Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lucky Louie- HBO's 1st sitcom premiering 6/11

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
Looks like they pulled it after the HBO premiere Sunday night.
bummer.
Old 06-13-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The thing about Louis CK's humor that I really enjoy isn't really sitcom type material. His observations about ridiculous situations are what really made him stand out to me... like his joke about waving hi to some guy across the street while eating an apple, or the type of sound you make when you go to push an elevator button that's already lit - it doesn't translate into a sitcom about a guy schlepping along in life.

Norton's character has potential, and since I'm a regular listener of O&A I was interested in seeing him on screen. Good job as a creep, but he's truly funny when he ad libs. There's no place where he can show off his scathing wit.

Last edited by rabbit77; 06-13-06 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never seen Louis CK live, but laughed at a few lines that sounded like they'd be from a routine. 'need ta raise 50 bucks to be broke', the afforementioned 'p*ssy of financial ruin' and some others. I wonder if I'll dig this a bit more having never seen his stand up or having never heard Norton.

My DVR didn't record the show. Will have ta catch a repeat to get the full half hour. (only saw 15 mins or so.)

I liked the stark sets and the video-tape look to the show. Real contrast to Entourage right before it, and makes it look/feel like an old sitcom.
Old 06-13-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
While an Entourage episode feels like it flys by in about 10 minutes, this show felt like it was 210 minutes. Horrible would be a generous term to describe it.
Old 06-14-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The shots in his apartment looked so fake. It literally looked like it was on a soundstage. And the room was so bare, too. I didn't understand that.
Old 06-14-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
The shots in his apartment looked so fake. It literally looked like it was on a soundstage. And the room was so bare, too. I didn't understand that.
That's the idea; they were going for that look. They are really trying to play up the "live" aspect of the show.
Old 06-14-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So...maybe so...I'm honestly not sure. But if came off as really cheap to me. There was one scene in the bedroom where I could see the fading shadow of a painting that used to be on the wall. It was just weird.
Old 06-14-06, 12:45 PM
fab

Not sure what the problem with the set is... I think it conveys a shit-ass apartment pretty accurately.

--
fab
Old 06-14-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fab
Not sure what the problem with the set is... I think it conveys a shit-ass apartment pretty accurately.
i agree. i think it looks more realistic than the houses and apartments that we see most tv characters living in (that they could never afford on their below average income jobs). we've just been brainwashed into thinking all tv show characters with crappy jobs live in luxury apartments, so when we finally see a realistic looking one, it looks fake to us.
Old 06-14-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
i agree. i think it looks more realistic than the houses and apartments that we see most tv characters living in (that they could never afford on their below average income jobs). we've just been brainwashed into thinking all tv show characters with crappy jobs live in luxury apartments, so when we finally see a realistic looking one, it looks fake to us.
It's not so much the set up of the apartment and what's in it... but how it looks on the screen... especially in HD. It either has to do with the lighting or the camera their using. HBO obviously isn't using standard sitcom equipment. And with a show like this where none of us are entirely sure in the direction that they're going with it.... the look's a big part of it.
Old 06-14-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bleak 1970's look of this series reminds me of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
Old 06-14-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not about having it look like a luxury apartment. On the show, it looked like they had just moved in a week prior. There was NOTHING on the walls...it just looked weird and very unrealistic.
Old 06-14-06, 06:06 PM

Overall I didn't like the show too much. I didn't like the stage look and I hated the laught track. Especially on HBO it feels totally out of place. I will watch one or two more episodes before I quit but I don't have much hope.
Old 06-14-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
It's not so much the set up of the apartment and what's in it... but how it looks on the screen... especially in HD. It either has to do with the lighting or the camera their using. HBO obviously isn't using standard sitcom equipment.
I think they are shooing it on video.
Old 06-14-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
While an Entourage episode feels like it flys by in about 10 minutes, this show felt like it was 210 minutes.

I totally agree.
Old 06-14-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Negatives
Laugh track or not, I'm done with sitcoms with anyone laughing. I prefer new comedies like Curb and Entourage without audiences.
Exactly. The studio audience ruins it for me.
Old 06-14-06, 10:32 PM
Banned

It was okay but I give new shows like this at least six before I bail. I'd never heard of this comedian at all before he was on Stern this week promoting the show so I watched it On Demand.

I agree that most of the jokes were pretty weak but it can only get better as they get more comfortable performing together. The lack of censorship is a big plus. CK said on Stern there is an upcoming show where the word, c*nt, is spoken like 40 times and HBO had no problems with it.

As far as the differences between sitcoms, shows with studio audiences are called multi-camera, the others are called single-camera (which can have canned laughter added or not).

This may be the first multi-camera sitcom for HBO but I have on tape a George Carlin show called Apartment 2C that aired on HBO which I believe was a pilot for a sitcom. Can't remember if there was an audience or not. Early-to-mid-eighties. Very raunchy and very funny.
Old 06-15-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
I agree that most of the jokes were pretty weak but it can only get better as they get more comfortable performing together. The lack of censorship is a big plus. CK said on Stern there is an upcoming show where the word, c*nt, is spoken like 40 times and HBO had no problems with it.
Eh, but vulgarity for the sake of being vulgar is never funny. Which reminds me:

Lucille: "Michael, I need to talk to you."

Michael: "Hang on a second, Mom. Gob, you have to get rid of the 'Seaward'."

Lucille: "I will leave...when I'm good and ready."
Old 06-15-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
The only way this show could suck more would be if Jonathan Silverman were in it.
Old 06-15-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
You would think comedians would have timing, but apparently that doesn't translate to acting. I'm a Jimmy fan, but what was with that delivery? Terrible. The only character I thought did well was that fat guy with the moustache. I have to look him up on IMDB to see what I remember him from though.
Old 06-15-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The set was soooo bad. Come on - In College I had no cash but you hang stuff on the walls - slap on a coat of paint. Het some nice light fixtures. The walls were so big and bare.

The show seemed to drag and was at a very slow pace - The War at Home seems to move at a faster pace and seems a little edgier (even without the cursing)
Old 06-15-06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You would think comedians would have timing, but apparently that doesn't translate to acting. I'm a Jimmy fan, but what was with that delivery? Terrible. The only character I thought did well was that fat guy with the moustache. I have to look him up on IMDB to see what I remember him from though.
You have to remember that 'lil Jimmy gets nervous sometimes.
Old 06-15-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Positives

Jim Norton plays a creep very well.

Thats because 'lil Jimmy is a creep, a creep with aids none the less. Looking foward to more of lil Jimmy on this show and on Leno Tonite!

Last edited by Me007gold; 06-15-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Thats because 'lil Jimmy is a creep, a creep with aids none the less. Looking foward to more of lil Jimmy on this show and on Leno Tonite!
That is the 2nd time in the thread that somebody said he has aids. I know he'll probably eventually get it :-), but I'm about 2 weeks behind on the radio show. He doesn't have it for real does he?
Old 06-18-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Finally caught this. It's fitting that I said I "caught" it, because this show is very much like a disease. Submoronic and every bit of it was offensive. Not offensive because of the raunchiness, but because it was raunch without even the smallest bit of humor. Even the reptilian, but usually funny, Jim Norton was unwatchable. I hated every worthless second and insipid line of dialogue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.