Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Saving Surface and Project Nim

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There won't be any new episodes to discuss if we don't do everything we can to let NBC and the advertisers know that it has a lot of fans and we want a second season.

There's a new website where all of the info is available

www.savesurface.com

This has links to all of the petitions, website, boards, addresses to write to, etc.

If you are a fan, get involved. We only have until mid May when NBC will make a decision.

Thanks,
Isis
Old 02-26-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At this point it's too late.

You know how NBC can tell if they should 'Save Surface'? If the ratings reflect it.

The show had it's chance. I saw quite a few ads for it through out the season, so they didn't really ignore the show. I guess people just didn't tune in.
Old 02-26-06, 07:45 AM

Seantn
I repectfully disagree. 9.1 million viewers for the last episode. NBC has said that they will make the decision in mid May. That gives us 10 weeks to let them know that we are out here, ready to watch and support the show. If you enjoyed it, get involved. We have gotten very positive responses from NBC and the advertisers. You do have a voice in this as long as you use it and make yourself heard. I hope you will become Project Nim's newest supporter.
Thanks,
Isis
Old 02-26-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please let this show die a merciful death.

It has to be one of the most idiotically written shows in TV history and needs to go away. Maybe a final 2-hour TV movie to wrap up the loose ends for you fans, but please -- let it die. Writers (and actors) of this calibre do not deserve a job.
Old 02-26-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
If NBC had any confidence in this show they would have ordered 22 episodes instead of just 15. Wrap it up in a TV movie, forget a 2nd season. Out of all the new shows from this season, this was by far my least favorite.
Old 02-26-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I like the series, I don't think some fan write in will help, due to if it didn't do well in the ratings, so execs decide to drop it. It had a chance unlike everyones poster boy for not-given-a-chance show 'Firefly'. It was played in order, at a decent time (mondays at 8) in the same timeslot, not up against some massive hit, & even had the eps played again on Sci-Fi so it did have the time to get an audience but people just didn't tune in.
Old 02-26-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At this rate I will be able to get rid of my Tivos.
Old 02-26-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Personally, I've only seen the finale but am watching some reruns on scifi, but I liked it so much that I even thought it was far better than lost. But I'm not sure if the show needs to go on. The finale seemed great enough to have the show end on a high note.
Old 02-27-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wont miss it. I saw a couple of episodes and dint really want to keep watching. All these shows came out riding onn the coat tails of Lost and none were that good.
I love these types of shows when they are do well. Hopefully the next batch will be better.
Old 02-27-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
It has to be one of the most idiotically written shows in TV history and needs to go away.
That says it all!

Lake Bell's character would have been 'disappeared' before the end of the second episode. That's about when I stopped DivXing the show and laughed hysterically whenever I heard the title Surface spoken.
Old 02-27-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sheeesh ... this is a camp show. Like lost in space. You aren't supposed to take it seriously like Lost, Invasion or Threshold. It isn't like those shows at all.

This show is a homage to movies of the 70's & 80's. The acting is bad. But that is part of the charm that makes it work. Like a "B" movie. Campy, Cheesy and over the top. Mediocre special effects. Thats ok. It is all part of the fun.

This show could very well end up being a cult favorite.
Old 02-27-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Surface wasn't bad. I enjoyed it most weeks but not enough to start petitions or walking picket lines over it. If they want to cancel it, fine. Plenty more to choose from on TV. If it get renewed, I'll probably watch. It's just not one of those shows that I suspect many people were all that passionate about.

IMO, I think it's main problem wasn't the storyline or the writing. It just didn't have any characters that were particularly likable or sympathetic...other than possibly NIM I guess.
Old 02-28-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by moocher
Surface wasn't bad. I enjoyed it most weeks but not enough to start petitions or walking picket lines over it. If they want to cancel it, fine. Plenty more to choose from on TV. If it get renewed, I'll probably watch. It's just not one of those shows that I suspect many people were all that passionate about.
That's about how I feel. If it comes back, I'll watch it since I have nothing else I watch on Monday. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. I'd like closure, but I'm fine if I never see it again.

Originally Posted by moocher
IMO, I think it's main problem wasn't the storyline or the writing. It just didn't have any characters that were particularly likable or sympathetic...other than possibly NIM I guess.
Yeah, but I'll always have my memories of Lake Bell stripping down to her bra and panties.
Old 02-28-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Yeah, but I'll always have my memories of Lake Bell stripping down to her bra and panties.
Now if we were to get more of THAT...I would protest and form picket lines...
Old 02-28-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
It was just too SLOW. It finally picked up toward the end and now they want to end it?

It would be interesting to see what a second season would be like as it would be one of the most different transitions of any show.

I think another season or at least a TV movie is what NBC should do for rewarding those of us who took a chance on THEIR show.
Old 03-04-06, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all of your replies, everyone. Of course, this isn't a show for everyone.
Ayre said it best, in my opinion. Not many liked the original Star Trek in the first season either. Threshold didn't even make it through the season. I wanted to like it and gave up after 2 episodes. Surface faced some difficulties since it was originally slated for 22 episodes and was cut to 15 due to programming conflicts. I think that affected some of the continuity and character development. While you may think the acting is not very good, I could say that about 90% of what is on the air. Half of the programming doesn't even have actors anymore. Reality this and that. Who wants to see Donald Trump and Martha Stewart. Come on, be honest. Isn't Lake Bell better than Martha? Do you want to see Martha in a bikini? No, I didn't think so.
The petition is growing. Over 7100 signatures and we have gotten very positive feedback from the sponsers.
Even if you are ambiguous about it, we could use your help. Please sign the petition.
Just think. If it becomes a classic, you can say that you were in on the ground floor movement.
www.savesurface.com

Thanks,
Isis
Old 03-05-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

isis -- while Surface is not my cup of tea, I do wish you all the best in your petition.

But I have to say I actually laughed out loud when you compared Surface to Star Trek TOS! Forget the acting for the moment (both were quite cheesy), but one is a textbook example of excellent scifi writing while the other is a textbook example of scifi hackery at its worst. This is my main issue with Surface.
Old 03-05-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I thought about it and signed the petition (#7186):

"Okay, let's be honest; it's not the best show out there. So many plot holes and bad dialogue. BUT I keep watching. It can be fun to watch and has a decent premise. Bring it back, if not a full season, maybe a mini-series to tie things up. The ratings will improve, I'm sure."
Old 03-06-06, 08:49 PM

Flave
Thanks for the good wishes. I'm not sure what you mean by sci-fi hackery but I respect your opinion. I'm intrigued by the dna/gene manipulation idea and want to know what they have been doing with plants and other animals. I have spent many years in botany and have done virus introduction to create new color strains. Also, cloning ferns has been going on for over 20 years so this is all very real science to me. The only comparrison I made to Star Trek was that many didn't care for it in it's first season, either. I wasn't one of them, however. Thanks again for your input to the thread.

TomOpus
Thanks for signing the petition. I think every signature has value. We are trying to help those ratings improve and without a second season, that will be hard to do. We have been writing letters to NBC executives, emailed the advertisers, printed bumper stickers using the banner graphic from www.savesurface.com, had friends with websites put links to the petition on their sites and are still trying to come up with ways to reach people. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks again.
Isis
Old 03-07-06, 08:21 AM

If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks again.
Isis
sell a few bumpers stickers on Ebay for .99. Set up the auction as a promotional ad for the petition and hopefully you can generate some serious hits based on people checking out your auction.

Also start postings for bumprer stickers at Craigslist for some of the biggest cities with direct links to the petition
Old 03-07-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about a Myspace page for Nimrod?
Old 03-07-06, 10:26 PM

Masbrad

There is a problem with selling the bumper stickers. The graphic background used on savesurface.com belongs to NBC. I made up a few of them and have distributed them to friends and family. I have contacted printers/sellers online to see if they could print and sell them and they can't without permission.

In the meantime, if you want to make a quick one at home, use a large font and print www.savesurface.com on it. Use wide clear tape and put it on your bumper. Easy to remove when mid May rolls around and we have hopefully accomplished our mission. If you have been to the website, you know what the graphic looks like. Craig sent me the jpeg he used and I added the web address and printed them. It would get expensive if you were doing very many.

Thanks for your input.

Isis
Old 03-07-06, 10:34 PM

Jadzia
If you are a registered member at Myspace, please start a Surface Fans thread on forums/tv/primetime. I registered but they won't let new members post for a week. Do that on any other message boards that you go to. All you really need to do is post the www.savesurface.com address since Craig has so kindly gotten all of the information in one place. NBC will decide in mid May if they will give us a second season so it is important to reach as many people as possible.
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't forget to sign the petitions and let everyone you know about Save Surface and Project Nim.

Isis
Old 04-12-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is new with Surface? Was it ever officially canceled? Any news about a possible season 2?
Old 04-13-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would love to see Surface come back for a second season. The show was interesting and certainly fun enough to keep me coming back each week.
I also dumped Invasion after 2 episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.