Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Runaway has escaped the CW

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-18-06, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like even moving to Sunday couldn't save this show. I thought it was pretty good; but lacked much backing especially considering what it was up against originally and on Sundays (Hey let's save this show by putting it up against Desperate Housewives and Cold Case!... Yeah because the overcrowding it was in on Monday didn't help -Heroes, 2 1/2 men, et all)

from TVguide.com

CW Stops Runaway in its TracksThe fledgling CW network has given the hook to its first show, Donnie Wahlberg and Leslie Hope's Runaway, which struggled out of the gate and even in a new Sunday time slot, only averaged 1.8 million total viewers. For the time being, says Reuters, CW will fill the Sunday 9 pm slot with repeats.
Old 10-18-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was actually really enjoying this show. Too bad.
Old 10-18-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow... their first original drama gets cancelled after only three episodes - thats really kinda sad, especially since it wasn't that bad... Looking on the bright side though, this makes it more unlikely that 'veronica mars' and/or 'one tree hill' will be cancelled midseason...

I wonder when 'Hidden Palms' will start now?
Old 10-18-06, 03:00 PM

I wonder if the CW regrest cancelling Everwood yet?
Old 10-18-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
7th Heaven is getting the same ratings that Everwood got last season. Everwood was location shooting, so it was possibly more expensive to make.

I doubt they regret it. Substituting losing efforts yields the same results.
Old 10-18-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ispep Aloc
I wonder if the CW regrest cancelling Everwood yet?
I don't know about that, but they probably regret cancelling Everwood.
Old 10-18-06, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
I don't know about that, but they probably regret cancelling Everwood.
EVERWOOD was the second most expensive show on the WB last year (next only to SMALLVILLE) so I don't believe they are regretting it... especially since they have HIDDEN PALMS waiting on shelves to air (I believe they ordered 8 episodes with an option for up to 8 additional episodes), and they have rushed three additional drama pilots into production that could potentially becomes series airing as soon as March...

This whole first month and a half of the CW is nothing short of trial-and-error for the network... and while its kinda Ironic and maybe a bad omen that their first original series got cut only 3 episodes into it's run, its not exactly surprising... but now with ample advertisments on their established series, new series could potentially be hits, especially if they mix them well with their old series (for example, putting HIDDEN PALMS on instead of reruns of ONE TREE HILL could make that series the next ONE TREE HILL (since ONE TREE HILL has one more season at best left in it)...
Old 10-18-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Berlanti had moved on, so this 5th season of Everwood would feel a bit different (kind of like what Gilmore Girl is going through without creator ASP on board this season).

Last edited by Patman; 10-18-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Berlanti had moved on, so this 5th season of Everwood would feel a bit different (kind of like what Gilmore Girl is going through without creator ASP on board this season).
Eh -- I think we had pretty much made the adjustment to Mimoun already in season 3/4. It's not like Berlanti was the sort of driving force that ASP was, either. Crossing Jordan is pretty much without Tim Kring this season -- do you think it will make a big difference? I kind of doubt it.

I personally think it is more interesting to speculate how Berlanti's current show (one of those ABC ones) and Gilmore Girls (where Mimoun landed, I think) would be if Everwood had been renewed and one or both of those people were running it.
Old 10-18-06, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I personally think it is more interesting to speculate how Berlanti's current show (one of those ABC ones) and Gilmore Girls (where Mimoun landed, I think) would be if Everwood had been renewed and one or both of those people were running it.
Thats kinda interesting to think about because personally I believe that I see alot of Mimoun in the GILMORE GIRL scripts... and BROTHERS AND SISTERS (the 'one of those ABC ones) is actually benifiting alot from Berlanti's history with family dramas...
Old 10-18-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I see a mess with GG currently, so I'm not all that impressed if Mimoun is calling some of the shots with the other exec producer.
Old 10-18-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Mimoun is supposedly just a consultant on GG.
Old 10-19-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Berlanti is doing a great job on Brothers & Sisters (ABC). I dropped it after the first episode. Picked it up again last Sunday and will continue to watch it.

The Berlanti pardigm seems to be ... All people are basically good and everyone does bad things once in awhile. I like that about his shows and it can be seen from Dawson's Creek to Everwood to Jack & Bobby to Brothers & Sisters. His stamp on a show is rather unique to television.

Last edited by Ayre; 10-19-06 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 10:30 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked the pilot but I've held off watching episodes 2 & 3. Suppose I won't even bother now. So of the four new shows I've really enjoyed (still on the fence about 30 Rock), two are already canned (Smith and Runaway) and one is on the fence (Studio 60). Only Heroes looks like it will make it to the end of the season.