Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Has the X-FILES Aged Well ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alliant

Most of season 1 and 2 are boring "monster of the week" episodes.

Old 10-25-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Some of those are the best episodes of the series.

Squeeze
Ice
Eve
Beyond the Sea
Darkness Falls
Tooms
The Host
Duane Berry/Ascension

just to name a few.

I thought duane berry/ascension was a mythology epi.
Old 10-25-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like some of the Doggett episodes.
Old 10-25-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed all 9 seasons.
Old 10-25-06, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
That's fine... if you don't mind that the mythology never really had a resolution.
If you can tolerate the mythology of Lost, you should have no problem with the mythology of the X-Files. And it did have a resolution in season 6.
Old 10-25-06, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Yeah it's called an opinion

And most people happen to agree with me, considering that the mythology is what kept viewers hooked during seasons 3-6.
Old 10-25-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And most people happen to agree with me, considering that the mythology is what kept viewers hooked during seasons 3-6.
Well, it didn't keep me hooked, but aside from that, there's nothing wrong with reexamining something after its completion. As a coherent story, the mythology of The X-Files was a farcical mess.
Old 10-25-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Well, it didn't keep me hooked, but aside from that, there's nothing wrong with reexamining something after its completion. As a coherent story, the mythology of The X-Files was a farcical mess.
IMHO the mythology was always a mish mash (usually incorrect) of whatever the conspiracy du jour was.

Just about every single classic X-Files was a stand alone.
Old 10-25-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
If you can tolerate the mythology of Lost, you should have no problem with the mythology of the X-Files. And it did have a resolution in season 6.
It did?

(If you're talking about "Two Fathers"/"One Son" - could that really be seen as a resolution?)
Old 10-25-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd think Alias would be the better example. For all we know, Lost might actually have a conclusion that makes sense.
Old 10-25-06, 10:26 PM

Buy the mythology sets.

Most of season 1 and 2 are boring "monster of the week" episodes.

Season 3, 4, 5, and 6(the first half of it) are the best.

Buy volumes 2 and 3 of the mythology set.

This way you get to see the most of the best characters on the show: Cancer man, Alex Krycek, the Well Mannicured Man, etc.

That's a bad idea. You can get the complete seasons that were re-issued in slim-packs for cheaper than what the mythology sets are.
Old 10-25-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And it did have a resolution in season 6.
Explain please.
Old 10-26-06, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by benh911
That's a bad idea. You can get the complete seasons that were re-issued in slim-packs for cheaper than what the mythology sets are.
Incorrect.

There are only 4 volumes to the Mythology set.

Each set costs less than $30 at most places online.

Total is $120 for all of the mythology.

The full season sets go for $40 each. There are 9 seasons.

That is a total of $360 for all 9 seasons.
Old 10-26-06, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Explain please.
In 2fathers/one son, they had a conclusion to the whole conspiracy, with the whole project failing.

Post your questions and I will try to answer.
Old 10-26-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watched a single episode of the X-files on TV and now its one of my very favorite shows. I think it has aged very well and I can't believe so many people dont enjoy the entire series. It seems most people can't handle change. I don't need season 9 to be the exact same show as it was in season 1. Just like I don't think a bad sequel or a remake can ruin a film. Seasons 7,8,9 are not as good as the early seasons but I still enjoyed them. After every DVD finished, I wanted to watch the next one. I loved the mythology of the show, it could have paid of better in certain areas but overall if was always fun to watch and try to figure out. I would love to know how the show may have worked if they ended it after season 7 and then came back years later with the new agents. For me the real greatness of the X-files was the magical chemistry between Mulder and Scully. I knew ahead of time that Mulder had a reduced roll in the later seasons and I was convinced I'd hate the show when that happened. I bought the DVDs anyway and was pleasantly surprised how much I still liked the show. To me the last few seasons are not as good as the early seasons but are still better than 90% of the TV out there, especially compared to what was on then. I guess it comes down to this question. Should a TV show be compared to other seasons of the same show or to the other shows on TV?
Old 10-26-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Ive just checked Gillian and David on IMDB, gee their careers really went down the crapper after the X Files. David never become the big film star.
Which is really too bad for Anderson who is quite capable of doing so much more! How she didn't get nominated for an Oscar The House of Mirth in 2000 is beyond comprehension! (Especially considering the British Independent Film Awards gave her Best Actress.)
Old 10-26-06, 10:29 PM

Incorrect.

Good point. I was just thinking about one full season in relation to one mythology set, but didn't consider that there are 4 mythology sets and 9 total seasons.
Old 10-26-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Explain please.

The X-Files Mythology Explained
Old 10-27-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No really? Thats why I didnt call you a frigging idiot, because everyone has a opinion.
Old 10-27-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Which is really too bad for Anderson who is quite capable of doing so much more! How she didn't get nominated for an Oscar The House of Mirth in 2000 is beyond comprehension! (Especially considering the British Independent Film Awards gave her Best Actress.)

Gillian is kind of an odd bird and she very anti-Hollywood.

As you pointed out, she's an amazing actress, but she's chosen this career. She would not be having a Duchovny-like career if she had stayed in the US and pursued bigger projects.

She simply chose another path.
Old 10-27-06, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
No really? Thats why I didnt call you a frigging idiot, because everyone has a opinion.
Looks like you just did
Old 10-28-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Incorrect.

The best price I've seen online for the Mythology Sets is about $27.50 each, while the best price for the newer slimcased Season Sets is $35 each. The Mythology Sets have between 14 and 16 episodes each, while the Season Sets usually have between 22 and 24 episodes each (with the exception of Season Two, 25 eps, and Season Six, 20 eps). So on a "per episode cost" basis, the Season Sets are cheaper.
Old 10-28-06, 01:30 PM
Banned

I think people need to go back and re-evaluate the entire series.

I just watched the entire series plus "Millennium", "Harsh Realm" and "The Lone Gunmen" in strict airdate order over the course of a year.

The simple fact of the matter is that aside from the departure of Glen Morgan & James Wong (who then went on to do an amazing "Millennium" season) the same basic group of writers stuck with the show throughout the entire series.

Now, unless you liked only the Morgan & Wong episodes there was still plenty of great episodes from Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, Vince Gilligan and John Shiban right up until the very, very end, and some of those later episodes they wrote were among their very best work and right up there with the best episodes of the so-called "golden age" of the series.

As I see it, there were several factors such as the casting of new leads and the inevitable worn-off novelty that results in the actual duration that the show had been on the air that clouded the judgment of viewers.

People were too busy saying "OMG I hate Doggett because he's not Mulder" to give him a fair shake and realize that he was every bit as well-acted and written as Mulder was in the early seasons. I also fail to see how people can embrace spinoff shows like "Star Trek", "CSI" and "Law & Order" but just flat-out couldn't accept anyone but Mulder & Scully on "The X-Files". I mean, look at the name of the show itself, it's called "The X-Files", not "The Mulder & Scully Show".

As for the writing, I appreciate the work Morgan & Wong did on the show and their season on "Millennium" is my favorite of all the Ten Thirteen seasons but they weren't the only good writers on the show. Overall they worked on only three years on "The X-Files" (and a year and a half on "Millennium") so if you're down with the second half of Season 2 through the beginning of Season 4 of "X-Files" and anything after the midway point of Season 4 then there are plenty of great episodes by those same writers throughout the series.
Old 10-29-06, 02:15 PM

I didn't watch the show until it came to dvd and I think seasons 1-6 are all great.

The mythology was really good through season 4, then fell all apart around 5.

A lot of people say to quit watching around season 5, but I think 6 is better than 5.
There are alot of very good-to-classic episodes: Dreamland 1 & 2, Milagro, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, Tithonus, Agua Mala, Monday, and Field Trip (I liked it).

It does have the awful "the Unnatural" though.
Old 10-29-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I didn't watch the show until it came to dvd and I think seasons 1-6 are all great.

The mythology was really good through season 4, then fell all apart around 5.

A lot of people say to quit watching around season 5, but I think 6 is better than 5.
There are alot of very good-to-classic episodes: Dreamland 1 & 2, Milagro, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, Tithonus, Agua Mala, Monday, and Field Trip (I liked it).

It does have the awful "the Unnatural" though.
The "Unnatural" is generally considered to be a top notch stand alone episode. The only episode that David or Gillian directed that is really good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.