TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Apple iTunes to sell monthly TV show subscription

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apple iTunes to sell monthly TV show subscription

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060308/...medycentral_dc

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes music and video store on Wednesday took its first step toward a monthly subscription model with a new service called Multi-Pass that lets users buy TV shows on a monthly basis.

The service is being launched by iTunes in partnership with Viacom Inc.'s Comedy Central cable network, which is rolling out "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" on the service.

Fans will be able to buy the next month's series of 16 new episodes via Multi-Pass for $9.99, or to pay $1.99 per episode. Four episodes air each week and viewers can download each episode after it's been broadcast.

TV shows and other video have been available for sale on iTunes since late last year. Comedy Central announced a relationship with iTunes six weeks ago with shows including "South Park," "Drawn Together" and "Comedy Central Stand-Up."

Michele Ganeless, executive vice president at Comedy Central, said there would be no advertising on the service for the time being, similar to the network's DVD business.

Apple has so far resisted calls from media companies and competitors to adopt a monthly subscription fee favored by the likes of Napster and Real Networks Inc.'s Rhapsody, preferring an a la carte download model where music tracks cost 99 cents and videos $1.99.

Videos downloaded from the iTunes Music Store can be played back on a personal computer or an Apple iPod portable media player, among other devices. More than 8 million videos have been sold since it launched at the end of last year.

Shows including Walt Disney Co.'s "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" were among the first to be made available on the service.

Reuters/VNU

Chris
Old 03-08-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I guess I don't see it as the first step but as THE step - they offer ala carte and "bundle" pricing. Don't think it'll ever get to the "gotta pay my iTunes bill" point that other services already offer.

Seems like a great idea, BTW. Especially for those that only watch a few shows. Get them up to at least full NTSC resolution and we'd really be talking.
Old 03-08-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
But TDS and TCR offere a lot of streaming content on their Comedy Central website for free...why would I pay for it? Aside from the demo appeal, it just doesn't make sense for these two shows.
Old 03-08-06, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm... why should I pay $10 for a subscription to a show when I can just record them (along with any other show) on my TiVo ($13 a month) to skip the commercials and watch them whenever I want to? I just don't get it, unless you don't have Comedy Central to begin with.
Old 03-08-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
Hm... why should I pay $10 for a subscription to a show when I can just record them (along with any other show) on my TiVo ($13 a month) to skip the commercials and watch them whenever I want to? I just don't get it, unless you don't have Comedy Central to begin with.
You can easily put them on your iPod and watch them on the subway, or something.
Old 03-08-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
Because people are

1) stupid
2) wanna look cool
Old 03-08-06, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Because people are

1) stupid
2) wanna look cool
I'll pick # 2 for me!

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Because people are

1) stupid
2) wanna look cool

well geez, why should I buy a cd I can listen to on the radio??

Why should I pay for a movie ticket when I can see the film on TBS in four years?

Why should I go out to eat when it would be much cheaper to make it from scratch at home?

Seems like a lot of stupid questions. If anything, I'm one that enjoys to have a lot of options instead of fewer ones. Perhaps you wont enjoy it or take advantage of it, but for many it's nice to have that option.
Old 03-09-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd be all over this if they offered HBO shows.
Old 03-09-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
well geez, why should I buy a cd I can listen to on the radio??

Why should I pay for a movie ticket when I can see the film on TBS in four years?
These points make no sence since the DVR option is at a HIGHER quality than the downloads, while the radio and TBS are at a LOWER quality.

this actually might be the worst comparison on DVDTalk since the abortion/neuter pet thread
Old 03-09-06, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
These points make no sence since the DVR option is at a HIGHER quality than the downloads, while the radio and TBS are at a LOWER quality.

this actually might be the worst comparison on DVDTalk since the abortion/neuter pet thread
It's certainly not great quality or anything, but it is mean for the on-the-go people. This is great for traveling.
Old 03-09-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They look fine on the iPod. They also look just like OTA when I hook the iPod directly into the SVideo on the TV.

Like Goat3001 said, give me Deadwood without having to get raped for a full HBO sub and I'm there.
Old 03-09-06, 09:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's makes no sense to you because you're applying your own criteria to this. Calling people "stupid" or "wanna look cool" because this option is available is just being ignorant and condescending.

If you think about it, it has nothing to do with "high quality" or "low quality" at all (esp. since the bulk of the show is someone talking from behind a desk). Personally, I don't seeing the episodes having much replay value (since it's so current news based), so convenience seems to be the standout factor here.
Old 03-09-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
a new service called Multi-Pass

Old 03-09-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by greydt
Calling people "stupid" or "wanna look cool" because this option is available is just being ignorant and condescending.
You left out TRUE
Old 03-09-06, 01:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by greydt
It's makes no sense to you because you're applying your own criteria to this. Calling people "stupid" or "wanna look cool" because this option is available is just being ignorant and condescending.

If you think about it, it has nothing to do with "high quality" or "low quality" at all (esp. since the bulk of the show is someone talking from behind a desk). Personally, I don't seeing the episodes having much replay value (since it's so current news based), so convenience seems to be the standout factor here.
I actually think the daily show is a good show for something like this, I like to tune in and watch it occasionally, have a sp on my tivo for it, its the perfect show for watching while on the bus, or train to work, short, and fun.
Old 03-09-06, 01:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You left out TRUE
Wow, I guess there's no way for me to respond to an insightful retort like that.

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I actually think the daily show is a good show for something like this, I like to tune in and watch it occasionally, have a sp on my tivo for it, its the perfect show for watching while on the bus, or train to work, short, and fun.
It sounds like the Multi-Pass might skew more towards "disposable" entertainment - meaning the shows will probably be erased at some point by the user. That is, unless someone out there doesn't mind having 200+ episodes of the Daily Show on their IPod after a year (yeesh, how big is 20+ minute episode size-wise?)

Overall, I'm curious to see what other shows they might try with this.