Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- The Final 12 -- 03/14/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home tomorrow night?
Mandisa
3.16%
Ace Young
2.11%
Lisa Tucker
0%
Katherine McPhee
2.11%
Bucky Covington
17.89%
Chris Daughtry
0%
Elliott Yamin
1.05%
Kevin Covais
48.42%
Kellie Pickler
5.26%
Melissa McGhee
20.00%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The twelve finalists perform before the judges and the TV audience. Tonight's theme is Stevie Wonder songs.

Pick the person that will be going home tomorrow night. I have excluded Taylor Hicks and Paris Bennett from the poll.
Old 03-14-06, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My favorite song by Stevie is superstition. There's only a couple of these people that can sing it. I just hope it's not one of the ones that can't.
Old 03-14-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The twelve finalists perform before the judges and the TV audience. Tonight's theme is Stevie Wonder songs.

Pick the person that will be going home tomorrow night. I have excluded Taylor Hicks and Paris Bennett from the poll.
Don't know why you would exclude Paris from the poll. I think the tide is really turning on her and she is not such a given anymore. Since this is both guys and gals and anyone could go, I think Chris is a sure bet to stay for quite a while. Or at least Katherine for the girls. Paris is losing a fan base, according to threads.
Old 03-14-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Don't know why you would exclude Paris from the poll. I think the tide is really turning on her and she is not such a given anymore. Since this is both guys and gals and anyone could go, I think Chris is a sure bet to stay for quite a while. Or at least Katherine for the girls. Paris is losing a fan base, according to threads.
The limit is 10 per poll.
Old 03-14-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The limit is 10 per poll.
I believe his point is that theres about 3-4 people who should not be a poll option before Paris...since she is approaching the cusp
Old 03-14-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I believe his point is that theres about 3-4 people who should not be a poll option before Paris...since she is approaching the cusp
My point is that for this week and next, the three likely candidates to leave are Kevin, Bucky and Melissa, so if I excluded Paris on the poll this week, does it make a big difference anyways?
Old 03-14-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My favorite Stevie Wonder song is Overjoyed, which has been done to death on the show. I wonder if anyone has the gumption to tackle it again.

Hoping that Taylor will do Part Time Lover.
"Da da da da da WHOO da da da da WHOO da da da WHOO!"
Old 03-14-06, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

That was my point exactly! I just thought to keep the 2 favorites off the poll (which I know is subjective..but easily Taylor and Chris over Paris). I would have actually voted for Paris, but I think she is safe for this week anyway.
Old 03-14-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

now that they're at the final 12, are there 2 shows a week now? And only 1 person goes home each week? Just looking for clarification, thanks
Old 03-14-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show will air Tuesday and Wednesday with one person going home Wednesday night.

Tonight's show is two hours while tomorrow is a half hour show.
Old 03-14-06, 09:12 AM

My point is that for this week and next, the three likely candidates to leave are Kevin, Bucky and Melissa, so if I excluded Paris on the poll this week, does it make a big difference anyways?
You're right...In two weeks there will be room for everyone. I just think Paris is so overrated I was looking forward to a little bashing. But I agree, she is not going home this week.
Old 03-14-06, 09:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Excellent idea for a theme, since if there's one thing this show needs it's more Stevie Wonder songs.

This genre may prove problematic for Bucky and Chris, possible Melissa and Kellie too.

Kellie should sing "I Just Called to Say I Loved You" and afterwords declare "Even though I ain't never seen a 'telly-fone' before, I just had to sing this song for my Pa." She'd get a bazillion votes no matter how bad the performance.
Old 03-14-06, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Excellent idea for a theme, since if there's one thing this show needs it's more Stevie Wonder songs.

This genre may prove problematic for Bucky and Chris, possible Melissa and Kellie too.

Kellie should sing "I Just Called to Say I Loved You" and afterwords declare "Even though I ain't never seen a 'telly-fone' before, I just had to sing this song for my Pa." She'd get a bazillion votes no matter how bad the performance.
Ha ha! I'm still laughing on that one!

I hope, hope, hope that someone sings "Knocks Me off My Feet" my favorite Stevie song. I'm thinking that is right up Ace or Elliot's alley. There are some harder edge songs for Taylor and Chris to tackle. I hope they go with the more obscure songs and not the tried, true and overplayed songs.
Old 03-14-06, 11:19 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cringed when I heard what the theme was, as frankly I'm beginning to hate Stevie Wonder songs. They're good when Stevie does them, but the songs generally sound so sappy and bad when covered by anyone else. Especially "My Cherie Amour", which is just a terrible song without Stevie's distinct vocals behind it. They should be putting a moratorium on his songs for overexposure, not dedicating a whole night to them.
Old 03-14-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
This theme reminds me from the scene in Waynes World, where they are trying out guitars in the guitar store and just as they were about to lay down some chords, the manager tells them to look up at the sign "no stairway to heaven"

thats what this show needs, "no stevie wonder"

I like stevie as much as the next guy, but come on, enough is enough, no mas!
Old 03-14-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
"Higher Ground" for Chris!
Old 03-14-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
This genre may prove problematic for Bucky and Chris
Chris will be just fine, Red Hot Chili Peppers-style
Old 03-14-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will fall out of my chair if anyone does "I'm Wonderin'" which is my favorite least-known Stevie Wonder song. It's as good as any of his up-tempo songs IMHO.
Old 03-14-06, 02:25 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I will fall out of my chair if anyone does "I'm Wonderin'" which is my favorite least-known Stevie Wonder song. It's as good as any of his up-tempo songs IMHO.
That'd be a great song for Elliot.

Since Taylor plays harmonica I want to see him spazz out and do Fingertips Part 2.
Old 03-14-06, 03:01 PM

Do you think they get advice from the vocal coaches as to what song suits their style, or do you think they pick it themselves? I've been wondering lately, cuz a lot of them have done a poor job picking songs for themselves.
Old 03-14-06, 03:16 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a producer who helped them pick songs.
Old 03-14-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Well, I'm picking Kevin aka Chicken Little aka that guy who sings with a lisp to go home tonight. As it is, I cannot believe he has gotten this far. I would have much rather seen Will make it to this spot. UGH! But there's always one person who I can't believe makes it as far as they do. I guess that's Kevin this year.

As for Paris, she floored me with her audition. I love the jazzy voice she showed off then. Since then, though, I haven't seen the same spark from her. I guess I just don't like her doing pop songs as much as I like hearing her sing jazz-style numbers. Maybe that's because I'm more of jazz fan than a pop fan though.

And I agree with everyone that this show needs LESS Stevie, not more. My friend and I were just commenting last week how sick we were of hearing people perform Stevie Wonder songs. And now a whole night of them?
Old 03-14-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, I hate Stevie Wonder night... Oh well, maybe tonight will be the night Stevie finally goes home, if not hopefully McGhee will be gone.
Old 03-14-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I cringed when I heard what the theme was, as frankly I'm beginning to hate Stevie Wonder songs. They're good when Stevie does them, but the songs generally sound so sappy and bad when covered by anyone else. Especially "My Cherie Amour", which is just a terrible song without Stevie's distinct vocals behind it.
Except when Eddie Murphy did it on SNL
Old 03-14-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why ya'll trashing Steve Wonder?? They guy's a musical genius!!

I'll take his classic 70's albums anytime over the disposable shit we hear on the radio today

Last edited by shanester; 03-14-06 at 06:03 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.