Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL Season Finale (5/20/06) Kevin Spacey/Nelly Furtado

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts
Anderson Cooper 360
Any time Hammond does Ah-nuld it is funny. I give them this one for things of that nature.

Monologue
Smart, but not really funny.

Two A-Holes at a crime scene
Horrible.

Oprah Winfrey’s Legends Ball
Horrible.

I’m Carol!
Beyond horrible. Actually insulting.

TV Funhouse
Atypically boring. Makes me think Smigel is contracting this bit out these days.

Andy Samberg
Cheesy and dumb, but the best bit of an incredibly weak night.

Weekend Update
As putridly unfunny as ever.

The Falconer
Would have been much better without the last 2 minutes of the 4 minute sketch.

Digital Short
“Andy Walking”
Nothing funny to see here folks. Keep walking.

Legends of History
A passable late show sketch.

Neil Young
Enough already.

The good news is that with the passing of Tina Fey by definition the show just became instantly better.
Old 05-21-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
it looked like Tina Fey is leaving the show to focus on her sitcom in the Fall for NBC. Anyone have an idea who they will replace her with on Weekend Update? Maybe Andy Samberg and Amy or Bill Hader and Amy?
Old 05-21-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
wasn't the cartoon a rerun, or at least parts of it rerun?
Old 05-21-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to guess Seth Meyers and Amy will do WU, establishing a somewhat annoying trend of that gig being a perk of the head writer.
Old 05-21-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why all the Tina Fey hate? She's the best thing on there. WU went downhill when Amy joined Tina behind the desk.

I'll definitely check out Tina's show. Hopefully Rachel will show off some boob, too.
Old 05-21-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
Why all the Tina Fey hate? She's the best thing on there. WU went downhill when Amy joined Tina behind the desk.

I'll definitely check out Tina's show. Hopefully Rachel will show off some boob, too.
Yeah, gotta agree with you about Poehler dragging WU down. Tina and Jimmy had a lot more chemistry, worked better as a team and of course had all that sexual innuendo going on.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 05-22-06 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-21-06, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The first SNL I've watched in years, but I was in a hotel room last night with nothing else to do, so I figured "why not?" I pretty much agree with what's been said in this thread. The Usual Suspects bit was funny, and I didn't see it coming. My wife thought it was hilarious, and she's never seen the Usual Suspects. I also liked the Andy Walking bit. I thought the Falconer skit was hilarious, though it's my first exposure to the character -- I can see how it would be thoroughly unfunny if you tried to play the character in context. My favorite part of the episode was when Spacey's version of the Falcolner yells "Donald! Duck!"

All in all, a good enough way to pass an hour and a half when you've got nothing better to do on a Saturday Night, but it didn't make me want to make SNL "appointment TV" like it was back in the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 05-21-06, 10:57 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts
Why all the Tina Fey hate?
Becasue she's an awful head writer.
Old 05-21-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always hate the Carole skits, but I have to admit I got a good chuckle when she called Spacey a "dilf".

The Usual Suspects thing was great, my favorite part was "Radio" "head" and they showed that bloody head.
Old 05-22-06, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think of Rachel Dratch as a sexual being at all. I find her totally repulsive for some reason. I'm not saying that she doesn't have big cans, I just would never ever think of her that way.
Old 05-22-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Stone Phillips"

It's the occasional skit like that one keeping me watching.
Old 05-22-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by movieking
I don't think of Rachel Dratch as a sexual being at all. I find her totally repulsive for some reason. I'm not saying that she doesn't have big cans, I just would never ever think of her that way.
Thank you.

Every time I read a comment about her rack, I just don't get it. Yeah, they're big, I know. But otherwise she's this squat little fireplug with a fairly harsh face.

Pamela Stephenson: now THAT was a choice SNL rack.....
Old 05-22-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,269 Posts
didn't watch the show but someone mentioned Dratch Boobs and my alerts went off.

Dratch Tits
Old 05-22-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jobronie
Thank you.

Every time I read a comment about her rack, I just don't get it. Yeah, they're big, I know. But otherwise she's this squat little fireplug with a fairly harsh face.
Yeah, same here. Are tits so important that we're willing to ignore that face? When she does the Debbie Downer skits and the camera moves in a close-up on the punchlines, it's enough to make you shudder.
Old 05-22-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I can always appreciate a good rack, no matter what it's attached to. That said, I don't think Dratch is "ugly", but she's no Pamela Stephenson, Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, etc.
Old 05-22-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Yeah, same here. Are tits so important that we're willing to ignore that face?
Happens ALL the time..

Especially if the tits are attached to an attractive face with no acting ability..
Old 05-22-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think your problem is you are heterosexual. I suffer from the same ailment, and find her nauseating.
Old 05-22-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why all the Tina Fey hate?
Because she's the head writer of a once great comedy show and (to borrow from another poster on an old thread) wouldn't know funny if it crawled up and...

Sorry, but I just can't finish it.
Old 05-22-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spacey and Seth actually almost made Carol funny. The DILF comment as mentioned, and Seth bringing her takeout order. (but of course I would be happy never seeing it again!)

Spit takes at lie after lie of Dubya's was funny. Even the Presidential Seal can't believe this guy!

And I'm a big fan of the A-Holes sketches. The set up (what did he look like) and delay of the 'looks like a rabbit" line was great.

Fey showing her ass on WU... Hmmm

And the Nelly F + rapper song... Wha..? Like they found a new word and had ta use it 20 times in a song.

Still gives me enough laughs to tune in when I'm home on Sat Nites!
Old 05-22-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was pretty happy with this ep. I had no idea Spacey was hosting, so that was a good feeling. I got a chuckle or two out of every sketch, except maybe the Sarcasm bit & Neil Young. I loved the Aholes and the Usual Suspects bit (even though the setup was real bad, it payed off).
Old 05-22-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Falconer, Samberg w/ Spacey bit were probably the only 2 I found funny. That Samberg walking bit could have been a lot better, but it just came off as childish & uninspired.

What happend to Nelly Furtado. I really dug her first two CDs cause they sounded different. Now she's gone all generic. I guess she's gotta do whatever she can to sell albums. Looks better than ever, however.
Old 05-22-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 891 Likes on 404 Posts
"Iraq, and not Iraq."

I laughed at a few parts in this one. The Falconer, the levy spitting, the Usual Suspects reveal, Fey's hair in the flashback, and Samberg on the street.
Never heard of the music guest. "She's got a great ass!" But, no boobs. I thought the rapper guy in the first song was decent, although I think she sung the same 3 lines over and over.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 05-23-06 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Because she's the head writer of a once great comedy show and (to borrow from another poster on an old thread) wouldn't know funny if it crawled up and...

Sorry, but I just can't finish it.
I like her. I think she's funny and hot to boot. Plus Mean Girls was great!
Old 05-25-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
The A-Holes are the funniest recurring skits to come along on SNL in a long time.
Old 05-25-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Ding Dong, the witch ISN'T dead..

I forgot where I read this, TVGuide.com I think, but they said Tina Fey is NOT leaving WU. She's just relinquishing her head writer duties.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.