Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comcast DVR

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comcast DVR

I'm sorry if this is a redundant thread, I don't have time to do a search....

I just got this thing (totally used to TiVo) and I can't figure out how to flag a show for season pass! I've got about 10 minutes to figure out how to do this before this show is out of the memory!

Any help greatly appreciated! Perhaps a site that gives a decent how to?!?
Old 10-08-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Find the program you want to record, then click on the record button via the info window. At the bottom of that, you can "Create a series recording," then you can set your preferences from there.
Old 10-08-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, brilliant me, I decided to hit "last" to see if I could find Family Guy while maintaining this other program. I hit last, I hit last again, and the program has been dumped from memory. I do have a bit of it recorded in the memory, is there a way to set the "season pass" from the playback?

What a pain in the ass man...is there no way to just look stuff up by the name of the program? Do I really have to wait until it's on and then hit record and flag it from there?!?
Old 10-08-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Why don't you flag in through your viewers guide?
Old 10-08-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you have the Motorola DVR or the Scientific Atlanta DVR?
Old 10-08-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the Motorola one...

Flag in through the viewer's guide? What's that mean?

I sure wish I could have had DirecTV, but the wiring they needed to do would have been outrageous with either lots of wires being visible, or paying for a custom job....ie...paying out the ASS so that the wires would be hidden.
Old 10-08-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't have a viewers programming guide? On my DVR, I can go to the guide and select the shows to be recorded ahead of time through that. It has programming a week in advance.
Old 10-10-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ohhhhhh....ok, THAT page...I thought it was something else. I dunno, I'm all flustered from the switch, from this move the whole shebang. I've started to get my regular programs in for "series recording" or whatever they're calling it.

Are you able to search for a program by name? For example, if you know it starts with "Little" or some other word, but can't remember the rest, is there some sort of keyword search? Or am I stepping out of the range of this unit?

Thankfully I've found the booklet about it, so I'm going to staple it to my arm so I don't lose it. (c:

EDIT: Hell, I'm so jostled right now I couldn't even find this thread. I even searched for my name, and it brought up old ass posts. Then I did a comcast search and there it were. Was. Is. Whatever. Skip it.

laff...
Old 10-10-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, you can search by name, under the menu bar, there should be a magnifying glass. Click on that, and then you can search for movies, sports, etc, as well as Show Titles A-Z. But you sound like you need to take a deep breath first.
Old 10-10-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yes, you can search by name, under the menu bar, there should be a magnifying glass. Click on that, and then you can search for movies, sports, etc, as well as Show Titles A-Z. But you sound like you need to take a deep breath first.
And also keep in mind that the search by name feature is klunky as hell. I usually find it's quicker to just bring up shows via the guide.
Old 10-10-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
remember when setting series recordings to set it to start 4 or 5 minutes before the show starts and end 4 or 5 minutes after it's over. I can't tell you how many times the show started early or ran long and I missed some.

I think I need a new DVR. The fan on mine is loud as hell.
Old 10-10-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^^ But if you do that and are the type who records a lot, you might create scheduling conflicts and not be able to record all your shows.
Old 10-10-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
New episodes of South Park seems to be the only show that I need to buffer a minute or two on the beginning or end. Also, Doctor Who and BSG.

As for searching, I often find it easier to ask somebody here what channel and when, then just use the viewer guide to find it and create the series recording from there.

Also, there's an option for delete priority, either when space is low, or "I delete". I've lost more than a few good eps and movies because of that, so be careful.
Old 10-10-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
^^^ But if you do that and are the type who records a lot, you might create scheduling conflicts and not be able to record all your shows.
True. I thought of that but the only shows I have a scheduling conflict with are My Name is Earl and The Office so I don't miss anything since they are back to back on the same network; but now that I think about it, if I had two shows on different networks it could create a problem. I've just never had to deal with that.
Old 10-10-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, in the last few hours I've managed to get a good deep breath or two in. As I think I said in a previous post, I've managed to start flagging some of my various programs for season passes, so I'm feeling much better.

I went like a month without a DVR (and with 3 scheduled installation times with DirecTV) and it's been hateful after having a DVR for a few years. To have to do that eat between commercials or sprint down to transfer laundry etc. is for the friggin' birds.

Also, having been a TiVo person for some time, I'm also aware of the various problems suggested (cutting short on time, shows getting deleted due to space needed etc.). Thanks for the help...I'm in the midst of watching Turk 182 so I'll test out the menu bar search thingy.

As long as I can pause and set up season passes, that's the key. Everything else is a bonus.
Old 10-10-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When are the Comcast Tivos supposed to start coming out? I have DirecTivos and that would be the only thing to get me to go back to Comcast. I love my dual-tuner Tivos and I don't trust these generic boxes (like DirecTV's new units coming out).
Old 10-11-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
When are the Comcast Tivos supposed to start coming out? I have DirecTivos and that would be the only thing to get me to go back to Comcast. I love my dual-tuner Tivos and I don't trust these generic boxes (like DirecTV's new units coming out).
Hopefully very soon. I cannot take this POS Comcast box anymore.