Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Colbert, O'Reilly to appear on each other's show 01/18/06

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colbert, O'Reilly to appear on each other's show 01/18/06

It may feel like looking into the mirror for Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert next week.

The Fox News Channel host and Colbert, who has essentially based his comic character every evening on Comedy Central on him, will trade appearances on each other's programs January 18.

"I'm really looking forward to speaking to a man who owes his entire career to me," O'Reilly said.

On "The Colbert Report," Colbert portrays a self-involved talk-show host who has tried to bring "truthiness" to the world. His character owes an obvious debt to O'Reilly, who holds court in the "no-spin zone" each evening.

On "The O'Reilly Factor," O'Reilly portrays a ... um, he hosts the top-rated program in cable news.

"I look forward to the evening," Colbert said. "It is an honor to speak face-to-face with a broadcasting legend, and I feel the same way about Mr. O'Reilly.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

Should be fun.

I wonder which "Colbert" will show up on O'Reilly?
Old 01-12-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man that's gonna be an historical/hysterical moment.

I wonder if Bill's planning on not being so serious with him...cause otherwise Colbert will get plenty of "shut up"'s and "idiot" and all that.
Old 01-12-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I'm really looking forward to speaking to a man who owes his entire career to me," O'Reilly said.
I hope he meant that as a joke or he's a pompus prick. Colbert also gave a lot of nods to Stone Phillips during his Daily Show episodes and is also a strong enough of a personality on his own that he doesn't need O'Reilly to build a whole career on.
Old 01-12-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,085 Posts
I'd love to see Colbert do to O'Reilly what Jon Stewart did to Crossfire, but I guess that's not the point of the whole appearance for either of them.

It'll be great to watch either way.
Old 01-12-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That woman's lawyer is going to be on the show too?
Old 01-13-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
O'Reilly has generally gone with the "spirit" of the show that he is own. Letterman always looks like an ass when O'Reilly is on because O'Reilly isn't there to fight.

Hopefully this will be a good laugh.
Old 01-13-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may lose my shit if he goes as the "Colbert Gigante" charactere. O'Reilly is a good sport for doing this.
Old 01-13-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These could be really funny or a train wreck, depending on how serious the hosts of their respective shows take it. The Report should be good because Colbert has shown that, unlike the show that precedes him, he won't forgo comedy to take partisan shots. The Factor appearance is more of a ?
Old 01-13-07, 01:04 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
O'Reilly has generally gone with the "spirit" of the show that he is own. Letterman always looks like an ass when O'Reilly is on because O'Reilly isn't there to fight.

Hopefully this will be a good laugh.
Yes. O'Reilly knows that people are trying to bait him and he doesn't take the bait. He's said he knows that's what they're trying to do.

Colbert doesn't really have much of a career having a few hundred people watch his show on a (probably) soon to be defunct cable network.
Old 01-13-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Colbert doesn't really have much of a career having a few hundred people watch his show on a (probably) soon to be defunct cable network.
The ratings are down for Comedy Central? That's news to me....Is there more info about this online?
Old 01-13-07, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
Few hundred people? huh? The show opened with over a million viewers and I don't think viewership has dropped much since.
Old 01-13-07, 06:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by bhk was able to say this:
Yes. O'Reilly knows that people are trying to bait him and he doesn't take the bait. He's said he knows that's what they're trying to do.
Originally Posted by and then bhk followed it with this:
The irony is that bhk managed to explain away his own post?
Old 01-13-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bhk

Ah, the things you say and believe when you get your all your news from Fox and Rush.
Old 01-13-07, 06:35 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
Huh?
Old 01-14-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
I don't normaly feed trolls, but...

Show on the rise: Comedy Central’s “The Colbert Report,” Wednesday, 11:30 p.m. Thanks to a big “Daily Show” lead-in, “Colbert” tied a series best among adults 18-49, averaging a 1.0 rating and finishing No. 10 for the night among all cable shows in that demo. It also drew 1.5 million total viewers.
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_8415.asp

Last edited by slop101; 01-14-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 10:10 AM

I wonder whether Colbert will be in character when he's on O'Reilly's show.

Oh, and O'Reilly has said that he likes what Colbert does because he's not mean-spirited. Right. A bully who doesn't like mean-spirited people. Imagine that.
Old 01-17-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone know what time this is going to be on? I thought new episodes of O'Reilly's show aired at 8PM, but on the TiVo online scheduling it has Stephen Colbert on at 5PM.
Old 01-18-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Foxnews.com says 8 and 11 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 09:21 PM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts
For anyone that missed the BOR show, you can watch the Colbert segment at Hotair:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/01/1...ly-vs-colbert/
Old 01-18-07, 11:02 PM

I didn't think Colbert's appearance on O'Reilly's show was that entertaining, O'Reilly seemed more bemused than anything else. Colbert's show on the other hand, was hilarious. All sorts of great things thrown in,Colbert's comment that Jon Stewart was a sexual predator, and you have no idea what that's like!, showing O'Reilly's book with the Barnes + Noble sticker over O'Reilly's face, and a great final line,"If you're an act, then what am I?". Colbert rocks!
Old 01-18-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by misterchimpy
showing O'Reilly's book with the Barnes + Noble sticker over O'Reilly's face
Not just any sticker, but 30% off "There's a lot of great deals on your book in all the stores I've been in" says Colbert.

The O'Reilly appearance wasn't bad. They just got side-tracked by some topics that weren't that funny (like how to pronounce his last name).
Old 01-19-07, 12:24 AM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts
You can now catch both segments at Hotair:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/01/1...ly-vs-colbert/

I agree, the Colbert Report version was much better. They seemed more relaxed, and it ended up being pretty funny.
Old 01-19-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the others. The Colbert Report is the one to watch.
Old 01-19-07, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"if you're an act, what am I?" brilliant.
Living in the UK all I can say is thank god for youtube!
We get the Daily Show over here but not The Colbert Report.
Old 01-19-07, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The average age of an O'Reilly viewer is like 70, so it's no wonder that segment didn't really have any edge to it.

It was kind of typical, pathetic O'Reilly, though, to then bring back 2 "fair and balanced analysts" (in typical Fox style, one was very conservative and the other was a moderate) to analyze their chat and why these liberals (secular progressives) are so popular with mainstream news and why that's a threat to our country.

Ugh.

I loved O'Reilly having to sit there across from the Mission Accomplished banner.

And, while I really do hate that rat bastard O'Reilly, I must say that was, indeed, a very nice painting of him. Whoever did that should be the one who Bill gets to do his book covers in the future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.