Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which current show doesn't get enough recognition here?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to vote for Criminal Minds. Where is the love people? There are no weekly threads, and pretty much no discussion at all about it. It's one of my 5 favorite shows on the air right now.
Old 10-25-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the numbers, I'm guessing it would be L&O:SVU unless I just haven't noticed the threads because I'm not a regular viewer.

The only shows I watch that don't get much coverage here are The Soup and Everybody Hates Chris. I'm not sure either of them is really worth much recognition, though I enjoy them both.
Old 10-25-06, 11:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I'm going to vote for Criminal Minds. Where is the love people? There are no weekly threads, and pretty much no discussion at all about it. It's one of my 5 favorite shows on the air right now.
I started a few threads last season for it and only had a few posts. It doesn't help that it's against the most popular show on the board.
Old 10-25-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Crossing Jordan gets pretty much zero recognition here. It's been one of the most consistent top-rated shows in the last 3 years.
Old 10-25-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Crossing Jordan gets pretty much zero recognition here. It's been one of the most consistent top-rated shows in the last 3 years.
That's a good point. I don't watch any more because my wife hated the Leslie Bibb character (though she loved Popular), but I did notice when I watched in the past that the show got no attention on this board.
Old 10-26-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not a surprise that most procedurals get no love on a weekly basis. It's the shows with the ongoing story arcs that spur the discussions, while the one-shot aspect of the procedurals offer little to speculate and discuss after each episode is over.
Old 10-26-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
^^ I agree Patman. I was just going to make the same point. Unless there's something really special about a particular episode of a procedural (someone dying, a to be continued ep or something like when Tarantino directed the CSI ep), there's really not much to say about it, which isn't necessarily a criticism toward those shows.
Old 10-26-06, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't even know Crossing Jordan was still on!

Dexter. I hardly ever see it talked about here except when I'm raving about it. Though I'm not all that surprised actually. There's not much to discuss in the way that Lost is discussed. But it's still the best show on TV right now. No other show has me hanging onto every line like this does.
Old 10-26-06, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I really like Dexter as well, but I think one of the main reasons why it doesn't get discussed much around here is because it's on Showtime. The HBO shows get a lot of responses, but none of the Showtime shows has ever garnered much discussion. I remember when it was rumored that Arrested Development was heading to Showtime that there were a lot of regular posters saying they didn't have Showtime.
Old 10-26-06, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Svu
Old 10-26-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I started a few threads last season for it and only had a few posts. It doesn't help that it's against the most popular show on the board.
I think that is a non-factor since the majority of people here have DVRs.
Old 10-26-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Medium
Old 10-26-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'll go with My Name is Earl. So little love for that show. It's not hilarious like the Office, but it's not meant to be. I really enjoy how they combine the farsical with the positive message. I think it's a solid show, with alot of great gags, and should be more highly regarded
Old 10-26-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Without A Trace.
Although last season and this season have been subpar.
Old 10-26-06, 08:16 AM

The War at Home

People don't talk enough about how much that show really sucks.
Old 10-26-06, 08:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Doctor Who. There's a lot of people who are regulars in every other sci-fi series thread on this forum, but they're MIA when it comes to this show.
Old 10-26-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hahn
I didn't even know Crossing Jordan was still on!
It isn't on right now, actually. It was supposed to have a Friday night slot, but that changed due to 1 vs. 100. The odd thing about that was that I thought there was a CJ/LV crossover early in the season. I don't know how NBC is going to handle that since they are airing Las Vegas now but not Crossing Jordan.
Old 10-26-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
It's the shows with the ongoing story arcs that spur the discussions, while the one-shot aspect of the procedurals offer little to speculate and discuss after each episode is over.
So why no love for Brothers & Sisters?

Also, The New Adventures of Old Christine is a really funny show (and even won Julia Louis-Dreyfus an Emmy!), but I never see threads about it. Same goes for Everybody Hates Chris. I would say that goes for all comedies, but How I Met Your Mother always has one.
Old 10-26-06, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
So why no love for Brothers & Sisters?

Also, The New Adventures of Old Christine is a really funny show (and even won Julia Louis-Dreyfus an Emmy!), but I never see threads about it. Same goes for Everybody Hates Chris. I would say that goes for all comedies, but How I Met Your Mother always has one.
I agree. I think The New Adventures of Old Christine is hilarious, and I also enjoy Everybody Hates Chris, but I think the reason HIMYM gets a weekly thread is for the quotable one liners that Barney says. That's usually what gets posted there.
Old 10-26-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We had Everybody Hates Chris threads last year. It was usually me and somebody else talking about how nobody else apparently watched the show.
Old 10-26-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Unit
Shows with arcs that dominate the story get the most play here, shows with standalone eps have less need for discussion.
Old 10-26-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
The Unit
Shows with arcs that dominate the story get the most play here, shows with standalone eps have less need for discussion.
We tend to have discussions of The Unit. They generally revolve around half the people saying that they hate the wives and the other half complaining about the complainers. I have been on both sides because I hated the wife storylines last year but actually find them much improved so far this year.
Old 10-26-06, 10:46 AM

I'm a sucker for Numb3rs, yet rarely see a thread on it (or really have a desire to chat up the recent episode, honestly).

Same for Ghost Hunters and Mythbusters.
Old 10-26-06, 10:55 AM

I bet Dexter starts taking off in season 2 or 3 once the DVDs start circulating...in similar fashion to The Wire.
Old 10-26-06, 11:57 AM

Two & A Half Men. Mindless comedy, no drama, no messages, just fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.