Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 12:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "First Time in New York" - 1/08/07

"First Time in New York"
Spoiler:
Robin tries to keep her younger sister from having sex, which prompts the group to recall their own first experiences.
Old 01-08-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking forward to Barney's inevitable pro-sex stance.

This is either gonna be fun or the Family Research Council's favorite episode.
Old 01-08-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll give you $10,000 for that diary

even kyle gets to do that
Old 01-08-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
wanna do it again?
ted: please don't

and did you see his fro?
Old 01-08-07, 08:01 PM

Nice ep.
Old 01-08-07, 08:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Good episode

The Dirty Dancing scene with Barney's head CGIed on Swayze's body was good

I'm surprised they didn't make the sister older and have Barney try and sleep with her.
Old 01-09-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
They did a GREAT job on that CGI. It was damn near seamless.

Always funny to see the flashback episodes. And hey, the kids! They haven't been on for awhile (not that I miss them.)
Old 01-09-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
They did a GREAT job on that CGI. It was damn near seamless.

Always funny to see the flashback episodes. And hey, the kids! They haven't been on for awhile (not that I miss them.)

I know it's a sitcom, but wouldn't it be a fair assumption that the kids would know what happened to Robin's sister, so the whole story about her becoming homeless and dying wouldn't even make for a good joke to them?

Assuming that Aunt Robin is called that just because she's close to the family, you'd think they'd know if her sister had died in that manner.

Assuming that Aunt Robin is really just a trick and there is some other Robin and the Robin that Ted is with now ends up as his wife, then surely they'd know.

And she can't actually be their Aunt, right? Does Ted have a brother?

I enjoy this show, but sometimes they try to do too much. The episode kind of seemed to sputter at times.

Anyone else have an opinion on whether taking a dip into the pond constitutes sex or not? I imagine this would be much more important for a woman. If I had just taking one quick dip and stopped, I would not have considered that as losing my virginity. But even 2 full trips inside and out and you've done the deed.
Old 01-09-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was under the impression that you had to break the hymen to have officially "done it." But I'm a guy, so who the hell knows.
Old 01-09-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
dolphinboy - you are putting too much thought into it.

Old 01-09-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had forgotten about the "Aunt Robin" thing -- maybe Ted marries the little sister?
Old 01-09-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
When talking to his children of the future, I think he refers to his friends as Uncle and Aunt. I swear I've heard him say Aunt Lily and Uncle Marshal before.
Old 01-09-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He has said Aunt Lily, Uncle Marshall, Uncle Barney, and Aunt Robin. I bought my wife season one on DVD, and we have been going through the episodes again.

The Dirty Dancing part was hilarious.
Old 01-09-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the fake Ted's first time the REAL Ted's first time, and especially the REAL Barney's first time, which doesn't surprise at all if you remember what he was like before he decided to 'Suit UP.'
Old 01-09-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We call all of our close friends "aunt" and "uncle" in front of our children. I assume they are doing the same thing here.

And I don't think it's correct to assume the kids should know anything about Robin's sister in the future. I barely know anything about some of my friends' siblings now.
Old 01-10-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the final gag was to have Scooter come out of the elevator and destroy Lily and Marshall's renewed "history".

Still loving the Barnacle.
Old 01-11-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Funny stuff. I actually liked Ted in this ep, which is a rare thing.

I was watching the Dirty Dancing scene pretty closely and it looked to me like it was NPH's body CG'd into the scene, not his head on another body. He looked a little skinnier than Patrick Swayze was/is, if memory serves. Been a while since I've seen that movie.
Old 01-11-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think NPH is that muscular. We watched the scene again last night and I'm pretty sure it's his face on Swayze's body. They just did a great job with it.
Old 01-12-07, 06:43 AM

Thought it was the weakest episode of the season last night. I get sick and tired of these shows going on and on about how a persons first time is supposed to be special like thats some reason to ****ing wait. They should have been cheering her on to screw the little douchebag last night just to get it out of the way for when someone truley special actually does come along. Because first times are generally extremely short, awkward, and sometimes very messy.

Plus they were acting like this girl 14 or 15 years old. She was 17. That means she's most likely halfway through her senior year. I'd say by that point a person is beyond ready.

It still had its moments but overall I was annoyed by this one.
Old 01-12-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sven
Thought it was the weakest episode of the season last night. I get sick and tired of these shows going on and on about how a persons first time is supposed to be special like thats some reason to ****ing wait. They should have been cheering her on to screw the little douchebag last night just to get it out of the way for when someone truley special actually does come along. Because first times are generally extremely short, awkward, and sometimes very messy.

Plus they were acting like this girl 14 or 15 years old. She was 17. That means she's most likely halfway through her senior year. I'd say by that point a person is beyond ready.

It still had its moments but overall I was annoyed by this one.
And yet, this is clearly someone in your demographic's view. I'm a late 20-something that fits in age-wise with the cast and I would do the exact same thing, as would most of the people that I consider friends. True it will most likely suck, especially for a woman, but, that doesn't mean a 'special' time in a person's life has to be completely wasted on a pathetic douchebag w/ a fauxhawk that could give a crap about her.
Old 01-12-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
.... and sometimes very messy.
Only if done correctly
Old 01-12-07, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
And yet, this is clearly someone in your demographic's view. I'm a late 20-something that fits in age-wise with the cast and I would do the exact same thing, as would most of the people that I consider friends. True it will most likely suck, especially for a woman, but, that doesn't mean a 'special' time in a person's life has to be completely wasted on a pathetic douchebag w/ a fauxhawk that could give a crap about her.

I'm 25
Old 01-12-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 25
Well, maybe I'm the weird/prude one then, but the reasoning did not bother me in the slightest. It's not like they were being overly preachy and saying that all pre-marital sex is bad. I can see that turning off all sorts of people.