Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What is HBO going to create next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is HBO going to create next?

The end of most of their dramas, Sopranos has its final 7(?) episodes coming up this January, this is deadwoods last season (besides the planned 2 2-hour specials) and Rome has only one more season left, what is HBO going to do now? There any word on possible new hour long dramas coming up? I know they still have the wire and Entourage, and the new show Lucky Louie, but I hope they will continue to make epic dramas like sopranos and deadwood.

Personally I am hoping for a realistic pirate show. (no Johnny Depp comedy but real life rugged raping and pillaging pirates).
Old 08-19-06, 06:52 PM

I wish we could get more band of brothers. A pirate show is one I have not thought of. Thats sounds like it could be cool.
Old 08-19-06, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold up, Rome and Deadwood are ending next season? Where'd you guys read this? Links perhaps? And why so soon?

Still, my favorite show on HBO right now is Entourage. I think this show is as close to perfect as it gets. It's just so good. And after the first episode, I think Lucky Louie has picked up. I kind of like it. It's better than the crap sitcoms they usually try to push on us and is a thousand time more realistic in its portrayal of life.
Old 08-19-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Maybe a show about people who are obsessed about DVDs.Look at the original posters name.
Old 08-19-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to see a horror series somewhere along the lines of the attempted Nightmare on Elm St. tv series either that or something like Friday the 13th tv series.
Old 08-19-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would also like to see a tv series based on the movie Scanners.You could call it Scanners-25 yrs Later and bring back Mike Ironside and Jennifer O'Neal(still hot after all these years).
Old 08-19-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Alot of the shows that HBO produces are really expensive. Deadwood costs over $5M an episode. Producing The Wire in Baltimore has got to be really expensive as well. So, I think they are going to be really selective on what projects they decide to take on, especially since they are a subscriber based channel with zero ad money coming.
Old 08-19-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by hiccup
Hold up, Rome and Deadwood are ending next season? Where'd you guys read this? Links perhaps? And why so soon?

Still, my favorite show on HBO right now is Entourage. I think this show is as close to perfect as it gets. It's just so good. And after the first episode, I think Lucky Louie has picked up. I kind of like it. It's better than the crap sitcoms they usually try to push on us and is a thousand time more realistic in its portrayal of life.
Rome is ending after next season (10 episodes) Considering Season 1 costed over $100M to produce, we are lucky to get a Season 2. Tv Guide.com reported this last week.

I'm surprised you haven't read about Deadwood. HBO and David Milch agreed to produce two 2 hour movies to wrap up the series. There was a thread about this several months ago.
Old 08-19-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cancel everything and bring back Carnivale and I'd be happy.
Old 08-19-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Cancel everything and bring back Carnivale and I'd be happy.

Eh, that was my least favorite, they shouldn't have made Sopranos Season 6 and made 2 more seasons of Rome.
Old 08-19-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They still have the only show I watch on their network:

Old 08-19-06, 10:05 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Alan (Six Feet Under) Ball is developing a series based on Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series of books. Link

David (Deadwood) Milch is developing a show called "John From Cincinnati" based on the works of Kem Nunn (Nunn is also involved in developing the show). The show has been described as "surf noir." Link

Big Love is still around, and the Wire will probably go to a fifth season (the fourth season starts in a few weeks).
Old 08-19-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought Big love bombed?
Old 08-19-06, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Thought Big love bombed?
I'm not sure how it did ratings-wise, but I enjoyed it much more than Sopranos.
Old 08-19-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Although I'm not a fan of every HBO show created in the last few years, I recognize the quality of each one. That faith was severely shakened with the stillborn Lucky Louie.
Old 08-19-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
"Big Love" and "The Wire" are probably a lot cheaper to produce than period/genre shows like "Rome," "Deadwood," and "Carnivale," since they don't require special sets, props, and costumes.

I would expect that we'll be seeing more shows that HBO can produce on the cheap, and less period and genre projects.
Old 08-19-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
"Big Love" and "The Wire" are probably a lot cheaper to produce than period/genre shows like "Rome," "Deadwood," and "Carnivale," since they don't require special sets, props, and costumes.

I would expect that we'll be seeing more shows that HBO can produce on the cheap, and less period and genre projects.

I hope not, thats why HBO was so great.
Old 08-20-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought I had heard/read somewhere that a Pacific Theatre version of Band of Brothers was in the works?
Old 08-20-06, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by indianajdp
I thought I had heard/read somewhere that a Pacific Theatre version of Band of Brothers was in the works?
Yeah, it's called "The Pacific War," but I'm having a hard time finding any news on it from the past year or so.
Old 08-20-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I just want some kind of wrap-up to Mind of the Married Man.
Old 08-20-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Although I'm not a fan of every HBO show created in the last few years, I recognize the quality of each one. That faith was severely shakened with the stillborn Lucky Louie.
I agree. Their last two efforts - Big Love and Lucky Louie - are horrifically bad compared to their otherwise nearly flawless string of great shows. I am definitely hoping they pull off "The Pacific War," which last I heard was tentative for 2009.
Old 08-20-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure Lucky Louie is extremely hit and miss, but Big Love is one of the best HBO shows still in production IMO. It started off slow, but the writing and acting are top notch, and it was definitely more satisfying than this past season of The Sopranos. I think their only missteps of late are Carnivale which I couldn't get into and LL, which I still enjoy moments of (overall, it's pretty brutal though). Hopefully they'll have some more great stuff up their sleeve...looking forward to the new Milch show for sure.

MATT
Old 08-20-06, 12:25 PM

Big Love was very good! It borrowed a little too much from Desperate Housewives at the start but it hit its stride by mid-season.
Old 08-20-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yeah, we'll probably see more series along the lines of "Big Love". I'm guessing about 80% of that show is shot on a studio lot (the home and backyard is so obviously a studio set it almost takes away from the "realism"). I think it's obvious HBO doesn't have the cash flow to invest in "big" (i.e. expensive) series anymore...at least for now.

Of course, that doesn't mean the shows won't be enjoyable...after a horrible pilot and a slow start, "Big Love" became quite entertaining.
Old 08-20-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I just want some kind of wrap-up to Mind of the Married Man.
Yeah, that pissed me off too! I've forgotten the exact details of the cliffhanger ending for season 2 now, but if it gets released on DVD, I'm sure I'll be pissed of about it again.

Ditto for Carnivale!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.