Desperate Housewives - "I Know Things Now" - 5/07

Old 05-07-06, 01:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Desperate Housewives - "I Know Things Now" - 5/07

"I Know Things Now"
Spoiler:
Tom receives discouraging news at work; Bree and Andrew reach a difficult point; Edie's private detective gets the scoop on Karl and Susan.
Old 05-07-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The scene with Andrew and Bree's boyfriend...well, that was just messed up
Old 05-07-06, 10:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom punching Ed

Bree kicking Andrew out
Old 05-07-06, 11:01 PM

I'm guessing Ed told Tom to either give him just cause to fire him or he was gonna tell Lynette. So Tom punched him. And...he still ended up telling Lynette.
Old 05-07-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hooray! Bree finally drops Andrew in the middle of nowhere and just leaves him. Betty turns the tables on Matthew after finding out his plan with Danielle from Caleb and imprisons Matthew in the dungeon. When Edie gets even, she really gets even with Susan. Carlos almost got to get busy with the maid in a quest for baby and green card. Tom takes matters in his own hands with the situation with the spineless boss.
Old 05-07-06, 11:59 PM
Retired

Best episode of season 2 IMO. Glad its finishing strong. Hopefully it's out of of its sophomore slump and will continue to finish strong and have a good 3rd season.
Old 05-08-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by magiccmom
The scene with Andrew and Bree's boyfriend...well, that was just messed up
Just goes to show...you can take the man out of Oz...

Originally Posted by Patman
Carlos almost got to get busy with the maid in a quest for baby and green card. Tom takes matters in his own hands with the situation with the spineless boss.
Shouldn't those be switched? Tom might be gettin busy in AC while Carlos takes...matters in hand?

But, yeah....that scene with Andrew was all kinds of fucked up...
Old 05-08-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Man. It's completely apparent now how f'd up this season was by the whole Applewhite thing. Every time that stupid story shows up, the show just grinds to a halt. I don't think I would have cared if they had just dropped the whole damn thing without even trying to resolve it. As it is, hopefully, they can it up forever in the next couple weeks. I mean, whatever happened with the people who sent Michael Ironside, looking for Caleb? He died, and then nothing. What a waste.

Regarding Edie burning down Susan's house, I forget, but did Edie ever learn that it was Susan that burned down her house? Or did Mrs. Huber take that secret to her grave?

And regarding Andrew. Doesn't Justin live in an apartment with John (the gardener)? Although I'm sure the writers have forgotten that, maybe Andrew will shack up with the two of them.

Last edited by TheBang; 05-08-06 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 09:00 AM

Well I was all for Bree throwing Andrew's ass out on the street, I was actually a little sad when she did it.

Nice punch by Tom. Wonder what he's hiding. Guess this is what he was talking about when his dad was in town?
Old 05-08-06, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Man. It's completely apparent now how f'd up this season was by the whole Applewhite thing. Every time that stupid story shows up, the show just grinds to a halt. I don't think I would have cared if they had just dropped the whole damn thing without even trying to resolve it. As it is, hopefully, they can it up forever in the next couple weeks. I mean, whatever happened with the people who sent Michael Ironside, looking for Caleb? He died, and then nothing. What a waste.
Were there "people" who sent him? I always figured that he was just some bounty hunter or something, and although he did have somebody else working with him, the guy may have just been an assistant and not really up to tracking somebody down.

Either way, I completely agree that the Applewhite storyline needs to either go away or get a whole lot more interesting. They need to throw in a curveball or something. Make it so that the other son was actually the one who killed that girl, anything. They didn't bother integrating the characters into the rest of the plot before going into the whole Caleb storyline, so they really need to do something to make the viewers care about what happens. As is, even when we had a mother talking about killing her own son, I found that I was just bored.

Regarding Edie burning down Susan's house, I forget, but did Edie ever learn that it was Susan that burned down her house? Or did Mrs. Huber take that secret to her grave?
I was wondering the same thing. While I don't remember anything like that explicitly, wasn't there a scene back in the first season where Edie and Susan were on a rowboat or something on a lake and they Edie threw her overboard or something? Even if I'm not completely remembering that wrong, I still can't remember what they were fighting over
Old 05-08-06, 09:38 AM

So Tom has a gambling problem I guess? The whole "two tickets" thing could have been a lie by the boss. If he was having an affair that would just be too easy. It needs to be something else like gambling.
Old 05-08-06, 10:35 AM

I believe that Susan did come clean to Edie about her house. One of Edie's requests was that she be included more with the other girls, like at the poker games.
Old 05-08-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent episode. Great stuff on all fronts, except the Applewhites of course.
Old 05-08-06, 02:23 PM

I think it would be great if Caleb pulled a Keyser Soze.
Old 05-08-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good ep. We finally are getting some resolution to some long-dangling plots. Good to see the Bree/Andrew storyline reaching the point it has. It was a very emotional moment for Bree, but it was definitely the right thing to do. And talk about a low blow from Andrew. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

We're finally getting some clues about what Tom is hiding as well. That's revelation has certainly been a long time coming.

Oh, and Edie knows that Susan was the cause of her house being burned down. As someone else said, Susan confessed to Edie on the rowboat where they were going to spread Mrs. Huber's ashes. Edie responded by dumping the ashes on Susan's head. The only reason Susan confessed was because the police had Mrs. Huber's diary in their possession. But the big difference is that Edie's actions can be traced as arson, whereas it was easy to dismiss Edie's house as an accident because of the candles. I'm not a fan of Susan at all, but I'll be happy if she gets back together with Mike. I'm just tired of that whole will they-won't they storyline. Just get back together already. I'd rather deal with their difficulties as a couple than the distant longing thing they have going on now.

I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating. I really feel sorry for Alfre Woodard. She is just a brilliant actress and really hasn't been given much to chew on during her run on this series. That plot has been a big misstep for the season. If they had made her an instant friend to the others and gradually revealed her secrets, I'll bet her storyline would have been far more satisfying. When I heard that Woodard would be joining this season, I was very excited. I thought she would be a great addition to the other women's dynamic. Unfortunately, that just never really happened. The best moments from that storyline were probably when Betty would open up to Bree. Just goes to show that we needed more of that.
Old 05-08-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I think it would be great if Caleb pulled a Keyser Soze.

Originally Posted by Todd B.
And regarding Andrew. Doesn't Justin live in an apartment with John (the gardener)? Although I'm sure the writers have forgotten that, maybe Andrew will shack up with the two of them.
There's a spin-off just waiting for LOGO to pick up!

Last edited by SMB-IL; 05-08-06 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
Oh, and Edie knows that Susan was the cause of her house being burned down. As someone else said, Susan confessed to Edie on the rowboat where they were going to spread Mrs. Huber's ashes. Edie responded by dumping the ashes on Susan's head. The only reason Susan confessed was because the police had Mrs. Huber's diary in their possession.
And, don't forget, Edie hosed Mrs. Huber's ashes off Susan in the front lawn (not sure whose lawn it was, though).

But the big difference is that Edie's actions can be traced as arson, whereas it was easy to dismiss Edie's house as an accident because of the candles. I'm not a fan of Susan at all, but I'll be happy if she gets back together with Mike. I'm just tired of that whole will they-won't they storyline. Just get back together already. I'd rather deal with their difficulties as a couple than the distant longing thing they have going on now.
The show is basically making like it's the same thing for both, when it's really not. Edie had a ton of candles burning in her house, so it was a hazard to start a fire even without Susan's bumbling help. And even with Susan knocking over the candles, it's still an accident - not arson at all.

But what Edie did with the gasoline: pure arson all the way.
Old 05-08-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^ I totally agree that Susan's actions burning down the house wasn't in itself arson, but I think by covering it up and not coming clean about her role in the accidental fire, it may not be arson but it has to be some kind of criminal action. She didn't even call out to make sure Edie and her boy toy got out of the house in time.

But yes, clearly Edie's actions are far more outrageous and overtly criminal. My main point was just that there really wasn't anything at Edie's house that would arouse police or firefighters' suspicions, but there is plenty at Susan's home. Edie better watch herself.
Old 05-09-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good episode for once. Loved the look on Andrews face at the end.
Old 05-09-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good episode. Looks like we will finally get resolution to the hints that Tom was having an affair/is married to someone else. About time!
Old 05-09-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm surprised Susan's letter made it to the proper destination. It doesn't seem she knows how to address a letter correctly. She didn't include their town which we know is Fairview. No zip code. Just "Eagle State, USA." Well, at least she got the Wisteria Lane part right.
Old 05-09-06, 11:50 AM

I was surprised she even put the letter in the mail. Wouldn't it have been easier to just deliver it herself, slip it into Edie's door or something? Sending it through the post office seems like a waste of time when you live across the street.
Old 05-09-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was surprised she even put the letter in the mail. Wouldn't it have been easier to just deliver it herself, slip it into Edie's door or something? Sending it through the post office seems like a waste of time when you live across the street.
Maybe she wanted to delay Edie's rage? Dropping off the letter herself may have involved Edie seeing her and opening it right then.
Old 05-09-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wondered the same thing because there is no guarantee that the letter would have gotten there by Monday before the PI met with Edie.
Old 05-09-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xVladx
Were there "people" who sent him? I always figured that he was just some bounty hunter or something, and although he did have somebody else working with him, the guy may have just been an assistant and not really up to tracking somebody down.
Just to show you how messed up the Applewhite storyline is, here are the relevant scenes (taken from this great DW site I found):

Monroe's Office

The newspaper with Caleb’s picture lies on the desk with a magazine clip filled with bullets. Mr. Monroe packs a small suitcase, picks up the clip, and puts it into the suitcase.

Monroe: "Where are my cuffs?"
Jerry: "Bottom drawer."
Monroe: "Ah."
Jerry: "So, when do I tell people you'll be back?"
Monroe: "Couple, maybe three days. What the hell's this?"
Jerry: "It's the ball gag. I thought you wanted it."
Monroe: "We do not recycle ball gags. Take a look at the teeth marks. It's gross. I'd like to think that we're better than that."
Jerry: "Hey, Monroe? You sure you don't want any help? The guy's dangerous."
Monroe: "He's a half-wit, Jerry. If I can handle you, I can handle him."
Betty's Basement

Betty and Matthew are going through Monroe’s wallet.

Betty: "He has an Illinois license. It says here his name is Monroe. Does that name mean anything to you?"
Matthew: "No, but at least he wasn't a policeman."
Betty: "Poor man. I hope he didn't suffer too much."
Matthew: "Mom, are we looking at the same body?"
They hear a cell phone ring coming from Monroe. Matthew goes to the body and gets the cell phone.

Betty: "What is it?"
Matthew shows his mother the cell, which indicates "Foster" is calling Monroe.

Betty: "As soon as it gets dark, we get rid of that body."
Bree's House - Nighttime

Bree comes in with a grocery bag and pushes the answering machine play button.

Detective Barton (on the machine): "Hi, it's Detective Barton. Look I feel awful about what happened the other day. I was a jerk, so to make it up to you, I did some sniffing around about the dead man they found in front of your neighbor's house. I got some information. His name was Curtis Monroe. A private detective who lost his license a couple years ago. He's apparently from Chicago. Now, I don't if any of this is helpful but... "
Betty and Matthew talk quietly to each other.

Matthew: "So why are you everybody’s best friend, all of a sudden?"
Betty: "If there was ever a time to be neighborly, this is it."
Matthew: "We’re idiots for staying here. I mean we should have hit the road as soon as they found Monroe’s body. I mean, how do we know that he didn’t tell Foster where we're hiding?"
Betty: "Because if he had, Foster would have shown up by now. Besides if we take off, what are we going to live on? I have all of our money tied up in this house."
Matthew: "So why not just sell it?"
Betty: "Patience, Matthew. If we take off right away it’ll look suspicious. Now, what we need is a story, a reason for us to move."
And then that's it. Nada. Nothing. Not another thing about Foster or people in Chicago looking for him (or the letter Betty sent to the Chicago police telling them they arrested the wrong person for the murder). I think that's the point at which they realized the Applewhite's just weren't cutting it, and that they needed another way to dump them. That's around the time when they started the whole Danielle-Matthew love thing, and then the Applewhites started disappearing for multiple episodes in a row.

IMO, that's about when the Housewives' storylines started turning around too. So hopefully they can eighty-six the Applewhites, keep things strong through the end of the season, and not repeat the mistakes next season.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.