TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DIRECTV Sports Pack

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIRECTV Sports Pack

I'm thinking of adding it.
How much is it per month and is it worth it ?
Old 03-23-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
You mean the one w/ all the FSN networks? No, not worth it. Any sports on those channels is blocked out unless you are in that region. So, unless you have a desire to see the sports report for the different regions, waste of money.
Old 03-23-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only 3 channels on the sports tier that are worth anything are ESPNU, CSTV, and Fox Soccer Channel (if you're into such things)
Old 03-23-06, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Struz
I'm thinking of adding it.
How much is it per month and is it worth it ?
Only reason to add it would be if you wanted to see a lot of college sports from other regions. You also get CSTV and ESPNU.

I get it from Oct-Mar for college hockey games, and it's worth it for that purpose alone.
Old 03-23-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
If you don't subscribe to any other premium channels, it's $12 a month. If you call and ask for any current "subscriber deals for the sports pack", you can get it for $2 a month for 6 months.

I've done this a couple of times, because I live in NW Ohio and don't get Fox Sports Detroit I get Fox Sports Ohio. With the Sports Pack, I get FSD and Tigers games are not blacked out. All other MLB games on other RSNs are blacked out though.
Old 03-23-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
It's not worth it for most people IMO. The only reason I keep it is for TVG.
Old 03-23-06, 10:23 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I have it for Fox Soccer Channel, OLN and Speed.
Old 03-23-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't get it. Why would the games be blocked out if you don't live in the same region? I thought the main reason why games get blocked out was to discourage people from just watching the game on TV, and to attend the game in person (which means bigger profits). So if I live in Boston and want to watch the game in Denver, how would that adversely affect them?
Old 03-23-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sinned
I don't get it. Why would the games be blocked out if you don't live in the same region? I thought the main reason why games get blocked out was to discourage people from just watching the game on TV, and to attend the game in person (which means bigger profits). So if I live in Boston and want to watch the game in Denver, how would that adversely affect them?
Because there is money to be made by everyone with the subscriptions to MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB League Pass, NHL whatever....
Old 03-23-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sinned
The owners of your local pro teams don't want you watching pro sports from other cities instead of watching your local team. If you don't live within a certain distance of a pro team (50 miles maybe?) then you probably won't have anything blacked out.
Old 03-23-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking of getting it mainly for MSG so I can watch the Rangers and Yes network for Yankee games.
Old 03-23-06, 02:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I was considering this to get NESN so I could watch Red Sox games.
Old 03-23-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Again, you can't get any major league sports on these channels unless you live in the region they are broadcasting.

For example, I live in Phoenix. I can get all the Diamondbacks/Suns games on FSN when they play. If you are living in anywhere that isn't in this region, the games are blacked out.
Old 03-23-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Again, you can't get any major league sports on these channels unless you live in the region they are broadcasting.

For example, I live in Phoenix. I can get all the Diamondbacks/Suns games on FSN when they play. If you are living in anywhere that isn't in this region, the games are blacked out.
Is that just for FSN or for all the sports channels including MSG and YES ?
So as lomg as I live in the NY area I can watch all the Ranger and Yankee games ?

Last edited by Struz; 03-23-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but if you're in the local market you might get those anyways. I don't have the Sports Pack, but, living in South Florida, I do get Fox Sports Florida and the Sunshine Network.