Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Some The Shield Tidbits..(possible spoilers?)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from their newsletter..

INTERNAL AFFAIRS
The Shield executive producer Glen Mazzara answers fans’ questions.

Neal Wilson: My idiot friend says Vic is the father of Danny's baby, but I say he's assuming too much. All Danny said was that she'll tell the kid about his father when he's older. Is my friend an idiot or am I? And by the way, for all the people who are crying about poor Lem, Shane only did what he had to do.
Glen Mazzara: I'm surprised that there's any question, but the next season premiere should settle it once and for all.

Tim Wells: I am a huge fan of The Shield, but the last show of the season damn near killed me! I hated to see Lem killed off! Did he want to be off the show? I actually cried watching the show! That's right, I said it, I CRIED! I knew it was going bad when Lem and Shane were alone, but I didn't see that coming! The show is amazing!
Glen Mazzara: So glad you're enjoying watching as much as we are writing it. Kenny Johnson has been a valuable part of the show since day one. No, he did not want to leave. Telling him that we needed to kill his character because it would be the greatest tragedy possible for the Strike Team was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

Yedidya Zion (writing from Israel): Bravo on an amazing show that is, in my opinion, the only one on television (once again proved by the season finale) that will do things its viewers believe to be undo-able, and change everything its viewers believe to be unchangeable. My question for you is: What made you decide to make Terry's death such an important theme during the 5th season after he was rarely if ever mentioned in the show since the first season? And was having Lem's reaction to Terry's death (him breaking a van's window) and being able to use it as one of the only pieces of evidence to their connection a stroke of luck or was it, in some sense, part of a higher and always existing plan?
Glen Mazzara: After branching out last season and writing an entire arc for Glenn Close, I think all the writers had a need to get back to basics. Kavanaugh was the new adversary, but he was tied directly into the original sin of the show. That's why Terry's death became so relevant. As far as Lem punching the window, there was no plan. We were simply establishing his character back then and most of our stories come out of character as opposed to plot. It was really just a lucky accident – if there is a higher plan, I'm not sure whose it is. The Ghost of Lem?

Leslie Garrett: Will Kavanaugh come back in the next season? Forest Whitaker added so much turmoil to the show, it was wonderful. I really did hate the fact that Lem had to be killed off -- he brought so much to the show. Is there any way that he could have actually survived? I am really looking forward to next season. Will Vic and Ronnie find out that Shane was involved in Lem's death next season?
Glen Mazzara: Next season Kavanaugh returns, Lem is still dead, Vic goes after the Salvadorans and Shane has a HUGE problem.

quick summary incase you don't want to read it all:

will find out who the father of Danny's baby is.
Lem (Kenny Johnson) did not 'want' to be killed off but obviously they did.
Kavanaugh will return.
Lem is still dead.
Vic goes after the Salvadorans
Shane has a HUGE problem (I would think the most obvious thing he did isn't the HUGE problem, but it could be..)
Old 05-19-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Didn't this show's original creater and show-runner die during the course of the season? That usually means a real change in the "feel" of a show; I hope not, in this case.
Old 05-19-06, 06:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
Didn't this show's original creater and show-runner die during the course of the season?
No, he was working on another show at the same time;The Unit.
Old 05-19-06, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
Shane has a HUGE problem (I would think the most obvious thing he did isn't the HUGE problem, but it could be..)
Either way you look at it, it's still a massive problem for him. Unlike every other mess the characters on this show have gotten themselves into, Shane has absolutely nobody he can turn to for help if the investigation starts to lead to him. There's absolutely no chance that Vic will ever agree with what he did, and he's got to know that. The only person who might understand what he did is Mara, and we've seen how well Shane and Mara can get out of trouble on their own...

Has there been any news as to when the new episodes are going to start airing? I really don't want to have to wait until January to see what happens.

Didn't this show's original creater and show-runner die during the course of the season? That usually means a real change in the "feel" of a show; I hope not, in this case.
You're thinking of Scott Brazil, who was a producer on the show. Shawn Ryan's the creator.
Old 05-19-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xVladx
Has there been any news as to when the new episodes are going to start airing? I really don't want to have to wait until January to see what happens.

I think it was semi confirmed that it would be jan 07..
Old 05-19-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I think it was semi confirmed that it would be jan 07..
I think it has been confirmed that we're getting Rescue Me and then Nip/Tuck before The Shield comes back, so that does definitely say January at earliest.
Old 05-20-06, 02:04 AM

thanks