Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Cook Islands -- Season Finale **Sunday, 12/17/06**

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor!?!
Adam
7.69%
Becky
2.56%
Ozzy (DVDTalk's very own dolphinboy!)
53.85%
Sundra
2.56%
Yul
33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Cook Islands -- Season Finale **Sunday, 12/17/06**

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Couldn't agree more. Yul is totally over-rated. He basically won, because Adumb promised him a vote for a favor that Yul didn't even have control over.

That's a far better reason that some of the reasons I've seen in previous Survivors - "pick a number between 1 and 10."
Old 12-17-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
In a way, it was more interesting because it was a final 3. With those two girls around there was no way Ozzy or Yul would take each to the final 2. I think it setup the classic Survivor gameplay showdown.
Old 12-17-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I'd like to point that I was the first to speculate about a final-3 rather than 2. See post #60.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=485091&page=3
Old 12-17-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Wow. As if the season wasn't boring enough, by the time the reunion show came on I positively couldn't care less what any of those people had to say any more. This was easily the most forgettable cast of Survivor, ever. I thought Yul and Ozzy were nice enough guys, but other than maybe Jonathan this season was a complete snoozefest.

Wasn't this going to be Probst's last season?
Old 12-17-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
That's a far better reason that some of the reasons I've seen in previous Survivors - "pick a number between 1 and 10."
The pick a number thing has been done twice, I believe.

Greg in season 1 is most famous for doing it in another 5-4 vote. And when I wrote what I wrote about ANYONE on the jury not voting for the person they believed was most deserving sucks balls, I include those kinds of things as well.

However, Greg was asked about it afterwards and he said it was just a stunt and that he had planned on voting for Hatch no matter what. I HATE to this day that he even acted like his vote meant nothing, but based on how the game went, I do believe Greg would have voted the same way and was just trying to be clever.

I can't remember if the other pick a number person had an impact on the final result or not.

PS-I thought Candice was attractive in the game, then less attractive but still pretty while she was on the jury on the island, and then found her to be nothing short of average on the reunion show. Adam was right to use his bunny sized brain to not continue the relationship.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-17-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember the word "outwit" part of Survivor. If Ozzy had done the same thing as Yul...he might have been the winner.

As far as I saw from the edited episodes, Ozzy only won challenges. He always depended on the challenges to save face. What if he lost a challenge? He wouldn't have had any "strategy" to fall back on. His ass would have been out.

He paled in comparison to Yul, who was pretty damn good at the challenges (coming in second many times) and in strategy.
Old 12-17-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
Remember the word "outwit" part of Survivor. If Ozzy had done the same thing as Yul...he might have been the winner.

As far as I saw from the edited episodes, Ozzy only won challenges. He always depended on the challenges to save face. What if he lost a challenge? He wouldn't have had any "strategy" to fall back on. His ass would have been out.

He paled in comparison to Yul, who was pretty damn good at the challenges (coming in second many times) and in strategy.
If Jon and Candice hadn't mutinied, Ozzy would have gone home next in the original Aitu tribe. Their leaving in affect saved him. Of course, he saved himself prior to that by providing and excelling in the challenges. According to exit interviews they originally had him scheduled to leave before Flica. He moved himself up one spot on the totem pole.
Old 12-17-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coming in second...how many times? Tonight Adam got a 2nd as did Sundra.

Besides, he didn't finish second and Becky didn't lose those challenges either, they were throwing them to keep from having a target on their backs.
Old 12-17-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Coming in second...how many times? Tonight Adam got a 2nd as did Sundra.

Besides, he didn't finish second and Becky didn't lose those challenges either, they were throwing them to keep from having a target on their backs.
I don't think they were throwing challenges. I think Becky just said that to try to make herself look a little better.
Old 12-17-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I don't think they were throwing challenges. I think Becky just said that to try to make herself look a little better.

Yeah - I was laughing when she said that.
Old 12-17-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yeah - I was laughing when she said that.
There's a difference between "throwing challenges" and competing in challenges that you know you aren't to going to win. I think in one of the insider clips Yul talked about that first hang on the pole individial immunity challenge. He knew he couldn't win, but he wanted to make a good try of it.
Old 12-17-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Was Yul turning Johnathan really that huge of a move? The more I think about it, the less i think it was really that important.

At the time it was 5 against 4. Lets say Yul doesn't even talk to John and he votes against yul. John is gone (yul uses the idol). Now its 4-4. After that, its anyones ball game. It wasn't like Yul saved himself or anyone in his tribe by making that deal. We don't know how it would have played out if it was at 4-4.

And Red Dog, why would Ozzy make him play it? If he trusts Yul, he has no need to try and get him to burn it. He's got an easy ride into the final 4. Now he just has to beat out the two girls and he's in. Again, because Yul was never once threatened at any point. He literally didn't have to try the entire game. After the mutiny, they rattled off 3 straight wins and got to the merge. After that, he just turned john and he sailed to the end.
Old 12-17-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I figured the italics made the sarcasm fairly clear.
Old 12-17-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about when Cao Boi was trying to continue the Asian talk and Jeff just shook him off and continued?

I was really hoping Ozzy would win, but Yul is alright. Maybe there will be another all-star show soon, because it's so fun watching Ozzy do challenges. Him running around the 'jungle gym' was insane.

Fiji looks nuts, I wonder if the hyped "biggest move by a player that will have everyone talking" is going to really be something or just hype.
Old 12-17-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Was Yul turning Johnathan really that huge of a move? The more I think about it, the less i think it was really that important.
Yes because he was able to swing the numbers without having to Use the Idol, since he got to keep the Idol he was able to walk right into the finals with no one even trying to changed it up (besides Adam's last ditch attempt). He was also able to use the Johnathon turn to get Adam's vote in the jury and probably a couple of more along the way.
Old 12-18-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

As far as I saw from the edited episodes, Ozzy only won challenges. He always depended on the challenges to save face. What if he lost a challenge? He wouldn't have had any "strategy" to fall back on.

We don't know that. Hell, he may have had a kickass strategy to fall back on, but we'll never know as it never came into play.

It seems to me that the main reason Yul had the power in the game was that he had the immunity idol, which anyone could have found, regardless of how strong a player they were. He just happened to go the island early and had the second (I think) crack at it.
Old 12-18-06, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm a little disappointed with the outcome. This is Survivor, not Manipulator or Deceiver or Puppet Master. Ozzie should have won hands down. There has been no other contestant that has been more dominating during the seven season that I've been watching and probably not before that.

Yul's a nice guy, but he wasn't the Ultimate Survivor in this game.

I couldn't stop laughing when the women couldn't start the fire, even with matches!

Not that I would be any better at it.

Chris
Old 12-18-06, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
We don't know that. Hell, he may have had a kickass strategy to fall back on, but we'll never know as it never came into play.

It seems to me that the main reason Yul had the power in the game was that he had the immunity idol, which anyone could have found, regardless of how strong a player they were. He just happened to go the island early and had the second (I think) crack at it.
The irony in this being that had Ozzy not thrown the challenge in order to get rid of Billy, Yul wouldn't have been on EI to find the immunity idol in the first place.

I give total credit to Ozzy for pulling so many immunities in a row but without Yul making that play on Jonathan the Aitu tribe would most likely been Pagonged. Some people will say that the Hidden immunity gives too much power but this is the first time ever that it's been used so effectively that it never had to be played.
Old 12-18-06, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Well, I'm a little disappointed with the outcome. This is Survivor, not Manipulator or Deceiver or Puppet Master. Ozzie should have won hands down. There has been no other contestant that has been more dominating during the seven season that I've been watching and probably not before that.

Yul's a nice guy, but he wasn't the Ultimate Survivor in this game.

I couldn't stop laughing when the women couldn't start the fire, even with matches!

Not that I would be any better at it.

Chris
Colby, Tom, and Terry come to mind. I guess it basically comes down to what you respect more-physical domination or strategizing and social interaction. I liked the way Yul analyzed situations and dealt with people....and this was exactlly the reason why he won the million.
Old 12-18-06, 12:48 AM

Yawn.

First Survivor since I started watching in S2 that I really didn't care who won....though think Ozzie deserved it over Yul...especially since the reason he lost is because Adumb promised a vote to Yul for voting out Jonathan.

They really need to get rid of the immunity idol...it's like a sure fire thing to get final 3 because people are either too afraid, or not bright enough, to figure out how to get it out of the game. On top of that, as a one or two mentioned on Survivor Live, not everyone has a chance to get it. You just shouldn't have a chance to get something that powerful in the game because you lost a challenge.

The tie break challenge coupled with that horrid final tribal has to be about the worst 45 minutes of Survivor history. 9 jurors and I think maybe 2 even addressed Becky was sitting there..and the questioning was just too tame. Plus, I think this was the first time the final players didn't get to give a final speech after the questioning.

Oh well, looking forward to the next season. Hopefully it has less "twists" and better gameplay.
Old 12-18-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I think either was just as deserving as the other. That the vote was so close is a testament to that. I don't think there has been a player that had given more thought about the game than Yul. The way he played the idol, the way he played Jonathon, the way he played Adam, the way he was able to be a part of keeping Aitu together for so long... all contributed to his accomplishments. That is not to take anything away from Ozzie's physical accomplishments and dominating immunity challenges. But he was looked at being too dominant. I mean throwing a challenge just to oust a player when it was all a numbers game early on was pretty lame, especially when another team was a lot weaker physically.
Old 12-18-06, 01:11 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
First survivor I've watched, I was delighted Yul won it as I felt he was the better overall player, Ozzy won the challenges, and was for sure a master at them.

But great stuff.
Old 12-18-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silt
9 jurors and I think maybe 2 even addressed Becky was sitting there
I think that's because they all knew they weren't voting for her.
Old 12-18-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Silt
The tie break challenge coupled with that horrid final tribal has to be about the worst 45 minutes of Survivor history.
I thought the tie-break challenge was one of the funniest moments I've seen in Survivor. The jury nodding off ... Jeff getting increasing annoyed ... Becky and Sundra just plugging along *click* *click* *click* *click* Jeff's defeated sounding, "Stop what you're doing ... let's go to matches". And they still couldn't start a fire. I wish Becky ran out of matches too, just to hear what the next stage would be. Jeff: "Alright ... now we're going to a can of gasoline and a flamethrower"

The surprise 3-three final did have a nice benefit of giving two very deserving players in the final. Don't feel too bad for Ozzy ... he's getting $100K, a new car, and probably a big break into acting/modeling.

So for next season ... I guess it would be hoping for too much for Exile Island to be crawling with poisonous snakes (at least without the exiles being safely fenced away)? Looks like some other tweaks (2 HIIs, some bit with one tribe "living in luxury") could make things interesting.
Old 12-18-06, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I think that's because they all knew they weren't voting for her.

Well yeah...but I wanted to see them rip into her and get the Katie treatment....though I suspect that final tribal was heavily edited for time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.