Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Veronica Mars: How is the second season?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Veronica Mars: How is the second season?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problems with the "friend" was the casting and writing. Which I doubt UPN has anything to do with. The writing was unbelievably horrible for that character.

We can blame UPN, but it all comes down to the writing.
Old 08-31-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JayDerek
Yup, UPN wanted Veronica to have a female friend on the show. This next season Mac will be a regular, so we'll have more of a likeable friend.

I enjoyed the second season as much as the first. To the people saying the resolution of the mystery was a "cop-out": can you explain that? Just because it wasn't who you thought it was doesn't mean it was a cop-out.
Old 08-31-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just burned through the second season on DVD and have to disagree with most of the complaints. The mystery was engaging and I thought the villain was more plausible than the first season (or at least had more clues dropped throughout the season). The mood swings and personality shifts of some characters reminded me all too much of high school, so they seemed very believable to me and not a result of poor writing.

Originally Posted by Ayre
The strength of the relationship between Veronica and her dad is lacking.
This is one of the best parent/child relationships on TV, not sure what complaints you could have about that.

My only real complaint with the season was the concessions that had to be made for budgetary reasons.
Old 08-31-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just burned through the second season on DVD and have to disagree with most of the complaints. The mystery was engaging and I thought the villain was more plausible than the first season (or at least had more clues dropped throughout the season). The mood swings and personality shifts of some characters reminded me all too much of high school, so they seemed very believable to me and not a result of poor writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayre
The strength of the relationship between Veronica and her dad is lacking.

This is one of the best parent/child relationships on TV, not sure what complaints you could have about that.

My only real complaint with the season was the concessions that had to be made for budgetary reasons.
Thank you! somebody who finally agrees with what I've been trying to say. Personally I found this season to be even better than the first one because the actors knew what to do with their characters, the writers knew how to write for the actors as well as the characters, and the season-long arc had any more motives/clues/wrong-turns than the first season. Also, I was SHOCKED by the reveal at the end of the season, where in season 1 I had been expecting since episode 8... Not to Mention the Plane Scene - There where 5 people in my room giving running commentary through the entire episode until that scene, when most people where too shocked to saw anything or too busy crying...

Can't wait for season three!
Old 08-31-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Of course it is ... that is why I mentioned it. I think the relationship between Veronica and her dad is lacking in the SECOND season compared to the FIRST.

He is barely part of her life in the second season. It is as if they are in two different story arcs. Keith Mars also has a smaller impact on the storyline from episode to episode.

I have always thought they need to get Veronica out of school, licensed and have her work for her dad. I think it would be a much better show.
Old 08-31-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Veronice/Keith relationship will suffer more when she's at college i think. I can't imagine her spending much time w/ him since she's at school...i know they'll be in the same city, but still....w/ college comes new friends, etc.

The 3rd season should be interesting. I'm liking that they're doing 3 mystery arcs, instead of just 1 season-wide arc.

I finished watching the 2nd season (for the first time) on DVD on Sunday. I loved it overall. A couple complaints here and there, but it's still one of the best shows on TV. Unfortunately i had the culprit spoiled for me for season 2 a few months ago.
Old 08-31-06, 02:46 PM

In my opinion, Season 2 is a textbook example of what happens when writers lose all control, with too many plotlines and characters, and just end having to pull something out of their ass to attempt to close everything.

I hope the writers of Lost don't make this mistake. Might be too late.
Old 08-31-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD

Having recently finished watching both the first and second seasons on DVD, I'm inclined to agree with you, too. I still probably like the first season better, and I did have some issues with the way some plot points were handled during season two, but overall I enjoyed them both immensely. I've become a completely hooked fan.

Now, my opinion might be a bit different had I watched the actual airings, as opposed to the DVD - but I plan on definitely tuning in to those veiwings of the show from now on. Then maybe I'll see if I think differently of it.

My wife & I both found the show to be very addictive, and it was nice to be able to watch more than one epsiode in a row, so I think it'll be a bit rougher being confined to week to week viewing. For now, regardless, I'll just be jonesing for my VM fix for the next month.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 08-31-06 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Veronica attending Hurst or Stanford in season 3?
Old 08-31-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I have read, even Kristen Bell had hard time following the plotline in season 2 but I gather there will be a few different mysteries in season 3 and they will each conclude in four or five episodes.
Old 09-01-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The worst part about last season was Wallace's girlfriend. It seemed like she hated Veronica and then partway through the season she shifted gears and wanted to be her friend. Overall she just felt unnecessary.

I still really enjoyed Season Two, but I'm glad to hear the main story arc won't be as convoluted as the last. The long breaks between episodes made it hard to remember all the plot points even with the "Previously on..." mini-recaps.
Old 09-01-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

I enjoyed the second season as much as the first. To the people saying the resolution of the mystery was a "cop-out": can you explain that? Just because it wasn't who you thought it was doesn't mean it was a cop-out.
I was the who said the resolution was a "cop-out" but I guess I was just being too "nice" - better and more accurate descriptions of the resolution would be "idiotic", "stupid", "absurd", "ridiculous".

Yeah, it was a surprise, but "surprise" does not automatically equal "good" and this resolution was one of the most disappointing of any show of the last TV season.
Old 09-01-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny79
Is Veronica attending Hurst or Stanford in season 3?
Doesn't really need a spoiler, I guess, but:
Spoiler:
She's staying in Neptune.
Old 09-01-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac
I was the who said the resolution was a "cop-out" but I guess I was just being too "nice" - better and more accurate descriptions of the resolution would be "idiotic", "stupid", "absurd", "ridiculous".

Yeah, it was a surprise, but "surprise" does not automatically equal "good" and this resolution was one of the most disappointing of any show of the last TV season.
Yeah, but you're not answering why. What about the resolution/identity of the villain didn't you like? It all made sense, and I could see that it was planned out pretty well.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 09-01-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-01-06, 09:20 AM
Suspended

In a way it almost seem the
Spoiler:
title
of the first season finale foreshadowed season 2's killer,
Spoiler:
"Leave it to Beaver.
Old 09-01-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved season two and, while I (like everyone else) have a few minor nit-pick-y concens, the only thing that REALLY bugs me is in the first episode
Spoiler:
where Veronica's distracted by the "ghost"(?) of Lily running. A clumsy device to get her to notice Weevil. We've NEVER seen ghost-Lily outside of V's dreams or imagination and to acually have V's life saved ecause of a supernatural event (unprecedented and unrepeated) just seems pointless and annoying.
Old 09-01-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
I loved season two and, while I (like everyone else) have a few minor nit-pick-y concens, the only thing that REALLY bugs me is in the first episode
Spoiler:
where Veronica's distracted by the "ghost"(?) of Lily running. A clumsy device to get her to notice Weevil. We've NEVER seen ghost-Lily outside of V's dreams or imagination and to acually have V's life saved ecause of a supernatural event (unprecedented and unrepeated) just seems pointless and annoying.
Not to me since
Spoiler:
Lily
appeared (in some form or another) to Veronica in Season 1 and the S2 opener followed the same format.
Old 09-01-06, 07:23 PM

I'm on vacation in San Diego. Yesterday, I was walking back to my friend's apartment from Balboa Park, and saw a bunch of trucks with tv equipment and such. I asked a security guard what they were filming, and he said "Veronica Mars." We saw Kristen Bell leaving her trailer across the street. We walked over to the 7-11 where they were shooting the scene. Watched for a bit, it was pretty neat. I only got 1 decent picture. After I started taking them some jerk came over yelling and demanding that I put the camera away.

In the scene, she just walks into the 7-11, and talks to the person inside for a few minutes. When she walked back out she was texting someone on her phone.

Old 09-01-06, 08:31 PM
Suspended

That's pretty awesome.
Old 09-02-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neat!
Old 09-02-06, 03:47 PM
Suspended

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I just noticed it - the last episode of S1 is titled, "Leave it to Beaver." Then the last episode of S2...well, you know. Probably just a strange coincidence, but kind of made me think maybe they knew what was going to happen at the end of S2 already at the end of S1?
Old 09-02-06, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Damn, she looks hot even from that far away.

I wonder if that's "the" gas station?
Old 09-02-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Probably just a strange coincidence, but kind of made me think maybe they knew what was going to happen at the end of S2 already at the end of S1?
I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the extras on the S2 set (I've heard it somewhere, at least) that the general premise for season two as well as the culprit behind it all had been hammered out while the last few episodes of season one were being written.
Old 09-02-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got into VM when S1 came out on DVD. I did not watch it S2 when it was on TV, but i had read complaints about it. However after watching S2 on DVD I thought it was a excellent season. S1 is some of the best TV out there, but S2 is up there as well. I guess it works better when you can watch it in large chunks of episodes instead of one episode a week.