DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Rock Star: Supernova (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/470821-rock-star-supernova.html)

Patman 08-10-06 08:29 PM

I love Newstad's puzzled looks during some of the performances, it's like he's thinking "WTF?"

rkndkn 08-10-06 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I love Newstad's puzzled looks during some of the performances, it's like he's thinking "WTF?"

I was waiting for him to comment on Josh's head bobbing during his song.

mllefoo 08-10-06 09:16 PM

I'm glad Josh is gone. I couldn't stand to watch him bobble his way through that one song. I can't imagine watching him do it for two hours during a concert.

Tommy Ceez 08-10-06 09:44 PM

BTW.. Newsteads advice vs. Tommy Gilby and Dave is night and freaking day

To compare any of thier experience to his being in the largest band in the world for years is rediculous

freshticles 08-11-06 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by mllefoo
I'm glad Josh is gone. I couldn't stand to watch him bobble his way through that one song. I can't imagine watching him do it for two hours during a concert.

That's only because he was behind a guitar. His swagger went directly to his neck. I'm totally bummed he was voted off. I thought he was the best singer, had a really versatile voice and an awesome personality. His Supernova song slayed on the others too.

Rocketdog2000 08-11-06 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
For some reason I think of him as the best singer to not win Rockstar Supernova.

Not buying that at all. His voice is passable, at best, but better suited for other venues. If there was a CoffehouseStar, than he might take the cake - but to me he clearly comes off as out of his league, and trying too hard. It's obvious that up until this point, he's likely been playing small rooms with just himself and an acoustic guitar or piano. He's still is very uncomfortable on a big stage, and he can't sustain the power in his voice while moving around. I've seen at least three performances with him now where his singing has dropped out to the point of being practically inaudible, and he's almost breathless. I keep thinking, "god, if he's barely making it through one song, how's he going to pull off an entire evening, and night after night at that". The only time he's pulled off a memorable and convincing performance was when he did "Losing My Religion", and he was sitting down at a piano for that one, which only further proves my point.

He may just make it to the final 6, but my predictions for the final four are Magni, Lukas, Dilana and Storm.

Zayra, by all rights, should go next. Then Ryan, Patrice and Toby, and in that order, too.

movieking 08-11-06 06:09 AM

I agree with your final four, but not the order of the next four going. I'd switch Zayra and Patrice.

Bill Needle 08-11-06 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Not buying that at all...

Take another look at the pictures:

http://stonecrowrecords.com/images/bio_mug_ryan.jpg

http://images.zap2it.com/20040205/ro...rs_240_002.jpg

The bottom one is not Ryan, it is actually Rob Cestorino, "The best player to not win Survivor." This was my idea of who he always reminds me of, as well as a humble attempt at humor.

clckworang 08-11-06 11:11 PM

^^^ Some of us got your attempt at humor.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was unnerved by Josh's neck bobbing. Yes, I understand that it was because he was playing guitar, but there's still no excuse. He made Phil's neck movements look subtle.

Also, I was totally with Dave on his assessment of Toby. I enjoyed Toby more than any other week until he broke out that megaphone. Then he pretty much lost me. He completely lost me at the end of the song when he put the siren on. Could you get any cheesier?

Surprised at how well Lucas sounded, it was definitely the first time that he allowed his voice to open up, but his drunken buffoon antics on stage are starting to look about as forced as Ryan's jumping around on stage, at least in my opinion.

I wasn't at all sure what to think of Ryan's performance. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it on here. Probably a little too theatrical for me. But my friend I watch this show with and I totally agree about the coffee house vibe from Ryan. He just always has this "I'm in pain and I'm really deep" look on his face, kinda like the poet guy from Peggy Sue Got Married. Did I really just reference that movie?

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 08-14-06 10:03 AM

Week 7 songs

Spoiler:
Zayra - Lluvia De Mar - original song
Magni - Starman - David Bowie
Patrice - Message in a Bottle - The Police
Lukas - Hero - Chad Kroeger
Storm - I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
Toby - Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel - with Gilby on acoustic guitar
Ryan - In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Dilana - Cat’s in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

pinata242 08-14-06 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Week 7 songs

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Zayra's song will probably be the best thing she could do for herself, honestly. Especially if it is an existing original song and not something she just threw together.

magiccmom 08-14-06 10:06 AM

Week 7 songs

Spoiler:

Pretty weak songs IMO...

Patman 08-14-06 10:08 AM

Geez, that is some weak stuff. Did they forget to pay the royalty police?

mllefoo 08-14-06 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
^^^ Some of us got your attempt at humor.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was unnerved by Josh's neck bobbing. Yes, I understand that it was because he was playing guitar, but there's still no excuse. He made Phil's neck movements look subtle.

I think the head bobbing is just because he's an irritating louse. I've seen lots of people play the guitar for songs like that, and none of them looked like they should be glued to the dashboard of a Honda Accord.

Eddie W 08-14-06 10:20 AM

Geez, that is some weak stuff. Did they forget to pay the royalty police?

That's what I'm not liking about the show this year. It seems they have a very limited pool of tired songs from the same old artists. I mean c'mon, not one of these songs are in the same genre they are auditioning for. And at least one is way, way out there. Why not just let them all do original material?

At least there's no Nirvana song this week......

movieking 08-14-06 10:59 AM

I think that Ryan is going to massacre his song. Can't wait to see Storm perform....interesting choice.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 08-14-06 11:02 AM

I heard that Supernova ripped Storm apart

movieking 08-14-06 11:04 AM

Really? Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it.

When is it taped? Where do you get early scoop like that? I saw it posted somewhere before, but can't remember. TwP maybe? Can't remember.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 08-14-06 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
Really? Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it.

When is it taped? Where do you get early scoop like that? I saw it posted somewhere before, but can't remember. TwP maybe? Can't remember.

Tuesday shows are taped on Sunday. Wednesday shows are taped Wednesday afternoon. There are several websites with some information. Supernovafans.com always has accurate info from people who attend the tapings.

DRG 08-14-06 11:10 AM

Week 7 songs

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's a great move for Zayra. Now Storm... that might come off as super cheesy, especially on the heels of doing "We Are the Champions".

magiccmom 08-14-06 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
Spoiler:
That's a great move for Zayra. Now Storm... that might come off as super cheesy, especially on the heels of doing "We Are the Champions".

Cheesy isnt the word for that selection. I have been to dance competitions with my daughters and we cringe whenever we hear that song. That is the dancing staple for preteen newbie dancers. Not meant for a rock competition AT ALL.

movieking 08-14-06 11:22 AM

Thanks Lunatikk.

So

Spoiler:
how is it that Zayra can do her own song? I thought that they all had to stick to the songs that were picked out for them to do (the ones posted on the wall)? I can't see Storm wanting to do I Will Survive.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 08-14-06 12:09 PM

Thanks Lunatikk.

So

Spoiler:
how is it that Zayra can do her own song? I thought that they all had to stick to the songs that were picked out for them to do (the ones posted on the wall)? I can't see Storm wanting to do I Will Survive.

Spoiler:
I haven't watched the online/song selection episode for this week yet. But last season, they had "original song" posted on the wall for someone to choose, along with the actual songs they put up there.

candyrocket786 08-14-06 12:14 PM

Thanks Lunatikk.

So

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The "original song "choice is posted with the song selection. Both Ryan and Zayra vie for it...but Ryan is ultimately convinced to go with the Collins song

Big Boy Laroux 08-14-06 12:54 PM

just watched the reality episode. zayra and ryan were battling over the song choice. all zayra would say, over and over, was "I really, really, really want this song". then she would add more "really"s. pretty annoyng.

MASAMUNE2 08-14-06 01:25 PM

I think that Ryan is going to massacre his song. Can't wait to see Storm perform....interesting choice.

"Massacre" is good or bad??

TeamAnS 08-15-06 08:19 PM

Zayra does an original and she sings in Spanish? That should go over well with the band and the viewing audience. Will they finally cut her this week?

LordofWar 08-15-06 08:33 PM

Storm butcherd her song.

TeamAnS 08-15-06 08:33 PM

Storm just performed and why is everyone using the Vegas trip as an excuse? Why would the band want a lead singer that can't recover a few days later to perform? Sounds pretty weak to me.

candyrocket786 08-15-06 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by TeamAnS
Zayra does an original and she sings in Spanish? That should go over well with the band and the viewing audience. Will they finally cut her this week?

Probably....but the song and performance was great!!! :up: :up:

candyrocket786 08-15-06 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by LordofWar
Storm butcherd her song.

Really? :hscratch:

I thought she was decent.

If anyone butchered a fucking song.... it was Lukas.

Jadzia 08-15-06 09:28 PM

"I like spanking."

:lol: Touche, Storm.

I think the problem with Storm's song was that while it is possible to make a rock version of I will Survive, but then they added the extra constraint of it being an acoustic show and that didn't work. I could see what she was trying to do with it, more of a blues-rock type number, but that just doesn't translate well acoustically.

That said, I still think she was way better than Lukas.

DVD Josh 08-15-06 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Really? :hscratch:

I thought she was decent.

If anyone butchered a fucking song.... it was Lukas.

It *may* have been okay until she started letting out those gutteral sounds. Then it became terrible.

Patman 08-15-06 10:34 PM

Good:
Dilana - very melodic
Ryan - gritty
Toby - sang in the right key

Okay:
Zayra - sounded nice, but not right for Supernova
Loukas - vocally regressed a bit
Magni - almost forget how he sounded, unmemorable

Not good:
Patrice - she's going home tomorrow
Storm - perhaps she will survive tomorrow

Rocketdog2000 08-15-06 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Take another look at the pictures:

http://stonecrowrecords.com/images/bio_mug_ryan.jpg

http://images.zap2it.com/20040205/ro...rs_240_002.jpg

The bottom one is not Ryan, it is actually Rob Cestorino, "The best player to not win Survivor." This was my idea of who he always reminds me of, as well as a humble attempt at humor.

Wow, you got me waaaay wrong there. Wasn't saying I didn't get your humor, jjust that Ryan is by far the best player not to win. That's all.

Rocketdog2000 08-15-06 11:20 PM

Can't believe they all liked Ryan's perfomance. In my book, that was just plain awful. But, at least he looked good for a change. I'll give him that much.

Glad at least Dave ate his words after Dilanna's performance - which was the best all night.

Storm - was good, mostly, but I agree with DVD Josh's statements. Really not a lot you can do with that song. I think Cake are the only band who've done something interesting with that tune.

Lukas - wasn't too bad. Liked it better than the original version.

Patrice - love ya, but we both know you aren't right for this band. Performance was not bad. That said, even though she is likely to go home tomorrow, Zayara deserves too more - as she really isn't right for this band. Her perfomance/song was alright, but she should have at least sung it in English, especially if she want's to be in this band, or prove that she does. At this stage in the game, it would be a bit of an insult to everyone else who goes home before her, if she gets kept around.

Mok 08-15-06 11:26 PM

Dilana was great tonight she actually is pretty hot looking even with all that junk on her face.

MASAMUNE2 08-16-06 12:58 AM

Usually I have a tendency to agree with the critiques but tonight I was on a completely different page than them.

Patrice was as horrendous as Storm and should have been smacked down just as hard as her.

Lukas and Ryan both screwed up really good songs in my opinion. And they get praised by the judges.

Zayra deserved much more credit than she was given. I somehow think that because the song was in Spanish that it didn't go off as well with the judges, but her vocals were superb tonight. If she did the same thing with proper unaccented English I'm sure she would've gotten a standing ovation.

Dillana was just average and she gets praised. Meh.

movieking 08-16-06 05:19 AM

It seems to me that Patrice has lost all confidence, and doesn't even seem to want to be there anymore. I think that she is a goner tonight.

JAA 08-16-06 07:15 AM

...Patrice - she's going home tomorrow...

It seems to me that Patrice has lost all confidence, and doesn't even seem to want to be there anymore. I think that she is a goner tonight.

No doubt. :)