Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Season 2 (BBC) General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Autotelik
I actually forgot that Anthony Stewart Head was guest starring in this episode until I started watching it.... I was that out of the loop. The school location, vampire-looking creatures, and the addition of ASH all made it so Buffy.
That and RTD has spoken of how Buffy was a major influence on his version of Doctor Who. The thing almost came off as a Buffy tribute episode.
I think like the previous series the third episode proper is the show's best foot forward thus far. Tennant is quickly growing on me and the Doctor I most think of when I look at him is Patrick Troughton with a little bit of Tom Baker thrown in for good measure. Not a slam for me as they are my favorite two Doctors. I loved how they used an older character to ask that question I've often asked myself over the years....what happens to the previous companions? Anyway, a great episode that I've already watched twice.
Old 05-03-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So, would it be heresy to say I already think I like Tennant better than Eccelston? I was *very* disappointed that Eccelston was leaving, he was wonderful. But Tennant's doctor has been glorious so far.

Not only is he cracking me up with his line delivery--I was busting a gut in the classroom scene with the students--moreso than any doctor since Baker, he's just funny. He's also brought a tear to my eye twice already... (When healing the lab-rat humans in ep1, and when making things right with Sarah Jane...)

I wonder if they're pushing the messianic subtext up to the fore for a reason? Suddenly they're focusing a lot on his compassion and empathy... his "pure heart(s)" as much as his sleuthing or fighting. Maybe it's just because Tennant just plays *kindness* so well... or maybe they're leading up to something with the increased doctor-as-god references... One way another, this is an easy doctor to fall for.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-07-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 11:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree that Tennant is very good. One advantage he has (for me) over Eccelston is that I've never seen him in anything but this, so it's easier to accept him as The Doctor. Hopefully he stays around longer than one season.
Old 05-03-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm surprised at the criticisms from longtime Who fans. I'm not one and thought you guys would have loved this episode. From what I've seen of the old show, I don't think it fair to criticize this episode for bringing characterization and motive to the characters (something I never really saw in the old show).

Perhaps this was less an attempt at classic Who continuity and more an attempt at furthering Rose's story with the Doctor?
I really enjoyed this episode and the return of Sarah. Just because she missed the Doctor or had feelings for him (or the adventure) doesn't make her any less independent or self assured (as someone had suggested earlier). Her scenes were wonderful and you really felt for her.
It was interesting to see how a companion deals without the Doctor after he leaves for good since the original show never did.
Who is up next Tegan?
Old 05-03-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Who is up next Tegan?
Janet Fielding has been very vocal about not returning to Doctor Who (nor even talk about it anymore) but sometime this year, she's going to do a one-off audio drama as Tegan for Big Finish Productions. Complete 360.

No matter what, everyone returns to Doctor Who eventually. Via TV, Video/DVD, Audio, Specials, whatever. They all come back.
Old 05-03-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did she get typcast? Why so vocal about Not returning and then...returning?
A Leela and Rose right might be interesting.
Old 05-04-06, 02:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
cool episode i enjoyed it. Tennant is growing on me as well as the goodbye with sarah jane was very touching
Old 05-06-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching The Girl In The Fireplace. A very odd, but enjoyable story and man, what a tearjerker ending.
Old 05-07-06, 01:19 PM

Each episode with this season two is stronger than the one before it and I find myself liking Tennant more & more. "The Girl in the Fireplace" is top-notch Who and top-notch science fiction. I'm really looking forward to the big box set in November.
Old 05-07-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bub2000
Any word on when CBC will show this? They were pretty good in season 1, they were only about a week or so behind.
As far as I can tell, the CBC will not show Series 2 until the fall!
Old 05-08-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd have to say "The Girl" is right up there among my favorite episodes from the new series.
Old 05-08-06, 09:49 AM

Is anybody here a member of Outpost Gallifrey? I'm trying to register, but it's constantly turned off. The front page notes that they'll turn it off on the weekends (makes sense), but it hasn't worked for me even on weekdays.
Old 05-08-06, 10:07 AM

I've been a fan of the series since 1984, and the first series of the new incarnation only intermittently impressed me, but this second series has been phenomenal. "Girl in the Fireplace" had some illogical plot points, but the rest more than made up for it. Just great stuff. And "School Reunion" fulfilled all expectations. And now the Cybermen coming back, I can hardly wait.
Old 05-08-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is anybody here a member of Outpost Gallifrey? I'm trying to register, but it's constantly turned off. The front page notes that they'll turn it off on the weekends (makes sense), but it hasn't worked for me even on weekdays.
I'm an age-old member of Gally. I haven't had any recent problems.
Old 05-08-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Doctor Who Triumphs at 2006 BAFTA Awards
TV Series News
May 7, 2006
Doctor Who was the main winner at tonight's prestigious industry awards, the BAFTA Awards (or British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards), taking all three of the awards for which it was nominated. Billie Piper and a Dalek accepted the award for Best Drama Series, as well as the Pioneer Audience Award for best television programme of 2005. Russell T Davies won the Dennis Potter Award for outstanding writing for television, which was presented to him by a kilted David Tennant. Davies is reported as saying, "We were told that bringing it back would be impossible, that we would never capture this generation of children. But we did it."

The BAFTA Awards ceremony will be televised from 9pm on Monday on ITV.

The show's success, alongside a number of other BBC successes, dominates much of the early coverage of the awards ceremony, with a two-minute report appearing on BBC News 24 and BBC One's evening news (also available online at BBC News); this report includes a brief clip of the Dalek arriving for the ceremony and David Tennant speaking to reporters on the programme's "cross-nation appeal". The Guardian appears to be making Doctor Who's awards front-page news, with "Doctor Who finally materialises on red carpet as TV series scoops drama prize" concentrating on the supposed previous lack of industry awards for the series, discussed by Russell T Davies in a recent Guardian podcast. (In fact, the series has won several industry awards, as previously reported by Outpost Gallifrey, although it missed out at the Royal Television Society Awards in March.)
Old 05-08-06, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm an age-old member of Gally. I haven't had any recent problems.
Sorry, what I'm asking is when do they plan to re-enable new membership registration? The main page says they'll allow it on weekdays, but that isn't the case. I was wondering if somebody "on the inside" could ask the question, since I can't even read their forums without registering.
Old 05-09-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doctor Who was the main winner at tonight's prestigious industry awards, the BAFTA Awards (or British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards), taking all three of the awards for which it was nominated. Billie Piper and a Dalek accepted the award for Best Drama Series,
that's so awesome, Doctor Who rules, can you imagine an american sci fi series winning best drama at he emeymys?
Old 05-09-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I'd have to say "The Girl" is right up there among my favorite episodes from the new series.
Really well done episode and Mickey wasn't too whiney either.
Enjoyed the girl who played the lead too. Guess she was in the Underworld movies as well.
Old 05-09-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed "the Girl" too, but I am getting a bit tired of everyone falling in love with the Doctor.

I think I can guess who RTD had a crush on as a wee boy. I guess that is the reason the new series is so Russose-centric.
Old 05-10-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, what I'm asking is when do they plan to re-enable new membership registration? The main page says they'll allow it on weekdays, but that isn't the case. I was wondering if somebody "on the inside" could ask the question, since I can't even read their forums without registering.

Huh.

Okay. How far can you get on the registration page? I'm already registered and (to test) I got all the way up to the creating a User Name & information section this morning.

Are you signing up and then getting an Error thingie or are you just not seeing what I'm seeing?

Give it another try. If it doesn't work, I'll e-mail Shaun Lyons and see what he has to say.
Old 05-10-06, 10:50 AM

I emailed yesterday and they opened up the registration page. I registered, verified my email and now I have to wait for an administrator to manually approve my account.

This better be the best forum ever. It's harder to get into than Studio 54!
Old 05-10-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I emailed yesterday and they opened up the registration page. I registered, verified my email and now I have to wait for an administrator to manually approve my account.

DVD Talk and Gallifreyone are my two favorite forums on the web, I'm sure you will love it.
Old 05-10-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"Girl in the Fireplace" furthered a big problem I’m having with this re-invention/modernizing Dr. Who.

In the beginning the Doctor’s sexuality was a non-issue because, for one, it was a kids show and, two, the first leads were all old men. However it carried over into the next younger characterizations. Even while the companions got sexier, the Doctor never gave them an amorous glance. This added to the Doctor’s alien-ness and I always felt it was one of the great points about the character, that his desires and interests lay beyond any kind of romance with those he crossed paths with.

With the new series it seems like a cheesy, hack modernized sell-out move. Suddenly he’s dancing and kissing hot chicks and, for the sake of their new take, they rewrite his and Sarah Jane’s relationship, making his severance with her more akin to a groom leaving his fiancee at the altar. It doesn’t do anything for me, its not dimension the character needed, and makes him, to me, more unremarkable and routine.
Old 05-10-06, 06:31 PM

While sexuality probably has a larger presence on the show now than it ever did in the past a few things bear mentioning. Not to be obvious but we do live in different times and there are reasons the show ran out of gas in the late 1980's. I'm not saying the sexuality makes the show better but it does put it more in line with the times. Second, the first Doctor's travelling companion was his grand-daughter which certainly suggests there was a Mrs. at some point in the Doctor's long existence. Finally, much has been made in the new series about the Doctor being the last of his race, doesn't that open the door to the logical extension of companionship? Or at least putting the issue on the table?
Old 05-10-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really consider the Docs behavior to be particularly sexual. Seems more tp me that he's lonely and just wants to spend time with someone who's smart and pretty that he can talk to. If I were suddenly the last of my kind I'd be doing the same thing.
I can certainly believe that after 900 years he's gone dancing or snogged with an attractive women before. It's just that the shows been traditionally aimed at a young audience, who doesn't want to see all that mushy stuff.

I seem to recall we saw a similar reaction when Jo Grant left to get married way back in the 70's.

Hey you're lucky. I've been a Who-fan since the mid eighties, but since I'm one of the unwashed masses who uses G-Mail, so I'm not allowed in. It's really rather discouraging.

Oh btw, nice cover on this weeks RadioTimes

Last edited by Panda Phil; 05-10-06 at 11:19 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.