Big Love "A Barbeque For Betty" 5/7/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-07-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Spoiler:
Bill celebrates being "free and clear" from Roman, but the Prophet's meddling might not be over. Nicki drops a bombshell on Bill, hoping for forgiveness but fearing the worst. Don falls hard for a woman named Betty. Bill vents to Sarah after a run-in with the law. A vote-obsessed Margene leaves a "Chad" hanging.

Four more episodes this season (counting this one).

BTW : I redid the thread as I had the month wrong before.
Old 05-07-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That piece of bitch trash Nikki refusing to get her kid some ice cream because "daddy doesn't want us to buy fun things anymore"... And her taking out that hotel receipt at the end, I can't believe Bill didn't have her cancel all her cards yet. I swear that man is going to have a heart attack before the season ends hehe.
Old 05-07-06, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, not a big fan of Nikki. If Bill only knew she's still lying to him...
Old 05-08-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
So I guess the only way for Bill to get rid of Roman is now to return to the compound as the blood decendant of the True Prophet. Now THAT would be a kick ass direction for the show...

A mild mannered buisnessman by day, a raging religious figure by night, all for the sake of sweet revenge.
Old 05-08-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I really enjoyed that one. The characters are well written and universally well acted. Really felt for Bill in this episode, but honestly, is it that hard to find available land in UTAH? Wasting two dozen live Maine Lobsters has me almost crying, though.

BTW : finally got some female nudity - nine episodes in. Was there really any question who would be the first?
Old 05-08-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Too bad the female nudity was mostly covered by her long hair.
Old 05-08-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Decker
I really enjoyed that one. The characters are well written and universally well acted. Really felt for Bill in this episode, but honestly, is it that hard to find available land in UTAH? Wasting two dozen live Maine Lobsters has me almost crying, though.

BTW : finally got some female nudity - nine episodes in. Was there really any question who would be the first?
They did extensive stuies to show that the land was a prime spot, remember when Bill and the fat dude were in the car timing how many vehicles drove by in a 5 minute period?

Theres alot of land in Utah, but alot of HIGH TRAFFIC land?
Old 05-08-06, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
And her taking out that hotel receipt at the end, I can't believe Bill didn't have her cancel all her cards yet. I swear that man is going to have a heart attack before the season ends hehe.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was another credit card she got in the mail. I was thinking the application she was filling out in the mall wasn't for a job like she told Bill, but for a store card. Then at the end, I thought it showed her opening up the envelope with the new card inside (with her smiling). Maybe I'm wrong? She did say how easy it would be to file bankruptcy because everyone in the compound was doing it so she clearly doesn't care about the ramifications of such large debts.

Anyway, I can't understand how Barb was so nonchalent about the $60K of debt. They don't look like they are loaded (Barb drives an old station wagon and the other wives have old or small cars and they've got 7 kids to take care of). I remember when Bill wouldn't let Margene call a plumber to even fix the disposal. They always seem like they're budgeting. Yet, Barb didn't seem too upset about this. That part didn't make sense to me.

Last edited by shifrbv; 05-08-06 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a Marriot(?) receipt. She said she stayed at a shelter the night before but she was really living in the lap of luxury at the Marriot.

She's still my favorite character. I guess it has something to do with my long time attraction to Chloe Sevigny,
Old 05-08-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shifrbv
Yet, Barb didn't seem too upset about this. That part didn't make sense to me.
Barb is the most rational character on the show. It makes perfect sense for her to realize that at this point it does no good for her to be flipping out and to encourage Bill to do so further. She knows they have to find a solution for the problem, because the damage is already done. Yelling and being upset doesn't accomplish that.

Does anyone think there is more to the Margene vote than Nicki let on? It seemed like she just said it to shut her up (and to possibly draw attention away from the hotel statement/debt situation). Betty's talk with Margene in the truck seemed to allude to the idea that there were more issues with letting Margene into the family than a few split votes.

Last edited by dvd182; 05-08-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd182
Does anyone think there is more to the Margene vote than Nicki let on? It seemed like she just said it to shut her up (and to possibly draw attention away from the hotel statement/debt situation). Betty's talk with Margene in the truck seemed to allude to the idea that there were more issues with letting Margene into the family than a few split votes.

I think everything Nikki said was her projecting onto Margene, and she did not want a young hottie as the 3rd wife, because she would have to compete with the first wife and now the young hottie, and she brings nothing to the table.
Old 05-08-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I thought Bill's reluctance to let her call a plumber was also out of privacy concerns. The kitchen's seem to look into the connected backyards for all the houses.

To me it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to be in such an open sub-division like that. I would think it makes it exponentially more difficult to keep things under wraps.
Old 05-08-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
She's still my favorite character. I guess it has something to do with my long time attraction to Chloe Sevigny,

I love to hate her. Plus she appears to have some nice boobies.
Old 05-08-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nikki should change her name to "Drama Queen." And I thought Paulie on Sopranos was bad.
Old 05-08-06, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The receipt she pulled out at the end was for a hotel, but if you look closely it says she paid cash for it.
Old 05-08-06, 05:01 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with IDrinkMolson it does say cash, I was thinking that her and Bill made up and went to the hotel and started an affair, like Barb's.
Old 05-08-06, 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question: Do you think the children of the 2nd and third wives use the mothers last name?
Old 05-08-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I was thinking that her and Bill made up and went to the hotel and started an affair, like Barb's.
Bill gets called on his cell phone about her not coming home all night and then he proceeds to go looking for her. I would imagine if he were doing what you suggested he would have just made a comment about how he's sure she'll come back.
Old 05-08-06, 08:27 PM

If your attracted to Chloe search for her on the net she has done many racy scenes before like in the Brown Bunny
Old 05-08-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Quick question: Do you think the children of the 2nd and third wives use the mothers last name?
I would think so, I don't think they would want ties to Bill that would make people suspicious.

Great episode. Nikki may be a bitch, but God does she have a nice body.
Old 05-08-06, 10:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Bill gets called on his cell phone about her not coming home all night and then he proceeds to go looking for her. I would imagine if he were doing what you suggested he would have just made a comment about how he's sure she'll come back.

I was referring to after he found her.
Old 05-09-06, 02:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Nikki describing Margene's problem and they fit her better then they did Margene
Old 05-09-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd182
Barb is the most rational character on the show. It makes perfect sense for her to realize that at this point it does no good for her to be flipping out and to encourage Bill to do so further. She knows they have to find a solution for the problem, because the damage is already done. Yelling and being upset doesn't accomplish that.
Just like a mother would do for one of her children who fucked up and had a wildly ranting husband.
Old 05-09-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
It's funny...cuz her character is so repulsive, I found it hard to enjoy the scene!

Previews looked interesting, and the aspect of the show I've been kinda waiting for.
Spoiler:
Someone finding out about the arrangement. "Polygamists...right on our street."
Old 05-09-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

It does seem like they should live on 20 acres somewhere just to be more private. Nikki is really getting on my nerves. It may not be good for ratings, but I would like to see the family be in harmony for a few episodes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.