Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who - The Christmas Special 12/05 (Part of Season 2: SPOILER WARNING)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Well, I just managed to see this and thought it was really good. I was really upset that the switch, but I think the new addition comes off well. I really like how they tied a lot of season 1 into this with PM and some of the references when Rose was trying to tell them to leave.

Really stepped it up a notch at the end with the decision - really interested to see where more of this "Golden Age" stuff goes. Couple of times now they have mentioned it.

Do you think the PMs actions make her stronger or weaker? Really glad to see the Doctor go off on her.
Old 06-19-06, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd start with saying I disagree with the PM's actions. Attacking people who've surrendered is unacceptable in my book.

However, I dislike the Doctor's response equally as much. Harriet Jones is the elected representative of the people. By what right does the Doctor interfere to get her thrown out of office like that. Granted we're never told how the "six words" achieve that, and its a non-violent response but does that make it justified?

Then again I guess the Doctor regularly interferes with other planet's rules just seems less acceptable when I think of it being a ruler I might have voted for. For the Americans in the audience think how you'd feel if it had been an American President he'd had hounded out of office.
Old 06-19-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidoflondon
For the Americans in the audience think how you'd feel if it had been an American President he'd had hounded out of office.
Well, I'm not really sure how the Doctor could do that. Absent resignation or removal from office by Congress (which has never happened) presidents are in it until Inauguration Day.
Old 06-19-06, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Did this just air on Sci-Fi or something?
Old 06-19-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Nope. Perhaps this Christmas to kick of season 2? It would make sense.

Last edited by Superman07; 06-19-06 at 09:54 AM.