Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

the Sopranos -- "Johnny Cakes" -- 04.30.2006

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny freaking episode...

seeing vito driving the motorcycle and on the grass was hilarious...

Tony has alot of balls not finishing the deed with the Julianna...
Old 05-01-06, 08:13 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Good episode last night...many good laughs.

Who has the link to the sfgate blog? I can't seem to find it.
Old 05-01-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Tony: "How'd you find me"

Julianna: "I'm a real estate agent"

Huh?

Good episode. I thought the scene on the boat was AJ trying to open the door into mob. Tony dropping his head back and going to sleep was that door slamming in his face.
Old 05-01-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
(And, Jesus God, for a few second there, I thought Julianna Marguiles was actually going to let her tits out.)
Oh yes, me too! Very disappointing.

As for her readiness to have sex with Tony, she did say that she was a wild child when she was younger.

Living on Staten Island (fuck, here he goes again!), I've encountered plenty of goomba wannabes and connected trash. You'd be absolutely astounded at the hot pieces of ass that the most troglodytic of knuckle-draggers get.
Old 05-01-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I sort of agree with you.

You ever watch Nip/Tuck?

Dr. Christian Troy sees more ass than a toilet seat. I think he's nailed every female patient they've ever had. I think he's fucked every woman who had a speaking part on the series with the exception of the transsexuals and the lesbian anesthesiologist.
And Joan Rivers
Old 05-01-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I thought the ep. was OK, but the Vito thing's already wearing on me, plus no Paulie whatsoever, and AJ is stupid beyond belief.

His plan was really to walk into the nuthouse with a Rambo blade and stab Jr. in the middle of a crowded room?? I was sort of hoping AJ would step up, maybe not off Uncle Jr., but maybe follow in Tony's footsteps since clearly school has never worked for him.
Old 05-01-06, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...dexn?blogid=24
Old 05-01-06, 09:45 AM
Banned

I think this episode said a lot about Tony more than told the stories of the other characters. The Vito story was thrown in there, I believe, just to show that he's still around - nothing really progressed anywhere. The AJ storyline was used to show that Tony wanted a better life for his son. He was genuinely disappointed with his actions, even though he was doing exactly the same thing Tony would have done. Yes, AJ was shown to be weak (and maybe even showed the source of his panic attacks), but I think it was more to show what Tony envisions for his son. AJ wants to please his father (like any son wants), but Tony knows that is the wrong direction for him. The club doesn't sound like a bad idea for AJ, especially considering how well Adriana's was going. Could mean big business for Tony and responsibiliy/growth for AJ. Carmela is the only bump in the way.
Old 05-01-06, 10:00 AM
Banned

I'm a huge Sopranos apologist and will usually defend any episode, but I cannot do it this time. For the first time I can remember, I wish I would have just read a recap than actually sat and watched it. This is all I needed to know...

1. Vito struggles with being an open homo and finally goes Brokeback with Mr. handlebars, who happens to be a calendar style voluenteer fireman

2. A.J. makes a pitiful attempt on Corrado's life in front of a ton of people and somehow the whole thing gets covered up like it never happened. Yeah, right.

3. Tony shows a newfound faithfullness to Carmella and sells a chicken store to Juice company.

That's it. I would have rather read those three things and just moved on to the next episode. I am completely done with the Vito shit. It's turned into another show that just takes up screen time. I can't see them bringing this character back. It wouldn't make any sense.
Old 05-01-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

last week was definitely an 'off' episode. while i liked the concept of the episode, i didn't like the context. felt very out of place to me.

this week was fantastic, and seemed to really get back to this season. finally checked back in with vito.. i thought his scenes were great.. "what i like to do is, i try to retrace my steps." i was caught off guard when he beat up johnny cakes in the parking lot, but his explanation made sense. calling home was probably a stupid move though.

AJ was MONEY this episode. fantastic from beginning to end. the blockbuster scene was great - reminded me of clerks.. AJ is facing a lot of pressure and expectations being the son of Tony Soprano, so he's trying hard to be something he's not.. from his miserable attempt at taking Junior's life, to picking up an $1800+ bar tab, even though he's barely getting by. in the end, he unintentionally ends up being just like Tony, while flat on his back in the restroom after a panic attack. i'm guessing that this condition is inherited, though the actual cause will be masked by his cocaine use. very interested to see what happens to AJ in the weeks to come..

was interesting to see the 'new Tony' apparently sell out for a piece of ass, and then pass up on said ass. the 'new Tony' gets a lot of credit for passing up on Julianna Margulies, though it seemed pretty obvious when Carm was dressing him before he left. loved how Tony was miserable when he got home, throwing a fit about the smoked turkey. pretty much a 180 after praising her in his therapy sessions..

i'd have to say this was one of the best episodes of what has been a GREAT season so far.
Old 05-01-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Every woman on television, bar none, will drop her dress in a second for the 'bad boy'. Whether she's a waitress, a lawyer, a cop, or in this case, a real estate agent. From the second Jullianna walked up to Tony I knew that she'd be having sex with him before the end of the episode. 'Hi, I'm a business woman, you must Tony Soprano, the mobster, lets have sex'. It's not like Tony had some super smooth sweet talk. He says 'I find you attractive' and she's all 'Youre very persuasive'. WTF? Maybe, just maybe, every woman in the world doesnt get weak in the knees when a murderer winks at her.
I don't think that we where supossed to believe that she was hot for Tony, It seemed pretty clear that she viewed it as nothing more than part of a business transaction.
Old 05-01-06, 11:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
And if I had to hear "Johnny Cakes" one more time, I was going to scream.
maybe you need some "Johnny Cakes"!
Old 05-01-06, 12:04 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I'm a huge Sopranos apologist and will usually defend any episode, but I cannot do it this time. For the first time I can remember, I wish I would have just read a recap than actually sat and watched it.
Odd, I've never found the need to apologize for the show, or any specific episode. However, in a season full of great episodes, this was possibly the best one yet. A classic episode, which can stand against the best of seasons one and two.
Old 05-01-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mkdevo

was interesting to see the 'new Tony' apparently sell out for a piece of ass, and then pass up on said ass. the 'new Tony' gets a lot of credit for passing up on Julianna Margulies, though it seemed pretty obvious when Carm was dressing him before he left. loved how Tony was miserable when he got home, throwing a fit about the smoked turkey. pretty much a 180 after praising her in his therapy sessions..

i'd have to say this was one of the best episodes of what has been a GREAT season so far.

i think he was just frustrated that he didnt have the sex and probably had a bad case of blue balls...
Old 05-01-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
i think he was just frustrated that he didnt have the sex and probably had a bad case of blue balls...

apparently, there's a deleted scene where he jerks off on the drive home
Old 05-01-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
maybe you need some "Johnny Cakes"!
[Donald Sutherland]"Excuse me, my microwave Johnny Cakes are ready."[/Donald Sutherland]
Old 05-01-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugg
I don't think that we where supossed to believe that she was hot for Tony, It seemed pretty clear that she viewed it as nothing more than part of a business transaction.
It may have started out that way... but based on her frustration of Tony's abrupt exit, it seems like by that time she was really into the idea.
Old 05-01-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Yes he was frustrated. But it wasn't physical frustration. It was a frustration with his inability to stay on one side of the fence or the other. He took his frustation out on Carmela because it was his new-found loyalty to HER that stopped him from going all the way with Julianna.

IMO, this was a pivotal episode in revealing the inner workings of Tony Soprano. Will he make the transformation or be yanked back?
Old 05-01-06, 02:09 PM

He was also trying to find something to blame Carm for, since he couldn't yell at her for being so nice buttoning up his shirt that he felt guilty when another woman started to unbutton it.
Old 05-01-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know how he feels everytime something gets in the way with me having sex with my real estate agent, i always come home and scream at my wife for not having any turkey in the house.
Old 05-01-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I thought this was a pretty darn good ep, not the best of the series or anything though. I like that they are addressing some of the issues with AJ and apparently wrapping up his revenge mission with Uncle Junior. And like others have said, I think this ep did a lot to say something about Tony, and more specifically the new Tony. And I LOVED the collection guys in the old neighborhood; that final line was classic.

But I still can't help but think of Morgan Spurlock every time I see the diner guy. I really thought Vito was going to end up killing him rather than sleeping him. I just feel like something isn't right with that old situation, like someone has another agenda that we don't know about yet. I even felt like the firefighters acted a little differently when Vito came over to join them. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
Old 05-01-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm waiting for Vito ask Johnny Cakes to Super-size him!
Old 05-01-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkdevo
AJ was MONEY this episode. fantastic from beginning to end. the blockbuster scene was great - reminded me of clerks.. AJ is facing a lot of pressure and expectations being the son of Tony Soprano, so he's trying hard to be something he's not.. from his miserable attempt at taking Junior's life, to picking up an $1800+ bar tab, even though he's barely getting by. in the end, he unintentionally ends up being just like Tony, while flat on his back in the restroom after a panic attack. i'm guessing that this condition is inherited, though the actual cause will be masked by his cocaine use. very interested to see what happens to AJ in the weeks to come..
Didn't AJ have a panic attack very early in the series, like either the first or second season?
Old 05-01-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Didn't AJ have a panic attack very early in the series, like either the first or second season?
Their is a family history of it ... thought it was a hanger of a line at the end...hmm. Been a while but I think he did when he played football right?
Old 05-01-06, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dvd182
Sure, he would get put into a precarious sexual position with her. It's happened a bunch of times, what makes this one any different? You would have preferred the writers putting him into a situation to show his new loyalty to Carmela how?
He really didn't show much loyalty & faithfulness to her. He put himself in that situation. He should have just 'wacked' off to his memory of her or thought of her while he was 'humping' his wife.

He did 'cheat' on his wife, because he allowed himself to go as far as his 'conscience' would allow him. If I did this to my future wife or she did it to me, I know that the other person would be very hurt.

But this is just the sign of times on how people view marriages in this country and why there is so much divorce. You can cheat as long as you are not caught cheating or as far as your conscience will let you!

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.