TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Mercy" -- 04/20/06

Old 04-20-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smallville -- "Mercy" -- 04/20/06

"Mercy"
Spoiler:
A masked tormentor takes Lionel hostage and makes him play a series of elaborate games in order to stay alive.

Cast: Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Allison Mack, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, Erica Durance, Ian Tracey.
Director(s): James Marshall.
Producer(s): Alfred Gough, Miles Millar.
Writer(s): Steven DeKnight .

Original Airdate: April 20, 2006.
Old 04-20-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to sound like a comic geek but what if 'Mercy' turns out to be the lady bodyguard for Lex later? She was in the cartoon as well.
Old 04-20-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Business should really pick up for these last 4 episodes
Old 04-20-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So...

They've sunk to ripping off "Saw" now?
Old 04-20-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A roll of aluminum foil and a blue light.

That must have busted the budget.
Old 04-20-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, I've only watched 20 minutes so far and this just flat out sucks. I liked it better when it was called Saw.

Oh, don't forget the Fantastic Four ripoff as well because that mask looks more like the villan from that movie than Saw.
Old 04-20-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There'd better be a pay-off to this Saw homage.
Old 04-20-06, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
What about the death of Lana? Not going to happen, but one can dream.
Old 04-20-06, 08:37 PM

I will never understand how this show can have such a great story to tell, yet consistently give us crap episodes like this. There have been some extremely strong episodes, yet the show frequently reverts to the land of extreme mediocrity.
Old 04-20-06, 08:41 PM

At this point, the only reason to watch Smallville are for the season premieres and finales. That's the only time they move along the Superman story.
Old 04-20-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let me guess - it's the guy he made the hot dog comment to?

Edit: DING DING DING DING WE have a WINNAR!!!
Old 04-20-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I will never understand how this show can have such a great story to tell, yet consistently give us crap episodes like this. There have been some extremely strong episodes, yet the show frequently reverts to the land of extreme mediocrity.
That's what annoyed me about this season. With the exception of 1-2 episodes, everything up to the death of Jonathan Kent was quite good (for Smallville standards.)

Then Pa Kent bit the farm, and it's been a total crap shoot since. I'm hoping that from what I've read about the last two episodes of this season will ramp up and save S5 from total destruction.
Old 04-20-06, 09:02 PM

Payoff -- Check.

I know Smallville sucks more often than it should, but I really liked this episode. Especially the last few moments. When Clark walked into Lionel's office, I thought, "Well here's a conversation that needs more than four minutes." But it was good.

And then the headache writing thing?...
Old 04-20-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, the final stanza in Lionel's office was pretty good, Tom Welling has come a long ways to pretty much pull off the "stay away from my momma" glare. So we finally know what Lionel knows, but then it looks like his brain was imploding, though what he was racing to write down, I guess we have to wait...
Old 04-20-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, the more I think about this season, all the character development has been in the last act of each episode. So, do something else for 45 minutes, then watch the last 15 or so.
Old 04-20-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Let me guess - it's the guy he made the hot dog comment to?

Edit: DING DING DING DING WE have a WINNAR!!!
I called it as well. Looks like I too am a weiner.
Old 04-20-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too bad they neglect the G's that Lionel and Martha would have experienced (i.e. slammed into the floor of their cage) when Clark stopped it dead in its tracks.
Old 04-20-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I read the spoiler for this episode, I figured that they'd do a saw rip but I was still hoping that it wouldn't be so similar to that movie.

I was terribly mistaken.

At least Papa Luthor is in the know now.
Old 04-20-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Too bad they neglect the G's that Lionel and Martha would have experienced (i.e. slammed into the floor of their cage) when Clark stopped it dead in its tracks.
Not only that, but my girlfriend was surprised that Clark's hands didn't go though the floor of the elevator.

Surprisingly, I didn't mind this episode. It was the first episode in a while that didn't make me feel dirty for watching. Perhaps it's was due to the lack of Lana - thank the Lord - or perhaps it's because I still haven't seen either "Saw" flicks.

Whatever it was...I liked it.

...in spite of the fact I knew it was Mr. Hot Dog too.
Old 04-20-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
clark should have jumped up, held onto the bottom and grabbed the side support and used his hand like a brake

the truth justice and the American way line was good
Old 04-20-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The subplots from the past few episodes were more interesting than the main plot, and tonight wasn't much different. But I guess they needed to develop Lionel's knowledge of Clark's secret somehow. But it was great to see the Lionel/Lex relation taking another turn for the worse, with the line about Clark being the good son.

At this point Lionel is still in somewhat a grey area for me. I don't trust his intentions either, but his motives aren't exactly clear, either. Also great was Clark's thinly veiled threat towards Lionel. It'll be interesting how that plays out.
Old 04-21-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Ok, I've only watched 20 minutes so far and this just flat out sucks. I liked it better when it was called Saw.

Oh, don't forget the Fantastic Four ripoff as well because that mask looks more like the villan from that movie than Saw.
Same here. I'm 18 minutes in and am totally bored. They are really out of ideas aren't they?
Old 04-21-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Actually, the more I think about this season, all the character development has been in the last act of each episode. So, do something else for 45 minutes, then watch the last 15 or so.
Funny, the same thing happened to me. I was playing basketball until 8:30, and by the time I got home it was 8:42.

After watching the show for 18 minutes, I thought "I only had to watch 15 min" and I saw the best part of the whole show.

And the last 15 of the whole show was GREAT!

I think he was writing info down about Clark, becuase he knew he was starting to forget.
Old 04-21-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, the best part was the confrontation scene at the end. So is Jor-El back in Lionel's head??
Old 04-21-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to complain about Smallville cause I do love the show but it sucks that we have to wait til the final five minutes to get any storyline movement.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.