TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fight Science 8/20 9pm

Old 08-20-06, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fight Science 8/20 9pm

Reminder for people interested in martial arts

National Geographic - 8/20 - 9pm

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/c...eoPreview.html

Watch the video Preview to get more info on this. They even have Rickson Gracie performing submissions and testing the power and torque of the submissions. I wonder how much force a Muay Thai Knee generates from a Champion

Last edited by BBEANLPHIE; 08-20-06 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 10:11 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Im there mate !
Old 08-20-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks cool. Got my DVR set.
Old 08-21-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 177 Posts
I watched the punch and kick segments last night.

The boxers punch garnered nearly 1000 lbs of pressure, where as the kung fu punch yielded only 600 or so. Still, I'd hate to hit by either.

They never say how much pressure that the Muay Thai Knee generates, but that it was deadly. But there was a back kick that popped in a number of almost 1600!

I'll watch the rest later this week, but it is interesting.
Old 08-21-06, 11:01 AM

I caught most of this, and found it pretty interesting, though they did have a tendency to be overly dramatic. For instance, I never realized that the existence of knock out punches was in doubt, that the "legend" needed to be proved. I'm no scientist, but I've seen plenty of knock-outs in boxing, mma, etc, and wouldn't necessarily attribute them to "legend". Also, when they were comparing styles, they ignored the fact that some of the guys participating were considerably larger and stronger than others. Doesn't it stand to reason that the boxer would probably be able to throw a more powerful punch than the kung fu expert who probably weighed 60 or 70 pounds less? I also found it amusing when comparing the impacts of the punches they said the 993 pounds generated by the boxer was "nearly double" the 612 pounds of the kung fu expert. Interesting math for a scientific study. Overall though it was pretty entertaining. And did anybody else catch UFC fighter Dean Lister hanging out in the background of the Gracie segment?
Old 08-21-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 321 Posts
What I would have liked was to measure the speed of the weaponry like the escrima/kali, the nunchakas, the bo and the 3 sectional staff.

I found it interesting that they didn't put the wushu guy against the ninja on the balance test, or the wushu guy against the speed/reaction test.

All that said, ninjas still rule. It's too bad Bruce isn't around to have his strength and skill tested like this.

Last edited by devilshalo; 08-21-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 12:36 PM

Chuck Norris' punch would have registered like a 2000 easy.
Old 08-22-06, 04:28 PM

Funny how they say Rickson Gracie has fought and beaten all other martial arts styles, but they make something like Ninjitsu sound so *scary* with the 1 hit chest punch kill and the super quiet tippy toe walking. What a Joke. I mean wouldn't the most effective martial art be one that destroys all other martial arts. It was obvious which one was most dominant in a REAL confrontation. The early UFC already proved which one was most dominant when it was pure martial art vs pure martial art.
Old 08-22-06, 04:49 PM

I really wish that the really mean looking tae kwon do CHAMPION would put on a shirt at least . Come on whats the point of walking around like that when everyone else is decently clothed and always flexing. Some people still believe flexing and getting tattoos make you tough.
Old 08-22-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
Funny how they say Rickson Gracie has fought and beaten all other martial arts styles, but they make something like Ninjitsu sound so *scary* with the 1 hit chest punch kill and the super quiet tippy toe walking. What a Joke. I mean wouldn't the most effective martial art be one that destroys all other martial arts. It was obvious which one was most dominant in a REAL confrontation. The early UFC already proved which one was most dominant when it was pure martial art vs pure martial art.
The point was that this wasn't about a real confrontation/fight. And they said this during the show at the end. Somedays one may get luckier than the other just for the mere fact that we're human. And it showed that Ninjutsu had a combination of various forms of all of the martial arts to great effect, from stealth, speed, power, grappling and balance (and I'm not including weaponry). The show also made weaponry a big part of extending the reach for a martial artist, of which they did not show any for jiu-jitsu or muay thai. And no inclusion of krav maga or discussing MMA. The tests were set up for strength and speed only.

Again, I would have loved to see Bruce Lee put to this kind of test. To see the power and speed he could generate. How much power does he generate in his 2" punch and his side kicks? And just how fast is he? (The scene in Enter the Dragon against O'Hara always amazes me because it's not like they under-cranked the camera to make it look fast, it is that fast.)