Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Nightmares + Dreamscapes" - Episode list, Cast details (spoilers)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-23-06, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait! Wonder if these will make up for Masters of Horror (TNT means no gore, but gore didn't save the other...)

From darkhorizons.com, original here :

Turner Network Television (TNT) is putting the summer on ice with its chilling all-star television event NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES: FROM THE STORIES OF STEPHEN KING. This four-week collection of eight mind-bending tales from the master of horror, set to premiere in July. The following is the line-up of eight one-hour stories included in TNT's NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES:

Umney's Last Case
Directed by Rob Bowman (Reign of Fire, Elektra); teleplay by April Smith (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) After the death of his son, writer Sam Landry (William H. Macy) is so desperate to lead another life, he writes himself into his own book, forcing his long-time character (also played by Macy) to change places with him and live in the modern day. But things get deadly when Landry realizes he is trapped and cannot write himself out of his new reality.

The End of the Whole Mess
Directed by Mikael Salomon (TNT's Salem's Lot); teleplay by Lawrence D. Cohen (Carrie, Stephen King's It) The world had changed. Violence, war and hatred and replaced with kindness, peace and love. But at what price? Renowned filmmaker Howie Fornoy (Ron Livingston), with just one hour to live, recounts the details of his brother's (Henry Thomas) worldwide experiment gone terribly wrong.

Crouch End
Directed by Mark Haber (Border Patrol, Alien Cargo, Daises in December); teleplay by Kim LeMasters (Threshold) A newly wed American couple (Eion Bailey and Claire Forlani) honeymooning in London goes to Crouch End to have dinner with a friend. They soon learn the town is not what it appears to be, and the more they get lost, the more they become trapped in another dimension.

The Fifth Quarter
Directed by Rob Bowman (Reign of Fire, Elektra); teleplay by Alan Sharp (Rob Roy, Reversible Errors) Willie (Jeremy Sisto), a just-released convict, learns from his dying friend of a map in four parts that reveals the location of $1 million from a robbery. Seeking revenge for the death of his friend and the money, as well, Willie hunts down the others who hold the remaining three parts to the map, risking his family and his freedom. Samantha Mathis co-stars.

Autopsy Room Four
Directed by Mikael Salomon (TNT's Salem's Lot); teleplay by April Smith (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) Businessman Howard Cottrell (Richard Thomas) is on vacation playing one of his many games of golf. Chasing the ball into the undergrowth, he is bitten by a snake and completely paralyzed, showing no signs of life. At the hospital, unable to communicate, he is the key witness to his own autopsy. Greta Scacchi co-stars.

You Know They Got a Hell of a Band

Written and directed by Mike Robe (News at Eleven, Guts and Glory: The Rise and Fall of Oliver North). A wrong turn on a lonely road turns frightening for Clark and Mary Willingham (Steven Weber and Kim Delaney) as they stumble upon a town not on any map - Rock and Roll Heaven, Oregon. There is a free concert every night, but the price of admission is high - once the audience enters, it can never leave.

Battleground

Directed by Brian Henson (Farscape, Muppet Treasure Island); teleplay by Richard Christian Matheson (Mobius, It Waits) John Renshaw (William Hurt), a professional hit man, successfully murders the CEO of a prestigious toy company only to face the biggest fight of his life when a package from the toy company is delivered to his house with surprising, deadly contents.

The Road Virus Heads North
Directed by Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (TNT's Into The West, Invasion, Taken); teleplay by Peter Filardi (Salem's Lot, Flatliners) Richard Kinnell (Tom Berenger) is a famous writer who, at a doctor's visit, learns he may soon have to deal with his own mortality. On the drive back to his home, he buys a mysterious painting. Each time he looks at it, it changes to become more menacing and sinister. He pieces together that the painting is trying to kill him...but not if he can destroy it first. Marsha Mason co-stars.

Five of the adaptations for NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES come from King's 1993 anthology of the same name. The Road Virus Heads North and Autopsy Room Four come from King's 2002 anthology Everything's Eventual, while Battleground comes from 1978's Nightshift
Old 03-24-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is very cool! You could do an entire series run on Steven King stories alone.
Old 03-24-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or even Stephen King...
Old 03-24-06, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent!
Old 03-24-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This sounds cool, I'm a sucker for all things king. I have a section of my dvds for sk movie adaptations, even the sucky ones, but I'm still missing a few mostly because of OAR issues.
I hope this comes out on dvd at some point not too far in the future, as I will probably miss this when it's on tv. 4 weeks of watching the tube in july? I doubt that!
Old 07-07-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Just a reminder. I've caught a couple promos on TNT. The series begins this Wednesday July 12, at 9/8c

The first episode is Battleground starring William Hurt

http://alt.tnt.tv/nightmares/nightmares.shtml
Old 07-07-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope this is good. King's television miniseries are typically very poorly done and often quite silly, so I'm hoping the short-story format will work better. They definitely landed some good guest stars.

das
Old 07-07-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
King's EARLY short story books rocked
Old 07-08-06, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Oh man, I always loved the "Battleground" story (especially the ending.) I'm interested in seeing how that comes across on TV.
Old 07-08-06, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
"Umney's Last Case" is my favorite of King's recent short stories. I'll jump up and down like a madman if this adaptation sucks.

Having William H. Macy in it is a definite plus!
Old 07-08-06, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
"Umney's Last Case" is my favorite of King's recent short stories. I'll jump up and down like a madman if this adaptation sucks.

Having William H. Macy in it is a definite plus!
Agreed.

Reading Battleground now (all 10 pages of it ).

Looking forward to this series!
Old 07-08-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cannot wait to see "The End of the Whole Mess" - it's one of my favorite King short stories. Kinda wish that HBO or Show Time was doing the series, though - TNT + Stephen King = watered-down crap, usually.

Surprised at the selection of short stories, though. You'd figure that the network would want to do the 'Salem's Lot tie-in, where the main character leaves his family on the side of the road after their car breaks down, and walks to a bar for help, where he learns of the town's horrible secret. Can't remember the name of the story for the life of me, though. Would have also like to see "Dolan's Cadillac," although there have been rumors about a feature-length version for quite some time. I think it would work well as a short. "Gramma" and "The Boogeyman" scared the pants off me as a teenager, I remember - I'd like to see "Gramma" filmed by George Romero, and "The Boogeyman" remade by the guy who made the original student film (it was available on VHS for a long time), to see how 30 years may have changed his perspective on life and kids.

I'll be watching, nevertheless. King's short stories are so tight. Much, much better than his novels. Hopefully these short films follow suit and are better than their feature-length TV counterparts.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 07-08-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
I'd like to see "Gramma" filmed by George Romero,
"Gramma" has already been made once:

http://www.unfilmable.com/Gramma_review.html
Old 07-08-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Surprised at the selection of short stories, though. You'd figure that the network would want to do the 'Salem's Lot tie-in, where the main character leaves his family on the side of the road after their car breaks down, and walks to a bar for help, where he learns of the town's horrible secret. Can't remember the name of the story for the life of me, though.
Jerusalem's Lot.

It's the first story in the Night Shift anthology.
Old 07-10-06, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
Oh man, I always loved the "Battleground" story (especially the ending.) I'm interested in seeing how that comes across on TV.
I caught this in an advance screening on Saturday night. It was faithful to the short story but also had a few new scenes to extend it a bit. It was fun and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Last edited by verbal1062; 07-10-06 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-10-06, 09:38 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I hope this is good. King's television miniseries are typically very poorly done and often quite silly, so I'm hoping the short-story format will work better. They definitely landed some good guest stars.

das
The good thing is most of those previous adaptions were done by Mick Garris, and he's busy running Masters of Horror on Showtime.
Old 07-10-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mistyped "ruining"

das
Old 07-10-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see Crouch End, my favorite from Nightmares and Dreamscapes being represented. This one needs to be handed masterfully - it requires a light touch on revelation and a good mastery of mystery otherwise it's going to be awfully done.
Old 07-10-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks good, so far all of the stories I like. I hope it does weel so they can adapt some of my favorites (especially from his first book).
Old 07-12-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only seen one or two reviews, but it sounds like this should be a good series. The pilot sounds to be one of the better ones. I think I also read it should be commercial-free.
Old 07-12-06, 09:09 AM

Battleground and Crouch End both air tonight at 8 CT.

Official site: http://www.nightmarestnt.com/
Old 07-12-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I need to remember to set the dvr tonight. Haven't even turned it on since the(my) tv season ended back in May.
Old 07-12-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Positive review in today's NY Times.
Old 07-12-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oooh... I thought Crouch End was going to air some other day. Glad I'm not missing this one.
Old 07-12-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When's the last time, if ever, a full hour of television had zero dialogue? Buffy and "Hush" came close, but still opened and closed with talk. "Battleground" didn't have any.

A bit drawn out, but the pilot was certainly entertaining enough. Better than most of the King movies we've had lately. No really saying much, I know.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.