Rescue Me - "Hell" - 8/22/06

Old 08-22-06, 08:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rescue Me - "Hell" - 8/22/06

"Hell"
Spoiler:
Another Gavin tragedy brings Tommy and Janet together; Jerry fails to show up for work; Mike looks for advice about his sexuality; and Maggie has a wedding surprise for Sean.
Old 08-22-06, 11:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I've ever felt as bad about laughing during an episode of television as I did tonight. Sean's "Jesus, who died?" had me

I was hoping for an Irish wake like they had on The Wire
Old 08-22-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very meh episode for me.
Old 08-23-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The deaf sister sorta came out of nowhere.

Has there been a show where characters have gone through as much contrived tragedy as this one?

Did he leave that message after the fact just to fool Janet? If so, wouldn't there have been the day and time that he left the message, which would give him away?
Old 08-23-06, 12:21 AM

Nice cameo by Bill Belichick at the wake....
Old 08-23-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that was Bellichick, but wasn't sure. Funny lacrosse line from him.

Pretty good episode featuring some zany twists and turns. Johnny's funeral turned into something nutty, but it's how it had to be. Glad to see Jerry made it. Natalie gives Franco a timeout after seeing how much she resembles Kayla.

Next week: season finale!
Old 08-23-06, 02:13 AM
Banned

So the once-mentioned-in-passing sister can make it for the funeral, but Timo has vanished from the face of the earth?

Since the show's coming back next year, it's obvious Tommy won't quit the department. Hopefully it'll take him more than one episode to deal with his choice.
Old 08-23-06, 08:13 AM
Suspended

Man, that episode was brutally sad. His dad's reaction, the answering machine messages, Tommy at the coffin, the first part of the funeral with all of Tommy's ghosts making appearances... just brutal.

I felt guilty for laughing in places too. But that's the genius of this show.
Old 08-23-06, 08:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Gavity!"
Old 08-23-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Leu wants to sit down with a box of donuts and watch Frankenstein, but that inevitably leads into a jerking-off session" (or something like that, i was laughing to hard to remember)
Old 08-23-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Did he leave that message after the fact just to fool Janet? If so, wouldn't there have been the day and time that he left the message, which would give him away?
That's exactly what I was wondering. It was pretty over-the-top, and he also was sure to play it on speaker for Janet to hear. Maybe he chooses her over Sheila, then Janet dumps Tommy over the fake message (or something else) and he's left with neither of them...

I thought the beginning was excellent, and the brother opening his eyes in the casket made me jump. GREAT stuff...

P.S. Probie and the priest were just talking.
Old 08-23-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very good episode, the part when he told his dad had me a bit choked up.

I know it wont happen, but I'd really like Tommy to stay with Sheila, but I'm sure he'll just screw her over for Janet.
Old 08-23-06, 01:12 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Janet's HOT. I would dump Sheila in a heartbeat for Janet.
Old 08-23-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're both pretty damn hot for older women, imo. Sheila is just a wee bit more psychotic, though.
Old 08-23-06, 01:48 PM

What an intense episode. Talk about an emotional roller coaster. They did great job of showing Tommy struggling with the loss. The answering machine messages at his apartment were intense. Seeing his son,cousin, Stacks and others at cemetary was intense. The last 5 minutes had me laughing so hard I was almost in tears. The bit with the guy at the cemetary complaining people were standing on his mother's grave and Maggie asking everyone to move to the right was priceless. I really do think this is one of the better shows on TV.

Put me in the Janet over Sheila camp, although Sheila has her moments. Janet is smoking hot though.
Old 08-23-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The deaf sister sorta came out of nowhere.

I could have sworn we saw Tommy make that call in an earlier episode -- though we may not have heard most of it. In any case, I absolutely do not believe he did it afterward to fool Janet. I don't believe that Tommy, while unbelievably composed under the circumstances, would even be thinking of anything like that.

I thought this episode had some terrific uses of no-dialogue -- the opening montage, and the silence with which Tommy and Kenny moved around the kitchen while listening to the phone messages.

Janet or no Janet, Tommy is a fool if he stays involved with psycho Sheila.
Old 08-23-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sheila vs. Janet

- Security - Sheila's got lots of money, Janet aint got shit. Advantage: Sheila
- Mental state - Sheila's pretty crazy, but Janet's an unpredictable bitch that turns on a dime. a draw
- Looks - they're both pretty hot, and even though I had a bit of a crush on Calle Thorne since she was on Homicide, Andrea Roth is a much hotter - if she was a little younger and cleaned up, she'd be a super model. Advantage Janet
- History - they both know Tommy really well, but Janet is the mother of his children. Advantage Janet.

Last edited by slop101; 08-23-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 04:48 PM

I'll admit it ... that opening montage nearly had me in tears. What was the name of the song playing over it? Seriously intense.

That ending came out of nowhere ... wow! I kept saying "Janet don't walk in, Janet don't walk in, Janet don't walk in" even as it faded to black.

I'm also not of the belief that Tommy made the call to Johnny AFTER the fact. He didn't seem composed enough or really thinking far enough ahead to do that.

Can't wait for the finale -- I'm just upset we'll have to wait until next June for more Rescue Me (probably).

Remember when Tommy's deaf sister gave him the speech about happiness and sex or whatever? I wonder if that's when he madeh is decision to leave the FDNY.

But all we heard him say was that he's leaving ... he didn't follow it up with "... and move to Florida!" Granted, he didn't have time to say that, but I think he had more to say than what he could fit in before Sheila pounced on him.

Oh yeah ... re: Janet vs. Sheila ... in a perfect world, Tommy would dump both of them and wash his hands of the situation, which will end horribly either way. But since he lives in a far from perfect world, I'm thinking he'll remember his family and stay with Janet. Remember when he told Johnny that he loves Janet in the cell phone message? He's never said the same thing to Sheila, much less actually kiss her (save for last two seconds).

Last edited by wastro; 08-23-06 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sheila vs. Janet

- Security - Sheila's got lots of money, Janet aint got shit. Advantage: Sheila
- Mental state - Sheila's pretty crazy, but Janet's an unpredictable bitch that turns on a dime. a draw
- Looks - they're both pretty hot, and even though I had a bit of a crush on Calle Thorne since she was on Homicide, Andrea Roth is a much hotter - if she was a little younger and cleaned up, she'd be a super model. Advantage Janet
- History - they both know Tommy really well, but Janet is the mother of his children. Advantage Janet.

I agree with you on all but looks. I think Calle is much hotter - also a fan since Homicide.
Old 08-24-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Theyre both crazy. But Janet is crazy because she hates Tommy. Sheila is crazy because she loves Tommy.

D
Old 08-24-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Marissa Tomei should've been at her ex's funeral
Old 08-24-06, 12:41 PM

Guesswho said "Marissa Tomei should've been at her ex's funeral"

Good catch, I agree.

Thos.
Old 08-24-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Marissa Tomei should've been at her ex's funeral
I had the same thought as I was watching it.
Old 08-24-06, 03:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Chew
Marissa Tomei should've been at her ex's funeral.
she wanted too much money from the producers.

Last edited by vegasbaby; 08-25-06 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why was everyone calling Tommy and Lou's home phone number. Everyone calls Tommy on his cell phone. That just made the scene forced to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.