Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

V Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V Question

THe last time I saw this movie or miniseries was when i was just a kid.

I was wanting to know the correct order to watch this series since I have it in my blockbuster queue

is it:

V(1983) (miniseries)
V the Final Battle
V: The Complete Series(2004)

Last edited by enrage; 08-25-06 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
yeah
Old 08-25-06, 11:48 AM

Thanks
Old 08-25-06, 11:54 AM

That is correct.
Old 08-25-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, the correct order is

V (1983 miniseries)
V: The Final Battle

The V TV series is really, really not worth watching.
Old 08-25-06, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls

V (1983 miniseries)

My issue is that it negates everything the humans achieved in The Final Battle
Old 08-25-06, 12:19 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V (1983 miniseries)

Agreed 100%. Stick with the miniseries offerings, drop the TV show.
Old 08-25-06, 12:21 PM

V (1983 miniseries)

Kenneth Johnson (the series' creator) would take it a step further and tell you that only the original min-series was worth watching...

I feel there is something to like in all three incarnations, and likewise, I see flaws in all of them (yes, even the original).

I wish WB would give us a special edition someday, pehaps with the original 4:3 presentation restored on the two mini-series (if they wanted to keep 16x9 as an option, wouldn't bother me). Some behind-the-scenes footage, bloopers, outtakes (what exists) would be nice, as would an alternate edit of V: part one, with Dominique Dunne's portrayal of Robin restored (just so we could see what it would've been like), and maybe even a mini-documentary/retrospecitve on her death.
Old 08-25-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Sure it is. It's a riot. Outrageously awful, mind you, but unintentionally hilarious. The Diana/Charles wedding episode has to be seen to be believed.

My favorite dialogue exchange from the show:

"I've never been defeated in mortal combat."
"Idiot! If you had, you'd be dead!"
Old 08-25-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Some behind-the-scenes footage, bloopers, outtakes (what exists) would be nice, as would an alternate edit of V: part one, with Dominique Dunne's portrayal of Robin restored (just so we could see what it would've been like),
Presenting the footage as deleted scenes is much more likely than an alternate edit of the entire miniseries. How much did she shoot, anyway?
Old 08-26-06, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't listen to them, V The Series is great fun. too bad it didn't go another season, it was really starting to get interesting in the last few episodes.
Old 08-26-06, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this is really more about the series and not the DVDs specifically it really belongs in the TV forum...
Old 08-26-06, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I kind of like the first half of the show, then it really goes downhill in quality and a lot of the main actors leave the show, and it starts to suck.

And it also ends with a cliffhanger that is never resolved, because the show was cancelled. So I would also say that you are better off watching the 2 miniseries and stopping there.
Old 08-26-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Good thing they never resolved the cliffhanger, because the episode in which they did would have killed off Julie, about the only remaining character that was interesting.
Old 08-26-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just so everyone knows V: The Second Generation is rapping up filiming now. It will be out in early 2007.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0366112/
Old 08-26-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKobra
Just so everyone knows V: The Second Generation is rapping up filiming now. It will be out in early 2007.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0366112/

That's news to me. From the Kenneth Johnson website, only the screenplay is done - and the novel based on it is due out in early 2007.

http://www.kennethjohnson.us/V-News.html
Old 08-30-06, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Presenting the footage as deleted scenes is much more likely than an alternate edit of the entire miniseries.
Yes, more likley (even though neither option is too likely unless Johnson himself were involved with such a project). I was just stating something that I thought would be a nice alternative. One could compare/contrast the two Robins. Who knows if WB still has any unused footage. Even if they don't, Johnson may have some (or all) of the stuff in his personal archive, but would WB even be interested? If a special edition ever happened, I think it would also be nice to restore the original aspect ratio. Although Johnson says he filmed it with an overseas theatrical release also in mind, there' s no denying that the TV ratio is the original one, and is the only one that was actually used (apart from the DVD release). Even with his excuse, there is no legitimate excuse for The Final Battle being presented in matted widescreen, as Johnson divorced himself from that project quite early on!

Originally Posted by Josh Z
How much did she shoot, anyway?
If I remember correctly, she completed all of the first half of the original mini-series and the day she was strangled, she and David Packer were rehearsing their lines for part two. I believe filming was underway on part two but obviously not finished, which obviously made it necessary to recast.

One shot of Dunne actually remains in the finished piece. It's one of those outside shots when the ships first appear in the atmosphere. It's near the beginning and is the rear-view shot of Robin and her family watching the ship approach. When it switches to front-view, it's Blair Tefkin, naturally.
Old 08-31-06, 09:55 AM

Further to my posts about possibilities for extras for a "special" edition, including the Dominique Dunne footage, I asked the man himself, Ken Johnson, about what does/doesn't exist:

"There is a blooper reel, but Warners could not get clearances from enough actors. Warners does not have the "trims" of Dominique and any other takes that were not used in the film. There were no deleted scenes."

Also, it would appear that what I'd heard about how much of Dunne's footage was actually shot isn't right. Johnson said that she was killed four weeks into filming, so she might not have even finished part one, let alone started on part two. Still, it would have been interesting to see this lost footage.

So, it would appear that, apart from giving us the original 4:3 presentation, there's not really much else WB could add in the way of vintage extras (TV spots/trailers/scenes, I guess) that would justify a rerelease in most people's eyes, though a 4:3 presentation would be enough for me.