Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

60 Minutes / global warming

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60 Minutes / global warming

Sunday night Feb.19, 60 Minutes ran a story called "Global Warning.". This story had scary video of glaciers melting, icebergs breaking up and polar bears looking for food. Pretty scary stuff, except for the one big fact CBS does not tell you. On the 60 Minutes webpage a link on the left takes you to "Journey to the Arctic", a behind-the-scenes look at the CBS crew's trip. Just as I suspected, the video was shot in August 2005. The hottest time of the year. Of course the ice was melting.

***Quote***

60 Minutes got a bird's-eye view of how unstable the ice is becoming on a flight with glaciologist Carl Boggild. Boggild anchored 10 research stations to the ice. Every time he comes to visit, the ice and his stations have moved.

***End quote***

Of course his stations have moved. They are on a glacier - in August.

I have worked in the television industry for 23 years and I now teach video production in a high school. The students that work on our newscast were stunned when I showed them the video and then told them when it had been made. One student assumed it had been shot the week before it aired. He is a Global Warming believer but even he was shaked by the deception. The students know how quickly a news "package" can be made and put on the air. Real reporters at real TV stations do one every day. My students get a week to 8 days to create a finished story because of their limited access to equipment. CBS apparently needs almost 6 months to get a story done.
Why the deception? Certainly running a Global Warming story in August would create more sympathy because of the real heat outside. But no one would be shocked to see melting ice in August. Why not sit on the story until February, the coldest month of the year? Reach your own conclusions as to why there was such a delay. It would seem the text was not convincing enough without having to mislead the viewer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1323169.shtml
Old 02-27-06, 09:49 PM

Yep, global warming is a media conspiracy.
Old 02-27-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is modern media

you have to scare people and make a story to get your point across instead of presenting a bunch of facts and letting people make up their mind
Old 02-28-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ClayDVD
Just as I suspected, the video was shot in August 2005. The hottest time of the year. Of course the ice was melting.
The concern about global warming is that there is a lot more pack ice melting during the summer than there used to be. In the "60 Minutes" story, the reporter even says that the concern for the polar bears is that the ice "is breaking up three weeks earlier" in the summer.

The polar caps are still cold enough in winter months to stay frozen, but the summers are getting warmer, causing ice mass to retreat farther and farther north, earlier in the year. There was no representation made by "60 Minutes" about when this story was shot, and anyone who knows anything about TV knows it wasn't shot the day before it aired.

The students know how quickly a news "package" can be made and put on the air. Real reporters at real TV stations do one every day. My students get a week to 8 days to create a finished story because of their limited access to equipment. CBS apparently needs almost 6 months to get a story done.
You're comparing apples to oranges, and your use of the words "real reporters at real TV stations" is telling.

It's like comparing a daily newspaper on a 24-hour news cycle to a weekly or monthly magazine. Surely if you've worked in the industry for any length of time you know the difference. Magazine reporters, for example, often have months to work on a single, in-depth story. Even at larger newspapers, sure, there are those breaking news stories you write in a couple of hours, but there are also in-depth stories that reporters spend weeks on. I know reporters at the Chicago Tribune who see their bylines once every two or three months.

"60 Minutes" isn't on a 24-hour news cycle. Just like every other TV news magazine I'm familiar with, they spend weeks or even months working on stories.

Why the deception?
"60 Minutes" didn't claim that the story was shot in February. In fact, most of the discussion was about summer ice melt. So, I don't see any deception.

Reach your own conclusions as to why there was such a delay. It would seem the text was not convincing enough without having to mislead the viewer.
My conclusion is that you don't believe in global warming and brought your own biases to the story. You should teach your students not to jump to conclusions without having solid facts to back them up, regardless of their personal beliefs.

This would be an excellent learning opportunity for your students. As their teacher, you should contact CBS News' media relations department in New York, explain that you teach a high school class in video production, and that you and your students are curious about how this particular piece came together. Ask how long the typical story takes from concept to broadcast. The class should discuss what they hear, then reach an educated conclusion.

Otherwise, you're really only preparing your students for careers at Fox News.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 02-28-06 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-28-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you listen to the media and all the loonies out there, they would have you believe that the Earths climate should never change. It is demanded to remain the same for all eternity. If it doesn't, it's all your fault and we're all going to die.

For the short period of time since the formation of this little rock the climate has always been in a constant flux from hot to cold and cold to hot. It's a natural cycle and we can't do dick about it. That's where the loonies come into play. Their fears of not being in control has to create a measure of control with fear and hype. Much like when religion was created to control society when people were stupid.

One of the things that the media and loonies like to ignore or dismiss is the fact that we have a large number of active underwater volcanoes today compared to less than 10 fifty years ago. Add to that the fact that the sun is more active and hotter than it has ever been in modern times.

"Global Warming" or whatever you want to call it is real, but guess what? You have nothing to do with it. Momma Earth is just doing what she's always done. This doesn't mean we shouldn't conserve and be more friendly to our environment. Because we should as most of what we do now is toxic to us. But please, let's not pow wow around a false belief that we can control what the earth does or does not do.

Did Dan Rather have any play in this show?
Old 02-28-06, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tazwolff
That's where the loonies come into play.
Loonies? The vast majority of scientists and climatologists in the world agree that global warming is taking place and man has caused it.

Every country in the planet is in favor of a greenhouse gas/global warming treaty except for the United States.

Our Vice President is being sued by our government because of secret meetings he had with energy companies to come up with our energy policy.

The loonies are running this country.
Old 02-28-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/blo...l.php?id=12587

'60 Minutes' Presents 'Waterworld': CBS Reporter Drowns Out Dissent on Climate Change

By: Ken Shepherd
Posted 02/20/06
03:59 PM

Who needs NBC’s coverage of Olympic ice dancing when CBS was thrilling viewers with visions of “Waterworld”? No, not the 1995 Kevin Costner clunker, but an apocalyptic “60 Minutes” report awash with flooded beaches and melted polar ice caps.

“The North Pole has been frozen for 100,000 years, but according to scientists, by the end of this century, that won't be true anymore. The top of the world is melting,” co-host Scott Pelley ominously opened his February 19 report, later suggesting the melting was irreversible. “There may be no stopping it. Arctic warming is accelerating. It's a chain reaction. As snow and ice melt, they reveal dark land and water that absorbs solar heat. That melts more snow and ice and round it goes.”

The “60 Minutes” co-anchor’s segment on global warming was spurred by a recent study in the journal Science that pegged faster-than-expected melting of glaciers in southern Greenland to global warming. But that view is not universally held in the scientific community, contrary to the impression Pelley gave viewers with his report, which featured only scientists who blamed climate change for faster glacial melting.

University of Virginia climatologist Pat Michaels attributes the speed-up in glacier melting to a climate cycle which usually runs over a period of 20-30 years. “Temperatures fluctuations around Greenland are part of a phenomenon – known as the Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation (AMO) – that connects with temperature changes further south, in the hurricane formation regions of the tropical Atlantic,” wrote Michaels, a senior fellow for environmental studies at the libertarian Cato Institute. “The AMO goes through, as its name suggests, multi-decadal swings …When the AMO is in its positive (warm) phase, the Atlantic hurricane seasons become active with more and stronger storms; and, apparently, Greenland's glaciers flow faster and dump more ice into the ocean. When the AMO is in its negative (cool) phase, hurricane activity in the Atlantic is suppressed and Greenland's glaciers flow slowly.”

Correlating a change in the AMO 11 years ago with a change in glacier melting, Michaels concludes that there “is no need to invoke global warming for any of this.”

Pelley’s report came a few days after one-sided reporting on the same topic by ABC’s “World News Tonight” and The Washington Post. The Free Market Project has extensively tracked media bias on climate change, including a one-side documentary special on Fox News Channel in November 2005.
When Pelley was asked why he allowed no dissenting voice, he said:

http://newsbusters.org/node/4144

"There is virtually no disagreement in the scientific community any longer about global warming," he says. "The science that has been done in the last three to five years has been conclusive...There's just no longer any credible evidence that suggests that, a, the earth is not warming or, b, that greenhouse gasses [sic] are not the cause...

"It would be irresponsible of us to go find some scientist somewhere who is not thought of as being eminent in the field and put him on television with these other guys to cast doubt on what they're saying," he continues. "It would be difficult to find a scientist worth his salt in this subject who would suggest this wasn't happening. It would probably be someone whose grant has been funded by someone who finds reducing fossil fuel emissions detrimental to their own interests."
Once again we are fed the Big Lie that the case for Anthropogenic Global Warming (that humans' CO2 emissions are the primary cause of global warming) is conclusive, that there is a "consensus" and only a few fringe, nut scientists in the pay of industry dispute it. Yet the alarmists are funded a thousand times more (billions vs. millions) in grants by government and environmental groups than the skeptics get from industry grants. Furthermore, the alarmists know that if they were to stop... alarming, their grants would dry up in a second. So which side is potentially more motivated by money?

The fact is that there remains an enormous dispute, the skeptics' numbers are much higher than the mainstream media will ever let you know, and many of the skeptics are among the most prominent in climatology and related fields. (See http://www.envirotruth.org/myth_experts.cfm.)

60 Minutes is up to its same old tricks which go back at least to when they sycophantically assisted the National Resources Defense Council into frightening mothers into taking apples away from their children and greatly harming the apple industry by promoting the Great Phony Alar Scare of 1989. 60 Minutes, as most of the mainstream media, sucks up and regurgitates whatever is fed to it by the environmentalists.

Last edited by movielib; 02-28-06 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-28-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I actually prefer this global warming nonsense to the nuclear winter nonsense I used to have to bear.
Old 02-28-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 02-28-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Morf

Also:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...Fencoding=UTF8

Last edited by movielib; 02-28-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-28-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to admit, that while watching the documentary in question, I actually wondered about the footage of the melting ice. It surely brings home the fears of global warming in ways that mere words cannot describe. I wondered if the footage was reflective of the entire region. Was it more north or south? Is this something occurs naturally every year, but was put into the documentary for dramatic effect.

I blame Michael Moore for jading my trust in documentaries. I used to assume that what was shown was always a fair reflection of how things are. Now I know that video/audio bites are used all the time to drive home a particular point.

Nothing new, I know. And Michael Moore did not invent the process. I have to smirk at myself now, watching an adverturer bravely entering a cave, not knowing what dangers await him. And then the camera switches to show him entering the cave from inside the cave. Gee, I guess the camera man is the brave one, since he came in first.
Old 02-28-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
Loonies? The vast majority of scientists and climatologists in the world agree that global warming is taking place and man has caused it.

Every country in the planet is in favor of a greenhouse gas/global warming treaty except for the United States.

Our Vice President is being sued by our government because of secret meetings he had with energy companies to come up with our energy policy.

The loonies are running this country.
yes, only the evil scientists funded by oil companies don't believe in global warming.

We just came out of a mini-ice age in the mid 1800's. Maybe that is why the climate has been warming since that is when records have begun? Or maybe the volcanic explosion in 1816 and the results of the year without a summer have had something to do with it as well?

Last edited by al_bundy; 02-28-06 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-28-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Otherwise, you're really only preparing your students for careers at Fox News.
Even Fox News aired a totally one-sided alarmist global warming show in November.

http://www.junkscience.com/nov05/Fox...al_warming.htm

FOX Caves to the Global Warming Crowd
By Patrick J. Michaels
November 15, 2005

Forget “fair and balanced” on global warming. FOX News has caved to the global warming crowd, agreeing to air a “documentary” more one-sided than anything I’ve seen in the entire sad history of climate change journalism.

In fact, FOX management concedes that the program is biased. Clay Rawson, producer of the show “The Heat Is On,” recently admitted to Cybercast News Service, “Often on FOX News Channel, we present both sides, according to our ‘fair and balanced’ motto, but this is the global warming story”.

Much of the FOX documentary is filmed in Alaska, and there is considerable footage of retreating glaciers at Glacier Bay National Park in the southeastern part of the state. Glaciers there have been receding ever since John Muir first publicized them in the 19th century.

Thanks to the gold rush and the salmon fishing industry, the region offers some pretty good long-term temperature histories near Glacier Bay, from weather stations at Annette Island, Sitka, Juneau, and Yakutat. Averaging these stations from 1900 onward (and noting that the records have some gaps, and the Annette record only begins in 1940) reveals that there is no regional temperature trend—upward or downward—whatsoever when the entire 20th century is examined.

Study of average temperature across the entire huge state does find a significant jump in temperature in 1976. Climatologists have long debated the cause of that jump, which is known as the “Great Pacific Climate Shift,” and no computer model for human-induced global warming has ever simulated the event. However, since the jump, averaged Alaskan temperatures show no trend either upward or downward. That’s three decades, during the era in which there should have been the greatest changes because of carbon dioxide emissions.

That’s what makes the FOX telecast so frustrating—it presents a very simplistic conception of climate science. Consider the comments of FOX reporter Richard Folbaum on FOX’s Web site: “After months of research and interviews with experts, I’ve learned this simple fact: The earth is heating up. And it’s happening much faster than ever before. No one can argue with this.”

The first sentence is hardly news. Averaged across the globe, the planet has warmed about 0.8 degrees centigrade in the last 100 years. And humans have had something to do with the increase. But it’s difficult to square the data with global warming proponents’ claims that humanity has set in motion some sort of environmental Armageddon.

There are two periods of global warming in the last century, of roughly equal magnitude. The first one, which was especially strong in the artic, occurred from 1910 to 1940—too early to attribute to human causes. The second, beginning in the mid-1970s (note that it skipped Alaska), has a human component that is evident from the correspondence between global warming theory and the geographical distribution of temperature change.

But, with that said, Folbaum’s last two sentences are totally indefensible. Around the boundaries of the ice ages (which is where we still are), temperatures are known to go on some pretty wild excursions. In 2001, researcher Feng Hu wrote in the esteemed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that there were three periods in Alaska in the last 2,000 years that have been as warm as the current era. And just last year, researcher D. Kaufmann wrote in another respected journal, Quaternary Science Reviews, Alaska is roughly 2 °C cooler than during the period 9,000 to 11,500 years ago, when humans first settled there.

It wouldn’t just be “fair and balanced” for FOX to note those findings as part of its documentary; it would be the truth. Further, if FOX were really interested in the whole story, it would have noted that the reality of global warming tells us much about the future, and that the future is hardly dire.

We have spent billions of taxpayer dollars constructing various computer models of climate change. They predict different rates of warming, but they share a common behavior, which is that once human-induced warming is established, it takes place at a constant rate. So, all one has to do in order to estimate future warming is to know how fast it is warming now.

Indeed, since the human-attributed warming trend began some 30–35 years ago, the rate of global temperature rise has been remarkably constant. (A constant warming, by definition, cannot be “much faster than ever before”. The rate in the last ten years is the same as the previous ten years, etc, and also equals the rate observed in the early 20th century).

This constant rate projects the same amount of warming in the next 50 years that was experienced in the last 100, or in the range of 0.75 degrees centigrade. That’s hardly gloom and doom, because we lived well and prospered during the warming of the last 100 years. That prosperity will not be reversed by additional warming of the same order of magnitude.

None of those points will be made during the FOX telecast. Apparently, when it comes to global warming, “fair and balanced” does not apply.
Old 02-28-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
When Pelley was asked why he allowed no dissenting voice, he said:
The same thing was said by the producer of the National Geographic show on the evolution of man. Had Neanderthals wearing clothing, advanced tools, and a number of the other bipedal primates as well. It is not new for those who subscribe to an idea to think that everyone believes it.

Anyway, I can't believe how easily swayed everyone is on this. I was told in the 70s that we were headed into another ice age, and I'm sticking to that.
Old 03-01-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm still waiting for archeological evidence of the SUV's that caused the Medieval Warm Period.
Old 03-01-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I was in a discussion the other day with some well educated, no agenda types (faculty and staff here at the college) and the concensus was that the Earth's planetary systems were so huge that they were only seriously influenced by massive forces (as in beyond human capacity to generate), and that, in terms of geological time, we could burn down all the forests, remove all the catalytic converters, increase cattle populations by a factor of 100, dump all our raw sewage and toxic waste into the oceans, and nuke the shit out of the continents ending 90% or more of all land-bound life, and the Earth would shrug it all off and return to modern baselines in a few hundred thousand years. We are in much more danger from our planet than it is from us.
Old 03-01-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Patrick J. Michaels!

Michael Crichton!

No Steven Milloy.
Old 03-01-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork
Patrick J. Michaels!

Michael Crichton!

No Steven Milloy.
Here you go:

Last edited by movielib; 03-01-06 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New study shows just how bad the Greenland/Antarctica situation is:

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO.../V9/N10/C2.jsp

Greenland and Antarctic Contributions to Sea Level Rise Reference
Zwally, H.J., Giovinetto, M.B., Li, J., Cornejo, H.G., Beckley, M.A., Brenner, A.C., Saba, J.L. and Yi, D. 2005. Mass changes of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and shelves and contributions to sea-level rise: 1992-2002. Journal of Glaciology 51: 509-527.

What was done
The authors determined changes in ice mass "from elevation changes derived from 10.5 years (Greenland) and 9 years (Antarctica) of satellite radar altimetry data from the European Remote-sensing Satellites ERS-1 and -2."

What was learned
Zwally et al. report that "the Greenland ice sheet is thinning at the margins (-42 ± 2 Gt a-1 below the equilibrium-line altitude (ELA)) and growing inland (+53 ± 2 Gt a-1 above the ELA) with a small overall mass gain (+11 ± 3 Gt a-1; -0.03 mm a-1 SLE (sea-level equivalent))." Likewise, they say that "the ice sheet in West Antarctica (WA) is losing mass (-47 ± 4 Gt a-1) and the ice sheet in East Antarctica (EA) shows a small mass gain (+16 ± 11 Gt a-1) for a combined net change of -31 ± 12 Gt a-1 (+0.08 mm a-1 SLE)." Hence, they report that "the contribution of the three ice sheets to sea level is +0.05 ± 0.03 mm a-1." Furthermore, although not impacting sea level, they note that "the Antarctic ice shelves show corresponding mass changes of -95 ± 11 GT a-1 in WA and +142 ± 10 Gt a-1 in EA."

What it means
We often hear horror stories about the potential for Greenland and Antarctica to add many meters to the level of the seas in response to global warming. However, Zwally et al. put things in proper perspective by noting that the real-world data they processed indicate that the ongoing contribution of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets to sea-level "is small relative to the potential contribution from ice sheets." How small? At the current sea-level-equivalent ice-loss rate of 0.05 millimeters per year, it would take a full millennium to raise global sea level by just 5 cm, and it would take fully 20,000 years to raise it a single meter. In addition, Zwally et al. report that "the contribution of the ice sheets is also small compared to the most recent estimate of current sea-level rise of 2.8 ± 0.4 mm a-1 from satellite altimetry (Leuliette et al., 2004)," which in their words, "further confounds possible explanations of the causes of contemporary sea-level rise."

In conclusion, the real-world findings of Zwally et al. suggest that the climate-alarmist hype about global warming causing sea levels to rapidly rise to dangerous heights due to the mass wasting of earth's great ice sheets is simply false. This outrageous claim is nothing more than a scare tactic designed to persuade the public to accept the bitter pill they prescribe for the solving of a patently obvious non-problem.

Reference
Leuliette, E.W., Nerem, R.S. and Mitchum, G.T. 2004. Calibration of TOPEX/Poseidon and Jason altimeter data to construct a continuous record of mean sea level change. Marine Geodesy 27: 79-94
Reviewed 8 March 2006
Here is the abstract:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00175/art00001

Changes in ice mass are estimated from elevation changes derived from 10.5 years (Greenland) and 9 years (Antarctica) of satellite radar altimetry data from the European Remote-sensing Satellites ERS-1 and -2. For the first time, the dH/dt values are adjusted for changes in surface elevation resulting from temperature-driven variations in the rate of firn compaction. The Greenland ice sheet is thinning at the margins (−42 ± 2 Gt a−1 below the equilibrium-line altitude (ELA)) and growing inland (+53 ± 2 Gt a−1 above the ELA) with a small overall mass gain (+11 ± 3 Gt a−1; −0.03 mm a−1 SLE (sea-level equivalent)). The ice sheet in West Antarctica (WA) is losing mass (−47 ± 4 Gt a−1) and the ice sheet in East Antarctica (EA) shows a small mass gain (+16 ± 11 Gt a−1) for a combined net change of −31 ± 12 Gt a−1 (+0.08 mm a−1 SLE). The contribution of the three ice sheets to sea level is +0.05 ± 0.03 mm a−1. The Antarctic ice shelves show corresponding mass changes of −95 ± 11 Gt a−1 in WA and +142 ± 10 Gt a−1 in EA. Thinning at the margins of the Greenland ice sheet and growth at higher elevations is an expected response to increasing temperatures and precipitation in a warming climate. The marked thinnings in the Pine Island and Thwaites Glacier basins of WA and the Totten Glacier basin in EA are probably ice-dynamic responses to long-term climate change and perhaps past removal of their adjacent ice shelves. The ice growth in the southern Antarctic Peninsula and parts of EA may be due to increasing precipitation during the last century.
Wow, the three ice sheets seem to be contributing a net sea level rise of .05 mm/year or 5 cm in a thousand years (note that these three ice sheets are not the only contributions to sea level rise).

I don't know about all of you but I'm heading for the hills before it's too late.

Now I don't know how good or accurate this study is but what is obvious is that the scare stories of many meters sea level rise in just a century told by the alarmists and hyped by the media are by no means proven. The fact that studies such as this one by Zwally et al. are ignored by the press speaks volumes regarding the politicized state of climate science today.