Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Day Break - Possibly Broken (Aka Cancelled)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Day Break - Possibly Broken (Aka Cancelled)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 09:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very entertaining show tonite. I hope they dont cancel it.
Old 12-07-06, 12:01 AM

Great show tonight. This is the best thing since 24.
Old 12-07-06, 07:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I'm really enjoying this show, and I will be beyond pissed if they don't show all 13 episodes and give us resolution.

Also, I didn't realized that The Nine was cancelled. That sucks.
Old 12-07-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I'm really enjoying this show, and I will be beyond pissed if they don't show all 13 episodes and give us resolution.

Also, I didn't realized that The Nine was cancelled. That sucks.
The Nine hasn't been officially cancelled yet
Old 12-08-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I haven't seen anything official yet, but this post in the Primetime Ratings thread says:

New ABC sitcoms “The Knights of Prosperity” and “In Case of Emergency” will take over the “Day Break” slot starting January 3rd.
So is that it for Day Break?
Old 12-08-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnglass
Well I haven't seen anything official yet, but this post in the Primetime Ratings thread says:

So is that it for Day Break?
Unless they are moving Day Break into what will be Lost's new time slot at 10 PM. I'm assuming they want to start those new shows in what will be their timeslot once Lost comes back in the later slot.
Old 12-08-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from tvguide.com

As you may have read last night in the Ausiello Report, ABC's just-revealed mid-season schedule finds Lost airing an hour later — Wednesdays at 10 pm/ET — so as to save the fan fave from being crushed by the return of Simon, Paula and Randy, as well as to stave off further ratings slippage at the hands of the surging Criminal Minds.

Playing the role of sacrificial lambs in this scenario are the new comedies Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency, which will fill the 9 o'clock hour starting Jan. 3 — a month before Day Break was scheduled to end its run. Per Variety, Taye Diggs' thriller will either be dropped after its Dec. 27 airing or shuttled to a new night. ABC News programming will run at 10, until Lost's Feb. 7 return.
Old 12-08-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Although I'd really like to see the end of this series, what's waiting in the wings to replace it interests me much more.
What's that?
Old 12-08-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's a "Masters of Sci-Fi" series.
Old 12-08-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still have to watch the latest episode off my Tivo. But I am loving this show.

I know TV is a business...but doesn't there need to be some practice or un written rule when it comes to airing shows.

It's seriously getting to the point where I just won't even TRY new shows until I know they are successful and will be on a while. Why invest your time and emotion into a show that has a very good chance of not lasting? I suppose it's one thing to cancel a sitcom, a show that has self contained episodes. But these cancellations of serials--Smith, The Nine, and now possibly Day Break, is beyond ridiculous.
Old 12-08-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
I think it's a "Masters of Sci-Fi" series.
I heard that as well, but it looks like ABC is going this whole sitcoms as of the start of the new year with news programming on at 10 until LOST returns strategy instead.
Old 12-08-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coladar
I'm incredibly pissed off by this. I *loved* Day Break, and I was really, really getting into the whole mystery thing. The concept was awesome, and was well implemented. Between ABC canning The Nine and now Day Break, quite frankly F' them. I'm done trying new serial shows on ABC.
While I understand you being upset... what exactly do you expect ABC to do here?

The ratings on this show are beyond terrible. 4.7 million viewers? In Lost's slot? That's insane.

I'm sure they'll package up the 13 episodes onto a DVD for everyone (all 4 million or so) to enjoy. But they really *can't* leave something like that on the air...
Old 12-08-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've already paid for the episodes. In fact, they've paid a lot of money for them, and the massive promotional campaign surrounding Day Break. They either lose money and shelve the episodes or lose money and air them. I understand moving it from Wednesday night to another timeslot... But exactly why would you simply burn your money when you could at least air them on Saturday nights, 3 episodes a night, bringing in higher ratings than whatever ABC airs there now.
Old 12-08-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coladar
They've already paid for the episodes. In fact, they've paid a lot of money for them, and the massive promotional campaign surrounding Day Break. They either lose money and shelve the episodes or lose money and air them. I understand moving it from Wednesday night to another timeslot... But exactly why would you simply burn your money when you could at least air them on Saturday nights, 3 episodes a night, bringing in higher ratings than whatever ABC airs there now.
The ratings wouldn't be all that high. If the show is getting 4.7 million viewers where it's at now, that would take a big dip moving to a weekend night.
Old 12-08-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I still have to watch the latest episode off my Tivo. But I am loving this show.

I know TV is a business...but doesn't there need to be some practice or un written rule when it comes to airing shows.

It's seriously getting to the point where I just won't even TRY new shows until I know they are successful and will be on a while. Why invest your time and emotion into a show that has a very good chance of not lasting? I suppose it's one thing to cancel a sitcom, a show that has self contained episodes. But these cancellations of serials--Smith, The Nine, and now possibly Day Break, is beyond ridiculous.
The last ep. was the best so far, and all three of the shows you mentioned were ones I liked & got cancelled. From what I recall "24" didn't catch on right away either, but now it's a huge hit, so I sure wish they'd at least give Day Break a little more of a chance...

Edit: Though it may not mean much, I just emailed ABC here and to say KEEP Day Break. You can choose the title from the drop down menu.

Last edited by uteotw; 12-08-06 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-08-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006

I'm just as frustrated as you about the abrupt cancellations of all these new serials. I remember when 24 debuted back in 2001, the ratings weren't all that great (I think it was ranked in the 70's with over 8 million viewers), but FOX stuck with it and look where it's at now.

TV is such a cut throat business nowadays, that you either have a breakout hit right away or the show gets shelved.
Old 12-08-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
The ratings wouldn't be all that high. If the show is getting 4.7 million viewers where it's at now, that would take a big dip moving to a weekend night.
If it moves to Saturday nights, expect under 2 million viewers. I remember FOX moved Vanished to Friday's when it was getting over 6 million viewers on Monday's and it seriously took a nose dive to barely over 2 million viewers.
Old 12-08-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Why is noone watching this show???

I can't believe that re-runs of Bones are actually getting higher ratings than this???

It's beyond incomprehendible why a fucking Nielsen family would rather watch re-runs than 13 weeks of a brand spanking new show with an exciting mystery storyline.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-08-06 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe the people watching Bones reruns were busy watching LOST the first time around.
Old 12-08-06, 01:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It seems pretty obvious to me that a procedural show that one can watch an episode of without having ever seen it before is going to get better ratings than a serial that requires a 13 week commitment. While Day Break isn't rocket science, it's not just something you can sit and watch casually.
Old 12-08-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, got some bad news folks. ABC will be pulling plug on Day Break after either episode 8 or 9. We will finish all the episodes for foreign distribution and DVD, and the remaining episodes will hopefully be available on ABC's website so those few who have been watching can see how it all turns out.

Personally, I'm really pissed about this, especially after all the lead up to the premiere promising 13 straight episodes and "you will see how it all ends." It is great that Touchstone decided to finish the series, but ABC are idiots for pulling this so close to the end. And the networks wonder why TV viewership is down. No one trusts them to follow through anymore on anything other than crappy reality shows and lame-ass game shows.
Old 12-08-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
geez, they're definitely putting money into this... i was up in NYC this week, and there were a gazillion DayBreak ads (a bunch in times square alone). you'd think they'd stick with it.

it's simple. if the networks want the viewers to commit to a show, guess what? the networks have to commit to the show.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-08-06 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

That really really stinks that ABC is pulling the plug. I just can't believe how piss poor the numbers have been for this show. I do agree with FinkPish, if the networks want people to stick and stay with a show, you have to commit to it and stay to that commitment. Studio 60 on NBC has been getting around 6-7 million, which suck for a 10pm show, but they are sticking with it.

Oh well, at least Jack Bauer is returning in a little more than a month.

RIP Day Break......Hope to see you on ABC.com
Old 12-08-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ABC definitely spent money on this show, all up front, and to me in a poor fashion. The TV ads were just horrible and didn't make the show appear to be interesting or exciting at all. Looking around different forums before the premiere, most people seemed to be really turned off by the approach of the ads, but once people actually watched the show they seemed to like it despite the ads. I'm curious know how it would have turned out if the ads were better in showing how the show really was. Maybe I can find a way to repeat the last few weeks.....
Old 12-08-06, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Maybe I can find a way to repeat the last few weeks.....
Hey! That would make a great idea for a new show.

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.