Louis Lombardi (24's Edgar Stiles) interview [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louis Lombardi (24's Edgar Stiles) interview [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

I found this amusing.

from TheStar.com:

Some characters can't get a break
Was it a mistake for 24 to kill off Edgar?
Mar. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM
VINAY MENON

At first, Louis Lombardi was okay with it.

I mean, when you're an actor on 24 (Fox, 9 tonight; Global, 10 p.m.), there's no such thing as job security. It doesn't matter if you play a civilian, a terrorist, a government agent, a former president, or even the wife of Jack Bauer — death is a constant possibility.

Lombardi learned this in December, when producers told him the clock was ticking on his popular character, Edgar Stiles. Sure enough, poor Edgar crumpled to the ground after inhaling poison gas during last week's shocking episode.

Immediately after, fans flocked to discussion forums and online shrines to commiserate. Edgar? Dead? The big lug ... killed? No!

Lombardi was bombarded with email. Everybody was asking the same question: why did they have to kill Edgar?

As Lombardi opened letter after letter, as he lurked on message boards gauging reaction, he started to wonder if producers had made a mistake.

The wonder turned to something else after Lombardi read a story in USA Today, in which executive producer Howard Gordon acknowledged that Edgar became more vulnerable as his appeal grew, a statement that baffled the 38-year-old actor.

"I thought his comments were very ignorant," Lombardi tells me, his voice crackling with un-Edgar passion. "I thought the comments were annoying. When I read that article I said, `This guy makes no sense.' My character was loved more than any character on that show and you kill him?

"I told my fiancée, `Read this comment. It's so arrogant and annoying.' What was he saying? It almost offended me — I got to be honest with you — as an actor and a person because it didn't make any sense.

"At first I was like, `Well, you guys do what you have to do. Whatever's good for the show.' But when I'm reading his comments, it's like I almost want to tell him, `You're a moron. You're talking like an idiot.'"

Here's the thing: "I took those comments as a personal attack toward Louis and not Edgar," adds Lombardi. "That's the way I feel as of now."

As you might imagine, he hasn't discussed this with Gordon, though he has only praise for the way he was treated during his run: "The show has been nothing but fabulous to me."

It's that damn three-letter question he can't escape.

"I don't know why they did it," he says. "And, to be honest, I think it's a silly move. I think it's a move that they will probably regret. The character was so loved it's not even funny."

So CTU's stout intelligence analyst — he of the Brooklyn accent and unrequited love for dour Chloe — is no more. Gone, as it were, in the office that consumed his life.

Edgar cracked codes, exposed moles, foiled terrorist plots and even lost his mother during a nuclear meltdown, before his demise at 6:59 p.m. on this Very Bad Day. "Oh my God," whispered Jack (Kiefer Sutherland), from behind the protective glass of CTU's sealed situation room as Edgar wandered into sight at precisely that moment, exposing himself to the toxic gas.

Edgar coughed, stumbled and collapsed. Jack bowed his head. Chloe's (Mary Lynn Rajskub) eyes moistened with tears. And viewers gasped as Edgar's lifeless body segued into a rare silent clock.

The short, unhappy life of Edgar Stiles had come to an end.

"I didn't want to go out like such a depressed soul and die with such negativity," says Lombardi.

"The character never had any bright spots in his life. The character never had any happiness. He didn't get the girl, he couldn't save his mother and he gets gassed."

For some reason, we both start laughing.

Looking ahead, Lombardi says he would be eager to reprise his guest role as an FBI agent on The Sopranos, which began its final season last night.

He's also getting ready to pitch a single-camera comedy about small-time hustlers in New York, which he will write and produce.

"I'd much rather be on my own show," says Lombardi. "You have more creative say in what goes on."

Yes. And who gets to live.
By the way, here is the USA Today article he's referring to.
Old 03-15-06, 02:26 PM

What the hell is he talking about, "loved more than any character on that show". Everyone i know hated his character. The only character worse than him is Chloe.
Old 03-15-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by esc24
What the hell is he talking about, "loved more than any character on that show". Everyone i know hated his character. The only character worse than him is Chloe.
Here, here!
Old 03-15-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I didn't hate his character, but I certainly didn't love his character either.
Old 03-15-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
re: this past Monday's show. if you ain't seen it, don't read this.

Spoiler:
Well, after reading this on Ausiello today, he has a slight point.

Spoiler:
Yeah, Tony's toast. Carlos Bernard confirms it himself in the new issue of TV Guide, saying, “Creatively, the writers have done all they could do with Tony.”
Now, i'm not sure if Gordon said this, but if he did, it's clear they're going for "shock" value.

However, that "so loved" comment is far from true. Maybe in another season or two [a la Chloe], but not now.

Oh, and "The character never had any bright spots in his life. The character never had any happiness." Life's like that sometimes, skippy. It sucks, but it's true.
Old 03-15-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
From the USA Today article:

Executive producer Howard Gordon says he has no regrets.

"It was a tough decision but really the right decision," since producers needed to underscore the terrorist threat. "To keep it honest with the audience that anything is possible, sometimes people have to leave."

Gordon acknowledged that in the 24 universe, Edgar became more vulnerable as his appeal grew. As he told Lombardi just before the episode was filmed in December: "The good news is you're one of the best characters on the show; the bad news is that, unfortunately, we have to kill you now."

"I hope people will understand, I hope they'll be affected by the loss and I hope they'll miss him," Gordon says. "Because if they do, we'll have all done our jobs."
From the Louis Lombardi coments posted above:

"At first I was like, `Well, you guys do what you have to do. Whatever's good for the show.' But when I'm reading his comments, it's like I almost want to tell him, `You're a moron. You're talking like an idiot.'"

Here's the thing: "I took those comments as a personal attack toward Louis and not Edgar," adds Lombardi. "That's the way I feel as of now."
Louis Lombardi, You're the one talking like an idiot.
Old 03-15-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by esc24

booooooooooooooooooo. Chloe is my favorite on the show. and I loved all the bitchiness between Chloe and Edgar.
Old 03-15-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not exactly sure where Lombardi is coming from on this. It doesn't jive at all with his demeanor in the behind-the-scenes clip on the official 24 website where he seems perfectly calm about Edgar's passing(although he did acknowledge it was a very sad moment).

As far as the "other" death is concerned, that's absurd that he was knocked off because the writers couldn't come up with anything else to do with him. Gee, how about he avenge the death of a loved one and THEN get killed?
Old 03-15-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
how about he avenge the death of a loved one and THEN get killed?
personally, i would find that incredibly boring, especially if you are talking about killing Henderson (whatever his name is, the Peter Weller character). 24 already has a bad habit of following a trail from bad guy to bad guy and bumping each one off down the line. for once it would be interesting to have some evil mastermind escape elude capture or death for a few seasons.
Old 03-15-06, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
for once it would be interesting to have some evil mastermind escape elude capture or death for a few seasons.
You mean like Nina? Or Mandy? Or even that Max dude on the boat, although we still don't know for sure what happened to him?
Old 03-15-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Nina was a mole, Mandy was/is a mercenary. Neither could be considered a criminal mastermind. I don't remember Max, though.
Old 03-15-06, 05:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"The character never had any bright spots in his life. The character never had any happiness. He didn't get the girl, he couldn't save his mother and he gets gassed."
For me, that's what gave his death more impact and made it that much more tragic and emotional.
Old 03-15-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You mean like Nina? Or Mandy? Or even that Max dude on the boat, although we still don't know for sure what happened to him?

Max was caught. The first episode of season 3, when Palmer is rehearsing for the debate (when anticipating a question from Keeler that the attempt on his life has weakened him as a leader) Wayne mentions that he should say it was his administration who later caught the man behind the attempted assassination (meaning Max).

and Max was in a whole 2 episodes......quite a major player!

Nina was a mercenary. she never masterminded a single damn thing.
same with Mandy.
Old 03-15-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Nina was a mole, Mandy was/is a mercenary. Neither could be considered a criminal mastermind. I don't remember Max, though.

that's because Max was in a whole 2 episodes and had like 3 speaking lines. He ended up being the person who was above Peter Kingsley in the whole season 2 plot.

I agree, both Nina and Mandy just did things for money. They never planned anything on their own.

and Mandy was in what? 5 episodes total over a span of 4 seasons? (only appearing in three of them).
Old 03-15-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can people tell me why they liked Edgar and/or Chloe? I just think when you have an intense, taut show dealing with terrorism, it's dumb to cut to CTU and see people arguing about petty things.

It just always bothered me that we would see Jack trying to track down a nuclear bomb or see him chasing after a terrorist who has nerve gas or seeing the President having to make a huge, urgent decision...only to cut to CTU with Edgar getting upset at Chloe that she used a tone of voice that he deemed unacceptable and hurtful.

I just found that whole dynamic to be ridiculous, and I would laugh at those scenes. And when I'm watching a action/drama about terrorism, the last thing I want to be do is laugh. For jokes, I'll turn on a sitcom.
Old 03-15-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Edgar was my favorite new character.
Old 03-15-06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
Max was caught. The first episode of season 3, when Palmer is rehearsing for the debate (when anticipating a question from Keeler that the attempt on his life has weakened him as a leader) Wayne mentions that he should say it was his administration who later caught the man behind the attempted assassination (meaning Max).
We don't know for sure they caught Max. I still don't know how Mandy managed to elude the authorities for 4 1/2 years. They had a clear shot of her face in the footage taken during the attempt on Palmer's life. She was the last one to shake hands with the guy before he went to his car. And on top of that, she was apparently living in the same city where she tried to kill him!
Old 03-15-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We don't know for sure they caught Max.
Who else would that comment I mentioned been referring to if it was not Max? He ordered the assassination attempt through Mandy. Wayne said the man responsible was caught (sometime during those three years that passed between seasons 2 and 3).
Old 03-15-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you get a gig on 24, don't make long term plans. It's that simple. I liked Edgar, but you know, he died and the show moved on. It's 24.
Old 03-15-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by areacode212

Agreed. Chloe could have at least acknowledged edgar's love for her or something..the guy deserved some sort of nugget.
Old 03-15-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was a little upset they killed off Edgar, but more bummed that on Monday
Spoiler:
Tony died. Aside from Jack, he was probably my favorite "returning" character on the show.
No big deal though, it's friggin' TV.
Old 03-15-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would a spoiler warning in the thread title be asking too fucking much?
Old 03-15-06, 11:42 PM
Banned

Edgar is loved? He was one of the two worst "good guy" characters introduced last year, the other being Driscoll. Yet with the show replacing 99.99% of CTU every season, they chose to bring Edgar back?

If there's any death people are pissed off about, it's Tony -- it sure as hell isn't Edgar.
Old 03-16-06, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Would a spoiler warning in the thread title be asking too fucking much?
I considered it, but figured that with both "Louis Lombardi (24's Edgar Stiles) is PISSED~!" and "(spoilers for last week's 24)" in the thread title, most people with a brain would put 2 & 2 together just from looking at the title, and that anyone who was behind on watching 24 would avoid clicking on a 24-related thread. Sorry for overestimating you

Anyway, I thought Lombardi's "My character was loved more than any character on that show" quote was the best part of the article. In the USA Today piece, he mentions that when he goes out, everyone buys him drinks and dinner and gives him hugs. I suppose that could really skew one's perspective into thinking that you're the most loved character ever. Kiefer must be laughing his ass off.
Old 03-16-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by areacode212
I considered it, but figured that with both "Louis Lombardi (24's Edgar Stiles) is PISSED~!" and "(spoilers for last week's 24)" in the thread title,
Yet you don't have "(spoilers for last week's 24)" in the thread title. As written, one might expect an interview with Louis Lombardi being pissed about any number of things to do with the show, not directly related to such recent plot developments. That's what spoiler warnings are for.

most people with a brain would put 2 & 2 together just from looking at the title, and that anyone who was behind on watching 24 would avoid clicking on a 24-related thread. Sorry for overestimating you
You might want to watch it with the thinly-veiled personal attacks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.