The Loop Renewed by FOX

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Loop Renewed by FOX

Old 05-15-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The Loop Renewed by FOX

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/newswire.aspx?id=7154

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- FOX has renewed its freshman comedies "The Loop" and "The War at Home" as well as given "The O.C." the thumbs-up for a fourth go-around, several network sources confirmed this afternoon.

"The Loop's" pick-up is understood to be for only 13 episodes while it's not clear if "Home" and "The O.C.'s" orders are for full seasons. The renewals of the Warner Bros. Television-based "O.C." and "Home" come in spite of the widely reported tension between FOX/20th Century Fox Television and the WB/Warner Bros. Television over "Reba's" future.

Well, I'm just glad they're giving it more of a shot, as it was constantly bringing the funny. Hopefully they don't give it the 7PM Sunday death slot.
Old 05-15-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, let's renew The Loop and cancel the show that it copied it's ideas thematically: Arrested Development. It's not a bad show, but it ain't AR.

Being this is Fox it will probably be cancelled after that 13 episode run.
Old 05-15-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
A copy of Arrested Development?

Ummmmmm The Loop shares very little with AD other than being a single camera comedy. It's actually much more like a traditional sitcom than AD ever was.

I dunno, I just don't see any connection there, I mean maybe you can compare the leads both being straight laced while being surrounded by crazies, but sheesh, that could describe a lot of sitcoms over the years.

Now, if this were Free Ride we were talking about, I could see the AD comparisons there, but it was pretty crappy.

Last edited by TheKing; 05-15-06 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Loop made me laugh.
Old 05-15-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoyed The Loop and am shocked (but very happy) that it will coming back next season. As far as comparisons to Arrested Development, I just don't see it. I do agree that it is a tragedy that The Loop gets brought back and Arrested is cancelled, but I just don't see much in common with the shows aside from the single camera, as someone else mentioned. The Loop was really a workplace comedy with some crazy roommate storylines tossed in while Arrested was, at its heart, a family comedy. They both could be kinda loopy, but I don't think the humor or execution was that similar.
Old 05-15-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Loop seemed hit or miss to me in the three times I caught it. I think somebody else I read somewhere put it best -- office: good, home: bad.

I'll try to catch it next year if it's on at a convenient time.
Old 05-15-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

B.A.

The Loop made me laugh.
Same here. Not great, but humorous enough. Comparisons to Arrested Development?

das
Old 05-15-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The Loop seemed hit or miss to me in the three times I caught it. I think somebody else I read somewhere put it best -- office: good, home: bad.

I'll try to catch it next year if it's on at a convenient time.
I would agree with that. The stuff at the office was usually far better than the stuff at home. Mimi Rogers was hysterical.
Old 05-15-06, 04:37 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the show, but Mimi Rogers and Philip Baker Hall's lines are so forced and badly delivered that I much prefer the stuff at home. The secretary's lines are very forced also, but she's so dry that it works.

My favorite thing about the show is the music. It has some of the best use of music I've ever heard and that Kochalka theme song gets stuck in my head all the time.
Old 05-15-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally some good news today!
Old 05-15-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes, let's renew The Loop and cancel the show that it copied it's ideas thematically: Arrested Development. It's not a bad show, but it ain't AR.
There is little similar about them - and I'm 99% it cost a heck of a lots less to produce since AD had such a large ensemble cast while The Loop has a total of 7 or 8 (including the secretary).

Fun little show. It'll be interesting if it makes it more than 13 episodes though before FOX yanks it around the schedule and makes it virtually impossible to find unless you have an aggressively trained heat-seeking Tivo. Then again without Malcom, Bernie Mac or That 70's Show, they have plenty of "sitcom holes" in their fall line-up.
Old 05-15-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

never seen the loop, but renewing the war at home? wtf fox?
Old 05-15-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I caught several episodes and it was fairly funny in an uninspired "meh" kinda way. What kills me is Fox renewing this and it's history of canceled shows.
Old 05-15-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I think is the bigger question here is:

What ratings did The Loop get that caused Fox to renew versus what did AD get that caused them to cancel?

If the Loop got lower ratings and STILL got renewed, I'm just baffled.

(full disclosure: I've never SEEN The Loop, aside from a few commercials before it premiered. To tell the truth, I didn't even know it was still on the air. So I have no clue how good or bad it really is)

-jason
Old 05-15-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The loop was probably less expensive to produce, but then again the Loop won't have the DVD sales AD had.
Old 05-15-06, 06:50 PM

So are there more than 7 episodes of the first season or what?
Old 05-15-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to see this is back. It definitely has potential, and I really enjoyed most of the episodes.
Old 05-16-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by entitee
So are there more than 7 episodes of the first season or what?
I don't think so... just 7.
Old 05-16-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Loop's ratings were low, but they weren't AD low. I think they should slot this for sunday at 8:30 and give it a real shot...we'll see. The comparison to AD earlier is laughable...nothing similar about the two at all. I'm really glad they renewed it. I love this show, not to mention the girls are smoking hot...and I love the interesting made up swearing that Thesis uses... Crap Jackers! Jack rammer!

MATT
Old 11-28-06, 01:21 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061128/.../networks_dc_2

By Nellie Andreeva
Tue Nov 28, 9:08 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Fox has reduced the order for sophomore comedy "The Loop" by three episodes, while ABC has taken "The Nine" off the schedule.

After a soft start in the spring, "The Loop" received a surprising second-season pickup in May. Bret Harrison stars as the youngest executive at the corporate headquarters of a major airline who is the first of his friends to get a real job.

Sources point to Fox's limited shelf space as a major reason for the cut order. Fox has two more series -- the drama "Drive" and the comedy "The Winner" -- on tap for midseason, with David E. Kelley's untitled wedding project also targeted for launch later this season.

Chris
Old 11-28-06, 02:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whaaaa.

only 3 eps, I quite liked The Loop, silly comedy.
Old 11-28-06, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
whaaaa.

only 3 eps, I quite liked The Loop, silly comedy.
No, I think the story is saying that they are reducing the original order by 3 episodes. So, if they ordered 13, then we will only be getting 10.

Chris
Old 11-28-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
No, I think the story is saying that they are reducing the original order by 3 episodes. So, if they ordered 13, then we will only be getting 10.
Correct.

"and its 1..2..3.. the kids love the monkey and
4..5..6.. the monkey's got a hockey stick
7..8..9.. havin a good time yeaaaa!"
Old 11-28-06, 04:39 PM

I only wished this show would focus more on the work scenes at the office and less on the idiotic friends. The stuff with Mimi Rogers and Philip Baker Hall is classic; the rest, not so much.
Old 11-28-06, 04:46 PM

"The Loop?" I don't remember ever hearing about that show before, and I watch Fox quite a bit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.