Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Bad Wolf" 6/2 (Last Night)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops, I forgot to post a thread for Doctor Who this week... better late than never, so here it is if you want to discuss the episode that aired last night.

The Place : The Game Station
The Year : 200,100
The Problem : The Doctor wakes up, with a spot of amnesia, inside a house… the ‘Big Brother’ house, to be exact. Rose is on the set of ‘The Weakest Link’ but it’s not quite as she remembers it from television: instead of Anne Robinson, there’s now a robot host called the Anne Droid.

Starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor, Billie Piper as Rose and John Barrowman as Captain Jack
Old 06-03-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I recorded it and haven't watched it yet, but that description sounds awful. I hope the episode turned out better than it sounds.

How many episodes are left in this season? (I'm really going to miss Christopher Eccleston's Doctor when it's over.)
Old 06-03-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
I recorded it and haven't watched it yet, but that description sounds awful. I hope the episode turned out better than it sounds.

How many episodes are left in this season? (I'm really going to miss Christopher Eccleston's Doctor when it's over.)

this is the first half of the double episode season final story, so one more episode to go after this... and yes, the episode is much better than what it sounds like.

I hope Sci Fi shows Season 2 sooner than later.
Old 06-03-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was pretty good episode. The only bad thing was I had a hard time understanding the robots. Didn't really make a lot of sense. The shows touches on a couple of past episodes and there is something in it that was fairly powerful in a old episode and now there are a lot of those somethings. So I'm thinking why don't they just go kick the doctors ass.

I think I know what the bad wolf thing is about unless they pull something out of the blue which they might do.

All in all a good episode and captain jack gets naked and shares a moment with the doctor.
Old 06-03-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
All in all a good episode and captain jack gets naked and shares a moment with the doctor.

Wait until you see next week's episode!
Old 06-03-06, 05:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I didn't care too much for this episode the first time I saw it, but this time around I liked it more. Maybe because now I've seen the whole story arc.
Old 06-03-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
First ep of the Doctor I've been able to watch since we downgraded to basic cable. Sister in law, who now has a DVR and SciFi, gives me free rein on the DVR. Looking forward to next week's show, and on June 16, SciFi is playing all the eps I missed in a 7 hour marathon! Woo-hoo!
Old 06-04-06, 06:01 AM

So... Where did Captain Jack get that laser?
Old 06-04-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PJAceto
So... Where did Captain Jack get that laser?

You don't want to know.
Old 06-04-06, 05:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I thought it was pretty good episode. The only bad thing was I had a hard time understanding the robots. Didn't really make a lot of sense.
It may not be what puzzled you but, from memory, certain of the robots were parodies of UK television "personalities".

An earlier poster already mentioned the Anne Droid (based on Anne Robinson) and there was a couple based on a pair of infamous makeover/style consultants.

My apologies for the vagueness.... it was a while ago I saw the penultimate and final show of Season One.

[ This week's UK Season Two episode was excellent, if somewhat derivative of a couple of films! And, being a two-parter, we have the necessary element of suspense!]
Old 06-04-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Wait until you see next week's episode!
Jack is such a good
Spoiler:
kisser
Next week's episode is my favorite.
How is this doing in the ratings?
Old 06-04-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From my viewing of UK television I can only assume "The Weakest Link" had a much larger cultural impact than it did on this side of the pond. I've seen several satires or references to it. In fact, the Big Finish audio story "The One Doctor" had a parody much like the one in this episode, except both the contestant and the questioner were robots. The game wasn't setup the same in that instance, but the pace and delivery of the questioner was a dead on Ann Robinson. I highly recommend that story as it's a great satire of the entire Doctor Who universe. Colin Baker in audio is also 10 times the doctor he was on TV.
Old 06-05-06, 07:30 AM

For those in the US who don't know the three situations our heroes find themselves in are all based on UK shows.

The Weakest Link was more popular here.

Susannah and Trinnee are two "clothes" experts who star in their own make-over show. Offer people advice on what is and is not fashionable.

Big Brother is typical reality show pap.

For interest the four people from those shows (Anne Robinson, Susannah, Trinnee, and from Big Brother Davina MaCall) all voiced their own characters. Which created a buzz here although given those names would be mostly unknown in the US I suspect less impact for you.
Old 06-05-06, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We had the Weakest Link for a while, with the same host. It was popular for a month or so.

We have Big Brother as well, although our format is considerably different (it changed after terrible ratings and a boring first season). Different host, too.

We also have fashion shows too, but I don't know enough about them to guess if there's an exact equivalent.

A lot of our reality programs are rip-offs of British shows, actually.
Old 06-05-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The fart-joke Slitheen and this game-show-spoof episode were the two things that kept me from being able to recommend Season 1 to friends in general. Loved it as a whole, but some bits were just mortifyingly bad.
Old 06-05-06, 02:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemol

Originally Posted by Groucho
A lot of our reality programs are rip-offs of British shows, actually.
Although regarded by a fair few as a British show, I think BB was first a hit in the Netherlands.