Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "the Cost Of Living" -- 11.01.2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 08:40 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
It appears to me that the "smoke" is obviously some nano technology that can read your thoughts and take the shape of people from your past (then lead you on a goose chase and kick your ass) --- so that said, how in the F can the writers explain it scientifically?
Perhaps they all read Michael Crichton's Prey?
Old 11-02-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aktick
Anybody think the eye-patch guy might be controlling smokey? It's the last unknown hatch, and it's called the "flame," right? Where there's smoke, there's fire.
I think that is a very interesting possibility.
Old 11-02-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts
Another thing I just remembered that bothered the piss out of me. It was implied that the Pearl station was watching the other stations without them knowing it, via hidden cameras that the occupants of said other stations wouldn't know about. Not only did old eyepatch know about the camera, he was magically there looking at it at the exact moment that Sayid connected its feed. Apparently this was just so that he could look menancing and turn it off. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 11-02-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
The two new survivors felt very out of place....It wasn't bad acting on their part, it's just that they felt forced upon us. All the sudden we're supposed to accept these two new people, no questions asked. They've always been there, and Locke and everyone knows them, apparently. Hmm....I was thinking that one of them would be killed, so that we could then get closer to the other character as they mourned the loss of their friend.
The screw up with those two characters is that they had a shitty introduction and we've spent too much time with the principal survivors.
Old 11-02-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still don't understand how people don't seem to like this season! TONS of stuff is happening.

Remember, in the past they spent one whole frakin' season just to open up a hatch! Already on this season we've seen what that big "monster" is (black smoke), opened up some more hatches, seen and had interaction with the Others, etc...

Don't try to figure it out! Just enjoy the ride they're taking you on!
Old 11-02-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nanotechnology was already ruled out by the producers during the first season I believe. It was suggested by a few people (myself included), and discarded. A search on the forum should give more details.
Old 11-02-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I hated to see Eko die. And I was completly unspoiled, so it was a pleasant surprise.

WTF is up with the hate regarding the Tallies' deaths? I enjoyed the Tallies episodes last season - their deaths don't mean the shows were wasted.

Face it, the idea of LOST - they are presumambly on an island - lends itself to story lines that take a long time to develop, and then be replaced by new story lines. I mean the biggest mystery of Season 1 - the hatch - was complelty blown up. Does that mean the storylines were blown? I don't think so. I enjoyed it.

I don't think the drunk driving convictions have anything to do with people's firing. And there is enough speculation on Internet (akin to 1,000 monkeys typing would eventually produce Shakespeare) the idea that somebody would die is nothing special.

And finally, the Wishmaster seeing the camera? So what? The cameras were supposed to be hidden - I'm sure since the project completly derailed - somebody figured out when the cameras went active.

Last edited by chanster; 11-02-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-02-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Already on this season we've seen what that big "monster" is (black smoke)
Didn't we see that last season? And the season before?
Old 11-02-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm pissed at the writers for killing people off with DUIs. I'm sure there are production people that are doing far worse things in their private time then drinking and driving. Fucking pisses me off.
Old 11-02-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
It does suck show continuity-wise for the DUI people to get killed off the show, but fuck them, anyone who drinks and drives deserves to get killed off in real life not just on a tv show.

/rant off
Old 11-02-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I'm pissed at the writers for killing people off with DUIs. I'm sure there are production people that are doing far worse things in their private time then drinking and driving. Fucking pisses me off.
I think drinking and driving is one of the worst things someone can do, as it can potentially kill others, and those that do it should be locked up for a long time. Most stuff people do in their private time do not kill others. I would rather they fuck goats and drink blood than drive drunk.

Last edited by cdollaz; 11-02-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-02-06, 09:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
did anyone else hear a clicking noise when the black smoke was moving around and killing one of my favourite characters>
Old 11-02-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you know that people aren't killed off by the writers, then the get upset about it, get drunk and drive home?

Everybody thinks that a DUI leads to the writers killing the actor off. I think that the writers killing the actor off might lead to DUIs.
Old 11-02-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Besides, Eko wasn't arrested for DUI.
Old 11-02-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Eko was on Regis and Kelly today, and stated that it was planned all along that he would be killed off? and that he is working on directing a movie now....
Old 11-02-06, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
did anyone else hear a clicking noise when the black smoke was moving around and killing one of my favourite characters>
Yes, the smoke monster has always been accompanied by a "ratcheting chain" noise, not unlike the noise you hear when a old fashioned roller coaster is being dragged up the first slope.
Old 11-02-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts
To me the smoke monster sound reminds me of a dot matrix printer or something like that.
Old 11-02-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
I mean the biggest mystery of Season 1 - the hatch - was complelty blown up.
Maybe not completely destoryed .. that one camera showed the PC room from the Swan station pretty much the way it was before the boom. The PC was still sitting on the desk.

Perhaps this is another continuity issue, or maybe what we've seen isn't what really happened.
Old 11-02-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by achau9598
Maybe not completely destoryed .. that one camera showed the PC room from the Swan station pretty much the way it was before the boom. The PC was still sitting on the desk.

Perhaps this is another continuity issue, or maybe what we've seen isn't what really happened.
You mean the video screen that showed the one-eyed man? You didn't think that was another hatch we were seeing?
Old 11-02-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
You mean the video screen that showed the one-eyed man? You didn't think that was another hatch we were seeing?
wasn't there another shot before the one-eyed guy .. where it looked just like the room in the Swan station? or did the camera pan and he was there.
Old 11-02-06, 11:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
I mean, all the Tallies are dead except Bernard, so the point of wasting all that time about them was for.....what, exactly?
In that way of thinking, you could use that argument that about ANY character that dies in ANY show. Ana Lucia provided conflict, Lilly fleshed out the Hurley character (and probably will continue to in future flashbacks), and by spending so much time with them it provided the required 'impact' of Michael murdering them both. If they were two random nobodies it wouldn't have near the same effect. Eko was instrumental in many key plotlines... the hatch, this week's revelation about the smoke monster/hallucinations.

Originally Posted by Doughboy
And enough with extras in the background becoming major players out of nowhere. It was annoying when Arnst starting blabbering away(although at least he got blowed up almost immediately after he arrived). Now we're stuck with these two jerkoffs who don't look like they've spent 10 minutes on a desert island never mind 2 1/2 months. The chick had clean clothes and her hair done for chrissakes!
While I agree that it was executed sort of haphazardly, I'm all for seeing some of the other island residents having prominent roles from time to time. My single biggest pet peeve with this show is that you've got 40-some crash survivors and yet it's the same 10 people that do EVERYTHING of any importance. It just bugs me that these other 30 people just sit aroung while Hurley and Charley and the rest go on the adventures every single time. I actually was thrilled to hear that throwaway line from the girl to the guy... "You're always complaining that you never get included in anything, come on!"
Old 11-02-06, 11:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdoug57
Just wonder why the "system" would kill Eko when the last time they met, they seemed to just act cautious and circle each other.
My first guess is that the killing was a response to Eko refusing to confess his sins. But then I came to thinking and have a second theory:
Spoiler:
There could be more than one of these "systems". This one seemed to have a morality issue, but the one that tried to get Hurley to jump off the ledge seemed to have different motivations.
Old 11-02-06, 11:30 AM

Could it be when Jack was seeing his dad in the "White Rabbit" episode it was the black smoke?

Also, when Ben was held captive in the hatch he told Locke that he was coming for him, so maybe they are his x-rays
Old 11-02-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by achau9598
wasn't there another shot before the one-eyed guy .. where it looked just like the room in the Swan station? or did the camera pan and he was there.
I believe the camera panned and he was standing there looking right at it.
Old 11-02-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Didn't we see that last season? And the season before?
I don't recall seeing it in the first season. I did miss the first half of the 2nd season though (thought the show was moving way too slowly, so I gave up on it).

Ok, so maybe the smoke was seen before. But was the connection made before today that it was the "monster" we heard (but never saw) in the first season?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.