Old 08-22-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I have two words as to why I'll keep watching: Noxema Girl
Old 08-22-06, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I have two words as to why I'll keep watching: Noxema Girl
I love Rebecca Gayheart probably more than anyone else here. Really the only reason I tuned in. But even she couldn't save it for me. Just a horrible horrible show. Some of the most awkward dialog I have heard in a long time.
Old 08-23-06, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Was it ? I must have missed it, what was the explanation?.
yeah I missed that also, maybe when I was out of the room for a min or whatever? Being I too thought "Get the switch, get the... where are you going?....." booooom

as for the show over all, not that bad.. It's "unknown" to everyone unlike say -24- so they have to lay out a bunch of story lines to get the show rolling. Sure, it was a little chunky how they did it but over all not that bad in light of the fact that we have no idea who anyone is or their backstory.

hey, nothing else really new on so if one has it on dvr, ya might as well watch it. Even if I have this sneaky feeling fox will run the show for 8 eps or so, get me hooked and then *poof* gone/canceled.

IMO, way too many shows this season are breaking out the one long running story time line like 24/prison break use. Great if you like the show and it runs a whole season. Really lame if they cancel mid season and leave one with about 12+ story lines up in the air.
Old 08-23-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically, I only really notice the quality of acting when it's in the extremes. Really good or really bad. This one fell to the latter.

That said, I still keep watching for a while.
Old 08-23-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
Was it ? I must have missed it, what was the explanation?
The main FBI character explained that he had no control over the decision making for the child hostage scene.
Old 08-23-06, 08:34 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
I decided to watch it and I was entertained enough to tune in again next week. Pretty cool about the streaming online options as well.
Old 08-23-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched it last night and, while my wife loved it, I was only mildly interested in it. I was thrown off by the "magic computer" sequences which seemed even more brazenly stupid than what TV producers have been throwing at us lately.

Dear TV execs,

It's 2006. Most of us have used computers by now.

Please stop.

Sincerely,
The Viewing Public
Old 08-23-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The main FBI character explained that he had no control over the decision making for the child hostage scene.
I believe that was meant in terms of the sniper in the woods who shot the kidnapper. I don't think anyone told him, "When we shoot him in the head and he drops the trigger, you run towards the bomb and get covered in blood. While screaming."
Old 08-23-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fanboy
I believe that was meant in terms of the sniper in the woods who shot the kidnapper. I don't think anyone told him, "When we shoot him in the head and he drops the trigger, you run towards the bomb and get covered in blood. While screaming."
It's human instinct to want to run to a child and help them. I don't understand the confusion. What good would running to the bomber with the switch do?
Old 08-23-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I feel similarly to many of you. I'll still keep watching a few weeks to see how it develops. It's got a lot of potential - but I couldn't shake the feeling of the producers "trying too hard" to get a storyline/characters established. Also, it was just a little too glitzy with all the special effects going on. Big Gale Harold fan - he's really good in this role. Not a big fan of Mimi Leder (director of pilot, exec producer) as her track record isn't all that solid. Check out these stumbles from IMDB:

"Vanished" (2006) TV Series (executive producer)
"Jonny Zero" (2005) TV Series (executive producer) (2004)
Baltic Storm (2003) (executive producer)
"John Doe" (executive producer)
- Pilot (2002) TV Episode (executive producer)
"The Beast" (2001) TV Series (executive producer)
Old 08-23-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's human instinct to want to run to a child and help them. I don't understand the confusion. What good would running to the bomber with the switch do?
It's a dead-man's switch (i.e. bomb goes off if he releases the switch). If he gets to him in time, he can press the switch so the bomb won't go off.
Old 08-23-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flave
It's a dead-man's switch (i.e. bomb goes off if he releases the switch). If he gets to him in time, he can press the switch so the bomb won't go off.
How do you know how that particular switch was configured?
Old 08-23-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you know how that particular switch was configured?
They show you very clearly that the kidnapper's thumb releases the switch just before the bomb goes off. Watch the scene again if you have it on your PVR.

Also, any FBI agent worth his money would/should have assumed it was a dead-man's switch.
Old 08-23-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They show you very clearly that the kidnapper's thumb releases the switch just before the bomb goes off. Watch the scene again if you have it on your PVR.
Uh, yeah, I saw that very clearly. That doesn't mean that if he would have gotten to the switch and pushed it, the bomb still would not have gone off. It could have been configured to go off once it was released, regardless of whether or not it was pushed again. You are assuming that pushing the trigger again would have kept the bomb from going off, and there was nothing that indicated that was the case.
Old 08-23-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^^

No. It would taken time for the dead body to release the switch. If he had run to the kidnapper, he might have gotten there in time to prevent the thumb pressure from being released. I agree that once the pressure was released, it was indeed too late.
Old 08-23-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^

No. It would taken time before the dead body to release the switch. If he had run to the kidnapper, he might have gotten there in time to prevent the thumb pressure from being released. I agree that once the pressure was released, it was indeed too late.
That is a large assumption, that he would have had been able to get to the shot guy in time. It takes a fraction of a second to release a thumb but at least a couple of seconds to get to him.

Besides, him not getting to the trigger is built into his character on the show and gives him another layer that will probably factor into the current situation. I think it pretty obviously showed that he was upset over not being able to save the kid, whether it was his slow reaction or otherwise, and will likely lead him to do something "against orders" this time around.
Old 08-23-06, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was OK. Definitely some head-scratching moments - good and bad. I didn't particularly have a problem with the lead FBI guy like most of you, but I won't be able to put up with that reporter bitch for long.

I'm getting a bit of a "Davinci Code" vibe?
Old 08-24-06, 06:00 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Has a pilot episode ever thrown up as many questions as this one ?

Im tempted to just keep the episodes and not watch anymore until we know if it will get cancelled or not

Overall not a bad show but nothing groundbreaking
Old 08-24-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got about 40 minutes into it and stopped it. The acting was quite bad and I was thinking, "damn this is going to be like Prison Break" - three episodes worth of meat stretched over a whole season (I stopped watching Prison Break half way into the first season). Too many other options these days to settle for this one (for me anyway).
Old 08-26-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
That is a large assumption, that he would have had been able to get to the shot guy in time. It takes a fraction of a second to release a thumb but at least a couple of seconds to get to him.

Besides, him not getting to the trigger is built into his character on the show and gives him another layer that will probably factor into the current situation. I think it pretty obviously showed that he was upset over not being able to save the kid, whether it was his slow reaction or otherwise, and will likely lead him to do something "against orders" this time around.
The question the people here have is not whether he would have gotten to the switch in time. That is unknown, but what we do know is that running towards the child who is much farther away was extremely pointless, and he should have spent the time trying to keep the dead guy's finger on the trigger, and not trying to get himself blown up as well.
Old 08-26-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by saoirse
I got about 40 minutes into it and stopped it. The acting was quite bad and I was thinking, "damn this is going to be like Prison Break" - three episodes worth of meat stretched over a whole season (I stopped watching Prison Break half way into the first season). Too many other options these days to settle for this one (for me anyway).
Despite being preposterous, Prison Break is a great show and is very fun to watch. I too thought that the premise of the show was a load of crap but then decided to pick it up on dvd (nothing else came out that week). I read some reviews of the show and decided to give it a shot. Lo and behold my wife and I watched the whole first season in just a matter of days as we were hooked to see what would happen next. There is plenty of meat there to be consumed if you would watch it as many crazy things happen in the first season. Quite a few deaths and other crazy things take place that make for good, fun tv. I believe that season 2 is going to be just as great and I also feel that the first episode was more than adequate in introducing a new phase of the show.
Old 08-26-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I DVR'ed it and watched it just now. It was so so, not great not bad. I'll tune in next week and see how I like it.
Old 08-26-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The question the people here have is not whether he would have gotten to the switch in time. That is unknown, but what we do know is that running towards the child who is much farther away was extremely pointless, and he should have spent the time trying to keep the dead guy's finger on the trigger, and not trying to get himself blown up as well.
He made a human reaction to run to the kid. Is that hard to understand? May have not been the smart move, but was the likely one most would make.
Old 08-26-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I Tivo'd it and I'll watch again but I think I'll let my Tivo record 3 or 4 episodes before I start watching again. It's not a must-see like 24, Prison Break or Lost for me......yet.
Old 08-26-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Most of this is cut-n-pasted from the pilot thread:

"Vanished" - I didn't much like the lead FBI agent on the case of a kidnapped senator's wife (the senator was played by the guy who was Walt Cummings on "24" last season), and Ming-Na isn't all that convincing as a FBI agent welding a gun on a bust-in. Rebecca Gayheart plays the reporter on the story, and she did stumble on the pronunciation of "Chamblee" (she said "Shum-blee", while most everyone in Atlanta says "CHAM-Blee"), and it didn't dawn on me that the show was taking place in Atlanta until the end of the pilot, though the kidnapping supposed occurred at the Biltmore hotel in downtown Atlanta. As the title suggests, the kidnapping seems to be more of a smokescreen for the senator's wife to vanish (and appears to have done so over a decade ago as another person). I didn't find this show all that compelling, certainly not as compelling as "Kidnapped" and probably won't keep up with it when it airs in the fall.
yeah....me thinks they didn't do a ton of research about atlanta before using names and places.

plus....no one had a southern accent. and i don't remember seeing much beyond white people.

does not seem like atlanta at all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.