Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Season 2 (BBC) General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
With 10 actors that have played him he is known to be Happy go Lucky. I think Eccelston was the first "Intense" Doctor.
10??? Where'd you get that number from its far more than 10.

Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
Baker
Davison
Baker
McCoy
McGann
Eccleston
Tennant <- So trite the way his name starts "ten" isn't it, so obviously faked

But we've also got
Hurndall
Cushing
Gattiss
Banks

to name but a few, there's been others as well. And that's only on TV/Film there's more still if we include audio
Old 04-21-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidoflondon
10??? Where'd you get that number from its far more than 10.

Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
Baker
Davison
Baker
McCoy
McGann
Eccleston
Tennant <- So trite the way his name starts "ten" isn't it, so obviously faked

But we've also got
Hurndall
Cushing
Gattiss
Banks

to name but a few, there's been others as well. And that's only on TV/Film there's more still if we include audio
Go ahead and get picky on me.
The book I just got (Doctor Who: Lengend contines) there are 10 actors on the cover (only from the TV show).
Old 04-21-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm guessing he meant the 10 Doctors that are canon.

Hurndall was just recreating Hartnell for The Five Doctors. Cushing's Doctor exists outside of the television show continuity (He's a human who has created his TARDIS). David Banks was only the Doctor for one night when Jon Pertwee stepped out during a performance of The Ultimate Adventure. And Gattiss' Doctor was done mainly for skit purposes.

It doesn't make their performances less entertaining (just watch The Curse of Fatal Death) but they are outside Who canon.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Trevor Martin!
Old 04-21-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm guessing he meant the 10 Doctors that are canon.

Hurndall was just recreating Hartnell for The Five Doctors. Cushing's Doctor exists outside of the television show continuity (He's a human who has created his TARDIS). David Banks was only the Doctor for one night when Jon Pertwee stepped out during a performance of The Ultimate Adventure. And Gattiss' Doctor was done mainly for skit purposes.

It doesn't make their performances less entertaining (just watch The Curse of Fatal Death) but they are outside Who canon.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Trevor Martin!
Yes. Yes. What you said. The 10 Doctors who are cannon.

Here's a picture of that book by the way.

Last edited by riley_dude; 04-21-06 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished watching Tooth and Claw. I liked it but it was pretty light on story. The episode really felt like a lead-in to something else. Like it's the set up story to bigger stuff later on down the road.

Spoiler:
A sly mention of Bad Wolf, the origins of Torchwood and the Royal Family being werewolves.

The direction was very interesting and something I'm not too use to seeing on Who. Tennant & Billie are fun together and look like they're having a ball. The attitude really makes a simple story seem more enjoyable.

Overall, a good episode.

Next week: Sarah Jane & K-9!
Old 04-23-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Maybe it's an RTD thing, but both episodes this season have suffered from a need for a longer timeslot to really flesh out the story.

It was an okay ep with some fun character bits, (The 'Ooot and Aboot' gag being kinda cute, and of course 'Doctor James McCrimmon') but nothing really special. Just the usual 'run around being chased by the monster until the Doctor comes up with a brilliant solution at the last minute'. *sigh* And we never really found out what happened to the warrior monks. I really wish the episode had had time to explored what they were all about.

Still the werewolf effects were first rate, and love the fact that the Doctors been unknowingly violating a royal decree for years.

And yeah, can't wait for next week!

Last edited by Panda Phil; 04-23-06 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

loved Tooth and Claw, great fun, solid story, classic Who. Tennent feels like the Doctor to me in this one! What I like about RTD is he can go from a silly fun story like New Earth to a scary as hell dark story like Tooth and Claw. (or maybe thats what I like about Doctor Who in general, each episode being so different from the next, yet it's the same show)

I agree that 45 minutes is a short time to tell a really great Doctor Who adventure. (note the top 2 fan favorite stories from last year are the more traditional 90 minute adventures, Empty Child and Bad Wolf) Tooth and Claw would have made a great 6 episode Troughton or Pertwee story... but of course the werewolf would have been crap!
Old 04-24-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A previous question asked what this seasons "bad wolf" will be? I think it's obviously going to be "Torchwood".

I think it's pretty cool that Torchwood gets it's origins where it does, but doesn't that sorta put the original series into a conflict? The Queen wants Torchwood to go into action whenever the Doctor appears. Well, he certainly had plenty of appearances in the years since, especially during the UNIT/Pertwee years. The problems of doing a "time" show, I guess.
Old 04-24-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More Spin-Off News:

K9 Back for Animated Spinoff

"He has been rusting in his kennel for too long," says today's Times. "Now K9 is taking centre-stage with his own £3 million animated series and a range of high-tech toys." In a rather unsurprising development to anyone who has followed the trail of rumors - first reported on Outpost Gallifrey, in fact, nearly two years ago - K9 will feature in a new animated spinoff series worked on by one of his creators, Bob Baker, and made by Jetix Europe. "Doctor Who's faithful robotic assistant, who will be reunited with his master on Saturday in a special guest appearance on the revived BBC show, will become a star in his own right -- equipped with a lethal blaster -- in a computergenerated series made in partnership with the Walt Disney Corporation. K9 Adventures will be a 26-episode comedy-fantasy series set in outer space. The new-look K9 is a galactic crime-fighter -- far removed from the underpowered pup given to Tom Baker in 1977. Bob Baker, co-creator of the robot dog, promises to give his pet 'a sleek new look using state of the art CGI animation mixed with live action'. The new series is being made by Jetix Europe, owner of 14 children's television channels, which are screened to 43 million households across Europe and the Middle East. Disney is the majority shareholder in Jetix, which hopes to distribute K9 Adventures through mobile phones as well as its UK television channel. The series may also be sold to terrestrial commercial broadcasters. Contractual obligations mean that the Doctor is unable to join K9 on his space mission -- Doctor Who is owned by BBC Worldwide -- but K9 Adventures is the property of Bob Baker, whose writing credits include the Oscar-winning Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit and Paul Tams, a veteran Doctor Who designer. Baker said: 'It's thrilling to be able to offer younger Doctor Who fans the chance to get to know K9. I believe they will love the 21st century K9 as much as past generations did when he appeared in Doctor Who.' K9 partnered the Doctor from 1977 until 1981, and Saturday's special episode features a reunion between dog, master and Sarah Jane Smith, Tom Baker's assistant, again played by Elisabeth Sladen. They investigate sinister events at a modern day school run by Anthony Head of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. An animated K9 allows his creators to rectify some original design flaws. When the metal mutt was first presented to Tom Baker's Doctor his motorised noise drowned out the actors. His painfully slow movement meant that the dog, with his catchphrase 'insufficient data', was often more hindrance than help."

Broadcast Online reports additional information not covered elsewhere, that Jetix Europe is developing the 30-minute comedy-fantasy series alongside London-based distribution outfit Park Entertainment, and their report also features the first indication of an official reaction by the BBC. "'We've completely revamped K-9,' said Simon Barnes, head of films sales at Park. 'Instead of being a clunky old model, he's now going to be CGI.' According to Barnes, Baker brought the project to Park Entertainment long before the latest series of Dr Who returned to the BBC. 'We saw it had merit and wanted to invest in it,' he said. 'We never knew quite how well the new Dr Who would do.' ... The original K-9 is set to appear in the BBC's new series of Dr Who later this month. However, the BBC can't launch its own spin-off series based on the character without Baker's permission. 'Dr Who is very important to us and we feel we have to manage the brand very carefully on behalf of our audiences,' said Michael Carrington, head of animation and programme acquisitions at BBC Children's. 'As the BBC is already committed to a number of spin-off projects, we concluded that a K9 series may simply be an extension too far.' Park has high hopes for the series, though, and Barnes has already begun discussions with other international broadcasters. 'Anybody who is interested in Dr Who at the moment is probably going to be beating a path to our door," he said. "Canada is a natural home and the same with Australia. You go anywhere English speaking, apart from the US, and they all know who Dr Who is and who K9 is.' The company is also looking at developing electronic toys, games and comic strips based on the character."

Also reported in the Belfast Telegraph, C21 Media, Euronext, the Daily Record, the The Independent.
Old 04-24-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. They sure are milking the franchise this time around. What's next a Musical Dalek special?
Old 04-24-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More on that K-9 Series:

Park Entertainment's involvement hearkens back to an October 2004 news report on the Outpost Gallifrey news page, which notes that, at the time, Park had teamed with Baker and issued a press release at the MIPCOM sales event in France that year. "Baker, who also wrote Aardman's Wallace & Gromit toon," said the news story at that time, "is working with Park's CEO Jim Howell to pitch the show to UK and international networks. The story follows 'a junk space ship led by a cynical old captain and a virtual reality female computer... After finding K9 in an abandoned spacecraft, and picking up an orphaned boy from a passing planet, they become a dysfunctional space-age family.' The proposed series would mix live-action and CGI, with K9 - who is 'cuddly in a robotic kind of way' - now able to morph into new shapes via a special dog collar. Howell and Baker, now in his late-60s, have attracted interest from networks in Canada and Australia. For the UK, Howell said that 'the BBC has some kind of first-refusal' on the spin-off show. 'We're aiming at the Dr Who market,' said Howell, regarding the show's target demo. 'Kids and adults love K9... If you can win both demographics with one show, you're really on to a winner.'"

Of course, there is no word as to whether or not how much of the original proposal noted here will be part of the final product. However, today, Jetix Europe also issued a press release that mentions Park's involvement, quoting Baker as saying, "I am absolutely delighted to be giving K9 a new lease of life and a new look for his own series," noting that kids today would love him as much as past generations. Howell is also still involved according to the Jetix press release, stating that "we feel that K-9 holds a very special place in the hearts of all Doctor Who fans and we are thrilled to be working with Bob, Paul and everyone at Jetix on the development and production of the series," giving the impression that the October 2004 story notes are likely the direction the series will take.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-24-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it last night. I enjoyed it. A step up from last weeks.
So, she is putting Torchwood into effect for people like the Doctor yet Captain Jack will be a part of Torchwood so how's that going to work? I certainly hope their will be a crossover episode between the two series.
Old 04-28-06, 03:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Im liking this series, both episodes to date have been good fun

Tennant is still growing on me but he's doing a good enough job.

Special effects are awesome for a tv show.

This show is rating through the roof in the UK
Old 04-28-06, 03:22 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't get this Torchwood , is there going to be a spin off series called Torchwood ?
Old 04-28-06, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I don't get this Torchwood , is there going to be a spin off series called Torchwood ?
Yessir. It's starting to film pretty shortly (if not already) and should be on in the fall. It'll star Captain Jack.
Old 04-28-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So far this season has been "good". I don't know; I should be jumping through the roof with new Who but the last two stories were kind of hollow. Effects were great, the ideas original, the people interesting, the settings in both episodes were marvelously depicted, but yet, something is missing. I think there's been too little character development of the Doctor so far.... in Tooth and Claw, I thnk Queen Victoria grabbed more of the spotlight than did Tennant. Tennant seems a bit erratic too. I don't know why this has been the trend lately, but there's no reason why the two new doctors have to act like they are bipolar.
Old 04-30-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK.... my previous post might seem a bit harsh on the new series, but having just seen School Reunion..... I am absolutely beaming with a huge smile on my face right now. That was one of the best episodes of Doctor Who I've seen in a long time. It was utterly magnificent. Truly scary villains, awesome soundtrack, and the reunion with Sarah Jane was quite emotional too. Really, I think this episode is up there with The Empty Child as one of the best new episodes so far. The pacing was great because we got introduced to the villains early on so there was plenty of time to unravel the plot. If there's a slight flaw at all, it might be the
Spoiler:
initial catfight between Sarah Jane and Rose and I didn't care much for Sarah Jane having deep feelings for the Doctor

Is it just me, or did this episode have a "Buffy" kind of atmosphere to it?

The next episode looks really good too. Can't wait.

And I've recently been catching up with Dr. Who Confidential as well for this season... watching that certainly gives me an added appreciation for the show and what goes on behind the scenes to make this current series a reality. The production values is just miles ahead of the old series.
Old 04-30-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with you, simply marvelous episode. Although maybe not always as fun as the old series, it has so much more depth to the characters. Sarah obviously loves that man in a way that's never ever been hinted at outside of old-school fan fiction.

Also the first aliens this season that I actually found interesting. The actor playing the headmaster was simply brilliant! Loved the pool scene. The show is so much more interesting when the Doctor has a competent villain to deal with. I wish there was a way of bringing him back. (Hmmm, I wonder how he'd look with a mostach and goatee?)

So admit it, who else got all teary-eyed during the goodbye scene?
Old 04-30-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Autotelik

Is it just me, or did this episode have a "Buffy" kind of atmosphere to it?
That's a silly question considering who guest stared as the Headmaster.

This episode had me warming up to Tennant as The Doctor. I'm beginning to like him as he can pull of that silly edge and snap back to seriousness better than Eccleston did.
Old 04-30-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually forgot that Anthony Stewart Head was guest starring in this episode until I started watching it.... I was that out of the loop. The school location, vampire-looking creatures, and the addition of ASH all made it so Buffy.
Old 04-30-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode was probably my least favorite so far, and I'm a big fan of classic SJS. I wonder if it was in Sladen's contract that all camara lenses must have at least a 1/4 inch of vasaline at all times? I doubt it, but I suspect the director thought he was doing her a favor by filming it as a Barbara Walter's special.

I also didn't like that they basically rewrote SJS's time with the doctor to give it a romantic angle that was hardly even suggested at the time. And they made Sara Jane seem a bit of a weakling after she left the Doctor. I have listened to a couple SJS audio's from Big Finish and while I didn't really enjoy the series due to the subject matter, I think the character was much better served. In the BF productions she was very confident, independent, and resourceful, in no small part due to her travels with the doctor.

There were some good bits in this story, like the Doctor talking about his near immortatlity and Sara Jane's final goodbye. The CG creatures were looking pretty good this week too. I really enjoyed a few of the shots of them scrabbling down the halls. Anthony Head Stewart did his usual good job, though I was hoping for something more. Seeing the Doctor and especially Rose "undercover" was pretty good too.

The plot was..eh. Apart from some good creatures, and the SJS and K9 inclusion, it was your standard runabout. They packed quite a bit into this one, so it really felt rushed and the main plot suffered. K9's return was underwhelming too. I wonder if SJS always keeps this broken down, rusty, super advanced piece of technology that she "can't show to anyone" under a blanket in the back of her station wagon, or had she finally broken down and decided to give the local TV repair show a go after poking around at the school a bit.
Old 04-30-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it last night. If ever a story were screwed due to time contraints, it would be this one. There's so much going on that a lot of the meaningful moments between the Doctor & Sarah (or Sarah & Rose) are too quick and not given enough time to resonate emotionally. I mean, the stuff they're trying to get across (the Doctor dumping Sarah Jane, the kind of relationship Rose is looking forward to in terms of a companion, Sarah waiting for the Doctor to return - nursing a broken heart) work to some level but it's all just out there - no real depth. Anthony Stewart Head and K9 don't really have much to do beyond hitting story points. Other than that, they sort of fade into the background (Tho Head does get to open his mouth wide and hiss a lot). All that an Mickey too.

Spoiler:
The idea of cracking the code of the universe is neat. Too bad it's mentioned at the very end and dealt with in like 5 minutes.

I'm not saying I didn't like the story. Sladen was just as good as she was back in the day and she manages to bring out some emotion we're not too use to seeing in Sarah Jane. There just wasn't enough time to get emotionally involved in the return of two major Who characters. Everytime a discussion came up that started drawing you in....they quickly move in with the plot. If any story needed to be expanded to 60 minutes or a two-parter, this one should have been it. Rush Rush Rush.

Again, I enjoyed it enough but wished for more.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-30-06 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I wished it could've been expanded as well. But, it was great to see both Sarah Jane and K9 again. I was sorta hoping Sarah Jane took the Doctor up on the offer and came aboard for a few adventures.

What a perfect casting choice in "Giles" for the headmaster.

Anybody else see the Confidential for this episode? It filled in the history of Sarah Jane pretty well for those of us who's memories aren't the best anymore.

Question: The Doctor was recalled to Gallifrey after dropping Sarah Jane off. What was the result of that recall? (and are either of those stories on DVD?)
Old 05-01-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm surprised at the criticisms from longtime Who fans. I'm not one and thought you guys would have loved this episode. From what I've seen of the old show, I don't think it fair to criticize this episode for bringing characterization and motive to the characters (something I never really saw in the old show).

Perhaps this was less an attempt at classic Who continuity and more an attempt at furthering Rose's story with the Doctor?
Old 05-01-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I still don’t see much to fawn over with Tennet. His Doc characterization doesn’t have anything special about him that we haven’t seen before. Might as well throw a big ol’ scarf around his neck and give him an afro (okay maybe he’s a little cheerier, but still).

I thought the eps so far have been okay, still striking an unsteady balance between Who’s standard hokey, pulp sci fi and the newer dramatics spin. They don’t quite gel with me in the same way the marriage of the two did in something like Buffy.

I really don't care about the whole Bad Wolf, Torchwood conspiracy mythology they are trying to weave into the show. I guess they figured, "If it worked for X-Files, it'll work for us." It just seems like another modernized geek hook they want to bait viewers with. I, personally, dont need it. Give me a monster of the week adventure, some fun, some anarchy, and I'm okay.

Originally Posted by Chew
Question: The Doctor was recalled to Gallifrey after dropping Sarah Jane off. What was the result of that recall? (and are either of those stories on DVD?)
That would be The Deadly Assassin, where the Doc has to thwart The Masters assassination plot against the President of Gallifrey. And since the Doc is in exile, a rogue, not supposed to be on his home planet, that kind of complicates things. Not on DVD. You can read an ep synopsis at http://www.drwhoguide.com/

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-01-06 at 02:58 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.