Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Goodbye The WB

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was rather fond of much of their programming, and will miss them. I know most of them are going to CW, but it won't be the same. And the classic Kids WB line up will never be matched for a long time (when they had Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, MIB, and Bruce Timm's Superman and Batman cartoons, plus a lot of other stuff that was fun). I am bummed they never became a full fledged network the way Fox did.

It's UPN I won't miss at all.
Old 06-30-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
wheres the love for shasta mcnasty? (sadly, i actually watched that, and liked it, but i didn't know any better back then)

Shit, I LOVED Shasta McNasty!

(what does that say about me?)

There's one joke I still remember from an episode - one of the characters nearly got into a fight/argument (don't recall which) with a dyslexic person, who called him 'holeass'...I found it funny.

Mini me (Verne Troyer) got too much of the focus on that show though, and of course Carmine Giovanazzo is now on CSI: NY.

Another WB show I loved was "Off Centre"...
Old 06-30-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good riddance to bad blood, I say!

Sorry, but I didn't really dig anything on this channel save for a random episode of Creek once in a blue moon.

What's replacing it?
Old 07-01-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Good riddance to bad blood, I say!

Sorry, but I didn't really dig anything on this channel save for a random episode of Creek once in a blue moon.

What's replacing it?
WB/UPN v 2.0. Nothing you would be interested in as I think the focus is still going to be pretty close to what those channels were before.

I wonder with UPN channels going away are we going to see the return of first run syndicated shows?
Old 07-01-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In addition to the pilots, The WB plans to fill its final night with a bevy of classic promos and image campaigns from The WB's 11-year history. There'll also be a final tribute reel featuring the hundreds of actores(sic)/actresses who've appeared on WB series over the years.
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...re-4th-of.html
Old 07-01-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm moving Sept 17 back into the dorms, but thank goodness for tivo!
Old 07-02-06, 12:43 AM

Glad to know ANGEL will be a part of the final line-up of pilot rebroadcasts.
Old 07-02-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Instead of showing the pilots for Buffy and Angel (Welcome the Hellmouth/The Harvest, City of...), I'd rather see the WB play Not Fade Away (the Angel series finale), The Gift (the final WB episode of Buffy), and Chosen (the Buffy series finale), but I'm assuming Fox would want the shows to get promoted with the pilots since they are some of their better selling TV on DVD titles.
Old 07-02-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
WB/UPN v 2.0. Nothing you would be interested in as I think the focus is still going to be pretty close to what those channels were before.

I wonder with UPN channels going away are we going to see the return of first run syndicated shows?
I don't think so, if the whole mynetworktv concept catches on. If it fails, I think it's possible you might see somebody try syndication. I wonder if it won't be more along the lines of additional syndicated gameshows or maybe even sitcoms. It seems to me that there probably isn't as much unmet demand for sci-fi/fantasy as there was back in the last heyday of syndication.
Old 07-02-06, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Instead of showing the pilots for Buffy and Angel (Welcome the Hellmouth/The Harvest, City of...), I'd rather see the WB play Not Fade Away (the Angel series finale), The Gift (the final WB episode of Buffy), and Chosen (the Buffy series finale), but I'm assuming Fox would want the shows to get promoted with the pilots since they are some of their better selling TV on DVD titles.
I'm excited to see City Of for nostalgia's sake - recalling its October 1999 airing, and if they indeed air old promos for these shows, I'd love to see some ANGEL ones from then - I have several on Video CDs, but seeing them on TV will be fun.
Old 07-02-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm curious to see if Buffy or Angel gets aired in HD. I know the later seasons of Angel were filmed this way, but all the shows were shot on film so an upconversion is technically possible.
Old 07-02-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny that I never watched this network back in the day, but I'm now a WB whore like my wife. Angel is my #2 favorite show, Buffy was great (top 10), ditto for Dawson's Creek, I was enjoying a bit of Everwood.

All of it watched on DVD though, never the actual channel. Still, hopefully the new network can pull together some good quality shows.
Old 07-02-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That's all MyTV is - a glorified 2-hour syndication package, being passed off as a network. FOX's original plans with those English-language telenovelas they're airing on MyTV were to offer them in first-run syndication this fall. But when the WB/UPN/CW thing was announced and FOX decided to start MyTV, they decided to put the shows on that "network," instead of syndicating them.

But they're essentially still just syndicating them - just giving stations a "network brand" in the process.
Old 07-03-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the WB. Buffy, Angel, Popular, Roswell, Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Smallville, Supernatural, Charmed, One Tree Hill, Glory Days, Grosse Pointe, Young Americans, My Guide to Becoming a Rock Star and Popstars (before there was American Idol).

I also loved the promos w/ the music - looked forward to them, even.

As for UPN, I love Veronica Mars, America's Next Top Model and Jake 2.0...and of course, they finished out Buffy and Roswell for us.

Here's hoping the CW lives up to its predecessors.
Old 07-03-06, 07:36 PM

I got to Buffy/Angel through DVD so I was late to these. Is there anywhere to find old promos from these shows? I'd like to see how they teased their shows.
Old 07-03-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Phineas444
I got to Buffy/Angel through DVD so I was late to these. Is there anywhere to find old promos from these shows? I'd like to see how they teased their shows.
"Next week, on a fresh episode..."
Old 07-03-06, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phineas444
Not sure, but I loved the promos that I got to see. Hopefully there is way to get ahold of them.

Found something cool though. A fan made Virtual season 8 credits intro video. Very well done. It's a minute and hafl, so for tv it would definitely have to be condensed, but well done. I liked it a lot, but as someone who edits I would've condensed it a bit more and had it go a bit more to the beat of the theme.

http://www.virtualunatics.com/multimedia/media.html
Old 07-03-06, 10:28 PM

I have every ANGEL WB promo I could find and download from sites worldwide, and burnt VCDs out of them. (they're in wmv, quicktime and MPEG-1, mostly)

The best source for both Buffy and ANGEL WB trailers (for download to keep, not streaming) is http://www.Buffyworld.com

I downloaded an ANGEL season 6 opening credit sequence. It was made by a production company, not a fan with a home video editor (that fact makes it less special to me for some reason)...it's good but with one FATAL flaw:

It added Tom Lenk (Andrew) to the cast...if that happened in real life it would likely turn me off the series altogether.

Here's a link to the ANGEL season 6 credits (quicktime streaming)

http://www.kerniecamproductions.com/angel/

I myself made an ANGEL music video for the extended theme from the soundtrack.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 07-03-06 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 10:36 PM

Buffy and Giles? Eww.

That site's pretty bizarre.
Old 07-04-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,103 Likes on 799 Posts
Not that this has anything at all to do with the topic, but the messed up thing about the BUFFY dvds not having promos (etc) is that is doesn't have the "Previously on" for the 100th episode --and I don't think they fixed it for the Slayer Box release.
Old 07-04-06, 02:38 AM

Not just Buffy.

Buffy got off easy with that stuff - Parts of teasers were cut from various ANGEL episodes because of that.

What would really KICK ASS though, would be if during the final broadcast, the WB aired the famous 5 1/2 minute ANGEL promo reel, known as the 'unaired pilot'. Bits and pieces made their way into the extras for the season 1 DVD, but to see the whole thing on TV - rather than a crappy download...that would really be something.
Old 07-05-06, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

Here's a link to the ANGEL season 6 credits (quicktime streaming)

http://www.kerniecamproductions.com/angel/
seeing this makes me sad that The WB cut it loose so early.
Old 07-05-06, 06:35 PM

Except for the "casting" of Andrew, right?

Right?

He sucks, right?

I can't be the only one who can't stand him!
Old 07-05-06, 08:31 PM

If you check limewire and youtube, they have alot of 'image campaigns' and old promos from many WB shows...
Old 07-05-06, 08:42 PM

If I had limewire again, I'd gladly check out those WB promos, only I don't want to be overrun with viruses again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.