Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "The Christmas Show" - 12/04/06

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
So you think "Crazy" Christians might have been a pro-Christian sketch?
And you don't think it could be about some Christians who happen to act crazy - not necessarily saying that all of them are? You don't think there are crazy Christians in this world? How about Pat Robertson? How about the Southern Baptist group that wanted ban gay people from Disney World?

I would consider myself a Christian as well (although I have problems with the organized Church over a number of things and I'm totally anti-700 Club) and I have yet to take offense to anything said or implied on this show.
Old 12-07-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the sorkin bashing based on anti-christianity is left over resentment from what he did on the west wing.
Old 12-07-06, 03:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by auntiewinnie
1) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is low rated. True. Monday's episode, for instance, had a rating roughly 2/3rds of that of the CSI show on CBS (which was a repeat). (source)
The reason NBC picked up the show for a full season wasn't because of the number of people overall that were watching, but because of the demographic. In terms of average household income, Studio 60 ranks very high. These are people that are very valuable to advertisers, and they are willing to pay NBC so they can target this group.
Old 12-07-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auntiewinnie

So you would then contend that in the first 11 episodes of this show there has been no content which could be construed by a rational person as being hostile to Christianity?
Heh. Nice try.

das
Old 12-07-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by megashock5
And you don't think it could be about some Christians who happen to act crazy - not necessarily saying that all of them are? You don't think there are crazy Christians in this world?
Of course there are crazy Christians in the world. I won't deny that. And it's true that we'll never know for sure without more details. I think they could have made fun of the "crazy" Christians out there in a funny way or it could have been handled in an offensive way. From the context of the show, I got the impression that it would have been offensive to most Christians. I don't think the sketch would have been pulled and been so controversial if the actual sketch would have been funny to most Christians. But that was just my take on it.

Regardless, I still watch the show and find these Town Hall people to be off their rockers. I hope Studio 60 does a "sketch" on them.
Old 12-07-06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
And to complain that Sorkin is using his money to support causes he believes in is just too much.
The Townhall ad states "He is funding numerous liberal causes and has contributed to dozens of Democrats including Ted Kennedy" (which is a demonstratably true statement if you look at the opensecrets.org link I provided in a previous post), which IMDB turns into (emphasis mine), "The website accused Sorkin... of using his wealth to fund liberal causes and political candidates." The word "accused" implies something which has yet to be proven, and in this context seems to deliberately give a very sinister connotation -- like they are saying "HE'S A WITCH!! BURN HIM!!"
Old 12-07-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MEJHarrison

So you think "Crazy" Christians might have been a pro-Christian sketch?
I think I don't know what it's about, which was the point of that plot thread, that people will protest something based on its name or the instructions of others without knowledge of the content ... much like people are reacting here. Within the context of Studio 60, it's immaterial what it was actually about.

das
Old 12-07-06, 04:02 PM

^^ Okay, but I think that was the whole point. The sketch was considered to be offensive without knowing what it was about - just based on the name.

We don't know the content or context, but neither did the protesters and affiliates who threatened to pull out.

[edit: this was in repsonse to AuntieWinnie, not das Monkey]

Last edited by megashock5; 12-08-06 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 04:07 PM

The real point is that "Crazy Christians" was an unseen sketch within the show, so you can't exactly accuse Sorkin of blasting (or supporting, for that matter) Christians with it.

But I fail to see why anybody cares what Sorkin does with his money. Don't like the show? Find it "offensive"? I'm sorry to hear that, but I can help: don't watch it. Problem solved.
Old 12-07-06, 04:25 PM

Exactly. Matt even went as far as to explain to Harriet that his problem with Robertson was that he thought he was a racist. I still see it as being against overzealous religious organizations, not Christ himself.
Exactly, I'm a follower of Christ and most of those televangelists are bozos who do more harm than good.

Chris
Old 12-07-06, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Heh. Nice try.

das
So what exactly has been the point of this whole debate today?

Townhall.com makes up an ad to try to drive people to its site, then IMDB characterizes it as some kind of craven attack by ULTRAconservatives out to inflict all manners of harm to poor Aaron Sorkin, his put-upon show, and the general good (forgive my hyperbole). Then that gets posted here, and the fun begins.

And in the end what have we learned? Probably not much. There are still going to be people (like myself) that are not unsympathetic to the claims of consistent bias toward religion and those oh-so-hard-to-agree-upon "family values" by the show (as there are in so many other places in the mainstream entertainment culture), and there are going to be others who just don't see what the heck people like me are talking about (or if they do, are a bit too afaid to admit it lest someone think poorly of them). Just another day at the office.

So, until the next time, my friends, I bid you adieu.
Old 12-07-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I don't know what it's about, which was the point of that plot thread, that people will protest something based on its name or the instructions of others without knowledge of the content ... much like people are reacting here. Within the context of Studio 60, it's immaterial what it was actually about.
Fair enough. Still, if I were a station owner in this fictional little world, and I serviced somewhere in the Bible belt, I'd be concerned enough from the title alone to start asking questions. I wouldn't pull the airing necessarily, but I'd be concerned. But I did think the people on the show were totally over-reacting to what was essentially a title and nothing more.

In an ideal world of course, the station manager/owner/whatever would tell people to change the channel and grow up.

I don't think this one example (in isolation) says anything about Sorkin one way or another. But as a whole, I think the show has focused too much on politics and religion so far. Not that that's bad per se, but I personally find it tedious. I already saw enough political ads this past fall.
Old 12-07-06, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by auntiewinnie
STownhall.com makes up an ad to try to drive people to its site, then IMDB characterizes it as some kind of craven attack by ULTRAconservatives out to inflict all manners of harm to poor Aaron Sorkin, his put-upon show, and the general good (forgive my hyperbole). Then that gets posted here, and the fun begins.
I would say that the group is ULTRA something. Most reasonable people, when faced with a show that has material they object to, don't watch it. They don't spend money on an ad condemning it.
Old 12-07-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MEJHarrison

But as a whole, I think the show has focused too much on politics and religion so far. Not that that's bad per se, but I personally find it tedious.
I don't disagree with you there, which is why I've enjoyed recent episodes more than some of the early ones. He was getting his preach on a little too much at the beginning.

das
Old 12-08-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Another brilliant "holiday" episode from Sorkin. Those that liked this one and never watched The West Wing should find a way to watch the In Excelsis Deo episode.
Old 12-08-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Okay, but I think that was the whole point. The sketch was considered to be offensive without knowing what it was about - just based on the name.
Well that and the fact that the guy from Broadcast Standards and Practices deemed it too offensive to air. Since we have no real gauge for what about the sketch made him uncomfortable with airing it, we can't really judge its content except to speculate. Most likely it is poking fun at people with extreme Christian beliefs - yes, because in sketch comedy the EXTREMITY is what makes for more "funny". However, Harriet wasn't offended by it, and she is pretty conservative.

Typical to anyone arguing that the show has a hard anti-Christianity bent, they have made a mountain out of a barely existing mole hill. But then again, isn't that what being a religious zealot is all about?
Old 12-08-06, 03:19 PM

Is the In Excelsius Deo episode an episode of West Wing? I really loved this one! I think it was the best one since the pilot! Whitford did a fantastic job! Left me wanting more....I can't believe taht we have to wait a few weeks to see another new one. Does anyone know when they come off of hiatus?
Old 12-08-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fernsita
Is the In Excelsius Deo episode an episode of West Wing?
Yep. Episode 1.10

Originally Posted by fernsita
Does anyone know when they come off of hiatus?
Next new episode is Jan. 8
Old 12-08-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Using auntiewinnie's logic:

If a character on a show is for/against a group then the entire show is for/against a group.

"All in the Family" - racist
"Heroes" - pro serial killing
"Cheers" - pro alcoholic
"Ellen" - pro-gay (well, yeah)

Is there some Mirror Universe where there is a post by Mirror auntiewinnie accusing "Studio 60" of being pro-religion because the character of Harriet stands up for her Christian beliefs?
Old 12-08-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
We don't know what Crazy Christians was about, other than the name and the fact that people will flip out over a name without context (something proven by this thread). The boardroom sketch was about censorship, the silliness of allowing "geez" but not "Jesus", the hypocrisy and misplaced priorities with regard to television violence and language ... and it was very pro-Jesus. And being anti-700 Club is a far cry from being anti-Christian.

The reaction to these bits just underscores why they're there in the first place.

das
Old 12-12-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Bump: The jazz version of "O Holy Night" is available as a free MP3 on NBC.com here.

That's a classy move NBC - way to go.
Old 12-23-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched it again.

What a wonderful hour of television. I had to fight back the tears during several scenes.

I would have to say it is in my top 5 episodes of all time ... of any show.

If you have the the cash, it is up on Amazon video downloads.

Edit: Oops didnt see the mp3 mentioned above.

Last edited by Ayre; 12-27-06 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

100% don't agree, but I'm starting to see Studio 60 on a few "worst TV shows of the year" or "biggest disappointment" lists. (eg EW )

I wonder if it has more to do with expectations or "politics" than content, however.
Old 12-27-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I apologize if this has already been posted, but in case you haven't seen it, here's the MadTV sketch that really takes the piss out of Studio 60.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuS71qH1k8E
Old 12-27-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So with this on a short break, does anyone know if they will repeat the pilot? They've shown the damn Christmas one, what three times already?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.