Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC announces their mid-season 2006-07 schedule

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC announces their mid-season 2006-07 schedule

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...9nbc02#Scene_1

BURBANK, Calif. -- November 29, 2006 -- NBC will re-shape its mid-season program lineup following the planned departure of Sunday Night Football in January with the debut of the new reality series Grease: Youre the One That I Want (8-9 p.m. ET) on Sunday, January 7 (8-9 p.m. ET) and the season premiere of the Emmy Award-nominated The Apprentice (9-10 p.m. ET) - followed two weeks later by the return of the popular drama Crossing Jordan on Sunday, January 21 (10-11 p.m. ET).

In addition, starting on Wednesday, January 3, NBCs Wednesday-night lineup will have a new look with the popular game show Deal or No Deal shifting to the 9-10 p.m. (ET) slot. Likewise, on Wednesday, January 10, Friday Night Lights - the critically acclaimed freshman drama that recently received a full-season order -- will now be broadcast from 8-9 p.m. (ET) starting that night. Both programs will precede Medium, which continues at 10-11 p.m. (ET).

As a result, Dateline NBC will replace Friday Night Lights on Tuesdays (8-9 p.m. ET) beginning December 26 and will eventually add an additional night on Sundays (7-8 p.m. ET) beginning February 11.

In addition, new mid-season dramas "Raines" and "The Black Donnellys" will also join the NBC schedule in Spring 2007 on a date and time period to be announced later.

The announcements were made by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"It's already been a terrific Fall for NBC, our re-build is in motion and were looking to maintain that momentum through the Spring, said Reilly. Although the second half of the season will get tougher, we think the quality of our mid-season series will continue to fuel NBCs year-to-year story of ratings growth.

The following includes NBC's new mid-season schedule (all times ET):

Mondays
8-9 p.m. -- "Deal or No Deal"
9-10 p.m. -- "Heroes"
10-11 p.m. -- "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"

Tuesdays
8-9 p.m.-- "Dateline NBC" (beginning December 26)
9-10 p.m. -- "Law & Order: Criminal Intent"
10-11 p.m. -- "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

Wednesdays
8-9 p.m. -- "Friday Night Lights" (January 10)
9-10 p.m. -- "Deal or No Deal" (January 3)
10-11 p.m. -- "Medium"

Thursdays
8-9 p.m. -- "My Name Is Earl"
8:30-9 p.m. -- "The Office"
9-9:30 p.m. -- "Scrubs"
9:30-10 p.m. -- "30 Rock"
10-11 p.m. -- "ER"

Fridays
8-9 p.m. -- "1 VS 100"
9-10 p.m. -- "Las Vegas"
10-11 p.m. -- "Law & Order"

Saturdays
8-9 p.m. - Dateline NBC (repeats)
9-11 p.m. -- Drama repeats

Sundays
7-8 p.m. -- "Dateline NBC" (February 11)
8-9 p.m. -- "Grease: You're the One That I Want" (January 7; first two weeks will run from 8-9:30 p.m.)
9-10 p.m. -- "The Apprentice" (January 7; first two weeks will run from 9:30-11 p.m.)
10-11 p.m. -- "Crossing Jordan" (January 21)

The fifth cycle of "The Apprentice" last season averaged a 4.0 rating, 9 share in adults 18-49 and 9.8 million viewers overall, and ranked as one of the most upscale shows on television. The fifth cycle peaked with its June 5 finale (4.4/12 in 18-49, 11.2 million viewers overall), which scored primetime's #2 non-sports rating of that week in adults 18-49.

"Friday Night Lights" is averaging a 2.5 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49 and 6.1 million viewers overall on Tuesday nights this season. The "FNL" audience has been impressively young and upscale, with the third-lowest median age for a primetime NBC series and strong concentrations of key upscale households in its viewership.

For the 2005-06 season, "Crossing Jordan" averaged a 3.3 rating, 8 share in adults 18-49 and 10.9 million viewers overall. Last season, "Crossing Jordan" consistently built on its adult 18-49 lead-in from "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" despite airing opposite ABC's "Grey's Anatomy."

The most powerful people in musical theater are on a mission in Grease: Youre the One That I Want (Sundays, 8-9 p.m. ET, starting January 7 with a special premiere from 8 -9:30 p.m. ET). They have the stage, the lights, the money, the music, the cast and the costumes. But theyre missing one thing -- the leads. NBC will search for the next Sandy and Danny in the new talent competition series from BBC Worldwide Productions as America will ultimately get to choose the two leads for a new Broadway production of "Grease." The new production of "Grease" will open on Broadway in June 2007 and will be directed and choreographed by two-time Tony Award-winner Kathleen Marshall ("The Pajama Game"), who will also be a judge on the TV series along with Jim Jacobs, the co-creator of "Grease" and renowned theater producer David Ian. Billy Bush (Access Hollywood) and Denise Van Outen (Chicago) on Broadway serve as host and co-host.

"Grease: You're the One That I Want" is produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Al Edgington ("Last Comic Standing," "The Amazing Race"), Lou Stroller ("Tomb Raider," "The Rock," "Scarface") and Paul Telegdy, Senior Vice President, Programming and Production, BBC Worldwide, are the executive producers. Suzy Lamb (BBC UK's "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?") is the co-executive producer.

The Apprentice (Sundays, 9-10 p.m. ET beginning January 7 with a special premiere from 9:30-11 p.m. ET) moves to Southern California for season six of the unscripted series -- leaving Manhattan for the first time in the history of the show. Series star Donald Trump will once again do the firing -- and the hiring -- as 18 enterprising candidates vie for the coveted title of The Apprentice and the career opportunity of a lifetime working for the legendary business tycoon. Along with the new Southern California backdrop comes a whole new series of surprising twists and turns that will make this the liveliest and most challenging competition yet among candidates eager to become the next Apprentice.

"The Apprentice" is produced by Mark Burnett Productions in association with Trump Productions LLC. Mark Burnett, Donald Trump and Jay Bienstock are executive producers. Conrad Riggs, James Canniffe and Page Feldman are co-executive producers.

Expanding on the hit feature film Friday Night Lights, this poignant series (Wednesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET beginning January 10) centers on the small rural town of Dillon, Texas, where the coveted state football championship rings are held in the highest regard. Dillons promising high school team and newly appointed head coach, Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler, King Kong, Greys Anatomy) feel the mounting pressure of the towns pride and honor riding on their shoulders as the season progresses.

The cast also includes: Scott Porter (The Bedford Diaries) as rehabilitating team captain and first-string quarterback, Jason Street; Gaius Charles (Book of Daniel) as feared running back Brian Smash Williams; Taylor Kitsch (Kyle XY) as running back Tim Riggins; Connie Britton (The Brothers McMullen, 24) as Taylors supportive wife, Tami; Zach Gilford (The Last Winter) as third-string quarterback, Matt Saracen, and Minka Kelly (What I Like About You) as Lyla Garrity, Panther cheerleader and Streets girlfriend.

Also starring are: Aimee Teegarden (Neds Declassified School Survival Guide) as Coach Taylors daughter, Julie; Adrianne Palicki (South Beach) as Tyra Collette, and Jesse Plemons (Greys Anatomy) as Landry Clarke.

The series is executive-produced by Peter Berg (the film Friday Night Lights, The Rundown), who also wrote and directed the pilot, as well as Brian Grazer (The Da Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind), Jason Katims (Roswell), David Nevins (Arrested Development, 24) and Sarah Aubrey (Bad Santa, The Kingdom). Friday Night Lights is a production of Imagine Television, NBC Universal Television Studio and Film 44.

The powerful drama Crossing Jordan (Sundays, 10-11 p.m. ET, beginning January 21) from NBCs Heroes executive producer Tim Kring heads into its sixth season and continues to explore disturbing topical crimes, while following a cadre of coroners who use their forensic skills to help the Boston police department bring murderers to justice and closure to victims families.

Jill Hennessy (NBCs Law & Order) stars as Dr. Jordan Cavanaugh, a sexy, smart and fearless medical examiner with a checkered past. She works under the guidance of Dr. Garrett Macy (Miguel Ferrer, Traffic), the no-nonsense head of the morgue, and alongside Detective Woodrow Woody Hoyt (Jerry OConnell, Jerry Maguire), who puts in the legwork to hunt down the perpetrators of crimes. Yet, Jordans unorthodox methods constantly test her professional and personal relationships.

Additional support for the investigative team is provided by grief counselor Lily Lebowski (Kathryn Hahn, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days), forensic entomologist Bug (Ravi Kapoor, Gideons Crossing) and criminalist Nigel Townsend (Steve Valentine, The Muse). This season, trouble is in store for Jordan and her colleagues when Special Prosecutor William Ivers (Jeffrey Donovan, Touching Evil) is appointed to investigate the morgue; and Kate Switzer (Brooke Smith, Silence of the Lambs), a prickly medical examiner, joins the coroners office.

Crossing Jordan is from Tailwind Productions in association with NBC Universal Television Studio. Kring (Heroes) is creator and executive producer; Dennis Hammer (Heroes), Allan Arkush ("Heroes), Jon Cowan ("American Dreams"), Robert Rovner ("American Dreams") and Kathy McCormick (NBC's "Law & Order") are executive producers.

Academy Award winners Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco ("Crash") are the creators of "The Black Donnellys," a gritty new crime drama series loosely based on Moresco's background. The series follows the exploits of four young, working-class Irish brothers and their involvement in organized crime in New York City. Despite their rough surroundings, the Donnelly brothers basically remain "good kids" -- who will do anything to protect each other against all odds. The ensemble cast includes Jonathan Tucker ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), Billy Lush ("Huff"), Thomas Guiry ("Mystic River"), Michael Stahl-David ("Uncle Nino"), Keith Nobbs ("25th Hour"), Olivia Wilde ("The O.C.") and Kirk Acevedo ("Oz").

Haggis, who directed the pilot, and Moresco are the creators, executive producers and co-writers. The series is from NBC Universal Television Studio in association with Blackfriars Bridge Productions.

In "Raines," Emmy-Award winning writer-producer Graham Yost ("Band of Brothers," Boomtown") and star Jeff Goldblum ("The Lost World: Jurassic Park," "Independence Day," "The Fly") combine creative forces in this inventive police drama, which blends traditional noir storytelling with humor and intrigue. Eccentric LAPD Detective Michael Raines (Goldblum) has a unique ability -- his imagination is so keen that when he's on a murder case, the murder victims actually take shape in front of him. Matt Craven ("From the Earth to the Moon"), Dov Davidoff ("Third Watch"), Linda Park ("Star Trek: Enterprise"), Nicole Sullivan ("MADTV"), Malik Yoba (Thief) and Madeleine Stowe (The Last of the Mohicans) also star.

"Raines" is from NBC Universal Television Studio.

Dateline NBC (Tuesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET beginning December 26, and later Sundays, February 11, 7-8 p.m. ET), the signature broadcast for NBC News in primetime, premiered in 1992. Since then, it has been pioneering a new approach to primetime news programming. The multi-night franchise, supplemented by frequent specials, allows NBC to present the highest-quality reporting, investigative features and newsmaker profiles, consistently and comprehensively.

Stone Phillips and Ann Curry anchor. The broadcast also features leading NBC News talents Tom Brokaw, Brian Williams and Matt Lauer, as well as correspondents that include Victoria Corderi, Chris Hansen, Sara James, Hoda Kotb, John Larson, Edie Magnus, Josh Mankiewicz, Keith Morrison, Dennis Murphy, Rob Stafford, Mike Taibbi and Lea Thompson.

Dateline NBC is a production of NBC News. David Corvo is the executive producer. Liz Cole is the executive editor.

Chris
Old 11-29-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised they're not going to try to move Studio 60. Seems to me that it can't hurt to try this on another night. Maybe switch it with Medium.
Old 11-29-06, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I'm surprised they're not going to try to move Studio 60. Seems to me that it can't hurt to try this on another night. Maybe switch it with Medium.
I wish they would move it to a 9 pm slot because I don't like staying up to 11 pm to watch it in HD.

Chris
Old 11-29-06, 06:08 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Now it's Without A Trace vs Crossing Jordan on Sunday nights... oh great!
Old 11-29-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to The Black Donnellys because of Paul Haggis, but Raines sounds horrible.
Old 11-29-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The Apprentice is really going to suck this season. No more George or Carol (instead we get those damned Trump kids), they're moving it to LA, and the rules are changing for the game (team leaders keep being team leaders as long as they're winning, and losing teams have to pay penalties such as sleeping in tents outside).
Old 11-29-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That Grease show sounds awful.

I can't wait to watch!
Old 11-29-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
It's about damn time for Crossing Jordan to come back. I think it was really smart for NBC to bring it back in it's old timeslot where it had it's most success. Going against Without a Trace and Brothers and Sisters, I think CJ should finish 2nd in the timeslot. Hopefully NBC promotes the shit out of it during the holidays.
Old 11-29-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll watch Raines, pretty much because it has Jeff Goldblum.
Old 11-29-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Wednesday's at 8pm are still going to be tough for Friday Night Lights. It's going against the 2nd night of Idol auditions and the results show later in the season.
Old 11-29-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I wish that FNL got moved to Sunday or Monday night at 8 after football season ended.
Old 11-29-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I wish that FNL got moved to Sunday or Monday night at 8 after football season ended.
Agreed!! Those 2 timeslots would have been perfect. Instead we get Howie Mandel and Grease??
Old 11-29-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Where the f**k is that new Andy Richter series produced by Conan?
Old 11-29-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Friday Night Lights won't have to deal with American Idol once the real show starts after the audition episodes because I think Fox will put Bones in the 8 p.m. slot, and AI is in the 9 p.m. slot, per last season's scheduling.
Old 11-29-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must echo the thoughts above about the lack of a move for Studio 60. That says very bad things about the quality of all of the hourlong shows they have for us at midseason if you ask me. You have to imagine the S60 audience would follow the show to a good number of timeslots. The only reason this makes sense to me is if they have really substantial market research that suggests a lot of MNF viewers will flock to the show once football is done.
Old 11-29-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Where the f**k is that new Andy Richter series produced by Conan?
Maybe they're going to forego some repeats of the Thursday comedies to give it a try there.
Old 11-29-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Frankly, I don't see many timeslots where S60 could improve in the ratings without NBC hurting another show (for example, flipping it with ER). It is what it is and I never see it being a ratings-grabber no matter what timeslot it's in. I'd say be happy that it is still on the schedule.
Old 11-29-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care where S60 airs. Mondays at 10 actually work very nicely for me. I'm just shocked they aren't trying something just to free up that tasty post-Heroes slot for something they could promote and possibly turn into a hit.
Old 11-29-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Now it's Without A Trace vs Crossing Jordan on Sunday nights... oh great!
...vs. Brothers and Sisters.

The most powerful people in musical theater are on a mission in Grease: Youre the One That I Want (Sundays, 8-9 p.m. ET, starting January 7 with a special premiere from 8 -9:30 p.m. ET). They have the stage, the lights, the money, the music, the cast and the costumes. But theyre missing one thing -- the leads. NBC will search for the next Sandy and Danny in the new talent competition series from BBC Worldwide Productions as America will ultimately get to choose the two leads for a new Broadway production of "Grease." The new production of "Grease" will open on Broadway in June 2007 and will be directed and choreographed by two-time Tony Award-winner Kathleen Marshall ("The Pajama Game"), who will also be a judge on the TV series along with Jim Jacobs, the co-creator of "Grease" and renowned theater producer David Ian. Billy Bush (Access Hollywood) and Denise Van Outen (Chicago) on Broadway serve as host and co-host.

Ohhh Myyy God! Horrible idea!
Old 11-29-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I understand it right, the Grease thing is the American take on some British show where they picked a new lead for The Sound of Music.
Old 11-29-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You people are overlooking the best thing about this announcement:

SCRUBS!!!
Old 11-29-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Darknite39
You people are overlooking the best thing about this announcement:

SCRUBS!!!
We already knew Scrubs was coming back. In fact, it starts this week.
Old 11-29-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know...I just can't contain my excitement.
Old 11-30-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The new FNL timeslot works for me.
Old 11-30-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't care when anything actually "airs" thanks to DVR. I'm surprised anyone on DVDTalk does.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.