 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM - 01/14/07 and 01/15/07

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Yeah, it's not like Jack has ever done anything like that before. Chappelle anyone?

Uhh Jack didnt like Chappelle.

Curtis and Jack was on another level entirely. Aka killing baddies together.
Old 01-16-07, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Correct, Valenica is a deal aways from LA, and since this was a suitcase bomb, Valencia is toast, as is magic mountain, BUT, the radiation implications/fall out into LA could be much worse.
I don't see it. They said the area of primary blast is only 1/2 mile for a nuke that size. That would barely reach the edge of Magic Mountain's parking lot were the nuke detonated right in the center of it. Considering it was a ground blast, and almost certainly a few miles away, Magic Mountain should be ok. Radiation might be a problem, but Valencia in the vicinity of MM is pretty hilly and MM is probably not in direct line of sight of the blast, stopping the bulk of the radiation. Long live Magic Mountain!
Old 01-16-07, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I don't see it. They said the area of primary blast is only 1/2 mile for a nuke that size. That would barely reach the edge of Magic Mountain's parking lot were the nuke detonated right in the center of it. Considering it was a ground blast, and almost certainly a few miles away, Magic Mountain should be ok. Radiation might be a problem, but Valencia in the vicinity of MM is pretty hilly and MM is probably not in direct line of sight of the blast, stopping the bulk of the radiation. Long live Magic Mountain!
Magic Mountain will be fine. Hello, it's Magic!
Old 01-16-07, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I was only half paying attention, but is Manning really dead? I thought Jack shot him in the shoulder to disarm him. I'm going to have to go back to the tape and rewatch that.
Old 01-16-07, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm pretty sure he shot him in the throat.

He gone.
Old 01-16-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome episodes. My only problem is, with the terrorists being able to set off a nuke in the L.A. area, no matter what happens the rest of the season, they won. I don't like giving terrorists that huge of a victory, even fictionally. Even if they do have 4 more nukes and Jack stops them all, terrorists will always be able to claim they set off a nuke on US soil.
Old 01-16-07, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Good stuff. I agree with all the usuall stuff, but I have to say I like what's going on at CTU.

Bill is running things excellently, Chloe is her usual self. Milo is actually interesting being somewhat in charge. And it is regular office politics around there instead of the yearly mole.
Old 01-16-07, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Noone ever said the real time aspect of the show was perfect.
Yep, another interesting phenomenon in the 24-verse is the suspended animation time warp.

Example:

Fayed tells Ahmed on the phone, kill the boy.

Cut to commercial.

4 MINUTES LATER, Ahmed is still sitting with phone by his ear, and the kid asks well what did he say, is my father ok, blah blah blah?

(In this particular instance you could almost buy Ahmed sitting and thinking during the time, since he was reluctant, but the kid just sitting there with his father's fate uncertain?)

Things like this happen with regularity, you just have to let it go and accept that each show is more-or-less an hour, but transit times and character actions might be fudged by a few minutes or more.

Action, drama, and intensity > gritty, 100% perfect realism.

Last edited by pankwindu; 01-16-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
The nuclear scientist escaping the prison bus at 9:00 AM and arriving at Fayed's warehouse in new clothes at 9:07 AM was also a nice touch.
Old 01-16-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is my first season watching, stop nitpicking it to death. I know that the discussion over the timing of the show has been debated to death. It's unrealistic, we get it.
Old 01-16-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
They should be forced to give back that Best Drama Emmy after the Chloe/Milo/Morris "love triangle" scene.
Old 01-16-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iggystar
This is my first season watching, stop nitpicking it to death. I know that the discussion over the timing of the show has been debated to death. It's unrealistic, we get it.
welcome to the 24 threads. if you don't like to see 20 pages of people over analyzing every tiny little incorrect detail to death I'd suggest you just skip the reading altogether and just enjoy the show without any extra feedback because it will get very frustrating down the road.

with that said, I honestly don't know what the people here enjoy more, watching Jack shoot and blow up shit all the time on the show or coming here to bitch about how phony this show is when compared to a Jerry Bruckheimer film.
Old 01-16-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
What the hell is Morris' problem? What a jackass.
Old 01-16-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought that this Season was going well, until the final minutes of EP4. Now it has gained some steam.

My only problem? Wayne is a terrible president. He looks like he's 25.

Also is Curtis really dead? They didn't say and I assume that's the case but... they didn't say.

Also Alexander Siddig (DS9, Syriana) was a great casting choice.
Old 01-16-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I have had friends who lived in Valencia!

Chris
You do realize that they weren't harmed in the making of this show, don't you?

j/k
Old 01-16-07, 08:46 AM

Great 2/4 run for Season 6. Better than 5, but maybe not on par with S4 in my opinion. Nuking LA...geez, why does anyone still live there with the assasinations (attempted and realized), (first) nuclear threat, germ warfare, nuclear missile, suitcase bombs? The weather is nice tho.

Anyone else get a Sam Kinison vibe from Peter MacNichol every time he talks? Even looks like Sam with short hair. I half expect him to start screaming at Wayne: "Well, Mr. President, that would be an option IF WE DIDN'T HAVE TERRORISTS BLOWING UP EVERY STARBUCKS FOR THE PAST THREE MONTHS!!! OH OH OHHHHHHHH!!!"
Old 01-16-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BamaDan
Nuking LA...geez, why does anyone still live there with the assasinations (attempted and realized), (first) nuclear threat, germ warfare, nuclear missile, suitcase bombs? The weather is nice tho.
Cause there's virtually no traffic.
Old 01-16-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Very good 2 hours of 24 last night. My only complaint was the ridiculous banter between Milo, Morris and Chloe. It was kinda funny, yet annoying. Didn't realize what a hot commodity Chloe was around the CTU offices.

I think seeing that Roger Cross was labeled as a "Guest Star" signified that something was going to happen with his character. Anyways, I liked Curtis and thought some elements of his character were interesting (him being a former army ranger). But, I really knew nothing about him otherwise. He would just pop in every other episode for the past 2 seasons and help Jack in difficult predicaments. I also thought it was selfish of him to put his revenge motives ahead of finding Fayed.

I'm looking forward to Ricky Schroder and Powers Boothe's appearances later this season.
Old 01-16-07, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I missed the first night, but it was pretty easy to pick it up in the second half. If there's one thing 24 is good at, it's reminding us about what's been happening.

I stopped watching the show part way through season 4. Glad to see that it's still as wacky and predictable as ever. They should hire me to work at CTU since I saw everything coming a mile away.

The pacing was tight, and the plot seemed to move along better than in previous seasons I've watched. That may be because this was a four-hour "mini-adventure" so the story arc was pretty clear.
Old 01-16-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BamaDan
Great 2/4 run for Season 6. Better than 5, but maybe not on par with S4 in my opinion. Nuking LA...geez, why does anyone still live there with the assasinations (attempted and realized), (first) nuclear threat, germ warfare, nuclear missile, suitcase bombs? The weather is nice tho.
You forgot earthquakes.
Old 01-16-07, 09:11 AM

Heh, or as Peter "Kinison" MacNichol would say, "You know why you're dying there in L.A. Cause you live where all the terrorists liive! In eighteen months, who's going to be there? TERRORISTS! MOVE TO WHERE THE REGULAR PEOPLE ARE!!!! OHHHHHHH!"
Old 01-16-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
More like practical, we are at war with islamic terrorists, makes sense that every Terrorism operation at least has one operative that can translate.

I just have a feeling that she speaks Arabic is involved in the plot a little more. My guess ( i won't spoiler it, since I'm really just guessing) is that she is tied to Fayed somehow.. Maybe he is a cousin or something like that and she is hiding it to protect her job.
Old 01-16-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
Are people being sarcastic saying that they didn't see Curtis getting shot by Jack from a mile away but DID see the bomb exploding? I was the opposite--knew Curtis would do something stupid and that Jack would have to kill him for it, but when that bomb went off, I was .

i'm with you.. i guessed the curtis thing 24 (go figure) minutes into the first episode last night -- when curtis and jack were in the car together, and jack shot him a look and was like, "what's that supposed to mean?".. the nuke, on the other hand, was definitely a surprise..
Old 01-16-07, 09:38 AM

I can understand those of you that are disenchanted by 24 now. At the same time, these are the same criticisms we've had since season 3. Yeah, they're repeating themselves in some ways but I always think it comes off as really cool.

And I don't care what anyone says, the neck thing, fucking awesome.

My love for this show is alway the WTF moments and 24's insistence that no one is safe (RIP Curtis) and that they're willing to take TV to some insane places. It's always a how the hell are they going to top this question.

My take. Season 6 is as strong as ever. Perhaps I'm viewing through rose colored glasses but I'll take 24 over American Idol any day.
Old 01-16-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
American Idol is a low for America.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.