Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - 10/16/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 636 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
Another problem plaguing NBC over Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is the fact in every home that has cable or satellite TV access, a large fraction of that audience is watching ESPN Monday Night Football, which is doing a number on the ratings of over-air networks in the Eastern and Central time zones. Unless NBC is willing to "eat" the circa US$3.5 million per episode cost and wait it out till after the NFL season ends for better ratings, I wouldn't be surprised that this show won't get a full season order from NBC.

Frankly, I don't see that much overlap between the football audience and Studio 60. If there wasn't football, that audience would be far more likely to watch CSI Miami.
Old 10-18-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Frankly, I don't see that much overlap between the football audience and Studio 60. If there wasn't football, that audience would be far more likely to watch CSI Miami.
I have to disagree on that! NFL football has huge ratings with almost every demographic group, and the prime time telecasts on Sunday and Monday nights are starting to cut into the ratings of the competing over-air TV networks in the same time period. In my humble opinion, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is not doinng well against that powerful demographic that wants to watch NFL football, particularly in the Eastern and Central time zones when ESPN's Monday Night Football telecasts overlap pretty much the entire over-air network prime time schedule.

Personally, Studio 60 will fare much better once the NFL season ends.

Last edited by RayChuang; 10-18-06 at 11:35 AM. Reason: clarify wording
Old 10-18-06, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watch both Monday Night Football and Studio 60. But I watch the game live and DVR Studio 60. And I would imagine there are many others just like me.
Old 10-18-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually pause Monday Night Football at 10pm and watch Studio 60 live, catching up on the game during commercial breaks. With half time, it almost works perfectly. I would imagine there is no one just like me.

das
Old 10-19-06, 02:27 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 212 Posts
This probably isn't a good sign

Studio 60 is getting sacked by Friday Night Lights. At least temporarily.

Sources confirm that NBC is handing Studio 60's Monday/10 pm time-slot over to FNL on Oct. 30 for what I'm told is a one-night experiment. But, let's face it, if FNL performs better than Studio 60 — and that bar has been set pretty darn low — we may be looking at the birth of a Monday night football franchise on NBC.

All told, this is a great vote of confidence for FNL and an ominous bit of foreshadowing for Aaron Sorkin's struggling drama.
http://community.tvguide.com/forum.j...umID=700000049
Old 10-19-06, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get that at all. You'd think the one show you don't air against football would be a show ABOUT football.

I don't think this is a vote of confidence for FNL as much as a hope that something will improve. They can't stick S60 somewhere good because post-Heroes is pretty much the only good slot NBC has and S60 already has it.
Old 10-19-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't get that at all. You'd think the one show you don't air against football would be a show ABOUT football.
Yeah, I don't understand that either.
Old 10-19-06, 07:09 AM

The album is already out; it was released last week. It's called "Songs from the Labyrinth, and has songs for the lute by King James I's favourite musician John Dowland.

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Labyrin...g/dp/B000HXDESU

It doesn't feature "Fields of Gold," the second song played.

$12.95 with free shipping at CD-WOW:
http://www.cd-wow.us/detail_results...uct_code=380139
If anyone's interested in the new Fields of Gold it's available at Itunes either as part of the "special edition" of the Songs from the Labyrinth album or as an individual download.
Old 10-19-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Begin the deathwatch - Studio 60 is getting bumped in two weeks for Friday Night Lights.
Old 10-19-06, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Meatpants
Begin the deathwatch - Studio 60 is getting bumped in two weeks for Friday Night Lights.
And given NBC's announcement today that they are consolidating MSNBC's operations into the New York City (Manhattan) studios, I think the writing is on the wall that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip won't last after the original 13-episode order, given NBC's cost-cutting moves.
Old 10-19-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

I have to disagree on that! NFL football has huge ratings with almost every demographic group, and the prime time telecasts on Sunday and Monday nights are starting to cut into the ratings of the competing over-air TV networks in the same time period. In my humble opinion, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is not doinng well against that powerful demographic that wants to watch NFL football, particularly in the Eastern and Central time zones when ESPN's Monday Night Football telecasts overlap pretty much the entire over-air network prime time schedule.

Personally, Studio 60 will fare much better once the NFL season ends.

I think you're being quite myopic in believing the that MNF audience would be more likely to watch S60 than CSI: Miami. S60 should pick up more viewers once MNF ends (if it survives that long), but CSI: Miami will pick up far more.

Keep in mind that I didn't say that is no overlap in audience. Hell, I watch both S60 and MNF. I just don't think it is that sizeable.

To be honest, I don't think there is a good place for S60 on the NBC schedule where you would see much improvement. It doesn't feel like an 8 pm show. That really limits what you can do with it.
Old 10-19-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
And given NBC's announcement today that they are consolidating MSNBC's operations into the New York City (Manhattan) studios, I think the writing is on the wall that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip won't last after the original 13-episode order, given NBC's cost-cutting moves.
This is too bad. I watched the episode last night, and I thought it *finally* found it's voice. The proper mix of politics and comedy and the acting was really good. It was the best of the series so far. I'll continue to watch it up until the eventual cancellation.

I can't help but wonder if this show might have benefitted from waiting a year to air. It's so similar to the West Wing (down to the opening title graphic) that it might have been better to have a cooling off period.

So, can someone please clarify for me - is S60 NOT airing in two weeks, or is it going to air in FNL's spot on Tuesday?
Old 10-19-06, 11:02 AM

I think you're being quite myopic in believing the that MNF audience would be more likely to watch S60 than CSI: Miami. S60 should pick up more viewers once MNF ends (if it survives that long), but CSI: Miami will pick up far more.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

You're forgetting that NFL football draws sizeable ratings from both male and female 18-49 viewer demographics, and the only reason why ESPN's Monday Night Football ratings aren't higher is the fact ESPN is only available on cable or satellite TV. The NFL isn't America's #1 professional sport for nothing....

I believe that if NBC can figure out a way to move Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip to a more friendly time slot (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday at 10 pm ET/9 pm CT), then I believe the show will start to pick up a good viewer demographic and justify NBC's US$3 million per episode production cost.
Old 10-19-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

I believe that if NBC can figure out a way to move Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip to a more friendly time slot (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday at 10 pm ET/9 pm CT), then I believe the show will start to pick up a good viewer demographic and justify NBC's US$3 million per episode production cost.

There is no way NBC would move it to Tuesday's at 10. SVU wins that timeslot easily. They are not going to screw with that.

Wednesday at 10? I think against CSI: NY and The Nine, it wouldn't improve at all.

The NFL has a wide demographic, but it also has a heavy carbon blob audience. That kind of audience wouldn't watch S60. It will watch CSI Miami - and there are far more carbon blobs than the types who would enjoy S60.
Old 10-19-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Holly Martins
If anyone's interested in the new Fields of Gold it's available at Itunes either as part of the "special edition" of the Songs from the Labyrinth album or as an individual download.
I find it interesting that amongst all the griping and bitching in this thread, no one mentioned the timeliness of having Sting as the guest musician on the show - LITERALLY the week after the "Songs From The Labyrinth" album was released. That's how it would work on SNL for musicians. That someone had the forethought to include him in the episode that would air just at that point in time deserves some sort of acknowledgement!

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Studio 60 attracts the educated and rich viewers (household incomes of $100,000 and up) that Madison Avenue craves. Advertisers love affluent viewers who are willing to empty their wallets after watching a bunch of commercials.
Yeah sure, I'll be empyting my wallet... any household pulling in $100K+ undoubtedly has a DVR of some sort and is skipping THROUGH all those commercials.

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-19-06 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 12:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monday Night Football aside, Friday Night Lights probably matches up with Heroes a bit better than Studio 60.

Another thing of note:
The first hour of "Dancing with the Stars" drew a 13.0/20 for ABC at 8 p.m. "NCIS" was a strong second for CBS at 9.8/15. FOX's coverage of the National League Championship Series was third for the hour. NBC's "Friday Night Lights," 4.2/6, improved a little from last week, while "Gilmore Girls" delivered a 3.1/5 for The CW.
So FNL is showing small signs of improvement and building an audience, while S60 is bleeding viewers every week. I suppose I understand this from an 'experiment' point of view. Both shows are already tanking, so there's really not a whole lot to lose.
Old 10-19-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

As I said in the other thread, I think airing FNL against MNF is sheer lunacy.
Old 10-19-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Studio 60 would be perfect Thursday nights @ 9:00. Right between The Office and ER. Put Matthew Perry back in his old slot.
Old 10-19-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mittman
I think Studio 60 would be perfect Thursday nights @ 9:00. Right between The Office and ER. Put Matthew Perry back in his old slot.
I think NBC was purposely trying to remove Perry from Thursday nights so to distance him from Chandler's character (which, unfortunately, he'll never escape).
Old 10-19-06, 03:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Holly Martins
What's next? 'Every Breath You Take' with a tuba?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ........
Old 10-19-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think NBC was purposely trying to remove Perry from Thursday nights so to distance him from Chandler's character (which, unfortunately, he'll never escape).
I would have to disagree. I think he left behind Chandler in the second episode when he verbally dressed down Harriet for yelling at him in front of the writing staff.
Old 10-19-06, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mittman
That was Studio 60's original timeslot when its main competition would have been CSI. When ABC put Grey's Anatomy there as well, NBC moved it.
Old 10-19-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 461 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by cerulean
That was Studio 60's original timeslot when its main competition would have been CSI. When ABC put Grey's Anatomy there as well, NBC moved it.
Wait.
People still watch shows during the times they air?
What is this, the '80s?
Old 10-19-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Wait.
People still watch shows during the times they air?
What is this, the '80s?
How many DVRs do you think there are in this country as of now? Remember, this forum's membership is not a representative cross sample of the nation (as much as I'd love it to be -- shows we like would actually live if that were the case).
Old 10-19-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 461 Likes on 320 Posts
hmph.

I was being sort of tounge-in-cheek, but most everyone I know has a DVR - and most of them are pretty good representations of the rest of the country (from my retired parents to friends that are teachers, doctors, lawyers, social workers, etc.), albiet at a higher income level than average American, they are still the average American.

Even still, back before DVRs, when there were two shows on at the same time, I would just tape one - I don't think there is one household that doesn't have either a DVR or a VCR.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.