Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which new show will be the first to get cancelled? (Fall 2006 edition)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Which new show will be the first to get cancelled? (Fall 2006 edition)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Friday Night Lights - I have no idea how this would work as a television series. You can't have the team go from "underdog" to winning the "big game" every week.

I'm wondering how they're going to keep me interested in football in March.
Most HS teams are done w/ Football by Thanksgiving or soon after.
I'm a huge fan of Kyle Chandler's and I really want this one to work... but I don't know.
I've seen the pilot and if it weren't for KC I probably wouldn't watch it again. I really hope they do enough to keep our interest.
Old 08-28-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm going with:

1)Vanished - since it got a head start
2)Justice - for offering nothing new
3)Standoff - dumb idea for a series

and just about every new ABC comedy

Last edited by mike7162; 08-30-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, I would've watched Ugly Betty on Friday's, but now there's no way I can fit it in in that murderous timeslot. Up against Smallville, Survivor, Earl/Office (and the OC?)? Yikes.
Old 08-28-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike7162
I going with:

1)Vanished - since it got a head start
2)Justice - for offering nothing new
3)Standoff - dumb idea for a series
I agree with this. Fox starts their season so early and they are usually pretty quick to pull the trigger on a show after a few airings. I am sure at least one of these will be gone by the time baseball starts.

I would also say Runaway on the CW but they don't have much else lined waiting in the wings to replace it until January at least.
Old 08-28-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Give me UGLY BETTY. I'm openly rooting for it to take the Coupling path.
Old 08-28-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
Yup, I would've watched Ugly Betty on Friday's, but now there's no way I can fit it in in that murderous timeslot. Up against Smallville, Survivor, Earl/Office (and the OC?)? Yikes.
It's pretty good for counter-programming to women, though. Plus Ugly Betty will be on right before Grey's Anatomy so perhaps some of that audience will tune in early and catch it.

I will have all my dual-tuner Tivo's working full speed that night, though.
Old 08-28-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully, all of them.
Old 08-28-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It might not be the first to get cancelled, and I really like John Lithgow, but the previews for 20 Good Years look HORRIBLE.

Of the shows I've seen previews/trailers for, The Nine looks to be the best of the lot.
I agree but look at all the people who like shows like 2 and a half men and According to Jim.
Old 08-29-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
20 GOOD YEARS, but since there are other shows that start before it, it mightn't be the first just because of timing. There will be no way it will last the season.
I agree and I thought it was a strange show for NBC to pick this show up though Lithgow was great on 3rd Rock. This show is about two middle-aged friends who want to live life to the fullest. I don't know if that is the demographics NBC hopes to attract. If the ratings aren't there, the demos won't save it as I think it will definitely skew older.
Old 08-29-06, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I haven't even heard of half of these. I'm going to have to go read some descriptions before I make my vote. But right now 20 Good Years is a strong contender, for the exact reasons chowderhead listed.

As for Friday Night Lights, I think it looks interesting. The focus could really be about the school, and students and the football is just something to move the show along. It will probably be close to real time, each week giving way to one game of the year. Not sure how it would last to May or even a second season though.
Old 08-29-06, 08:31 AM

I disagree with everyone on Justice - I think it's going to end up being a surprise hit. People love the L&O type shows but are somewhat bored with the formula. This gives that formula a bit of a jolt, and adds in some of what made "Runaway Jury" a fun read.

Plus you get to see Jack Bristow crack some skulls. What, no? No cracking skulls for Jack in Justice?
Old 08-29-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ugly betty is getting rave reviews so i think if anything it might fall the arrested development fate... especially on thursday night time slot
Old 08-29-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by chowderhead
I agree and I thought it was a strange show for NBC to pick this show up though Lithgow was great on 3rd Rock. This show is about two middle-aged friends who want to live life to the fullest. I don't know if that is the demographics NBC hopes to attract. If the ratings aren't there, the demos won't save it as I think it will definitely skew older.
Might be partly to keep Tom Werner happy, for future consideration. Any show can tank, so all other things being equal, I can see going with the guy with the track record who's capable of cranking out another Cosby Show/Roseanne at any time

FWIW, Werner's dream casting was Lithgow and Danny Divito.......
Old 08-29-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Hopefully, all of them.
Have to agree.

Not a single thing I've heard about any of these shows makes me the least bit interested in watching any of them.
Old 08-29-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As for Friday Night Lights, I think it looks interesting. The focus could really be about the school, and students and the football is just something to move the show along. It will probably be close to real time, each week giving way to one game of the year. Not sure how it would last to May or even a second season though.
This is what I was thinking. It will be more of a teen soap opera like Dawson's Creek or The OC with enough football thrown in to justify using the name.

I think 20 Good Years will be the first to go.
Old 08-29-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we can guarantee that if there is a show that Internet posters all think is the greatest thing since sliced bread, that is the one that will be cancelled. There will be moaning and whining how the channel should die and how 'Joe 6-pack' didn't get it and everyone except internet posters are retards.

This cancelled show will be added to the list of cancelled shows that will be moaned about for years to come. Examples brought up often are: Greg the Bunny, Andy Richter (sp?), Freaks and Geeks, Firefly, Sports Night etc.

We've seen this happen before and we know it will happen again.
Old 08-29-06, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
I doubt that both of the two NBC "behind the scenes of a comedy" shows (30 Rock and Studio 60) will survive. I have no idea which one will go, though.
I don't know...they seem to be pretty different and both seem to be receiving good reviews, so I don't really agree. I think they have a better chance of survival than other shows that are premiering.
Old 08-29-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that an addendum should be added to ask which show will air the least amount of episodes. Certain Fox shows will be a few episodes in by the time other networks will be rolling out initial episodes for their new shows.
Old 08-29-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I think a better question might be which one will make it to Christmas.

It's gonna be a bloodbath this fall.
Old 08-29-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Friday Night Lights - I have no idea how this would work as a television series. You can't have the team go from "underdog" to winning the "big game" every week.

I am not sure but they were filming part of down the street on Sunday. Kind of strange seeing the fake school name on the school bus.
Old 08-29-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
my top three "doomed" shows are:
Ghost Whisperer (CBS)
Inconceivable (NBC)
Bones (Fox)

[snip my reasons]
All that, on fox equals Bones being the first show canned!!

Of course as always I will mentioned I was 100% sure Titanic would FLOP, huge..
ok that was last year.. I got Inconceivable right but Bones went on to be a hit (and I really like the show) and Ghost Whisperer was like a huge hit for CBS for it's time slot.. Oh @#$% my stupid -Titanic will flop huge- curse!!

but this time, oh this season I'm sure it's going to be Justice.. Looks dull, yet another court room show and it's on FOX, a sure fire "Kill this show" network..

I also think Vanished is doom but it will run more eps the Justice being it's got a head start.. Six Degrees also looks brutaly bad for ABC and will be canned..

and of course, as I said last year, I was 100% sure Titanic would FLOP huge..
Old 08-30-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadLamb
Six Degrees also looks brutaly bad for ABC and will be canned..
Actually, I'm looking forward to this show. I haven't seen the pilot but the reviews have been good so far.

I'm going with Runaway (CW), Justice and Vanished.
Old 08-30-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Justice has gotten some very good reviews. It's biggest problem will be its timeslot competition.
Old 09-18-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DeathWatch Fall '06: Pick the show which will be cancelled first this season

http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/deathwatch/

How the game works:
Login each week to place your bets on which show will be cancelled!

Current top 5:

Happy Hour FOX 3:1
Men in Trees ABC 4:1
Ugly Betty ABC 10:1
The Knights of Prosperity ABC 14:1
Help Me Help You ABC 25:1
Old 10-12-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So far it's what.. Smith and Kidnapped? any others??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.